Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Old 10-09-19, 12:23 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,944
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

^^ ditto. Glad I waited.

I could see a package that includes VR up front... that might be the $800 bundle. I'd spring for that.
Old 10-10-19, 11:16 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,551
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Sony just filled a patent for a new VR headset. I would imagine it would probably launch in 2021 or so after the PS5 is more widely available.
Old 01-06-20, 07:22 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 14,657
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

CES should be bringing us some updates on this. Hereís the updated logo for it.




Old 01-06-20, 07:57 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 47,962
Received 472 Likes on 284 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

I went to CES many years ago ahead of the PS3 launch and stood in line and took pictures of the Batarang they had in a plexiglass display case.
Moral of the story : Don't believe everything you hear from CES.
Old 01-06-20, 08:14 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 59,129
Received 114 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

The following users liked this post:
Rival11 (01-08-20)
Old 01-06-20, 08:49 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 14,657
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I went to CES many years ago ahead of the PS3 launch and stood in line and took pictures of the Batarang they had in a plexiglass display case.
Moral of the story : Don't believe everything you hear from CES.
So you're saying itís fake?
Old 01-06-20, 09:00 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 47,962
Received 472 Likes on 284 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
So you're saying itís fake?
No, just that it's a trade show, not a gamer show and if they wanted to make any significant PS5 announcement they would do it at E3 or some show like that instead.
Old 01-06-20, 09:05 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 14,657
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Ha, okay.
Old 01-08-20, 11:35 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 41,004
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

I'll most likely wait for a few months after launch; late-spring or early-summer, depending on game releases.
Old 01-08-20, 01:47 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 5,939
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

that pic of the logo reminds me of weirdo apple fans.
Old 01-08-20, 07:43 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,483
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
CES should be bringing us some updates on this. Hereís the updated logo for it.




So they put a "5" on the box. Big deal. 🤣
Old 01-08-20, 07:47 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 14,657
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Old 01-08-20, 09:09 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,451
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

(from https://gfycat.com/elementarywhisper...aming-logo-ps5)
Old 01-08-20, 10:29 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,776
Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Old 01-09-20, 03:39 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 4,130
Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

I was considering a PS4 before Christmas until I realized that the next gen was only a year away, so I’m in for it as well. Are they usually backwards compatible? There’s several PS4 games I’ve been wanting to play.
Old 01-09-20, 03:40 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 40,023
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I was considering a PS4 before Christmas until I realized that the next gen was only a year away, so Iím in for it as well. Are they usually backwards compatible? Thereís several PS4 games Iíve been wanting to play.
They were to some extent until the PS4 came out.
Old 01-09-20, 08:14 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,644
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

As a family, we donít buy new tech within the first couple of months at least. But a completely backwards compatible PlayStation would be an immediate buy.
Old 01-09-20, 08:30 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 2,087
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

I only bought the PS4 in Fall 2018 because a friend offered me a great deal: $150 for the console, 2 controllers (one brand new in the box), and 15 games.

Otherwise for me personally, console gaming is mostly dead. PC gaming is where it's at. Only reason to own a console is for a few good exclusives. I use a PC daily while all my consoles are dust collectors for most of the year until I brush one off to play; and now days they lock online play on a console behind a subscription to their service, meanwhile online play on PC is free. PC games are also typically far cheaper, have more sales so you can grab em cheap, and you don't have to worry about re-buying the game for the next-gen consoles on the chance that they don't retain backwards compatibility.
Old 01-10-20, 08:14 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,944
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
I only bought the PS4 in Fall 2018 because a friend offered me a great deal: $150 for the console, 2 controllers (one brand new in the box), and 15 games.

Otherwise for me personally, console gaming is mostly dead. PC gaming is where it's at. Only reason to own a console is for a few good exclusives. I use a PC daily while all my consoles are dust collectors for most of the year until I brush one off to play; and now days they lock online play on a console behind a subscription to their service, meanwhile online play on PC is free. PC games are also typically far cheaper, have more sales so you can grab em cheap, and you don't have to worry about re-buying the game for the next-gen consoles on the chance that they don't retain backwards compatibility.
Opposite for me. I'm sure I could play my PC on a 75" HDTV... but via a console is much easier (IMO). I'm also not nearly nimble enough to use a keyboard for controls and at my age, I don't want to learn.
Old 01-10-20, 08:30 AM
  #45  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 9,419
Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

That's a good point. It's very different using keys and a mouse. I just never could get into it beyond Zork.

Part of me wants to save up for this so I can get it at launch and play great stuff right away with great people like you. On the other hand, it doesn't take long for a price drop, though by then many of you tend to move on from the hot titles. I lost most of my PS3 community by waiting on the PS4 for a year. I got a great deal, but I gave up a lot and looking back I wish I'd paid the extra $200 or whatever to play with people right away.
Old 01-10-20, 08:53 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,843
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
As a family, we don’t buy new tech within the first couple of months at least. But a completely backwards compatible PlayStation would be an immediate buy.

Here's a recent article about the PS5 Backward Compatibility......while many no doubt would love to see past PS3 games on and able to play, one must remember the code and architecture aspects of the PS3 and Games are no-where near what the PS4 and games are. It would take some serious re-work along with emulators to make them work. One reason why we've seen so many "Re-mastered Games" as of late. The second part of it...just how much resources does a DEV want to defer to re-writting, re-working a game from two Gens back instead of putting all their resources into the newest and latest games for a Next Gen Console. Already you can bet with the Dev PS5 Kits on hand, they already have teams working on the next titles, all the while still working on current PS4 ones.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...with_ps4_games
Old 01-10-20, 09:35 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 2,087
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I'm also not nearly nimble enough to use a keyboard for controls and at my age, I don't want to learn.
I use a PS4 controller for every PC game I play. You don't have to use a mouse & keyboard.
Old 01-10-20, 10:54 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 47,962
Received 472 Likes on 284 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Yeah you can do that. But I still avoid gaming on the PC unless I kind of have to, like with strategy games that don't work well with a controller. I like having a system in my game room that I can just plug in and play. I don't have to worry that it might not run well with my current graphics card or it might crash. I just play it. I will never give up consoles.
Old 01-10-20, 03:12 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 59,129
Received 114 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Here's a recent article about the PS5 Backward Compatibility......while many no doubt would love to see past PS3 games on and able to play, one must remember the code and architecture aspects of the PS3 and Games are no-where near what the PS4 and games are. It would take some serious re-work along with emulators to make them work. One reason why we've seen so many "Re-mastered Games" as of late. The second part of it...just how much resources does a DEV want to defer to re-writting, re-working a game from two Gens back instead of putting all their resources into the newest and latest games for a Next Gen Console. Already you can bet with the Dev PS5 Kits on hand, they already have teams working on the next titles, all the while still working on current PS4 ones.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...with_ps4_games
Since PS3 games don't work on PS4, I didn't think we'd see any support on the PS5 either. Confirmation of 100% PS4 backcompat is nice to hear though.

PSNow is the perfect outlet for Sony to let the PS3 library live on if people are dying to play something. Personally, there's only a small handful (single digits) of games that I'd ever revisit.
Old 01-10-20, 05:39 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 4,130
Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - late 2020

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
They were to some extent until the PS4 came out.
Well that sucks! Thereís a lot of games I want to play (Last of Us, RDR, RDR2, Spider-Man, SW Jedi: Fallen Order, Injustice 1&2, probably some others I canít think of right now). If I canít wait a year and play these on PS5 I might just go ahead and get a PS4 instead.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.