DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/649072-immortals-fenyx-rising-ubisoft-all-platforms-12-3-20-a.html)

OldBoy 11-08-19 07:58 PM

Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20)

From the creators of Assassin's Creed Odyssey...
Gods & Monsters..."Gods & Monsters Is A New Ubisoft Game That's Like Zelda With Greek Mythology"

anyone looking out on this? from those creators i would buy in heartbeat. love AC: O...

slop101 11-11-19 04:26 PM

re: Gods & Monsters (creators of AC: O) --> Delayed until ??? --> (XB1, PS4, Switch)

Looks kinda cheap and a bit too cartoony.

OldBoy 11-11-19 11:08 PM

re: Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20)

Kinda Zeldaish, at least the last one I played on GameCube way back when, I believe. Twilight Princess maybe. I was loving that game until I just stopped playing. Would love to fire that up again. Along with Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask double game I got. Never got a chance to play. It’s funny. I still have the games, but don’t think I have GameCube anymore. And I loved that Wavebird controller, and still think I have that as well. Maybe I do have it somewhere, but I don’t think I’ll even be able to hook up, right? Do they make an HDMI converter or anything? Oh well.

Adam Tyner 11-11-19 11:30 PM

re: Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20)

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13638326)
Do they make an HDMI converter or anything? Oh well.

Yeah. There are cheap ones that run around $25, although theyíre basically s-video->HDMI and capped at stereo, so you arenít getting the full benefits. There are also higher end ones like the GCHD MK-II Adapter, though the price tag is pretty stratospheric. And if youíre willing to solder, that opens up entire worlds...!

Adam Tyner 10-22-20 12:52 PM

Re: Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20)

If you're invested in Stadia, there's a demo available.

The Questyen 11-18-20 07:06 PM

The release of this is weird. I was thinking of preordering and they have both regular versions and gold versions. The gold version contains the season pass and bonus DLC items. They have a physical PS5 regular version of the game but to get the gold version you have to buy the PS4 physical gold version and then do the free upgrade to PS5. All the other systems have a purchasable gold version except for PS5.

OldBoy 11-18-20 07:20 PM

I actually have this in my wishlist. Not really sure why, but something got my attention...

OldBoy 11-18-20 07:23 PM

Now I know why. It looks like amazing puzzle-laiden 3D platformer...

Michael Corvin 11-18-20 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13638326)
Kinda Zeldaish, at least the last one I played on GameCube way back when, I believe. Twilight Princess maybe. I was loving that game until I just stopped playing. Would love to fire that up again. Along with Ocarina of Time and Majoraís Mask double game I got. Never got a chance to play. Itís funny. I still have the games, but donít think I have GameCube anymore. And I loved that Wavebird controller, and still think I have that as well. Maybe I do have it somewhere, but I donít think Iíll even be able to hook up, right? Do they make an HDMI converter or anything? Oh well.

I have this one and it's amazing... but as Tyner said, pricing isn't for the squeamish.

Michael Corvin 11-18-20 10:27 PM

Kotaku AU seemed to enjoy what they played earlier in the year.

Here's some PS5 4k footage and a quality vs performance modes:

OldBoy 11-19-20 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13845273)
I have this one and it's amazing... but as Tyner said, pricing isn't for the squeamish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2P...ature=emb_logo

i actually managed to plug in using component cables. i know better with hdmi, but it's what i had and i'm ok with it...

Michael Corvin 11-19-20 12:56 PM

you have GCN component cables? That's a super rare item these days. Goes for $300+.

OldBoy 11-19-20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13845572)
you have GCN component cables? That's a super rare item these days. Goes for $300+.

now that i'm thinking about. i only had the composite cable, but it worked with my tv which only had component hook up. that's what it is...

fujishig 11-19-20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13845572)

Wow really? I have the component cables somewhere...

Michael Corvin 11-19-20 04:03 PM

:lol: Total sidetrack, but yeah. I dumped mine for $300 to fund the Wii launch purchase way back when. 15 years later, they're even harder to come by.

nickdawgy 11-19-20 11:37 PM

I remember the days of component cables :lol:

lwhy? 11-28-20 09:18 AM

Here's the first hour if anyone wants to check it out before buying:

Michael Corvin 11-28-20 05:03 PM

PS5 version dropped $10 at Amazon since I started watching it. Looks like prices vary.

PS5 Standard Version:
Amazon: $50
Walmart.com: $50
Target.com: $60
BestBuy.com: $60
Gamestop: $60

So this is an UbiSoft game and they never fail to drop in price fairly quickly, so I wonder if a brand new next gen game will drop just as fast.

OldBoy 11-28-20 07:40 PM

That looked really good. I’m preordering the gold.

Decker 11-28-20 07:56 PM

I got a $50 Amazon GC from a patient so I decided to use it on this game (assuming the reviews are okay -- we all thought Godfall and Marvel's Avengers were gonna be pretty good until we started seeing reviews). Hope it actually plays on my PS5 without crashing like Valhalla and unlike Watch Dogs Legions.
This comes out Friday.

OldBoy 11-28-20 08:09 PM

I think this looks like great old school platforming, open world, rpg-lite wonderfully beautiful game. Reviews be damned the previewers sure liked what they played.

Decker 11-28-20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13850127)
I think this looks like great old school platforming, open world, rpg-lite wonderfully beautiful game. Reviews be damned the previewers sure liked what they played.

Old school platforming? :hscratch:

OldBoy 11-28-20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13850141)
Old school platforming? :hscratch:

they don’t make many of these old school platformer types on multi-consoles, in the vein of Zelda, too much anymore. One previewer compared to Breath of the Wild which on WiiU which got the best reviews at 96. One of the highest rated games ever. Many relegated to Nintendo whatever and I guess PS4 has some. But not many for Xbox. This is like the Raymans and Ratchet and Clanks and certainly the newer Super Mario games how fun and became increasingly more complex and beautiful to view.

But can’t remember last platformer specifically for XBOX One and this looks like it takes the old school platform elements and naturally transforms them to today’s 3D, open world, art work like style grandiose video games.

dsa_shea 11-28-20 09:14 PM

I don't know if this is any more of a platformer than Ghost of Tsushima or any of the recent AC games. Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.

OldBoy 11-28-20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13850152)
I don't know if this is any more of a platformer than Ghost of Tsushima or any of the recent AC games. Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.

I donít know your game, probably PS only, but itís following a path that you create by solving puzzles to make that path. Isnít that the definition of?

Decker 11-28-20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13850180)
I donít know your game, probably PS only, but itís following a path that you create by solving puzzles to make that path. Isnít that the definition of?

No it isnít.

Platform games (often simplified as platformer, or jump 'n' run) is a video game genre and subgenre of action games. Platformers are characterized by their heavy use of jumping and climbing to navigate the player's environment and reach their goal. Levels and environments tend to feature uneven terrain and suspended platforms of varying height that requires use of the player character's abilities in order to traverse. Other acrobatic maneuvers often factor into the gameplay as well, such as climbing, swinging from objects such as vines or grappling hooks, jumping off of walls, air dashing, gliding through the air, being shot from cannons or bouncing from springboards or trampolines. These mechanics, even in the context of other genres, are commonly called platforming. The most common unifying element of games of this genre is the ability to jump. Games where jumping is automated completely, such as 3D games in The Legend of Zelda series, fall outside of the genre.

mhg83 11-29-20 03:27 PM

Planning to rent this one on Thursday. I'll have the weekend off so I can get a good impression before deciding to buy.

The Questyen 11-30-20 12:15 PM

Review embargo is up so tons of reviews dropped today. Consensus seems to be a good game but not amazing. Most of the negatives I've seen are positives in my book. 20-30 hours to get through main story and you get overpowered as the game progresses.

Michael Corvin 11-30-20 12:31 PM

Yeah, those sound like positives to me.

I'm about 45 hours into Ghost of Tsushima and I'm kinda tired of it. I want to see it through, but man, too long.

Decker 11-30-20 12:38 PM

Ghost of Tsushima was amazing! Loved every moment of that game. AC Valhalla feels like a real let down after that.

Immortals currently sits at 72 on Metacritic which isn't amazing, but still sounds like a fun game in my book. Looking forward to checking it out (and hoping that it can play on my PS5 without crashing).

Noonan 11-30-20 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13850816)
Yeah, those sound like positives to me.

I'm about 45 hours into Ghost of Tsushima and I'm kinda tired of it. I want to see it through, but man, too long.

If you feel that way with GoT, I would not recommend any recent AC game, however great they are. Maybe Origins.

The Questyen 11-30-20 03:54 PM

The Kotaku review is incredibly positive and I've seen some reviewers say it will be in their game of the year discussions. I can't wait to play it.

mhg83 12-04-20 09:30 AM

It's okay so far. Nothing has really blown me away unlike Breath Of The Wild which had me hooked from the start.

I like the humor though. The fourth wall breaking moment was great
Spoiler:
When you fall into the pitt abd the fake end credits roll :lol:

mhg83 12-06-20 10:52 AM

Biggest gripe I have with the game is the stanima bar. It ties into everything you do. Climbing and swimming i understand. But moving things around and using your arrows should not and it just slows everything down.

mhg83 12-06-20 11:00 AM

Everything else though is clicking with me. The combat is super fun especially the bow and arrows. Great graphics, Big open world thats fun to explore, Weapons dont break, climbing is fun, the side stuff is pretty good and tons of upgrading to do. If it wasn't for Cyberpunk coming out I'd pay full price for it.

Decker 12-06-20 11:04 AM

My version is sadly crashing my PS5, but of what I was able to play in the first couple of hours I do like it. Agree the fighting is fun and the world looks great. I wonder if the actress who voices Fenyx is the same as the one who voiced Cassandra in AC Odyssey. She sounds like the same person.

Edit : Nope it's not her But that actress does play Athena in this game.

mhg83 12-07-20 08:14 PM

I just rage quit this game. I get to a dungeon puzzle room , complete the puzzle and reach the end. Theres two chests. I grab the first chest and for some reason tbe game kicks me out . So I go back cause the other chest is a quest item. The whole puzzle is fucking reset! Who thought that was a great idea???

It's unfortunate cause I was really enjoying the game up until that point.

Dan 12-08-20 10:10 AM

Started this last night. The default controls are an.. interesting.. choice... but I'm getting used to it. I like this game so far.

Decker 12-09-20 12:27 PM

Free Twitch Prime loot :

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...2bf4fd7766.png

dsa_shea 12-09-20 04:48 PM

I got it and another free million in GTA Online! Thanks a bunch!