DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/649072-immortals-fenyx-rising-ubisoft-all-platforms-12-3-20-a.html)

The Questyen 12-13-20 09:42 AM

Re: Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft, all platforms, 12/3/20)

This game has hooked me hard. In about 4 days I've already put in like 22 hours. Fun gameplay and looks amazing. I love all the little puzzles that you have to solve out in the environment and the vaults are the right amount of challenge and fun. My only negative is related to the map system. You go to the top of statues to unlock sections of the map which is fine but then you have to manually scan the environment to tag everything which when most areas have like 50 things in them means you are scanning for like 10 minutes. Much preferred if it just auto showed you all that stuff when you unlocked areas. Not anything too egregious but a slight annoyance.

lwhy? 12-27-20 09:37 AM

On sale for $29.99 now at Amazon, Gamestop, and Target.

Noonan 12-28-20 09:53 AM

I've put maybe 15 hours into this so far. I'm just finishing up Ares.

Fun mix of AC and BotW, although it's not as good as either on their own. The comedic commentary by Zeus is entertaining. Nice to play something more light hearted after Valhalla and Cyberpunk.

The Questyen 01-09-21 10:01 PM

Just got the platinum trophy today and did every vault and got all the chests. One of the funnest open world games I've ever played. Can't wait for the first batch of DLC later this month.

maxfisher 01-11-21 11:04 AM

I’m having a blast with this and really taking my time to clear out each section before moving on to the next. For me, its puzzles absolutely nail the sweet spot of making you feel smart (or at least clever) for solving them without being so hard or obtuse that they get frustrating. It’s also the first game in ages where I haven’t just picked a favorite weapon/armor/etc set, but change things up based on the situation.

Combat’s enjoyable and seems pretty flexible as well. I’ve focused almost exclusively on bows so far, barely upgrading axes and not touching swords. Darting around, stunning people with headshots and then chucking boulders at them while they’re down is a lot of fun.

One tip that I stumbled on by accident and wish I’d known earlier: you can scan your surroundings and tag things from anywhere. I thought you had to do it all from the main statues and that was taking forever. I find it far preferable to just periodically scan the general area I’m in for stuff that’s nearby.

The Questyen 01-11-21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 13872722)
I’m having a blast with this and really taking my time to clear out each section before moving on to the next. For me, its puzzles absolutely nail the sweet spot of making you feel smart (or at least clever) for solving them without being so hard or obtuse that they get frustrating. It’s also the first game in ages where I haven’t just picked a favorite weapon/armor/etc set, but change things up based on the situation.

Combat’s enjoyable and seems pretty flexible as well. I’ve focused almost exclusively on bows so far, barely upgrading axes and not touching swords. Darting around, stunning people with headshots and then chucking boulders at them while they’re down is a lot of fun.

One tip that I stumbled on by accident and wish I’d known earlier: you can scan your surroundings and tag things from anywhere. I thought you had to do it all from the main statues and that was taking forever. I find it far preferable to just periodically scan the general area I’m in for stuff that’s nearby.

Just a heads up too you get way more than enough stuff to level up everything. I had already maxed out everything before I was even like 2/3 of the way through the game.

Also a heads up for anyone who plans on going after the platinum trophy there is only one trophy that you can block yourself out of if you have already completed all the vaults. It's the trophy for having 10 enemies die in traps inside a vault. Thankfully I still had 3 vaults left and one of them was the coliseum style with traps. One you get all the treasure chests in a vault you can't go back into it.

Dan 01-11-21 01:33 PM

I'm not very far in this game at all, but I am enjoying it.
But I had one problem that was frustrating. I did a couple of quests (centered around Aphrodite), then when I went to do a manual save, the game froze on me. I had to shut it down from the XSX home screen, but when I re-started the game, the last save was before I did any of that stuff. Surely, there would have been at least a few auto-saves in between, but... there was nothing. So I lost about an hour and a half of progress. Not a big deal, as I can just re-do it, but still frustrating.

maxfisher 01-14-21 03:26 PM

Well this is irritating as fuck. I played for about five hours last night. When I just went to jump back in, there was an update to download. Afterwards, it doesn’t show my manual save from last night and all of the saves it does show are from Tuesday. Wiped out a lot of progress, but I’m enjoying the game enough that I guess I’ll redo that stuff.

maxfisher 01-14-21 10:11 PM

As a follow up/potential warning, I seem unable to save progress now. I played for about 20 minutes after my previous post, saved the game fine and reloaded it a couple hours later to play some more. Just finished redoing everything from last night, went to save and it shows all my saves today, both auto and manual, as corrupted. I’ll try starting it up tomorrow, but if I really lost that much progress again, I’m probably done with it. It’s too bad, as I was having a lot of fun with the game.

dsa_shea 01-15-21 03:11 PM

What console are you playing it on?

maxfisher 01-15-21 04:37 PM

Series X. I did some more digging online and it looks like quite a few people have had issues with Ubisoft games corrupting saves if you let the console do quick resume, which can’t be turned off but can be circumvented by closing the game from the Home Screen. I didn’t have the problem with AC: Valhalla or the first 30 hours of Fenyx, but I guess maybe I’ll give it one more shot and close the game after each time I play.

Deftones 01-22-21 10:08 PM

tonyc3742 03-05-21 12:55 PM

On sale again, at least on Xbox.com, 30 for regular and 50 for Gold which includes the season pass and the preorder bonus.
I know it's short-ish (actually that's a benefit). Is it still holding up? Has the Save issue been fixed (on XSX)?

nickdawgy 03-05-21 02:22 PM

I still have to play this.

Michael Corvin 03-05-21 03:55 PM

I've sat down three different times to play, maybe an hour each and I'm just not feeling it. The hub world(?) is ugly and I cannot get into the controls (the right trigger and bumper are the action buttons?). So weird.

Might give it one more shot before throwing in the towel.

The Questyen 03-05-21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13901104)
I've sat down three different times to play, maybe an hour each and I'm just not feeling it. The hub world(?) is ugly and I cannot get into the controls (the right trigger and bumper are the action buttons?). So weird.

I couldn't disagree more. One of the best looking and best controls of any open world game I've played.

CoolHandDan 03-06-21 03:23 PM

I’m loving this as well. Started a few days ago. Just got all three tears and now heading to get the apple. It’s a lot of fun to play and the humor is goofy but entertaining

majorjoe23 03-07-21 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13901104)

I’m with you. I downloaded the demo, and the controls felt weird to me.

CoolHandDan 03-08-21 03:39 PM

Ok. How do I activate the Phosphor birds on the PS5. I have two. I can select them but not sure how to sue them in battle

Decker 03-08-21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by CoolHandDan (Post 13902400)
Ok. How do I activate the Phosphor birds on the PS5. I have two. I can select them but not sure how to sue them in battle

Unfortunately, you waive all potential liability claims when they join you in battle.

;)

CoolHandDan 03-08-21 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13902408)
Unfortunately, you waive all potential liability claims when they join you in battle.

;)

Ha ha I just realized my error.

The Questyen 06-12-21 09:04 PM

The Season Pass for this ended up being quite a big disappointment. The first DLC was just a bunch more of the trials just way harder then any in the main game. The second DLC was the only good one and played basically the same as the main game just with Chinese mythology and characters. The third DLC was a top down brawler and was a frustrating experience to play.

Decker 06-12-21 09:29 PM

Yeah? I thought that third one looked kinda cool. I had no idea how it played though.

OldBoy 11-30-21 02:36 PM

Can someone please help me? I’ve suddenly lost even though it’s there the ability to pick up objects, blocks and stuff. I hold LB (Xbox) and hit Y and all I get is a eh eh and unhighlighted. Very frustrating. I closed game, restarted console, uninstalled, reinstalled, checked online. Any help, much appreciated…

Wolf359 11-30-21 08:57 PM

Funny this was bumped because I just finished it. One of my very few platinums. A lot of fun, even if the enemy variety could have been better.

maxfisher 11-30-21 10:41 PM

Seeing this on Black Friday ads reminded me that I had bought the season pass during a sale, but never played it. Just wrapping up the first dlc and like it a lot. It’s nothing but the challenge puzzles, but I really enjoyed those and the ones in the dlc are more difficult and creative than what I remember from when I played though the main game at the beginning of the year.

OldBoy 12-01-21 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14019060)
Can someone please help me? I’ve suddenly lost even though it’s there the ability to pick up objects, blocks and stuff. I hold LB (Xbox) and hit Y and all I get is a eh eh and unhighlighted. Very frustrating. I closed game, restarted console, uninstalled, reinstalled, checked online. Any help, much appreciated…

anyone come across this?

OldBoy 12-01-21 06:32 PM

You think if I delete saves and start from beginning might work? I still can’t find what’s wrong or how to fix. It’s so perplexing. Went back today. Reloaded saves, quit game, back in and eh eh when I try to do the Herakles ability or whatever…

OldBoy 12-02-21 04:58 PM

I figured it out. I must have glossed over cut scene. They were stolen by Hermes for a brief moment and I didn’t have them during this Myth quest. I saw a video where I shoot control arrows to light fixture on back wall. This is just before opening title card. My bad. I’m an idiot. Now, I gots some real wings. This should be fun. The whole game is one big puzzle. Some I get, got the constellations which surprised me. But puzzle after puzzle. Still loving and got the itch back. I did start again and deleted saves but didn’t get very far so made up ground and then some pretty quick. And right before Halo. That was dumb. Not sure I can keep Halo on back burner.

maxfisher 12-07-21 09:59 AM

Well, I’ve got to revise my opinion of the dlc.

I still would recommend the first one to anyone who enjoyed the vault puzzles from the main game.

The second one is essentially the main game on a new, smaller map with different characters and the dad humor turned up from a charm-wearing-thin 7 to a please-just-stop 10.

The third one is for masochists who want to replay sections over and over because they died from off-screen enemies or trying to jump to something off-screen. The top-down view is a complete train wreck for the world/gameplay they put together and I quit and deleted it ~3 hours in.

Eric F 12-16-21 06:45 PM

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...s-fenyx-rising

$14 right now after the $10 coupon at the Epic store. I'm going to pick this up along with Valhalla and The Eternal Cylinder.

OldBoy 05-11-22 09:33 AM

i'm loving this game now and addicted, but some of these puzzles in the vaults are absolutely maddening. if i didn't use a guide online for some of them i would have no idea which round ball goes into which slot and stuff. i mean there are no hints as far as i can see so i am so befuddled how people figure them out.

OldBoy 05-20-22 09:56 AM

are there clues, in-game, telling you how to figure out these torturous puzzles? this Medusa one i did had me killing her 3 times and moving double boxes all over the damn place. how do figure out in-game?

Rob V 05-23-22 07:57 AM

^^ Do you have access to Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...edusa%27s+lair

Not sure if this is where you're stuck but you'd be amazed at how many resources there are on that site.

OldBoy 05-23-22 08:43 AM

^ i've only been using youtube to get my puzzles solved. but the idea of having to use it for each and every challenge and vault is just ridiculous. it'll take me :30m just for one vault. looking at my phone, then doing a few moves, then looking again, then...It gets overwhelming and maddening even though i love the game so...

dsa_shea 05-23-22 10:56 AM

Imagine having to read words on here from one of us for every single puzzle you are stuck on. I'm not sure what is a better way for you to solve each puzzle. Does it suck? Absolutely. However, it is better than being forever stuck on a puzzle and not being able to move on. I'm using videos to help me beat challenges and get minikits in the new Lego Skywalker game. It is tedious, but less tedious than spending an hour running around aimlessly to accomplish the same thing.

OldBoy 05-23-22 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 14107579)
Imagine having to read words on here from one of us for every single puzzle you are stuck on. I'm not sure what is a better way for you to solve each puzzle. Does it suck? Absolutely. However, it is better than being forever stuck on a puzzle and not being able to move on. I'm using videos to help me beat challenges and get minikits in the new Lego Skywalker game. It is tedious, but less tedious than spending an hour running around aimlessly to accomplish the same thing.

i'm not asking anyone for tips on a particular vault or challenge. i was merely asking if there are in-game clues to figure out these puzzles. that's all. i see blue floating guys near challenges sometime, but not sure what they are about.

Eric F 05-23-22 12:05 PM

Don’t play this right after playing one of the more recent AC releases. Apparently it’s by the same team, and I found it to be too “samey”. After hundreds of hours of AC Valhalla (oh god, why won’t it end) I was burnt out on the formula.

Noonan 05-23-22 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 14107625)
Don’t play this right after playing one of the more recent AC releases. Apparently it’s by the same team, and I found it to be too “samey”. After hundreds of hours of AC Valhalla (oh god, why won’t it end) I was burnt out on the formula.

Literally the first line of the first post in the thread. :lol:

Eric F 05-24-22 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 14107627)
Literally the first line of the first post in the thread. :lol:

Same team doesn’t automatically mean same formula, which, with the exception of the puzzle element is. I probably would have been better off playing this game instead of Valhalla.