Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Old 11-19-21, 07:22 PM
  #1551  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
So what Leif has today, will be there until next Monday? If so, then crap! Last week he had pumpkins and potatoes. Today, he has pumpkins and tomatoes. We already have all of those. I guess I will have to check out some islands to see if I can locate any wheat and sugar canes.
You're probably pumped to have wheat and sugarcane. As soon as I got those, I was able to craft probably 20+ recipes, which was awesome. The only limitation I had was I still need carrots, tomatoes, cherries, and pears. I'm hoping that Leif guy offers at least one of those next week. It also helped that I had been saving certain fish that were required for those recipes, so I just went to town. Unlocked a bunch of Nook Miles because of all that crafting...

Also managed to unlock all the Vendors on that island. The fortune teller hasn't done much, in my mind, but I guess I should wait to judge. A little pissed cause that dude that deals art, I was surprised cause I heard all the crap about him, but literally the first three art items I bought when he visited my island, they all turned out to be legit, and I donated them to the museum, yet every SINGLE item I've purchased from him since (and I always buy the one piece max per day) have proven to be fake, so that's a bit of a piss-off. I need to buy more Storage at this point, but when I found out it would cost 500 000 bells I was like, "WTF?". I probably have 300 000 bells right now but I don't wanna spend that much right now, so I just basically put items all over my basement and attic, and sold off any duplicates or excess veggies or whatever I had in my inventory.

And I understand how it was explained about how those "special islands" become unlocked, and since I don't mess with the clock, I'll just have to wait, so oh well...At least I managed to catch a couple new fish that only showed up recently due to the shift from Fall to kind of the Winter Season (I know we're still in a transition phase when it comes to that)...But whatever, still manage to put in a couple hours each day while I continue to search Indeed for a new job (hope to find one before the Christmas season really kicks in...there should be retail openings but all I can do is wait and keep applying)...The game is a good distraction for those that are looking for work...Takes your mind off of things as opposed to checking your phone or e-mail every half-hour hoping you got a response for a prospective employer...

Wish every the best...
Old 11-19-21, 07:46 PM
  #1552  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 435
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

You might consider it cheating but:
https://www.polygon.com/animal-cross...ainting-statue
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (11-19-21)
Old 11-19-21, 07:53 PM
  #1553  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
You might consider it cheating but:
https://www.polygon.com/animal-cross...ainting-statue
Haha, I knew this existed so I might check it out. Trying to avoid this sort of thing but appreciate the link...Cause this dude is pissing me off...Is there any way to get rid of the fake crap other than maybe taking them to one of those islands I visit through Nook Miles or that boat and just ditching them there? I thought I could put them in that recycling bin at Nook's place but you can't put stuff there, and obviously they won't let you sell them...Just want them outta my inventory cause they're taking up space but I'm not just going to put them outside somewhere on the island (which you can't do with the 3-4 paintings I have anyway)...Maybe I can give them to another islander as a gift? I guess that's one avenue I haven't explored, but I figured they'd also reject them...

Right now I have at least 5 statues and I think 3 paintings taking up space in Storage...
Old 11-19-21, 08:19 PM
  #1554  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 435
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Another tip if you have Nintendo Online. Stock up on turnips Sunday and visit:
https://turnip.exchange/

Even better Nintendo Online allows you to trade with the incredibly generous DVDChris.
The following users liked this post:
DVDChris (11-23-21)
Old 11-19-21, 08:27 PM
  #1555  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
Another tip if you have Nintendo Online. Stock up on turnips Sunday and visit:
https://turnip.exchange/

Even better Nintendo Online allows you to trade with the incredibly generous DVDChris.
Unfortunately I don't have Nintendo Online cause my actual real-life living residence status is in question, but I do check Turnip prices every day (twice a day, actually), and I know they fluctuate but this particular week has sucked. I think I paid like 95-96 bells for them, and as of today, it's gone down to like 53 bells. I'm hoping they go up tomorrow, but if not, I'll just sell them anyway, lest they rot. Oh well. I still haven't seen one of those days that people talk about when they spike to like 300-500 bells. Would be nice, but oh well...I only bought 100 of them this past Sunday so I won't lose too much money...

Last edited by Goonies85; 11-19-21 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-19-21, 08:38 PM
  #1556  
Premium Member
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: In my Breakfast Nook looking at Why So Blu
Posts: 16,799
Received 452 Likes on 357 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Anyone know how many cooking DIY’s there are?
Old 11-19-21, 08:44 PM
  #1557  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,030
Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Anyone know how many cooking DIY’s there are?
141 according to this site:

https://nintendowire.com/guides/anim...izons/cooking/
The following users liked this post:
E Unit (11-20-21)
Old 11-19-21, 08:48 PM
  #1558  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,030
Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by Goonies85 View Post
...Is there any way to get rid of the fake crap other than maybe taking them to one of those islands I visit through Nook Miles or that boat and just ditching them there? I thought I could put them in that recycling bin at Nook's place but you can't put stuff there, and obviously they won't let you sell them...Just want them outta my inventory cause they're taking up space but I'm not just going to put them outside somewhere on the island (which you can't do with the 3-4 paintings I have anyway)...Maybe I can give them to another islander as a gift? I guess that's one avenue I haven't explored, but I figured they'd also reject them...

Right now I have at least 5 statues and I think 3 paintings taking up space in Storage...
You can put them in one of the trash can/bin items (one that you obtain or buy, not the Island recycle bin)
Old 11-20-21, 09:39 AM
  #1559  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
You can put them in one of the trash can/bin items (one that you obtain or buy, not the Island recycle bin)
Ah, thank you. I have placed a garbage bin by Nook's, so I'll use that. Good tip.
Old 11-21-21, 09:28 PM
  #1560  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Spoke too soon; got a statue from Redd today and it turned out to be legit so I was able to donate it. Also, dumped that excess art stuff in the recycling bin, as advised, clearing up around 10 spaces in Storage. Learned some new recipes, and got one for a Golden Sling-Shot, to go along with my Golden Axe and Golden Watering Can. Hoping tomorrow when Leif changes inventory he has some combination of Oranges, Carrots, Cherries, Pears, etc. Still only currently have Apples, Coconuts, Peaches, and Potatoes, and I think I've done every DIY recipe requiring those items alone, and just need some other fruits/veggies in order to craft more. I also noticed that since the last update, not a day goes by where some islander is inviting themselves to my home, and sometimes it's been 2-3 per day. They give you a gift each time, so that's okay, but sometimes I've started declining just cause it takes up time showing them every room...
Old 11-21-21, 09:32 PM
  #1561  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,030
Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Do they ever leave on their own when they visit? I always walk out after the gift or number game.
Old 11-21-21, 11:35 PM
  #1562  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Do they ever leave on their own when they visit? I always walk out after the gift or number game.
Occasionally they do, but I'd say that's like 50/50. But I have had a few that, at least once you show them all the rooms, they peace out and ask to leave and I'm like, "Great.". But not all of them. Sometimes you just have to walk out the front door yourself before they leave...I guess the only good thing is that when you do that, they often send you a "gift" the next day...so it's not all bad...
Old 11-21-21, 11:38 PM
  #1563  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Do they ever leave on their own when they visit? I always walk out after the gift or number game.
It sucks at time and takes patience but some of them will leave you alone. I just find them annoying at points, although I pretty much always win that card game. I don't know how many times they've drawn a TWO or THREE and been like, is the next card higher? Um....Yeah....

I honestly think it depends if you've shown them all the rooms...(and that sucks if you have the attic and basement plus the others), but they will fuck off eventually...
Old 11-22-21, 01:05 PM
  #1564  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

BOO-YAH!. Spent the Bells necessary to get extra storage, as I was tired of having to constantly sell off items that I wanted to keep in my collection. Unfortunately, I went to Leif's and he's selling the same stuff as last week (Sugarcane and Wheat), so no new recipes this week, I guess. Bought a "Robot Arm", which is pretty neat. But not much else to do. Did the boat trip; another island basically the same as my own. Ditto with Nook Air Miles (I did these twice and neither island was different than mine). Went to Harv's and bought another piece of artwork but pretty sure it's like a 95% chance it turns out to be phone. Oh well.
Old 11-23-21, 07:17 PM
  #1565  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Man, did two more trips using Nook Miles, and both were just islands with more Coconuts and Apples, nothing new. I guess I got a Gyroid fragment on the one trip, but I honestly don't care for those. I think I have like 20 of them in various rooms in my place but they really don't...I don't know..."appeal" to me. Some people love them, I don't. Was hoping to find that other fruit/veggies but I guess that'll wait.

On the plus side, in real life, I ordered a pizza/wings with some of my dwindling funds. Dude shows up. I have a fifty (that's all, I had no change). I'm like, "Why don't you come over later with change? Otherwise I can't take the order..." He gives me the order for free. Says, "Here, this one's on me." Boom. Free pizza and wings. Awesome. I know it's pointless to say that but I'm just thrilled...I even called the pizza company's number and just said what great service he provided...Pay it forward...
Old 11-23-21, 10:57 PM
  #1566  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 7,944
Received 344 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by Goonies85 View Post
Man, did two more trips using Nook Miles, and both were just islands with more Coconuts and Apples, nothing new. I guess I got a Gyroid fragment on the one trip, but I honestly don't care for those. I think I have like 20 of them in various rooms in my place but they really don't...I don't know..."appeal" to me. Some people love them, I don't. Was hoping to find that other fruit/veggies but I guess that'll wait.

On the plus side, in real life, I ordered a pizza/wings with some of my dwindling funds. Dude shows up. I have a fifty (that's all, I had no change). I'm like, "Why don't you come over later with change? Otherwise I can't take the order..." He gives me the order for free. Says, "Here, this one's on me." Boom. Free pizza and wings. Awesome. I know it's pointless to say that but I'm just thrilled...I even called the pizza company's number and just said what great service he provided...Pay it forward...
OMG I HATED gyroids in the first game. Since they were unique the OCD in me didn't want to get rid of them. But then that was before there was any kind of storage. So I just had a basement full of those stupid things. Now they're actually kind of fun. The design is a lot better and less creepy looking and way smaller and I love that you can hang them on the wall to display them.
Old 11-23-21, 11:13 PM
  #1567  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,030
Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

That’s kinda what I have right now. Basement walls filled with them and a jukebox playing tunes that they bounce around with.
Old 11-24-21, 01:49 PM
  #1568  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
OMG I HATED gyroids in the first game. Since they were unique the OCD in me didn't want to get rid of them. But then that was before there was any kind of storage. So I just had a basement full of those stupid things. Now they're actually kind of fun. The design is a lot better and less creepy looking and way smaller and I love that you can hang them on the wall to display them.
Yeah, I pretty much agree, although I still find them a bit annoying. Like, I'm still one one of those jackasses that just wants to collect stuff to say I collect stuff, but they still seem pointless. Okay, they dance around and shit, but I really could care less.

In other news, once again I did the boat thing and the Nook Travels thing. Both times? Nothing new. More apples and coconuts. Great. Whatever.

Trying to sell Zelda: BOTW, as I am almost, almost completely out of money. At least I paid my landlord/roome for December. But then again, he opens my door and rages about missing Vodka it turns out his girlfriend drank with her friends...so I don't know...I just remember being disoriented and being like "WTF?"...I had no idea what the prick was talking about...
Old 11-24-21, 03:13 PM
  #1569  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Haha Let's hope Zelda sells. Outta money. Going to Co-O, as that store offers food to those that have none...Long walk, though...Damn...
Old 11-24-21, 04:39 PM
  #1570  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,597
Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Dude this isn't your personal blog. We don't need to know every thing that is happening in your life. This is a thread to discuss Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Create a thread in the offtopic forum if you want to rant about your living situation.
Old 11-24-21, 05:36 PM
  #1571  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,335
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

… so, in ACNH the other night, my wife went hunting for a new villager and the first Plane Ticket took her to what we’ve dubbed “The Spider-verse.”

That little ring of an island spawned tarantulas left and right. She’s catch one right as another would pounce. In the end she caught 24 of them and invited Patty to the island.

A bonus happened when Flick happened to be visiting that day… so she sold them (and two wasps) for just over $300k.



Old 11-24-21, 06:35 PM
  #1572  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,759
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Dude this isn't your personal blog. We don't need to know every thing that is happening in your life. This is a thread to discuss Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Create a thread in the offtopic forum if you want to rant about your living situation.
Point made. No more posting.
Old 11-24-21, 06:46 PM
  #1573  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,030
Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
… so, in ACNH the other night, my wife went hunting for a new villager and the first Plane Ticket took her to what we’ve dubbed “The Spider-verse.”

That little ring of an island spawned tarantulas left and right. She’s catch one right as another would pounce. In the end she caught 24 of them and invited Patty to the island.

A bonus happened when Flick happened to be visiting that day… so she sold them (and two wasps) for just over $300k.
Nice! Those things still make my wife jump when they show up unexpected.

Oddly (being The Cow), Patty was my first villager. I still have her and another cow (Norma) that I picked up early on.

Old 11-24-21, 07:12 PM
  #1574  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,335
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Nice! Those things still make my wife jump when they show up unexpected.

Oddly (being The Cow), Patty was my first villager. I still have her and another cow (Norma) that I picked up early on.
I still have Sterling (my island’s OG) and had Norma for awhile.
The following users liked this post:
The Cow (11-24-21)
Old 11-25-21, 09:26 AM
  #1575  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 7,415
Received 129 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Kind of off topic, but does anyone still play Animal Crossing on Gamecube version? I was feeling nostalgic for it so I am gonna pickup a copy. Thoughts?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.