DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   NFL 2K 2021... 2k is back! Kind of... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/650035-nfl-2k-2021-2k-back-kind.html)

Rob V 03-10-20 08:37 AM

NFL 2K 2021... 2k is back! Kind of...

Not sure what to make of the "non simulation" thing. I hope it's not NFL Blitz-like and can truly challenge Madden.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nfl-2k-...-football-game

Sonny Corinthos 03-10-20 08:42 AM

Re: NFL 2K 2021... 2k is back! Kind of...

From the wording from the article, it sounds like a Mobile or a NFL Street/Blitz type game.

Rob V 03-10-20 09:08 AM

I hope they found a loophole... 2K was wonderful back in the day.

spainlinx0 03-10-20 09:08 AM

Even if it was a true successor to 2K1, I wouldn't be all that hyped anymore, and I played an abhorrent amount of 2K1. The microtransaction disaster that are the NBA games has soured me on Take 2.

Sonny Corinthos 03-10-20 09:48 AM

Per this article, EA's exclusive simulation rights are up and the end of the 2021 NFL Season. So maybe this is 2K's way of getting it's foot in the door. But if their games are as bad as WWE 2K 20, it's nothing to get excited about. Hopefully, this won't be the case with their NFL games.

Under the agreement, 2K will create non-simulation football game experiences. Jason Argent, Senior Vice President of Sports Strategy and Licensing at 2K, describes it as "a deep, fun and very authentic product offering. They're not (a) very traditional simulation product".

The simulation rights are currently exclusively owned by Electronic Arts, who have been creating the Madden NFL game franchise since 1988. According to a source, those rights are up at the end of the 2021 NFL season. 2K, along with other companies, has expressed interest in acquiring those rights.

https://www.espn.com/esports/story/_...tion-agreement

Noonan 03-10-20 09:52 AM

With what NBA2K has turned into, I would have no interest in a new NFL game from them. I guess I can hope that a 2nd player means EA may actually have to improve Madden beyond the garbage updates each new year brings.

Maxflier 03-10-20 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13701002)
With what NBA2K has turned into

This year was the first time in as long as I can remember that I didn't buy NBA 2K. So tired of their bullshit.

Noonan 03-10-20 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 13701010)
This year was the first time in as long as I can remember that I didn't buy NBA 2K. So tired of their bullshit.

You mean you don't like your full price game releases to be nothing more than a microtransaction, mobile game cash grab??

Maxflier 03-10-20 03:00 PM

Yeah, hopefully more people start boycotting this bullshit. I don't want this future.

nickdawgy 03-11-20 02:17 AM

I played NBA 2k20, and while it was a fun game, I think I’ve had enough of NBA 2k TV and the 2K Emcee for a long time.

csant 03-11-20 07:19 AM

If its anything like NFK 2k series... I don't think anyone else in the world would be happier then me. I fucking hate madden dating back to the first one. The online games were so much damn fun.

fujishig 03-11-20 08:42 AM

You have to remember that they have absolutely no competition in the NBA space. If Live was even halfway decent there would be pressure on them to at least change up their VC stuff, but EA just can't get it done. Also, if you just want to play five on five and you don't care about myplayer or any of the various card games, I'm pretty sure 2k20 is perfectly fine even without microtransactions, it's mainly myplayer which is just a grind and a half.

At least this means they are building a team back up in preparation for maybe getting the license back, and like I implied earlier competition is good, so anything that pushes Madden is good in my eyes.

spainlinx0 03-11-20 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13701543)
You have to remember that they have absolutely no competition in the NBA space. If Live was even halfway decent there would be pressure on them to at least change up their VC stuff, but EA just can't get it done. Also, if you just want to play five on five and you don't care about myplayer or any of the various card games, I'm pretty sure 2k20 is perfectly fine even without microtransactions, it's mainly myplayer which is just a grind and a half.

At least this means they are building a team back up in preparation for maybe getting the license back, and like I implied earlier competition is good, so anything that pushes Madden is good in my eyes.

That's the only factor which gives me hope for this game, and I want hope, because I really really really loved 2K5.

The Questyen 03-11-20 09:51 AM

2k makes more money on microtransactions in these games then they do on game sales so if you think they're going away you are wrong.

spainlinx0 03-11-20 10:15 AM

Well, I didn't think they were going away, hence the hope word. Take 2 might be the worst company when it comes to those practices, even though EA/Activision/Bethesda take the brunt of the heat about it.

The Questyen 03-11-20 10:21 AM

The gaming public obviously wants gaming to be this way or games like GTA Online, APEX, Fortnite which are all microtransaction driven wouldn't be taking over the industry.

spainlinx0 03-11-20 10:27 AM

I don't agree with that. The public just accepts it because they want to play the games. I believe it's been shown that the small percentage of whales generate the lion's share of all profits regarding micro-transactions. Anecdotal, but I don't know anyone who is happy with the way the industry is headed, but what can you do if you want to play the major releases?

Look at something like Witcher 3, which sold an obscene amount of copies, and it didn't have any micro-transaction nonsense. It didn't signal to the other companies that they should do the same. They probably looked at that and thought, man, how much more money could CD Projekt Red have made with armor you had to buy instead of earn?

fujishig 03-11-20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13701601)
The gaming public obviously wants gaming to be this way or games like GTA Online, APEX, Fortnite which are all microtransaction driven wouldn't be taking over the industry.

I'd say there are a lot of people who want microtransactions (and are willing to spend) and then a lot more people who would buy the game anyway but just tolerate them. So the trick for them is finding the balance. And if there was actual competition, the people who just tolerate the microtransactions as they are might just leave, prompting change.

But we'll see. There's certainly a ton of complaining from hardcore 2k fans.

Rob V 03-11-20 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13701601)

At least Apex and Fortnite could be played free of charge.

Sonny Corinthos 05-25-20 08:43 AM

It looks like the NFL Owners are going to extend EA's exclusive license on realistic simulation football games for another five years. So it looks like 2K will only be able make arcade and mobile NFL games.

csant 05-26-20 11:37 PM

What a fucking shame... I miss 2k football so much.

Sonny Corinthos 05-28-20 03:39 PM

spainlinx0 05-28-20 05:29 PM

Saves me money on buying football games.