DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/649903-animal-crossing-new-horizons-3-20-20-switch.html)

spainlinx0 03-09-20 09:49 AM

Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13699551)
I'm really surprised how many old ass dudes play this game :lol: I really thought my siblings and I were the only ones that played it. I really love it but now I'm feeling twangs of guilt for all those towns that I've abandoned over the years. :(

I was thinking of opening up my 3DS town, but I decided against it. I don't even want to know what's going on in there. The townsfolk probably strung me up for neglect.

fujishig 03-09-20 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13700403)
I was thinking of opening up my 3DS town, but I decided against it. I don't even want to know what's going on in there. The townsfolk probably strung me up for neglect.

Nah, just a ton of weeds. And cockroaches.

Sonny Corinthos 03-13-20 11:24 AM

Does anyone know if you will be able to use the Nintendo controller to play this game? I hope so because the thoughts of having to use joy cons is a huge bummer.

fujishig 03-13-20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13703331)
Does anyone know if you will be able to use the Nintendo controller to play this game? I hope so because the thoughts of having to use joy cons is a huge bummer.

They sell like themed pads (not pro controllers though) so I assume so.

The Questyen 03-13-20 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13703331)

Not sure what you mean by "the Nintendo controller". Do you mean those NES style controllers for the NES online service? Or are you talking about the pro controller?

The Questyen 03-13-20 01:41 PM

Picked up my Animal Crossing Switch this morning and transferred everything over from my launch one to the new unit. Pretty easy process took about 10 minutes to transfer everything over wirelessly. I assumed this was coming out the same date as the game so I was surprised when I got the pickup email from Best Buy last night.

spainlinx0 03-13-20 01:42 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8f8573633d.jpg

Sonny Corinthos 03-14-20 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13703478)
Not sure what you mean by "the Nintendo controller". Do you mean those NES style controllers for the NES online service? Or are you talking about the pro controller?

I don't know where my head was yesterday. I meant the Pro Controller.

Decker 03-14-20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13704023)
I don't know where my head was yesterday. I meant the Pro Controller.

There are almost no games that aren’t playable with the Pro. Only gimmicky games like Mario Party. This should be fine.

I am going ahead and buying two copies- a digital one for my main Switch using my last Voucher (nothing else to spend it on anyways), and a Physical copy from Best Buy for my son’s Switch. Maybe I will visit his Island and vice versa.

spainlinx0 03-19-20 11:03 AM

Opted to digital download instead of venturing out tomorrow. I wish Nintendo would just let this thing go live right now.

davidh777 03-19-20 11:27 AM

Why did Amazon change the release date to 3/20? Is this only an Amazon thing because of the shipping crush or something?

spainlinx0 03-19-20 11:31 AM

The release date was always 3/20 as far as I know. I just pre-ordered it on the shop so it would be good to go at midnight or whenever it goes live.

davidh777 03-19-20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13707528)
The release date was always 3/20 as far as I know. I just pre-ordered it on the shop so it would be good to go at midnight or whenever it goes live.

Sorry, you’re right. It was always 3/20 and is still 3/20. They just changed my delivery date to 3/23 when I had paid $3.99 for release-date delivery. Granted I just ordered it yesterday so maybe I’m too far back in the queue. Not sure why their e-mail about the delayed delivery blamed the release date, though. Maybe I’ll just look for it tomorrow,

Noonan 03-19-20 12:34 PM

It's possible Nintendo shipped to arrive right in time for release. If that's the case, Amazon would have delayed receiving them in due to the policy they're going with now about only receiving in essentials first.

davidh777 03-19-20 12:36 PM

I can’t complain about not getting my video game if there are more important deliveries to be made, but it would’ve been nice to refund my expedited shipping. :) I just canceled and may buy digitally instead.

fujishig 03-19-20 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13707595)
I can’t complain about not getting my video game if there are more important deliveries to be made, but it would’ve been nice to refund my expedited shipping. :) I just canceled and may buy digitally instead.

Did they tell you you couldn't refund the shipping? Because if so I would cancel (though you do get 10 bucks off).

If you hurry, you can preorder the digital version at Best Buy and get $10 in rewards.

davidh777 03-19-20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13707605)
Did they tell you you couldn't refund the shipping? Because if so I would cancel (though you do get 10 bucks off).

If you hurry, you can preorder the digital version at Best Buy and get $10 in rewards.

I didn’t poke around to see if I could get a refund but just canceled. Nintendo store was crashing so I just got a code on Amazon and am downloading now.

Sonny Corinthos 03-19-20 10:26 PM

The Manager at GameStop called me at 7:30 pm and asked did I want to pick it up now? I said heck yeah, and I have been playing since 7:45 pm. Great game!

Dan 03-20-20 09:49 AM

How crucial is the online component to these games? I have zero interest in any kind of multiplayer in this (for my sake and for my daughter's) so just wondering if it can be avoided without affecting much.
One review I read said the multiplayer was a key part, but didn't really go into much detail as to why.

The Questyen 03-20-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13708285)
How crucial is the online component to these games? I have zero interest in any kind of multiplayer in this (for my sake and for my daughter's) so just wondering if it can be avoided without affecting much.
One review I read said the multiplayer was a key part, but didn't really go into much detail as to why.

Not crucial in the slightest.

Dan 03-20-20 10:27 AM

Perfect!

milo bloom 03-20-20 10:30 AM

My wife and son stayed up late last night to unlock their digital copies and stake their claims on naming their sites, then went back to bed. As soon as they got up this morning they were back on them.

Wife wants to get me a copy too so we can trade and stuff, not sure about dedicating the time needed to make it work.

The Questyen 03-20-20 04:13 PM

Played for a couple hours and already got enough Nook miles to pay off my original debt. It's cool how it knows how I own the Animal Crossing Switch and gave me a special AC switch in game along with the regular one that you get in your mailbox.

Also here's a link for you to get some exclusive items on New Horizons if you connect the Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp on phones. It only takes a couple minutes:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/202...g_new_horizons

asianxcore 03-20-20 07:51 PM

Picked up my copy while out stocking up on supplies amidst the shelter-in-place order in the town I just moved to.

Looking forward to jumping into the game soon.

nickdawgy 03-20-20 09:21 PM

Mine hasn’t arrived yet. UPS is supposed to deliver it by 8. I suspect I’ll get a notice that it’s pushed back to tomorrow. Normally I’d be pissed. But nowadays, those guys are so overworked, what’s an extra day?