Reload this Page >

GEARS TACTICS: PC/Xbox One -April 28, 2020

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-13-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last edited by gerrythedon; 04-27-20 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-17-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: GEARS TACTICS: PC/Xbox One -April 28, 2020

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 04-27-20, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this looks sweet, I want on XB1 now!!

8/10 IGN (81% Metacritic)

Old 04-27-20, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 346 Likes on 207 Posts

That sounds cool. I had no idea it was coming, let alone coming tonight. I assume it's free with Game Pass?
Old 04-27-20, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes on Game Pass
Old 05-03-20, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-03-20, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That sounds cool. I had no idea it was coming, let alone coming tonight. I assume it's free with Game Pass?
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Yes on Game Pass
Tried to install it on my XBX and discovered itís only a PC game at present time which is NUTS for a Gears game published by Microsoft. Will come to XBOX later. Need to update the thread title here.
Old 05-09-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tactics games have quickly become one of my favorite genres, and this is a really good one of those. It doesn't allow for save scumming like Xcom does, and it's fairly difficult, so I wonder how people who are drawn in by the Gears license but who are unfamiliar with tactics games are handling this.
Old 05-09-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Tactics games have quickly become one of my favorite genres, and this is a really good one of those. It doesn't allow for save scumming like Xcom does, and it's fairly difficult, so I wonder how people who are drawn in by the Gears license but who are unfamiliar with tactics games are handling this.
I have not played any tactics games but am interested in this because of the Gears connection. From reading about it I thought tactics just meant turn based combat game? Iím not sure what differences there are. Itís being compared to Xcom a lot so I thought I might try that out until gears is available on Xbox. What is save scumming?
Old 05-09-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's turn based in the sense that you go, then the enemy goes, then you go, etc. But it's a little different in that there's more strategy involved than in what I consider a traditional RPG turn based combat system. Positioning of units is a big part of that, and encounters are a little more dynamic based on how enemy units will move around between turns, and new ones may spawn anywhere around your team. It's slow and methodical, yet still pretty tense.

The combat can be a little frustrating, especially when it looks like you've got a clear line of sight to an enemy and the game is telling you there's an 80% chance you'll hit with your attack, but because the ultimate outcome is determined by a behind the scenes dice roll, there's still a chance you'll miss that shot. It can be heartbreaking, and these types of games are notorious for situations like that. And that's where save scumming comes in, which is where you quick save before a particularly risky move, then if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to, you load that save and try another strategy. In Xcom, I use this system liberally, but with Gears you don't have the option, so you're relying on their checkpoints, which sometimes are few and far between. Because of this I'd easily recommend Xcom as a good jumping in point before Gears.

If you're even a little curious, I'd wholeheartedly recommend giving Xcom a try.
Old 05-09-20, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Or Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle on the Switch. That's pretty similar but easier.
Old 05-09-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Or Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle on the Switch. That's pretty similar but easier.
Oh yeah, thatís a great one too.
Old 05-09-20, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

(Obligatory random SRPG/tactical RPG recommendation: Fell Seal! Fell Seal! Not on gamepass but not too expensive, on Xbox and Steam, sometimes there's a Steam deal or sale. It feels a whole lot like Final Fantasy Tactics in gameplay and tone).

Have they announced a date for Gears Tactics to release on Xbox? I have GPUltimate so I guess I get Xbox games on my PC as well but my machine is too old to run many modern games (I'm currently playing Dungeon Siege 1, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, none of which are really technologically demanding.)
Old 05-09-20, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It runs really clunky on my PC, but itís still playable.
Old 05-09-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the breakdowns and recommendations. Iím intrigued by the concept. Just wasnít sure. I like RTS games like C&C but donít care for the turn based versions.

I think I read that Gears is still planned for Xbox later this year so I have some time to try others of the like. Regardless, itíll be on game pass so I wonít be out anything just to try it.