The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2019

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2019

Old 12-17-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2019

9. Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch)

Crafted World is another extremely well crafted Nintendo platformer. It is easy enough for anyone to play through the levels but in typical Nintendo fashion the difficulty kicks in when trying to go for the collectibles (although they went overboard with this one the scavenger hunts were too much) and playing the hidden levels. The art style is obviously fantastic and they do a great job making every obstacle and enemy fit in with the crafted vibe while also making everything work in reverse when you play through levels from the opposite side. Yoshi's Crafted World is a step or two down from the greatness of the previous game Yoshi's Wooly World but is still a must play for any Nintendo platforming fans.
Old 12-18-19, 10:00 PM

8. Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

This is how you do a remake. Resident Evil 2 plays and looks amazing. I really hope we eventually get all the original RE titles (1, 0, Code Veronica) remade in this style. I hadn't played Resident Evil 2 probably since it came out on Nintendo 64 so I remembered very little so it was pretty much a fresh experience. It gives you everything you expect in a Resident Evil game and the story differences give you a reason to play through as both characters. My only negative is I don't care for the Mr. X stuff (which has me worried for 3 since you're being chased the whole time) I like exploring and taking my time in RE games. But otherwise a must play for Resident Evil fans.
Old 12-19-19, 12:14 AM

7. Concrete Genie (PS4)

Concrete Genie is a game that every PS4 owner should experience. It's a budget title that is as polished and graphically impressive as most AAA games. I'm not an artistic person but I had a lot of fun creating stuff in this game. At its core it is an action adventure game but the puzzles are solved by creating genies on the walls of buildings and using them along with the other art you unlock to progress through the game. For most stuff you can really do just the most basic drawing to get past a puzzle but it's really fun to just completely decorate all the walls and it looks fantastic. The story is well done and keeps you invested in the main characters journey. My only nitpick is Concrete Genie is a 5-6 hour game and they decided to add in combat in the last hour or so of the game and it really didn't need it. I'd have much preferred they kept it without that mechanic but it didn't effect my enjoyment that much.
Old 12-19-19, 05:59 PM

6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)

Link's Awakening is a remake of an original Gameboy game and they really went all out on a whole new graphical style for the Switch version. It looks amazing (frame rate issues not withstanding) and controls like a dream. The ability to use more buttons for your other items instead of having to constantly go into the menu like the original is a great quality of life upgrade. I remembered reading about this game having some Mario references but I wasn't expecting the number of them including various Mario series enemies that you fight throughout. Going through a Legend of Zelda game once you've got all the items and finding all the collectibles and heart containers is one of my favorite things to do in gaming and Link's Awakening didn't disappoint.
Old 12-19-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts

That last dungeon though...
Old 12-19-19, 09:42 PM

5. Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)

I have zero interest in creating levels in games so when they announced there was going to be a story mode in Super Mario Maker 2 I was excited. The story mode ended up being a blast and put all their new maker tools to good use and it definitely had a different feel from your typical Mario game. I've also played some pretty creative levels and I'm regularly surprised with the stuff people can come up with. I mainly play the speedrun courses and the different descriptors they use really help find exactly what you're looking for. It's a really polished package and a must own for any Mario fan.
Old 12-19-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought the original Mario Maker and realized after about, oh thirty minutes that I had zero interest in making Mario levels. Good to hear they added a decent story mode.
Old 12-20-19, 06:21 PM

4. Control (PS4)

I was a big fan of the two Alan Wake games and found Quantum Break Remedy's last game to be majorly disappointing so I was glad that they rebounded and released another great game. Control for me lives on it's style and atmosphere. They did a great job creating this world and the building you spend all your time in and making you want to know everything about it and the characters. They space out giving you the powers you use and you can really focus your upgrades on whatever powers you like best and whatever playstyle is the most fun for you. The "Launch" power is one of the most fun powers I can remember in a game and I never got tried of using it. The early reviews mentioned that the game was difficult and that had me worried and in the first few hours before you unlock and get used to your powers you can die really easy but eventually it levels out. My only real gripe is some of the side quest bosses are not fun to fight and even knowing exactly what you're supposed to do is aggravating because you're fighting with running around, using your powers, and also looking down at the floor. I ended up skipping a few of them which sucked because I really wanted to experience everything.
Old 12-21-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I bought the original Mario Maker and realized after about, oh thirty minutes that I had zero interest in making Mario levels. Good to hear they added a decent story mode.
The best part of Mario Maker for 99% of people has always been getting levels that other people make, I think. Some people are really talented at making levels.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 12-21-19 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-21-19, 04:49 PM

3. The Outer Worlds (PS4)

I'm a huge fan of the modern Fallout games so I was super excited for The Outer Worlds to come out. Instead of a giant overworld like those Fallout titles this game reigns its size in and it is better for it. The majority of your exploring takes places in the towns that you come across on your journey through a solar system. You add on members of your crew while you go and they all are well written and have fun companion quests for you to help them with. Parvati was my standout companion that I took with me everywhere and I felt deeply connected to her throughout and was very careful to make decisions that she wouldn't get angry with me over. The game length is perfect my final playtime was around 35-40 hours exploring everything and doing all the sidequests and I never got bored or was wanting it to wrap up like longer open world games. I would usually end up spending 80-100 in the Fallout games. So ultimately what kept this from being higher on my list is that this is a really polished story driven open world game (one of my favorites) but it doesn't do anything drastically different from what you've been doing in these games since Fallout 3 or the original Mass Effect. Still a fantastic game and well worth playing.
Old 12-21-19, 08:17 PM

2. A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS4)

A Plague Tale: Innocence came out pretty early in the year and has seemed to be passed over on most GOTY lists which is quite disappointing. At it's core the game is an adventure stealth title but as someone who doesn't normally care for stealth games this one is a masterpiece of the genre. The plot, characters, and voice acting is top notch and the queasiness feeling I got in this game matches any horror film I've seen in the last few years. I'm intentionally not mentioning too many specifics about this game because it really should be experienced but I'll say there are scenes in this games that will stick with me for a long time.
Old 12-21-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 12-22-19, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I picked Plague Tale during a sale. I think that'll be my next game after I finish Jedi Fallen Order.
Old 12-22-19, 03:38 PM

1. Wilmot's Warehouse (Switch)

Surprise. I doubt anyone was guessing this game was going to end up on my game of the year let alone be my number one let alone me. I had heard good pre-release buzz for Wilmot's Warehouse before it came out but it didn't really seem like my type of game until I saw a "Quick Look" on the Giant Bomb website by Abby Russell. Watching her play the first bits of the game along with her enthusiasm for it had me interested and I had to pick it up. You play as a warehouse employee (a square) and each morning a truck arrives and you have a few minutes to organize everything that comes off the truck however you want. As soon as those few minutes are up some customers arrive and you have a few minutes again to pull their orders. The faster you pull their orders the more stars you get which you can use to buy upgrades. Early on this is pretty easy but every day different types of items arrive also so your previous organizing has to keep changing as you go. By the end you will have 500 different items and remembering where you have them all stored is where it gets tense. Thankfully after every few rounds of this you have a "free day" where there is no timer and you can rearrange your warehouse as you see fit. On almost every one of these free days I was completely rearranging my warehouse due to the mountain of product that was coming in.

You are probably thinking no thanks on a game where you work in a warehouse but Wilmot's Warehouse is a ton of fun and everytime I wasn't playing it I was thinking about it. It is a puzzle game where it is less about solving the puzzles the game sets in front of you and more in the way you use your brain to organize things. It also has a beginning and an end with my total playtime being around 8 hours and it has some good humor in the little bits of story you find along the way.
Old 12-22-19, 05:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

such a great list. most games don't have, ever heard of, but love the write ups and makes me wish i had certain systems to play these games. and when i do know one and it pops up it is so cool. have 2 of top 5. love these lists as well...

Last edited by OldBoy; 01-21-20 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

1. UPS: The Game

You are correct, I did NOT see that coming.

Joking aside, thanks again for sharing!
Old 12-23-19, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

After starting it this weekend and not being able to put it down Disco Elysium is 100% my GotY.
Old 12-24-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for putting together the list again. You typically bring something to my attention that I end up liking that I wouldn't have heard of otherwise.

I very rarely buy games close to release date, but I'm certain I'll get to some of them in 2020. Already have Plague's Tale and Life is Strange 2 from a Black Friday sale. And I'll certainly get Outer Worlds and Jedi Fallen Order when they drop enough in price. Deracine and Moss are a couple I'll pick up at some point for VR.

The poor reviews for Man of Medan are disappointing since I greatly enjoyed Until Dawn too.
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (12-25-19)
Old 12-24-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
1. UPS: The Game

You are correct, I did NOT see that coming.

Joking aside, thanks again for sharing!
Seems more like amazon the game, complete with no bathroom breaks.

But I also didn't see it coming, in fact I've never even heard of the game before. Great thread as always, Questyen, I'll have to take a closer look at each after I get through my Xmas pile of new stuff.
The Questyen (12-25-19)
Old 12-24-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 162 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Seems more like amazon the game, complete with no bathroom breaks.
Yeah, UPS The Game did come out in 2019 and that wasn't it.
Old 12-26-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember the first year you did this, I thought ‘where in the hell does this person get off thinking their opinion is important enough that we should have a whole thread about what games they liked.’ Your descriptions and obvious immersion in and love for the medium quickly demonstrated why your list was worth paying attention to. I had been meaning to pick up Link’s Awakening and Plague Tale for a while now and their inclusion convinced me to go ahead and order them this week. Thanks for again taking the time to share your thoughts this year.
The following 2 users liked this post by maxfisher:
Music (12-28-19), The Questyen (12-26-19)
Old 12-26-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I read your list every year but I don't comment on it because most of the games that you mention, I have never played or heard. The sheer amount of games that you play and the in-depth analysis and insight that you provide is what makes your thread a must read every year. Excellent job as always. It's nice to see you as a PSN friend and to know, that you actually play the games that you write about.
The Questyen (12-26-19)
Old 12-26-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 162 Likes on 108 Posts

Q : Did you play Death Stranding or have you not yet? Didn't see it in your list or your "disappointments". Would be curious to read your take on it.
Old 12-26-19, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I read your list every year but I don't comment on it because most of the games that you mention, I have never played or heard. The sheer amount of games that you play and the in-depth analysis and insight that you provide is what makes your thread a must read every year. Excellent job as always. It's nice to see you as a PSN friend and to know, that you actually play the games that you write about.
That would be hilarious if I was doing this thread every year and I had never played any of these games.
Old 12-26-19, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Q : Did you play Death Stranding or have you not yet? Didn't see it in your list or your "disappointments". Would be curious to read your take on it.
I'm not a Metal Gear or Kojima fan and every review and discussion of Death Stranding I've read makes it sounds like a game I would hate so I'll never play it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.