Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Every console that launched at $500 thus far has been a failure. Hell the Xbox One still hasn't recovered.

That being the case I expect both companies to ignore history altogether and launch at that price.
​​​​​
That would seem to be insane for Xbox to do that, given that it's basically 500 bucks to get an upgraded experience on games you can already play on your existing console (since they said no new exclusives for the first two years), AND they want to push gamepass sub numbers up. It is Sony's turn to drop the ball after being dominant this gen, so maybe they price it at 500, let Xbox undercut them, and the sides can shift yet again.
Old 02-14-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't understand how anyone could balk at a $499.99 price tag for a console. It's nothing compared to the value you are getting out of it. It might be out of the range of an impulse buy but I highly doubt that another $99.99 will stop a gamer from getting one.
Old 02-14-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I don't understand how anyone could balk at a $499.99 price tag for a console. It's nothing compared to the value you are getting out of it. It might be out of the range of an impulse buy but I highly doubt that another $99.99 will stop a gamer from getting one.
For me it's because I can easily build a mid-level gaming PC for that much and get WAY more bang for my buck.
Old 02-14-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Ken Kutaragi, is that you?

Like deja vu (predictions were they would take 100 loss per unit to price the PS3 competitively, which they didn't):
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ays-new-report
"Whether consumers think a product is expensive or cheap all depends on the balance between its appeal and price," he told the magazine. "Our ideal [for PS3] is for consumers to think to themselves, 'OK, I'll work more hours and buy it.' We want people to feel that they want it, no matter what."
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-says-kutaragi
"For instance," Kutaragi continued, "Is it not nonsense to compare the charge for dinner at the company cafeteria with dinner at a fine restaurant? It's a question of what you can do with that game machine. If you can have an amazing experience, we believe price is not a problem."
Old 02-14-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
For me it's because I can easily build a mid-level gaming PC for that much and get WAY more bang for my buck.
More than what we've seen of the PS5 so far? In past generations that comment has been true but I think we've past that point. What we've seen of the PS5 so far would blow away a PC built for $500.
Old 02-14-20, 03:25 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Is it really going to be that weird thing with the V-shape in it? It looks so bulky, like what a console would look like in a movie from the 1960s.

Old 02-14-20, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm hoping for 450-500. I paid 600 for 2 PS3 systems and this one will blow that out of the water in both price and capabilities.
Old 02-15-20, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I agree with you one that but there are pros & cons.....

No doubt PC Gamers have far more flexibility, power, various unlimited upgrades & hardware along with a vast library of games (and other software)...it comes with not just a price but also longevity compared to consoles. With a PC Rig, say a new medium to high range, after 3-5 years that becomes a entry level whereas a console lifespan has been recently around 6-7. To top it of, that's a one time purchase versus facing upgrading a PC's video card, MB, HD's and CPU which now can run the same cost of a console which itself is constantly improving almost yearly as well.

The other part of the equation is the Software/Games....Devs can always improve and constantly pushing the latest..."Eye Candy"....with PC Game which basically leads to constantly needing to upgrade your rig but allows PC Gamers so much more than console games. However with Console Games, the Devs have a system in their hands that won't change for 6-8+ years and know exactly what they can do and how far they can go & limitations.

And finally it's boils down the ...Simplicity...I have now(PS4) and had on the Xbox and 360 that some did game on the PC but between time along with kids, family, they like the easiness of just firing it, plopping a disc or DL a Digital Version and ready to go on any TV or Projector Screen you have....be it games or TV, it is "Plug & Play"....

All-in-all the PS5 and new XB will do well but PC Gaming actually will remain King, which is good because all platforms need to be a central part of gaming as they all give various options to consumers while giving DEVs a lot of tools to make the games. I still delve into some PC Games here and there with our now medium to entry level rig. But just to many friends are on console and that's where I'll be...
The following users liked this post:
Rob V (02-15-20)
Old 02-15-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'm hoping for 450-500. I paid 600 for 2 PS3 systems and this one will blow that out of the water in both price and capabilities.
Ah, I had completely forgotten that the PS3 was $600 bucks. After going across two towns looking for one, I finally found one at a hole in the wall GameStop right before closing time. To say it was in a very sketchy part of town would be an understatement.

After buying the PS3, a copy of Madden and NBA 2K, my total was over 700 dollars. The GameStop (believe it or not) had some kind of security guy walk me to my car with my purchase because they had some folks trying to steal people's merchandise as they were walking to their car in the last few days. I thanked him, hopped in the car and got the heck out of Dodge.
Old 02-15-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Ah, I had completely forgotten that the PS3 was $600 bucks. After going across two towns looking for one, I finally found one at a hole in the wall GameStop right before closing time. To say it was in a very sketchy part of town would be an understatement.

After buying the PS3, a copy of Madden and NBA 2K, my total was over 700 dollars. The GameStop (believe it or not) had some kind of security guy walk me to my car with my purchase because they had some folks trying to steal people's merchandise as they were walking to their car in the last few days. I thanked him, hopped in the car and got the heck out of Dodge.
I vividly remember buying mine at a Costco along with the biggest shaker of Gold Bond the world has ever known.

And I ended up hating it ( the console that is; the Gold Bond was fine). So much so that it barely got used and I was almost put off of the PlayStation brand entirely. The only reason I ended up with a PS4 at launch was because I had a second 360 and Gamestop was offering extra trade in towards new consoles.

Old 02-15-20, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

$399 - they would be crazy to not price it at $399 or less, they usually lose money on consoles, not make a profit.

Last I read/heard, they were actually waiting to see what the price on the Xbox Series X (and possibly S) would be.
Old 02-15-20, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
$399 - they would be crazy to not price it at $399 or less, they usually lose money on consoles, not make a profit.
The PS4 was very close to break-even at launch — in the black after someone bought one game and a PS+ subscription. ($371 BOM?).

Some thoughts from Albert Penello, who knows a thing or two about launching a console:

Some of the smaller details in the article don't make sense to me, although I can agree with the overall conclusions. I sort of said the same thing after their earnings call based on the comments from the CFO - things appear to be trending more expensive and $399 isn't a slam dunk. They would like to wait until Xbox announces price to make the call. I agree with this sentiment.

The actual dollars don't make sense to me because a $450 launch BOM wouldn't be a super hard pill to swallow to launch at $399 assuming they have line-of-sight for that to come down. I think it would need to be much higher for them to waiver like this.

Second, I don't recall cooling solutions being that cheap - even single components within the system. Still it seems hard to believe that cooling (even an exotic solution) would be something that drives up the price. I also don't believe they couldn't design around this issue. It's all memory, silicon yields, storage and spinning media. Those are the big areas. So a significant increase in memory pricing absolutely could be a driver.

My guess is that costs have gone up enough to put them in a weird spot. Depending on what you want to believe about performance - but if they are actually in a 9-10 vs. 12 situation, being at the same price isn't super fun. And if costs have gone up more than they expect, it could be very hard to get to a $100 delta.

That's my take anyway. I don't think it's a revelatory article, more just adding some texture to things that seem to be known.

(The “9-10 vs. 12” bit is a teraflop argument — that Sony can’t be less powerful and charge as much/more than the Xbox Series X. Of course, there’s still the possibility that there’ll be multiple Xbox models, giving them advantages in both power and price — just not at the same time. )

Old 02-20-20, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

More indicators that the Coronavirus is having a huge impact in the Tech Industry...which still seems to be downplayed by the media here in the USA....The Holiday Season is still a long ways off but doesn't matter if production is significantly impacted which has started...

Sony Won't Attend PAX EAST Either Due To Coronavirus Concerns .........https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-wont-attend-pax-east-either-due-to-coronavirus

Gottlieb: Japan is ‘on the cusp’ of coronavirus epidemic, could indicate pandemic is nearing
....... https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/18/japan-on-the-cusp-of-coronavirus-epidemic-could-indicate-pandemic.html

Global High-tech Supply Chains Disrupted By The Coronavirus
..........https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveba.../#171edb9f3eae

At this point I'm not counting on it nor 100% in on getting it day one. And with what's now going on in Japan as well, with it and China basically the main centers of High Tech Production, I would not be surprised to see and hear both the PS5 and XB Series One be delayed...it's there the new Apple might be as well.
Old 02-20-20, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ I'm ok with a delay. Let's contain this freaking virus before video games don't matter for any of us.
Old 02-20-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Is it really going to be that weird thing with the V-shape in it? It looks so bulky, like what a console would look like in a movie from the 1960s.

Actually I kinda like the design if that’s what it’s going to be. Has a uniqueness to it. I’m not likely to buy it at the rumored launch price though. I can wait a while.
Old 02-20-20, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Actually I kinda like the design if that’s what it’s going to be. Has a uniqueness to it. I’m not likely to buy it at the rumored launch price though. I can wait a while.
I don't think there's even the slightest chance the final console will look like that. At least I hope not, because it looks like shit, and clashes with the aesthetic of past Playstations. This looks like it's straight out of the early 2000s.
Old 02-20-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper
I don't think there's even the slightest chance the final console will look like that. At least I hope not, because it looks like shit, and clashes with the aesthetic of past Playstations. This looks like it's straight out of the early 2000s.
Meh. I like it. Something different versus the box look basically every electronics item goes for.
Old 02-20-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

It's too cumbersome of a design - and if the manufacturing is already driving prices up, that design won't help. Plus, I don't understand the VCR-like buttons on the front. Not necessary; so I call shenanigans on that design anyhow.
Old 02-20-20, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I don't overly care what it looks like, as long as I can disable all of the lights on it. The only major lights I want when playing a game is the TV itself, and the dimmable sconces I have lighting the room itself.
Old 02-20-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

BTW, that mock up is either huge, or the thing only accepts Gamecube size mini-discs. That drive slot is out of proportion with everything else.
Old 02-20-20, 03:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I believe it takes Laserdiscs, if you're trying to get a handle on the size.
Old 02-20-20, 04:10 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Perhaps it's a Micro-SD card slot, they've come down enough in price to replace blu-ray discs, that would make the system about 2 inches wide.
Old 02-20-20, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Isn't that the actual dev kit and not a mock up? Or was that just a rumor?
Old 02-20-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve seen that image floating around for quite a while it seems like so I thought it might be at least close to what’s coming. Guess we should find out soon enough.
Old 02-20-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

IIRC, it was a mock up based on word of mouth of what the dev kits or prototype looked like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.