DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Educate me on Gamer Chairs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/650147-educate-me-gamer-chairs.html)

Goldberg74 03-26-20 03:55 PM

Educate me on Gamer Chairs

I am a professor that has had all of his classes moved online and am working out of my home studio/office for the rest of the term.

My $50 IKEA chair that I've had for almost four years is good for the short stints (an hour here or there) but it's taking it's toll and I've had my eye on "Gamer Chairs" for the last few years.

I think I'm going to get one.

So, educate me on "Gamer Chairs." Thanks in advance.

Note: I'm 6' 2", 260-ish lbs (and losing weight)... I know that chairs come in sizes. My budget is $500-$800 (or more if needs be... I can write it off as office furniture).

andicus 03-26-20 04:10 PM

Re: Educate me on Gamer Chairs

I bought one, years ago, from Costco (thankfully!). It was a big brand (DXRacer), and it was horrible.

I used it for a couple of days and then packed it up and returned it.

It's been long enough that I don't remember exactly what I didn't like, but do remember it felt bulky and not very comfortable, at all.

I highly recommend trying what you think you want, in person, rather than ordering it online, like I did.

Michael Corvin 03-26-20 05:57 PM

I have a Lay-Z-Boy. That's my gamer chair. It's 35 years old. We bought a new/used one last year to replace it and dumped it a month or so later because it wasn't as comfy. The old one is too comfy to retire.

Of course pricewise, it's way above the typical "gamer chair" price range... but broken down over 35 years... :lol:

majorjoe23 03-26-20 07:10 PM

I’ve never found one that seemed more comfortable or useful than an armchair or couch.

collven 03-27-20 12:26 AM

Recliners and couches are fine for console gaming on the TV, but that's not what Goldberg is asking for. Unfortunately, I don't have a good recommendation for you.

shizawn 03-27-20 12:30 AM

I think those gamer chairs are pretty hideous looking and they don't look all that comfortable. I used to think getting a leather chair would be great, but I'm all about breathable mesh chairs since they tend to keep you cooler especially when sitting for long periods of time. I recommend getting a Herman Miller Aeron. You can often find companies selling lots of used ones on Craigslist if you don't want to shell out for a brand new one, since they are quite expensive.

though I agree with andicus that you should always try out a chair before buying one.

andicus 03-27-20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by shizawn (Post 13712934)
I think those gamer chairs are pretty hideous looking and they don't look all that comfortable. I used to think getting a leather chair would be great, but I'm all about breathable mesh chairs since they tend to keep you cooler especially when sitting for long periods of time. I recommend getting a Herman Miller Aeron. You can often find companies selling lots of used ones on Craigslist if you don't want to shell out for a brand new one, since they are quite expensive.

though I agree with andicus that you should always try out a chair before buying one.

And I agree with shizawn, that Herman Miller chairs are excellent. I ended up buying a Mirra 2. Yes, definitely not cheap, but the build quality is excellent. Every other chair I've owned developed squeaks/creaks that drove me nuts. This Mirra 2 is excellent. Smooth adjustment, comfortable, and feels very durable. Only minor complaint is that I'd like a very slightly lower recline setting. One is too far and the next one could be just a bit further than it is.

K&AJones 03-27-20 08:48 AM

Hey

I actually work for a Office Systems Company that's a Steelcase Dealer. Be it chairs to desks to file cabinets to office cubicles to executive suites...we cover it. No different than other like Herman Miller to HON to Knoll to Haworth. I've been in this for 27 years and and been in Service for 20yrs working on on it all; including office chairs. I've seen everything from the basic Office depot $85 to the extreme $1200.00. I've been asked countless times what's so different from that plus awesome looking $125.00 to the "Standard" office chair from Steelcase, Herman Miller, HON and others that average around $500 to $800.

For one...the Warranty on every part on those chairs. They are usually around 10-15 years depending on the part. Something breaks, it's replaced and the labor is re-reimbursed by the manufacture..not one penny from the customer. Most the time I can go out within a week and replace it but sometimes it has to be ordered and gets in about 3 weeks. Even afterward, I've seen chairs 20 years old still going on strong. And if anything, it's the pneumatic cylinder that goes out..like your shocks on your car...and it's easy to replace. Depends on make and model but they can go for $75 to $125 a pop.

On the other side of the coin...I've seen a lot of...Fancy Looking Chairs...that customers went for based on looks that started falling apart in months. A lot of the parts from Casters to pneumatic cylinders to chair controls are generic and can be interchanged with other chairs. Now the Chair itself...same thing. The type of fabric is important just like the construction on the inside is. Some are made by forming a poly-plastic material to some actually formed by a layer wood (Plywood like that formed). Also important...and a lot is the actual foam padding. There's different grades and a harden factor as to not just thickness but firmness.

As to what you want to look for....well if anything one with a solid chair control mechanism. Some of these Fancy Smancy Gaming Chairs from what I can see has a no thrill basic run-of-the-mill chair control that probably doesn't cost $25.00. You want one with of course the basic up and down but a Tilt Lock Function and a good tension adjustment knob. This is the foundation and how the upper chair sits. Adjust height Arms are really good and also can they go outward. Usually they'll have a adjustment knob or something where you can spread the arms out. A good back back that fits the back and at least hits your shoulders. I prefer backs with some curve along with a Lumbar Support. Good padding on seat and back is a must. The growing tread has been thin and streamline...it's all about looks and some just don't like bulky padded chairs in the work environment...also I don't care for those Mesh Backs. Some love them but I'e seen several get snagged and start tearing or come apart from the frame.

If you do some looking, there's plenty of Office Furniture Liquidators all over that has surplus of not very old office chairs. It be like buying say a 5 year Truck with less than 50K miles...these are still pretty solid and probaby better made...keep in mind these are made with the though people are using them 8-10 hours a day. Here's a article on The Best Gaming Chairs and below it a article on Best Office Chairs.....notice the difference in the Chair Control Mechanisms...while with the Gaming Chairs it's all about looks....some of these Gaming Chairs have just a Up & Down Handle. Some will have it where you pull the handle in & out to lock and unlock the back...those mechanisms are cheap and suck. FWIW, I have a 462 Version 1 Leap that I sort of built using parts from three broken chairs. It's about a 2007 model.....If you do look into a used one be it Steelcase, Herman Miller, Knoll, HON or whoever...get the exact model and date...all have a tag under the seat that has PO, SQ, Ack Numbers, date, etc...you then can look up reviews but also ask if something goes bad how long will they cover it for?
chrome-extension://hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd/nhc.htm#url=https://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-chairs/

FWIW...I have a Steelcase

Why So Blu? 03-27-20 09:18 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...91ab287f51.gif

Nick Danger 03-27-20 09:27 AM

I don't have a gaming chair, but I'm about your size. Get a high-back executive chair rated for 300 pounds. I've had one at work and another at home for years, and they're both still solid.

I'd recommend the HON 3500 series, but they've discontinued it.

Michael Corvin 03-27-20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by collven (Post 13712933)
Recliners and couches are fine for console gaming on the TV, but that's not what Goldberg is asking for. Unfortunately, I don't have a good recommendation for you.

:shrug: I didn't know office chairs had been rebranded as gaming chairs. I thought he was talking about one of these:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a4d1e96d02.jpg

Goldberg74 03-27-20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13713383)
:shrug: I didn't know office chairs had been rebranded as gaming chairs. I thought he was talking about one of these:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a4d1e96d02.jpg

Yeah, I should clarify that... 😉

Michael Corvin 04-07-20 10:05 AM

https://slickdeals.net/f/13963580-sa...?src=frontpage

$128 gaming chair at Sam's Cub with free shipping

Goldberg74 04-08-20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13719612)
https://slickdeals.net/f/13963580-sa...?src=frontpage

$128 gaming chair at Sam's Cub with free shipping

Thanks for the link and info. I've seen that chair at Sam's Club... but sadly, it wouldn't hold me. ;)

I have a friend in the Gaming Industry and his work went 50/50 with him on this chair for his home office. He's going to let me know in a week how it feels:

https://secretlab.co/collections/titan-series/

Edison 04-08-20 05:23 PM

Those Secret Lab chairs look nice. I'm really liking that Overwatch chair, not so much for the Overwatch logo but I dig the orange/black.

All of the "gaming" chairs I have tried out I don't think would be comfortable for a long period.

andicus 04-08-20 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Edison (Post 13720481)
Those Secret Lab chairs look nice. I'm really liking that Overwatch chair, not so much for the Overwatch logo but I dig the orange/black.

All of the "gaming" chairs I have tried out I don't think would be comfortable for a long period.

And that's the problem. They 'look' nice, but they're not comfortable. At least in my experience.

K&AJones 04-09-20 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13720360)
Thanks for the link and info. I've seen that chair at Sam's Club... but sadly, it wouldn't hold me. ;)

I have a friend in the Gaming Industry and his work went 50/50 with him on this chair for his home office. He's going to let me know in a week how it feels:

https://secretlab.co/collections/titan-series/

I refer to that type of Chair Control as a "Scissor Style"...instead of being flat it acts like say spring loaded scissors....far better than several other cheap looking chair controls....plus it does have a Back Tilt Option....that's the handle popping out on the left side. Overall not bad but if looking in that price ballpark I'd still say look around for maybe a well known brand of Office Chair...Herman miller, Steelcase and there's a series we sell Sit-On-It...that have some good models....keep in mind, these Office Chairs are made with being used like 7-10 hours per day....