DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Analogue Pocket - FPGA handheld (GB, GBC, GBA, GG, NGPC, Lynx, more) - 2020 - $199 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/648890-analogue-pocket-fpga-handheld-gb-gbc-gba-gg-ngpc-lynx-more-2020-%24199.html)

Dan 10-16-19 02:32 PM

Analogue Pocket - FPGA handheld (GB, GBC, GBA, GG, NGPC, Lynx, more) - 2020 - $199

Neat!
https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

https://i.imgur.com/P5dlz1L.png

3.5”, 615 ppi, LCD. 1600x1440 resolution, 10x the resolution of an original Game Boy. (160x144)

A multi-video-game-system portable handheld. A digital audio workstation with a built-in synthesizer and sequencer. A tribute to portable gaming. Out of the box, Pocket is compatible with the 2,780+ Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance game cartridge library. Pocket works with cartridge adapters for other handheld systems, too. Like Game Gear. Neo Geo Pocket Color. Atari Lynx & more. Completely engineered in *two FPGAs.
No emulation.

Pocket is designed around a first-in-class 3.5”, 615 ppi, LCD. With a 1600x1440 resolution, Pocket has 10x the resolution of an original Game Boy. Yeah. We can hardly believe it, either. Pro level color accuracy, dynamic range, and brightness. There has never been a display this advanced in a video game system.

Analogue isn’t just for games anymore.
It’s for making music.
Pocket has a digital audio workstation built in called Nanoloop. It’s a synthesizer and a sequencer. Designed for music creation and live performance. Shape, stretch and morph sounds. Capture music or play and sculpt live.
Also a dock:

Introducing Analogue Dock™,
for when you put it down.

Play your Pocket on the big screen. Put your Pocket into Dock and it outputs directly to your HDTV. Sync up any wireless 8BitDo Bluetooth controller directly to Dock for wireless play. You can also connect controllers directly via wired USB, too.
https://i.imgur.com/prsZgxt.png

Specs:

Pocket Tech Specs
Compatible with Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance game cartridges.
• 3.5" LTPS LCD. 1600×1440 resolution. 615ppi
• Rechargeable lithium ion battery.
• All buttons mappable.
• Stereo Speakers.
• microSD.
• USB-C charging.
• 3.5mm headphone output.
• Original-style link plug.
• Rechargeable battery.

Analogue Dock Tech Specs
• HDMI output.
• 2 USB inputs for wired controllers.
• Bluetooth for wireless controllers.
• DAC compatible.
They made one mistake, though...

Pocket is designed around a first-in-class 3.5”, 615 ppi, LCD. With a 1600x1440 resolution, Pocket has 10x the resolution of an original Game Boy. Yeah. We can hardly believe it, either.
It's not 10x.

It's 100x.

Looks pretty slick.
https://i.imgur.com/SFZZTrnh.png

Mike86 10-16-19 03:07 PM

Re: Analogue Pocket - FPGA handheld (GB, GBC, GBA, GG, NGPC, Lynx, more) - 2020 - $199

I had actually been considering getting a GameBoy Advance SP for my GameBoy/GameBoy Color/GBA games but think I’ll wait and get this now.

Jeremy517 10-16-19 04:18 PM

Re: Analogue Pocket - FPGA handheld (GB, GBC, GBA, GG, NGPC, Lynx, more) - 2020 - $199

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13624912)
They made one mistake, though...

It's not 10x.

It's 100x.

Depends on how you count. If you are just going based on number of pixels it is 60x, but doing it that way is kind of misleading. If you are going by the ratio of the dimensions, it is 6 2/3x the width and 9x the height. Also those measurements mean it is either going to be letterboxed, cropped, or stretched.

Edit: Ignore this, I was thinking of the GBA's resolution

Jeremy517 10-16-19 04:19 PM

Also, saying "no emulation" is misleading since FPGA is still emulation. They just have an asterisk at the bottom that says no software emulation.

Dan 10-16-19 04:28 PM

I think your math is off. GB resolution is 160x144.
Analogue Pocket resolution is 1600x1440. it's 10x in both directions.
So GB games will be a perfect scale. A 10x10 GB tile will be a 100x100 tile. It's 10x on each axis, but 100x overall.
I'm not sure about the resolution of all the other game formats it supports, though. I imagine there will be some scaling and letterboxing, appropriately.

As for the emulation thing... yeah. I get what you mean. Hardware emulation isn't the same as software emulation, but it's still "emulation" in the greater sense.

milo bloom 10-16-19 04:36 PM

I love the idea of these, but we have a GBA SP still in very good shape so we use that for all our GB games. And even that doesn't get played that often.

Jeremy517 10-16-19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13624995)
I think your math is off. GB resolution is 160x144.

Whoops yeah, I was thinking of the GBA resolution instead, which is 240x160.

Dan 10-16-19 04:45 PM

Ah yeah, that makes sense. GBA is a little bit wider (1.5:1 on GBA vs 1.1:1 on GB), so I'm sure Analogue Pocket will offer 1:1 scaling with letterboxing AND some kind of stretching.

DVDTalker76 10-16-19 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 13624983)
Also, saying "no emulation" is misleading since FPGA is still emulation. They just have an asterisk at the bottom that says no software emulation.

Thank you. I'm so tired of them spitting out this marketing point and everyone - "professional journalists" included - just lapping it up without question. It can be argued that FPGA reproductions are superior, that hardware is better than software, etc... but they are really pushing semantics to their advantage here. It also ultimately comes down to the quality of the implementation in the end, whether you are setting up an FPGA or writing an emulator.

Mike86 10-16-19 05:16 PM

I think more people care about software emulation versus hardware is why not many people bring that up.

Dan 10-16-19 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by wtsang (Post 13625019)
Thank you. I'm so tired of them spitting out this marketing point and everyone - "professional journalists" included - just lapping it up without question. It can be argued that FPGA reproductions are superior, that hardware is better than software, etc... but they are really pushing semantics to their advantage here. It also ultimately comes down to the quality of the implementation in the end, whether you are setting up an FPGA or writing an emulator.

but it's not semantics. It's a fundamentally different method of reproducing the original hardware's functionality.
I agree that it may not be “better” but to call it semantics is needlessly dismissive.

Mike86 10-16-19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13625003)
I love the idea of these, but we have a GBA SP still in very good shape so we use that for all our GB games. And even that doesn't get played that often.

If I already had one I’d probably be content with that too. The SP seems like a nice little handheld. This should be nicer though. Plus it’s nice having the options of the additional handhelds to use with it.

DVDTalker76 10-16-19 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13625041)

but it's not semantics. It's a fundamentally different method of reproducing the original hardware's functionality.
I agree that it may not be “better” but to call it semantics is needlessly dismissive.

I fully acknowledged that: "software vs. hardware". Their continual "no emulation" claim is strongly questionable when FPGA reproductions can be defined as hardware emulation. They are playing with terminology in a way that is deceptive to a less-informed consumer.

Mike86 10-16-19 11:00 PM

Pretty sure most people buying Analogue products are informed as to what they’re getting and not many are just average joes looking to play retro games on an expensive console.

tanman 10-17-19 12:52 AM

Looks awesome but $200 is a bit steep. I thought that Nintendo would have come out with a gameboy version of the next iteration of their classic line. Like maybe a GB color with a much better screen and included games for $50.

Mike86 07-27-20 07:50 PM

This goes up for pre-order on August 3rd. Not expected to ship until May 2021. I’m probably going to pre-order. Just need to decide if I want it in black or white.

They’re offering a bunch of accessories for it too. The dock is going to be $99. There’s also the adapters for the Neo Geo Pocket Color, Game Gear, and Lynx for $29.99 each. Plus stuff like a screen protector, a case, some cables, a fast charger.

I’m for sure going to get the Pocket itself and probably a screen protector. Maybe the fast charger.

fujishig 08-03-20 10:48 AM

Already sold out.

Dan 08-03-20 11:10 AM

Yep. I thought long and hard about getting this, but couldn't do it today for other reasons. I think I'm on board with getting one eventually, but I'm not in a rush. I can wait until the next round or until there's more casual availability.

Mike86 08-03-20 11:27 AM

Was on the site and ready to pre-order. Got stuck on the screen where it was calculating shipping and it sold out.

I don’t really get how you sell out of a pre-order that’s almost a year away. I would think it would make more sense to have a pre-order window period if they wanted to make it limited rather than producing just a set amount.

I kind of hate companies that pull shit like this where they limit to the point where it’s not even easy to obtain an item.

rocket1312 12-17-21 02:38 PM

Anyone here get one of these besides me? I get the sense that whatever shine was on Analogue in past years has kind of worn off in the eyes of some, but I'm having fun with this. Its feels great, although it may not be ideal for those with larger hands. I haven't played anything with the shoulder buttons yet, but I could imagine those not being the most comfortable to use. Right now all I'm doing is playing around with the 10 or 12 old games I had on the original Gameboy back when I was a kid, but now that I finally have it in hand, maybe I'll pick up some GBA stuff. That was a system I never had or never played. I've read a bunch of reports of problems with both the system and the dock, but I haven't seen anything yet on my end. But I also haven't attempted to update the firmware (which Analogue suggested we do immediately) and that seems to be the source of some of the problems out there.

Dan 12-17-21 03:16 PM

I'm definitely interested but I'm in no rush. I do absolutely love how they've used their high res screen not to just produce 'pixel perfect' rendering, but rather a hybrid where it can genuinely mimic the look and feel of the original screens without the bigger drawbacks like lack of brightness, by giving it those outlines around the pixels and not just 'scanlines'.

It's very cool and tough to describe, but the Digital Foundry video goes into it a bit.

rocket1312 12-17-21 03:31 PM

Like I said, I've only been playing orginal Gameboy games and I LOVE the way it mimics the pea green screen. It feels 100% authentic, but like you said, without any of the drawbacks.

Mike86 12-17-21 04:04 PM

I’m wanting to get this. I might put in a pre-order at some point, but I know I’d be in the third batch at this point. So I wouldn’t even get it until early 2023.

fujishig 12-17-21 04:53 PM

If the order numbers are indeed sequential, they sold a crapload of preorders within the first hour or so of opening them up again.

milo bloom 12-17-21 05:39 PM

I couldn’t see a price when looking earlier, what’s this gonna set ya back?