Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-20, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts
Re: Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20)

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I don’t know your game, probably PS only, but it’s following a path that you create by solving puzzles to make that path. Isn’t that the definition of?
No it isn’t.

Platform games (often simplified as platformer, or jump 'n' run) is a video game genre and subgenre of action games. Platformers are characterized by their heavy use of jumping and climbing to navigate the player's environment and reach their goal. Levels and environments tend to feature uneven terrain and suspended platforms of varying height that requires use of the player character's abilities in order to traverse. Other acrobatic maneuvers often factor into the gameplay as well, such as climbing, swinging from objects such as vines or grappling hooks, jumping off of walls, air dashing, gliding through the air, being shot from cannons or bouncing from springboards or trampolines. These mechanics, even in the context of other genres, are commonly called platforming. The most common unifying element of games of this genre is the ability to jump. Games where jumping is automated completely, such as 3D games in The Legend of Zelda series, fall outside of the genre.
Old 11-29-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Planning to rent this one on Thursday. I'll have the weekend off so I can get a good impression before deciding to buy.
Old 11-30-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 405 Posts

Review embargo is up so tons of reviews dropped today. Consensus seems to be a good game but not amazing. Most of the negatives I've seen are positives in my book. 20-30 hours to get through main story and you get overpowered as the game progresses.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (11-30-20)
Old 11-30-20, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, those sound like positives to me.

I'm about 45 hours into Ghost of Tsushima and I'm kinda tired of it. I want to see it through, but man, too long.
Adam Tyner (11-30-20)
Old 11-30-20, 11:38 AM

Ghost of Tsushima was amazing! Loved every moment of that game. AC Valhalla feels like a real let down after that.

Immortals currently sits at 72 on Metacritic which isn't amazing, but still sounds like a fun game in my book. Looking forward to checking it out (and hoping that it can play on my PS5 without crashing).
K&AJones (12-17-20)
Old 11-30-20, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, those sound like positives to me.

I'm about 45 hours into Ghost of Tsushima and I'm kinda tired of it. I want to see it through, but man, too long.
If you feel that way with GoT, I would not recommend any recent AC game, however great they are. Maybe Origins.
Old 11-30-20, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Kotaku review is incredibly positive and I've seen some reviewers say it will be in their game of the year discussions. I can't wait to play it.
Old 12-04-20, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's okay so far. Nothing has really blown me away unlike Breath Of The Wild which had me hooked from the start.

I like the humor though. The fourth wall breaking moment was great
Spoiler:
When you fall into the pitt abd the fake end credits roll
Old 12-06-20, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Biggest gripe I have with the game is the stanima bar. It ties into everything you do. Climbing and swimming i understand. But moving things around and using your arrows should not and it just slows everything down.
Old 12-06-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything else though is clicking with me. The combat is super fun especially the bow and arrows. Great graphics, Big open world thats fun to explore, Weapons dont break, climbing is fun, the side stuff is pretty good and tons of upgrading to do. If it wasn't for Cyberpunk coming out I'd pay full price for it.
Old 12-06-20, 10:04 AM

My version is sadly crashing my PS5, but of what I was able to play in the first couple of hours I do like it. Agree the fighting is fun and the world looks great. I wonder if the actress who voices Fenyx is the same as the one who voiced Cassandra in AC Odyssey. She sounds like the same person.

Edit : Nope it's not her But that actress does play Athena in this game.
Old 12-07-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just rage quit this game. I get to a dungeon puzzle room , complete the puzzle and reach the end. Theres two chests. I grab the first chest and for some reason tbe game kicks me out . So I go back cause the other chest is a quest item. The whole puzzle is fucking reset! Who thought that was a great idea???

It's unfortunate cause I was really enjoying the game up until that point.
Old 12-08-20, 09:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Started this last night. The default controls are an.. interesting.. choice... but I'm getting used to it. I like this game so far.
Old 12-09-20, 11:27 AM

Free Twitch Prime loot :

majorjoe23 (12-07-21)
Old 12-09-20, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I got it and another free million in GTA Online! Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-13-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This game has hooked me hard. In about 4 days I've already put in like 22 hours. Fun gameplay and looks amazing. I love all the little puzzles that you have to solve out in the environment and the vaults are the right amount of challenge and fun. My only negative is related to the map system. You go to the top of statues to unlock sections of the map which is fine but then you have to manually scan the environment to tag everything which when most areas have like 50 things in them means you are scanning for like 10 minutes. Much preferred if it just auto showed you all that stuff when you unlocked areas. Not anything too egregious but a slight annoyance.
Michael Corvin (12-13-20)
Old 12-27-20, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

On sale for $29.99 now at Amazon, Gamestop, and Target.
Old 12-28-20, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

I've put maybe 15 hours into this so far. I'm just finishing up Ares.

Fun mix of AC and BotW, although it's not as good as either on their own. The comedic commentary by Zeus is entertaining. Nice to play something more light hearted after Valhalla and Cyberpunk.

Last edited by Noonan; 12-28-20 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-09-21, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got the platinum trophy today and did every vault and got all the chests. One of the funnest open world games I've ever played. Can't wait for the first batch of DLC later this month.
Decker (01-09-21)
Old 01-11-21, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I’m having a blast with this and really taking my time to clear out each section before moving on to the next. For me, its puzzles absolutely nail the sweet spot of making you feel smart (or at least clever) for solving them without being so hard or obtuse that they get frustrating. It’s also the first game in ages where I haven’t just picked a favorite weapon/armor/etc set, but change things up based on the situation.

Combat’s enjoyable and seems pretty flexible as well. I’ve focused almost exclusively on bows so far, barely upgrading axes and not touching swords. Darting around, stunning people with headshots and then chucking boulders at them while they’re down is a lot of fun.

One tip that I stumbled on by accident and wish I’d known earlier: you can scan your surroundings and tag things from anywhere. I thought you had to do it all from the main statues and that was taking forever. I find it far preferable to just periodically scan the general area I’m in for stuff that’s nearby.
Old 01-11-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I’m having a blast with this and really taking my time to clear out each section before moving on to the next. For me, its puzzles absolutely nail the sweet spot of making you feel smart (or at least clever) for solving them without being so hard or obtuse that they get frustrating. It’s also the first game in ages where I haven’t just picked a favorite weapon/armor/etc set, but change things up based on the situation.

Combat’s enjoyable and seems pretty flexible as well. I’ve focused almost exclusively on bows so far, barely upgrading axes and not touching swords. Darting around, stunning people with headshots and then chucking boulders at them while they’re down is a lot of fun.

One tip that I stumbled on by accident and wish I’d known earlier: you can scan your surroundings and tag things from anywhere. I thought you had to do it all from the main statues and that was taking forever. I find it far preferable to just periodically scan the general area I’m in for stuff that’s nearby.
Just a heads up too you get way more than enough stuff to level up everything. I had already maxed out everything before I was even like 2/3 of the way through the game.

Also a heads up for anyone who plans on going after the platinum trophy there is only one trophy that you can block yourself out of if you have already completed all the vaults. It's the trophy for having 10 enemies die in traps inside a vault. Thankfully I still had 3 vaults left and one of them was the coliseum style with traps. One you get all the treasure chests in a vault you can't go back into it.
Old 01-11-21, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I'm not very far in this game at all, but I am enjoying it.
But I had one problem that was frustrating. I did a couple of quests (centered around Aphrodite), then when I went to do a manual save, the game froze on me. I had to shut it down from the XSX home screen, but when I re-started the game, the last save was before I did any of that stuff. Surely, there would have been at least a few auto-saves in between, but... there was nothing. So I lost about an hour and a half of progress. Not a big deal, as I can just re-do it, but still frustrating.
Old 01-14-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well this is irritating as fuck. I played for about five hours last night. When I just went to jump back in, there was an update to download. Afterwards, it doesn’t show my manual save from last night and all of the saves it does show are from Tuesday. Wiped out a lot of progress, but I’m enjoying the game enough that I guess I’ll redo that stuff.
Old 01-14-21, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a follow up/potential warning, I seem unable to save progress now. I played for about 20 minutes after my previous post, saved the game fine and reloaded it a couple hours later to play some more. Just finished redoing everything from last night, went to save and it shows all my saves today, both auto and manual, as corrupted. I’ll try starting it up tomorrow, but if I really lost that much progress again, I’m probably done with it. It’s too bad, as I was having a lot of fun with the game.
Old 01-15-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

What console are you playing it on?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.