DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox Series X - 11/10/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/649337-xbox-series-x-11-10-20-a.html)

Dan 11-10-20 12:33 PM

Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Yep. In addition to that, people elsewhere are saying that their Walmart pickup orders are now being cancelled.
Some folks were able to walk into Walmart - with no pre-order at all - and grab one this morning after asking for one. Others were denied, telling them it was stock exclusively for online orders.
I'm guessing this was the stock meant for today's drop, which explains why the pickup orders are being cancelled.

This is all In addition to a bunch of people getting free ones (They ordered on Walmart, then cancelled, but the consoles still shipped without any charge on their credit cards).

Super awesome!

Deftones 11-10-20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13840674)
I can't sign into Live right now... anyone else having this problem?

Yup big issue. Their Twitter support tweeted out about the issues.

Edison 11-10-20 12:36 PM

At this point I think my last option is to try GameStop Black Friday at 7am, although in their ad it says minimum 2 per store.

tonyc3742 11-10-20 01:29 PM

My son's walking me through setting his up over Alexa video chat.
He's very excited.
It's big but not as big as I thought. And dammit I went to walmart.com and had one in my cart but it sold out before it took my CC info. Apparently their in-stock inventories are crap.

Apollo 11-10-20 01:56 PM

I tried Wal-Mart.com also for local pickup and had the console swap from my cart while was applying my CC. I was finally able to get one thru the All Access program.

This kinda works out for me since I can pay half now and finish the payments by January.

spainlinx0 11-10-20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13840690)
Yep. In addition to that, people elsewhere are saying that their Walmart pickup orders are now being cancelled.
Some folks were able to walk into Walmart - with no pre-order at all - and grab one this morning after asking for one. Others were denied, telling them it was stock exclusively for online orders.
I'm guessing this was the stock meant for today's drop, which explains why the pickup orders are being cancelled.

This is all In addition to a bunch of people getting free ones (They ordered on Walmart, then cancelled, but the consoles still shipped without any charge on their credit cards).

Super awesome!

Seems like a good strategy to try and get a PS5 without pre-ordering.

maxfisher 11-10-20 02:53 PM

Got mine. It’s taking forever to set up. I won’t be able to play until tonight, but thought I’d at least set it up and pop in Valhalla to install/update. That was about 45 minutes ago and I’ve had to go through the ‘set up a new console’ option in the app three times.

Rainet 11-10-20 03:27 PM

Playing and testing out 4K Avengers Endgame. The movie is showing way too much dark. Anyone having issues with darkness? Games are fine. And my other bluray player is fine. So i know its not the tv.

Rob V 11-10-20 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 13840784)
Got mine. It’s taking forever to set up. I won’t be able to play until tonight, but thought I’d at least set it up and pop in Valhalla to install/update. That was about 45 minutes ago and I’ve had to go through the ‘set up a new console’ option in the app three times.

Crazy that it took so long. Mine was 10 minutes max...

Adam Tyner 11-10-20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13840833)
Crazy that it took so long. Mine was 10 minutes max...

It was a little flaky for me. It wouldn't connect to the Xbox's wifi the first attempt.

Dan 11-10-20 05:39 PM

Hopefully this isn't widespread...

nickdawgy 11-10-20 07:49 PM

Mine installed and setup fine. Just downloading the Watch Dogs upgrade. I have a question though. Since I’m already down to maybe 300gb of space left, should I buy the Xbox expansion hard drive or can I use a 4tb WD or something? Is there an advantage to using the official one?

Deftones 11-10-20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13840981)
Mine installed and setup fine. Just downloading the Watch Dogs upgrade. I have a question though. Since I’m already down to maybe 300gb of space left, should I buy the Xbox expansion hard drive or can I use a 4tb WD or something? Is there an advantage to using the official one?

You can only use the official SSD one for Series X games, IIRC. Only One X, One and 360 games can go on an external HD.

Dan 11-10-20 07:55 PM

Yep. You can store Series X games on a regular external HD, but you have to transfer them to the internal SSD or official expansion SSD to play them.

Deftones 11-10-20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13840986)
Yep. You can store Series X games on a regular external HD, but you have to transfer them to the internal SSD or official expansion SSD to play them.

Yes. What I meant. Thanks for being better with words.

maxfisher 11-10-20 10:31 PM

Got mine set up earlier after finding a tweet advising to turn the network settings to offline and then attempt to sign in (& go back online when prompted). I had been trying to set it up with the app on my phone and I read several accounts of that approach giving people hiccups.

I’d been playing through Supraland, so I just downloaded that and played it a bit while waiting on the 46 GB Valhalla upgrade download. So I haven’t exactly taxed the system’s capabilities yet.

I did end up picking up Watch Dogs Legion as well. I was bugging my folks for Xmas present ideas and there were two dvd sets they wanted for $50 each, so it was only an extra $10 to add a game with Target’s B2g1f sale.

nickdawgy 11-10-20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13840983)
You can only use the official SSD one for Series X games, IIRC. Only One X, One and 360 games can go on an external HD.

Ok so for games like AC Odyssey, I can store it on an external and play it fine? Would it load or run faster if I bought the official drive?

Rob V 11-11-20 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13841077)
Ok so for games like AC Odyssey, I can store it on an external and play it fine? Would it load or run faster if I bought the official drive?

I'm under the impression it'll load faster if you install it on the internal X1X hard drive -- since it's SSD. I d/l all the games I play regularly to my X1X and kept the balance on the external drive. I'll probably pick up an official expansion X1X SSD drive soon as 750GB isn't going to cut it.

Dan 11-11-20 08:34 AM

xboxes are blowing up!
(not really)

fujishig 11-11-20 12:02 PM

Apologies if I missed this, but can you just unplug an external hard drive that you were using on your Xbox One and plug it into a Series X (and not have to redownload games)?

Edison 11-11-20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13841294)
Apologies if I missed this, but can you just unplug an external hard drive that you were using on your Xbox One and plug it into a Series X (and not have to redownload games)?

I believe someone said that earlier.

Schloob1 11-11-20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13841294)

Yes, just know for the quick resume feature and other benefits of the Series X that it will need to be on the internal drive since I imagine your external is not an SSD drive

fujishig 11-11-20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Schloob1 (Post 13841431)
Yes, just know for the quick resume feature and other benefits of the Series X that it will need to be on the internal drive since I imagine your external is not an SSD drive

That's fine, I just wasn't sure because I read that the Series X can't read thumbnails and a lot of the articles mention formatting a drive to transfer games over (obviously talking about a drive that hadn't been used before, if you want to transfer games from a One to Series X). Cool, I'm all set for whenever UPS actually decides they want to deliver this thing.

Schloob1 11-11-20 04:14 PM

UGH, so apparently my Series X decided to take a break and have a party down in my old college town of Champaign(class of 96') before coming to my house in the Chicagoland area. It was scheduled to deliver by end of day today(ut had arrived there at 4:15AM this morning so seemed logical since it's only 2.5 hours from me. But now I just got an updated delivery of tomorrow now. It does not arrive tomorrow I'll be irked since I have Friday off.

Schloob1 11-11-20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13841432)
That's fine, I just wasn't sure because I read that the Series X can't read thumbnails and a lot of the articles mention formatting a drive to transfer games over (obviously talking about a drive that hadn't been used before, if you want to transfer games from a One to Series X). Cool, I'm all set for whenever UPS actually decides they want to deliver this thing.

Welcome to that waiting party. But yeah I've been getting my current external set with the games I want to be sure to have ready for just transferring instead of actually downloading. Since I assume EVERYTHING that is under your name should appear in your account ready for download I imagine. Can anyone that already has it confirm if that is the case.