DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The Legend Of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch; 5/12/23) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/649585-legend-zelda-tears-kingdom-switch%3B-5-12-23-a.html)

Sub-Zero 01-10-20 04:40 PM

The Legend Of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch; 5/12/23)

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Sequel

Nintendo Switch

Michael Corvin 01-10-20 06:58 PM

re: The Legend Of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch; 5/12/23)

Wow that last :30 seconds dragged on. The rest of it looked cool.

I don't have or want a switch but I dug Breath of the Wild for trying something different with the Zelda formula. I did end up spending about 60 hours playing it. They just need to get rid of the breakable weapons, they were ridiculously annoying.

Mike86 01-10-20 08:04 PM

I liked Breath of the Wild, but yeah the breakable weapons were annoying. I actually never finished it. I kinda liked the remake of Link’s Awakening better because it was more simplistic. I should go back to Breath of the Wild though.

RichC2 01-10-20 08:10 PM

Breath of the Wild and Links Awakening redux are my 2nd and 3rd favorite games this gen so I'm down with anything that comes out 😄

OldBoy 01-10-20 08:11 PM

i liked Twilight Princess and still want to finish that one...

slop101 01-14-20 10:19 AM

Also, while climbing up a hill/mountain, but then sliding down when it rains a little. There was absolutely zero reason for this to happen, as all you do is just wait out the rain and continue climbing, so in effect, it makes it a game of waiting out the rain, which is lame!

Also, I hope they don't reuse the map from the original game, but I'm assuming that they might.

Sub-Zero 06-15-21 02:15 PM

New trailer:

Noonan 06-16-21 07:31 AM

Probably should post this in the unpopular opinion thread but....although I loved Breath, I'm not a fan of it being a Zelda game. Zelda has always been a unique experience; Breath is just a (very good) open world clone. It lost most of the charm of Zelda games.

The Questyen 06-16-21 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13946091)
Probably should post this in the unpopular opinion thread but....although I loved Breath, I'm not a fan of it being a Zelda game. Zelda has always been a unique experience; Breath is just a (very good) open world clone. It lost most of the charm of Zelda games.

I'm in the same boat as you. I thought Breath of the Wild was a good game but nowhere near the top of my favorite Zelda games. Definitely not in my top 5. All the open world bloat that they added to Breath of the Wild is by far the worst aspects of the game.

Noonan 06-16-21 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13946149)
I'm in the same boat as you. I thought Breath of the Wild was a good game but nowhere near the top of my favorite Zelda games. Definitely not in my top 5. All the open world bloat that they added to Breath of the Wild is by far the worst aspects of the game.

Especially when you consider how much better open world games have gotten since Breath came out. If the sequel follows the same formula, it'll be starting behind other recent games like Ghosts of Tsushima.

RichC2 06-16-21 12:47 PM

BotW is one of the very few open world games I actually really enjoyed :shrug:. I'd rate it above all of the 3d Zeldas that aren't Ocarina.

Noonan 06-16-21 12:49 PM

I would have preferred if they took the engine they used for the Link's Awakening remake and made a full new game on it. But with the praise BotW received, it was never a thought that they wouldn't make a direct sequel.

The Questyen 06-16-21 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13946241)
I would have preferred if they took the engine they used for the Link's Awakening remake and made a full new game on it. But with the praise BotW received, it was never a thought that they wouldn't make a direct sequel.

It's also insanely popular with kids. All of my nephew's and niece's play it religiously. My 10 year old nephew has put 500+ hours into it and hasn't beaten the game or done really any of the story stuff. He just fucks around in the open world.

RichC2 06-16-21 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13946241)

I'd be all about that (Link's Awakening remains my favorite Zelda for a few reasons). Of course they need to smooth out the engine a little (no reason why it ran as choppy as it did)

Noonan 06-16-21 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13946249)
It's also insanely popular with kids. All of my nephew's and niece's play it religiously. My 10 year old nephew has put 500+ hours into it and hasn't beaten the game or done really any of the story stuff. He just fucks around in the open world.

That makes sense. It's the least violent/mature open world game of any decent quality I can think of.

slop101 06-16-21 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13946250)
I'd be all about that (Link's Awakening remains my favorite Zelda for a few reasons). Of course they need to smooth out the engine a little (no reason why it ran as choppy as it did)

Kept waiting for an update that would fix that, and it never came - probably because they didn't want a better downloadable version competing with the physical version.

Adam Tyner 03-29-22 09:15 AM

The Breath of the Wild sequel has been pushed back to Spring 2023:

steebo777 03-29-22 07:37 PM

Wow, that is a ton of time between the original release in March 2017 and Spring 2023. I’m surprised, even for Nintendo.

Goldberg74 03-30-22 07:59 AM

Fanboys are hoping for a remaster release of WW or TP to tide us over.

Noonan 03-30-22 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 14082128)
Fanboys are hoping for a remaster release of WW or TP to tide us over.

WW HD not being on Switch is criminal.

Decker 09-13-22 11:37 AM

We have a title and a release date!

alfredog1976 09-13-22 11:47 AM

Rival11 09-13-22 03:55 PM

Re: The Legend Of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch; 5/12/23)

Every year I tell myself I'm going to get back into Nintendo and then I never do. I've been watching a lot of the gaming historian on you tube (love the video on super mario world) and makes me realize how much I miss these games.

nickdawgy 09-13-22 04:54 PM

I’m definitely gonna start BOTW over and finish it this time.

GoVegan 09-14-22 09:35 AM

Lol, did anybody finish BOTW? I got really far - I think I stopped at what had to have been 95% finished. I liked it, though. I only stopped playing because my only Switch controller was the Pro and it got really bad drift, making every game unplayable. I do have a replacement generic one now, but I haven't really gotten back to the Switch for a while