Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone not really care about the next gen console after PS4 and One X?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Does anyone not really care about the next gen console after PS4 and One X?
Yes
40.74%
No
22.22%
Depends (please explain...)
11.11%
What are you high?
25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Does anyone not really care about the next gen console after PS4 and One X?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Does anyone not really care about the next gen console after PS4 and One X?

Every system that I own, I have games for that I've never played. And that's not including free ones from Xbox Live. So there's a huge backlog to deal with.

And console technology has come so far in the last two generations, I wonder how much more they could improve it?

If the PS5 or next Xbox truly makes some kind of leap in gaming, I won't wait 3-4 years to buy them.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 10-09-19 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

There is a huge difference between how the PS3 operates and plays games from the PS4. I think the difference between how the 5 operates and performs in comparison to the 4 will be substantial as well.
Old 10-09-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Are we supposed to answer this as:

YES, I don't really care...
or
NO, I don't really care?
Considering too that he's a school teacher.

It should have been simplified:

Does anyone care about the next gen console after PS4 and One X?

Old 10-10-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Considering too that he's a school teacher.

It should have been simplified:

Does anyone care about the next gen console after PS4 and One X?
Actually, should have been ‘Do you care about...’, as I’m sure we all know many people who couldn’t care less about any console news.

Anyway, I was thinking about this when the PS5 thread got started. The current gen is the first one where I was well off enough financially that I indulged and bought a whole lot of things at launch (xbox one, xbox one x, ps4, ps4 pro, ps vr, switch & occulus quest). With two young sons and increased responsibilities professionally, I just don’t have the time I used to for the hobby. The ps4 and switch have definitely gotten enough use to justify owning them, but the rest are pretty much expensive dust gatherers. This time around, I’ll probably get a ps5 at launch and maybe the switch follow up, but I’m really going to try to forgo anything else.
Old 10-10-19, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Microsoft was actually really smart with that Gamepass deal. I would have certainly passed up their next gen offering, but I think I'll still have Gamepass when the next gen comes out and if they have some offering on there early, I'll probably buy it.
Old 10-10-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hard to care since nothing has been released.

I pay attention to real tangible things, not specs on a press release
Old 10-10-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

My X1 has pretty much been a Rainbow 6 Siege dedicated machine for the last 18 months. I'm not sure I'll ever get into another game let alone justify the need for the next gen systems... I'm certain I'll still buy them but I've not found a game that grabs my attention like R6 has.
Old 10-10-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

As always I’ll buy the new systems as games I am dying to play come out on them.
Old 10-10-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I waited 4 years before getting a PS4, and I likely would have waited longer if my wife wouldn't have bought it for me. My backlog is huge on the PS4, and partially the PS3, and I am one to wait until I play my games before buying a new console. Prior to the PS4, I played all the games I wanted to on a console before upgrading. Unless someone buys me a PS5, it'll be years after release before I pick one up. The only way that'll change, is if I can transfer all of my PS4 games to the PS5. It's supposed to have backwards compatibility, so I'll see how that plays out. Even then, I still won't pick one up on launch or close to it.
Old 10-10-19, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a PC last year, and haven’t really touched my PS4 in weeks/months, despite wanting to finish RDR2. Now that it’s coming to PC I’d rather rebuy it now than play on the PS. So I probably won’t get the PS5 either...
Old 10-10-19, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Are we supposed to answer this as:

YES, I don't really care...
or
NO, I don't really care?
I answered "Yes" ... but I do care about the PS5 so I think I did it wrong

Aside from increases in processing power, I think steady state drives will have a huge impact on how well games play (loading time delays should be minimal). And having dived into PSVR earlier this year, being able to output 4K (and presumably an upgraded VR headset that can handle it) should also be huge. I'm probably not going to be rushing to get one as soon as their released, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting a PS5 within a year of its release.
Old 10-11-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Since backwards compatabilty seems to be confirmed on the PS5, that makes my decision a lot easier. Especially if it is able to improve older games even more than the PS4 Pro did.
Old 10-11-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
I built a PC last year, and haven’t really touched my PS4 in weeks/months, despite wanting to finish RDR2. Now that it’s coming to PC I’d rather rebuy it now than play on the PS. So I probably won’t get the PS5 either...
We had a IT person come out yesterday to set our PC ( a gaming one from Cyberpower) for the wife to work from home while recovering from surgery and he heaped praise after praise on our setup (including the 27" monitor) noting how clean and awesome it was .....it's over a year old....

So I got to thinking about the Game PC vs PS5/Scarlet that will be coming along with price and features. I much prefer the simplicity of just popping in a disc and ready to go on a large screen (in this case a 92" projector screen)...but no doubt that PC gaming has been coming on strong with more companies pumping out affordable gaming rigs to making it easier to build your own. On top of that is the kicker there is a real push for cross-play. While consoles offer a solid price per performance along with being more user friendly, PC offers far more choices in games, game prices, upgrades and almost dare say advantages in game play..

Given the fact if I have $500-$600 in hand and looking at getting a PS5 while I have a working PS4...or seriously looking at getting upgrades for our current PC or just investing in another...be a tough choice...
Old 10-11-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
We had a IT person come out yesterday to set our PC ( a gaming one from Cyberpower) for the wife to work from home while recovering from surgery and he heaped praise after praise on our setup (including the 27" monitor) noting how clean and awesome it was .....it's over a year old....

So I got to thinking about the Game PC vs PS5/Scarlet that will be coming along with price and features. I much prefer the simplicity of just popping in a disc and ready to go on a large screen (in this case a 92" projector screen)...but no doubt that PC gaming has been coming on strong with more companies pumping out affordable gaming rigs to making it easier to build your own. On top of that is the kicker there is a real push for cross-play. While consoles offer a solid price per performance along with being more user friendly, PC offers far more choices in games, game prices, upgrades and almost dare say advantages in game play..

Given the fact if I have $500-$600 in hand and looking at getting a PS5 while I have a working PS4...or seriously looking at getting upgrades for our current PC or just investing in another...be a tough choice...
Can you really buy a gaming PC equivalent to whatever the PS5 is going to be for the same price? Upgrade, I can understand.
Old 10-11-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Can you really buy a gaming PC equivalent to whatever the PS5 is going to be for the same price? Upgrade, I can understand.
Not even close. Assuming it comes in at $500; you'd have to spend double that to get just a GPU that would have the same power. Not even considering all the other components.
Old 10-11-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
You can build a mid-range gaming PC for around $450 if you hit some deals and and it would play pretty much any game you throw at it in the current market if you adjust/lower some game settings on some of the more high-end games, but as to whether it competes with a PS5 performance wise, I'm not sure as I haven't looked into what specs the PS5 is said to have.

My current PC I spent around $700 on nearly 4 years ago and I still get anywhere from 30 to 60 fps on most games and have no problems playing any of the games I've thrown at it. I am however planning an upgrade sometime next year: new mobo, new cpu, new gfx card, and new ram. Which based on current prices of things, the parts I plan on getting would cost around $600, but I'll probably upgrade in pieces over time. Though prices may actually drop a bit on some of it by the time I'm ready, but then again it could also skyrocket, prices fluctuate a lot.
Old 10-12-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only been gaming on my X1 even though I have games for the PS4. I've been waiting for a good price, bundle, limited edition, etc for the PS4 but have been unlucky (pre-orders for the 500 million console and kingdom hearts console were cancelled). I figured I'd wait until the PS4 were being clearance out but since the PS5 will be bc compatible I'll prob just skip the PS4 and get the PS5.
Old 10-13-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, the main reason I've been using my PC for about 95% of the time since I got it is that I've gotten really addicted to sim racing (iRacing mostly) in VR - which really is not an option at all on console. I've picked up a couple other new games since (RDR 2 being the main one) but end up not playing them very much. That said, I'll probably rebuy RDR2 for the PC, and I'd like to play TLoU2 when it comes out, which will of course mean dusting off the PS4.
Old 10-13-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I didn’t get a PS4 until last December, so I’ll be good for a while.

I’m sure a sequel to the latest Spider-Man game being next gen exclusive might speed things up a bit.

But I’ve also still got Wii, Wii U and 360 games to beat, so no rush.
Old 10-13-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I think this might actually be my last console cycle. Don't really play the PS4 much at all any more, as all I really enjoy these days are couch co-op games with my partner. Those are becoming few and far between though, and I don't see that trend turning around with the new consoles.
Old 10-13-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Not even close. Assuming it comes in at $500; you'd have to spend double that to get just a GPU that would have the same power. Not even considering all the other components.
PS5 won't use an equivalent of a $1000 GPU. That is silly.

You still won't be able to build an equivalent computer for $500, though, as the PS5 will presumably be sold at a loss. PC gaming has a lot of advantages over console gaming, but hardware performance per dollar isn't really one of them.
Old 10-14-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'll probably get a PS5 something like 9 to 12 months after launch. It should have a handful of good exclusives by then.
Old 10-14-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I just got a PS4 last year. I'll be trying to get through all the PS4 games by the time the PS5 has a price drop. Games these days take way too long to finish. I just don't have the free time anymore. It'll take me 3 or 4 months to beat a 60-100 hour game. Trying to keep up with the latest movies, tv shows, books and video games is all consuming.... I'm always excited for new consoles, but I always wait for a price drop.
Old 10-14-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

There's simply too much entertainment and not enough time and money to consume it all. Video games, especially since they take so much time.

I'm probably going to wait on this one as well. I got my PS4 in 2015 and I don't think I've played it enough where it's worth it right now to upgrade to another console. I barely have enough time to keep up with new TV, streaming, movies.
Old 10-14-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Wow, so many late PS4 adopters. Where are all the launch day people? I know I wasn't alone. Hell I recall a lot of people (including myself) pre-ordering after the E3 press conference after MS shot themselves in the foot with the all digital/kinect nonsense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.