DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/649903-animal-crossing-new-horizons-3-20-20-switch.html)

Goldberg74 05-04-20 10:43 AM

Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13735130)
It's a gamble. There's some kind of algorithm that places like:
https://stalks.io/
can help you predict but it's still not foolproof. Though I have never seen a situation where it doesn't go above the asking price, even a little, the question becomes if you're willing to wait to see if it goes higher. Also there are two prices every day, the price basically changes at open and at noon, so 12 different prices a week (since Sunday is a no sale day)

My 16yo scours Discord and find folks with island with outrageous prices and travels there. Sometimes there's a fee (a gold ingot, a stack of wood, etc.) and sometimes, they just want to help (both normal players and time-jumpers). He made 2.8 million bells that week.

Goldberg74 05-04-20 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13735047)
That means you now have tarantulas and we have scorpions. I would love to visit sometime.

I've only seen scorpions twice... well, I didn't see them until they got me. ;)

I'll open my island to folks this week and drop you a note. I'm not quite sure what it takes to spawn them.

The Questyen 05-04-20 10:45 AM

The only things I would like are the litter box and I'm also collecting the soft serve lamps. I currently have vanilla, rainbow, and strawberry swirl if anyone has any of the other ones let me know.

dsa_shea 05-04-20 10:46 AM

Goldberg, if you are around and on, I would like to visit. I am getting ready to fire up my console. I'd also like for you to stop by my island and let me know what you think. Also, you can note the items you like and I can get them in your catalog or try and get them for you.

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13735204)
The only things I would like are the litter box and I'm also collecting the soft serve lamps. I currently have vanilla, rainbow, and strawberry swirl if anyone has any of the other ones let me know.

I have a couple of litter boxes. Let me check for the soft serve lamps. I think I have soft serve hats but not sure about lamps. I do have a purple sweet potato lamp. I just tried to order and send it to you but you are not appearing in my friend list in the game.

fujishig 05-04-20 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13735202)
My 16yo scours Discord and find folks with island with outrageous prices and travels there. Sometimes there's a fee (a gold ingot, a stack of wood, etc.) and sometimes, they just want to help (both normal players and time-jumpers). He made 2.8 million bells that week.

I'm kind of hoping we have enough people here that I don't have to go to a stranger's island. Well you guys are technically strangers but we are united by our love of outdated media. Or something.

I invested heavily in the turnip market this week so I'm hoping someone has a good algorithm this week... :)

My forecast is a high either tomorrow or Wed morning so at least I'll know soon.

dsa_shea 05-04-20 11:27 AM

My island is buying turnips for a whopping 90 bells. I'm so glad that I didn't have to resort to this method of making money.

DVDChris 05-04-20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13734764)
Here's the fossils I'm still looking for:

Iguanodon Torso
Left Ptera Wing
Megacero Tail

I've got a Megacero Tail I can give you

The Cow 05-04-20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 13735345)
I've got a Megacero Tail I can give you

That would be awesome, how can I pick it up? Not sure how you can transfer those things other than mail. I can open my island if a drop off works.

dsa_shea sent me the other 2 today (THANKS!) and this would complete my collection.

dsa_shea 05-04-20 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13735409)
That would be awesome, how can I pick it up? Not sure how you can transfer those things other than mail. I can open my island if a drop off works.

dsa_shea sent me the other 2 today (THANKS!) and this would complete my collection.

Those were the two that Decker sent to me and I sent them to you. Anyone want to do some island hopping? It is pouring on my island right now.

spainlinx0 05-04-20 03:57 PM

I'm about to head out so I can't island hop, but if anyone has a Plesio Skull, I would be in your debt. It's my last piece needed for my museum.

DVDChris 05-04-20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13735409)

We have to be best friends to send stuff via mail. Else I can open my gates now.

SmackDaddy 05-04-20 06:35 PM

So, how does the new "tent/house" outline you get when placing a tent for a new home correlate to the finished product? You get a rectangle with about 3/4 of it shaded (longways). I wish it would visualize a sample house rather than a construction site. I'm adding a house for a new resident and would like to line it up in a an existing row. When I placed my campsite tent I was able to walk all the way around the site (one corner was close to a river) but once it was completed I could no longer make it past that corner. So, I know the placement rectangle and temp construction site aren't exactly the best thing to go by.

dsa_shea 05-04-20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13735419)
I'm about to head out so I can't island hop, but if anyone has a Plesio Skull, I would be in your debt. It's my last piece needed for my museum.

Time to celebrate!!! On the way.

dsa_shea 05-04-20 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 13735512)
So, how does the new "tent/house" outline you get when placing a tent for a new home correlate to the finished product? You get a rectangle with about 3/4 of it shaded (longways). I wish it would visualize a sample house rather than a tent. I'm adding a house for a new resident and would like to line it up in a an existing row. When I placed my campsite tent I was able to walk all the way around the site (one corner was close to a river) but once it was completed I could no longer make it past that corner.

That part is a bit frustrating. I don't think there is an exact way to spot the house. I also wish that they could show you what the house looks like and where it sits before you decide. Well, you will get the chance later to move houses for a small fee.

The Questyen 05-04-20 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13734001)
I usually ignore the "hot items" that you sell in the Nook store but I happened to check yesterday and the item they were buying only took like 4 softwood and 2 iron nuggets to make of which I have 500 or so of each in storage. I didn't even use a quarter of my storage of those items and still made over 200,000 bells in less than 10 minutes of work.

Just a reminder for people low on bells check your hot items. Today my hot item was an iron lamp that sells for 6000 bells and only takes 4 iron nuggets and 2 clay to make. I spent 20 minutes making them and made 1,000,000 bells.

Maxflier 05-05-20 10:29 AM

One thing that pissed me off about the last game and pisses me off even more that it is still a thing in this one is how they can’t be bothered to indicate that you already own a particular KK Slider song when it’s in the shop.

fujishig 05-05-20 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 13735853)
One thing that pissed me off about the last game and pisses me off even more that it is still a thing in this one is how they can’t be bothered to indicate that you already own a particular KK Slider song when it’s in the shop.

I'm more bothered by them not indicating if you already own an item in the shop (any shop).

At least for the songs, you can check the catalog of songs you own in the same interface. A few extra clicks but it's easy. For the items, I have to keep a checklist and then there are like all these variants. You really can't just show me that I own like three out of the five variants of this shirt in the shop? Or am I missing something obvious?

Anyone get a picture from a villager yet? That's the only reason I haven't kicked anyone out yet.

dsa_shea 05-05-20 10:55 AM

Once you get the shop app in your phone it makes it pretty easy to see if you already have an item and a particular variant unlocked. I don't like that the store stocks items that you already have. At least give me variants that I don't have unlocked. That's why certain people in the community have cataloging parties. I haven't been to one, but it is to avoid the frustration of seeing the same things over and over again.

Decker and I were discussing the airport and gate issue. He suggested that we should be able to open and close our gate to visitors anywhere on the map via our phone. I think that is one of the best ideas yet.

My biggest complaint is that we have to use a secondary site like this or another app just to communicate, even if we are both playing the game. The inability to send messages via the Switch to your online friends, when you are both adults, is infuriating.

fujishig 05-05-20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13735871)
Once you get the shop app in your phone it makes it pretty easy to see if you already have an item and a particular variant unlocked. I don't like that the store stocks items that you already have. At least give me variants that I don't have unlocked. That's why certain people in the community have cataloging parties. I haven't been to one, but it is to avoid the frustration of seeing the same things over and over again.

Decker and I were discussing the airport and gate issue. He suggested that we should be able to open and close our gate to visitors anywhere on the map via our phone. I think that is one of the best ideas yet.

My biggest complaint is that we have to use a secondary site like this or another app just to communicate, even if we are both playing the game. The inability to send messages via the Switch to your online friends, when you are both adults, is infuriating.

I'm pretty sure you can send messages if both are playing the game, but you have to be "best friends."

My frustration with the inventory system is that it keeps track of exactly what items you've already held and which variants you have, how hard would it be to mark items you already have with some marker when you're in the store? This is especially true for stuff like Able Sisters. But there's a long list of QOL improvements that for whatever reason they left in:
a) Tools breaking. Having to craft every tool twice every single time. No indicator when it's going to break
b) Able Sisters: why can't I buy multiple items at once in the dressing room? I get you want to try them on.
c) Online: the gate system, communicating, etc. Though to be fair this is better than most of their online implementation
d) Same screen co-op sucks
e) One island, one switch.
f) Not being able to lock placed items
g) If I want let's say, 20 weeds, I need to pick them out of a stack of 100 one by one. Why can't I stack more seeds than 10?

etc, etc.

dsa_shea 05-05-20 11:34 AM

I agree about all of that. I mentioned a week or so ago that they really need to differentiate the decorate and play settings in some way. Have a lock/unlock mode. Also, why they don't allow you to grab more than one or increase the bulk buying more than the 5 is beyond me. Having to do two-part tool building also is a time suck. I just crafted 1,000 tools today and my final mile challenge for that category is crafting 3,000. I have almost 400 hours already in this game.

The Cow 05-05-20 11:38 AM

So, how does the new "tent/house" outline you get when placing a tent for a new home correlate to the finished product? You get a rectangle with about 3/4 of it shaded (longways). I wish it would visualize (or imagine) a sample house rather than a construction site. I'm adding a house for a new resident and would like to line it up in a an existing row. When I placed my campsite tent I was able to walk all the way around the site (one corner was close to a river) but once it was completed I could no longer make it past that corner. So, I know the placement rectangle and temp construction site aren't exactly the best thing to go by.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13735514)
That part is a bit frustrating. I don't think there is an exact way to spot the house. I also wish that they could show you what the house looks like and where it sits before you decide. Well, you will get the chance later to move houses for a small fee.

When you place the rectangle, one of the options (the 2nd one, I think) is to allow you to visualize it before confirming that's what you want. It does show you an actual house there and let's you change your mind if you don't like the location.

dsa_shea 05-05-20 11:50 AM

Anyone else need any fossils to complete your collection? I have about 40 unique ones in storage and need the space. I'd rather share the needed ones than sell them off. Please post what you are missing. I'm selling the remainder off this Thursday.

spainlinx0 05-05-20 12:05 PM

So, how does the new "tent/house" outline you get when placing a tent for a new home correlate to the finished product? You get a rectangle with about 3/4 of it shaded (longways). I wish it would visualize a sample house rather than a construction site. I'm adding a house for a new resident and would like to line it up in a an existing row. When I placed my campsite tent I was able to walk all the way around the site (one corner was close to a river) but once it was completed I could no longer make it past that corner. So, I know the placement rectangle and temp construction site aren't exactly the best thing to go by.

Here's the way I did it. I put paths outlining all the different buildings, and from there I was able to get how they fit on a grid.

Here's what you would dig or path around to line stuff up:

Mabel's Shop - 7x7
Nook's Crossing - 7 deep x 9 across
Museum - 7 deep x 9 across
Town center - (can't be moved) - 12 deep x 14 across
Your House - 7 x 7
Camp Site - 7 deep x 6 across
Villager Houses - 7 deep x 6 across

So they don't take up those spaces as it would be one less, but I would create a square/rectangle with those dimensions. Then, when I placed the mat down, I would make sure that the back of the mat lined inside of it, but it would also be flush against the back.

If you already have a house down, in order to put it on the same row, you can create a path line straight across from the space DIRECTLY BEHIND that house and keep moving horizontally. In this way you can also have an equal amount of spaces between houses as well, which was something I wanted to do.

I would recommend using pathing instead of holes because holes disappear eventually. Use the back of the houses to start lining up, because the front of the house can look deceiving based on which squares are usable or not. For example, I say 7 deep for villagers, but in some spots it's 5 deep, but the deepest it goes is 7.

I hope I'm being clear. It's easier to explain using images, but I don't have any.

The important thing, is that when you build that grid, don't touch the sides, and that house will be completely inside of it.

The clearest way to see this, is to actually dig out the holes as close as possible to a villager house you currently have. You will understand what I mean by 6x7, and well easily see how to place future houses. Each hole you dig is actually a "space" on the grid.

Goldberg74 05-05-20 01:40 PM

Just sold my turnips for 576 at an island from my son’s Discord chat.

3860 turnips netted me 2,223,360 bells!

Boooom!

dsa_shea 05-05-20 02:56 PM

Nice profit!!!