PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Old 07-09-21, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by RichC2
There's thousands upon thousands of people trying at the same time to get these and Amazon, frankly, has the worst setup for it.

Best Buy does waves, so every 10 - 15 minutes they release more consoles - just have multiple browsers with multiple tabs open.
Sony's queue system favors those that are "invited" to buy a PS5, but otherwise also have multiple browser tabs open and be there before the queue actually starts.
GameStop does bundles, which are easier to get in on.
NewEgg does a lottery system, but also for bundles.
Target is probably the easiest one since it's local store pick-up only and at 7:40 AM EDT on the days they do it.

I didn't even try last week...wanted to wait and see just what the State of Play Showcase was going to bring out and from all accounts; it was Ho-Hum nothing to brag about and having everyone wanting a PS5 even more. I'm even sort of surprised not much here was even mentioned but that reflects the show. The two biggest announcements.....Deathloop presentation and Death Stranding Director's Cut...which apparently Sony plans to do even more of. SIFU was suppose to be this year but like others got bumped to next...there was nothing on God of War or even Horizon. There wasn't even in Future down-the-road WOW stuff. ...FIST a action platformer that looked good for a Platform game...Jett, Moss 2, Arcadegeddon all Anime/Cell and then Hunter's Arena; Legends which look like a bit of Dynasty Warriors for PvPVE....I am thinking of tribes of Midgard as it's WOW meets Diablo and seems fun and it's cheap at $20..and don't need a PS5 to showcase it either..
Old 07-10-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Apparently Sony's going to have their real "big" show next month, with God of War and Horizons info, among other things.
Old 07-10-21, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I didn't even try last week...wanted to wait and see just what the State of Play Showcase was going to bring out and from all accounts; it was Ho-Hum nothing to brag about
To be fair, Sony did try to set expectations beforehand:

This showcase will not include updates on the next God of War, Horizon Forbidden West or the next generation of PlayStation VR. Stay tuned throughout the summer though, as weíll have more updates soon.
Old 07-10-21, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

The general feeling...or at least what I've seen on various forums is....Sony needs to kick it up a notch and not all is "Just Peachy & Rosy" in Playstationville....so far this year....

Probably one of their biggest letdowns and stupid actions with no logically reason....PlayStation Communities on PS4 Shutting Down in April.... PlayStation Communities on PS4 Shutting Down in April - IGN

Last week countless game Sites had stories with Indie Devs pretty frustrated and ticked at Sony.....Report: How PlayStation Is Failing Indie Developers..... Report: How PlayStation Is Failing Indie Developers - Push Square

Last weeks announcement of Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut didn't exactly sit well with everyone.... Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut PS5 Upgrade Price Upsets Fans.... Ghost of Tsushima PS5 Upgrade Price Upsets Fans (playstationlifestyle.net)

Pretty good article a few days ago on the XB game Pass and Playstation Future(?0...but they also mention XBox's plans to integrate XBox's into TV's which they're already working with manufacture's....
Xbox Game Pass is Having A Great Year, Should PlayStation Gamers Be Worried? (gamerant.com)

And finally, AMD releases this last week ago....AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution tech is now available for Xbox and PC game developers | Windows Central
Old 07-10-21, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,399 Likes on 1,026 Posts

A reminder for buying from Amazon, have it in your wishlist ahead of time, and when you hear of a restock, buy it through your wishlist. Thatís how we got our XSX.
Old 07-10-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,017 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
The general feeling...or at least what I've seen on various forums is....Sony needs to kick it up a notch and not all is "Just Peachy & Rosy" in Playstationville....so far this year....

Probably one of their biggest letdowns and stupid actions with no logically reason....PlayStation Communities on PS4 Shutting Down in April.... PlayStation Communities on PS4 Shutting Down in April - IGN

Last week countless game Sites had stories with Indie Devs pretty frustrated and ticked at Sony.....Report: How PlayStation Is Failing Indie Developers..... Report: How PlayStation Is Failing Indie Developers - Push Square

Last weeks announcement of Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut didn't exactly sit well with everyone.... Ghost of Tsushima Directorís Cut PS5 Upgrade Price Upsets Fans.... Ghost of Tsushima PS5 Upgrade Price Upsets Fans (playstationlifestyle.net)

Pretty good article a few days ago on the XB game Pass and Playstation Future(?0...but they also mention XBox's plans to integrate XBox's into TV's which they're already working with manufacture's....
Xbox Game Pass is Having A Great Year, Should PlayStation Gamers Be Worried? (gamerant.com)

And finally, AMD releases this last week ago....AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution tech is now available for Xbox and PC game developers | Windows Central
to be fair, Sony was first out of the gate with the resolution enhancements when Checkerboard Rendering launched on the PS4 Pro. It's been compared quite well against DLSS and presumably FidelityFX which is the AMD native of similar tech. And Sony was doing the TV set streaming services 6 years ago with PS Now, though they did scale it back to just PC again a year or so ago. (Xbox is talking about adding similar streaming service apps for xCloud, not putting actual Xbox hardware in TVs.)

xCloud sadly has the same issues with PS Now, hopefully those get cleaned up. I love the stuff MS is doing currently (sans the lack of games) but they're definitely playing catch up in this case.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-10-21 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-10-21, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,143 Likes on 4,179 Posts

People bitching about having to pay $10 for a PS5 upgrade for Ghost of Tsushima is stupid. The game looks amazing on the PS4 and is completely playable with enhancements on the PS5. It would have been nice to get a total overhaul on the PS5 for free (and several games like FF VII Remake did just that), but other games do charge more for their PS5 version and Tony Hawk charged $10 for a next Gen upgrade on both systems, so it's not unprecedented by any stretch. Totally inconsequential complaint.
The following users liked this post:
T-bone22 (07-10-21)
Old 07-10-21, 12:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I agree that $10 is not a bad price for an upgrade of a game that's about a year old. But it's $30 ($40 CAD!) if you're going from PS4 digital edition to PS5 "Director's Cut" edition for what amounts to bundling stuff that was already free, plus the new DLC, plus 'enhancements' like proper Japanese lip sync. It's not quite as egregious as the Control situation, IMO, because at least they're offering a proper upgrade path and not saying your only option is to rebuy the game, but it's still a bit of a headscratcher. I doubt the DLC + enhancements are truly worth $30 ($40 CAD!) total, but we'll see when reviews are out. I'm 99% sure I'm going to upgrade my copy because I have some cash left in my PS wallet anyway, but I think the concerns are legitimate, and I'm not one of those "lazy devs just trying to cash in" folks.
Old 07-10-21, 01:02 PM

There's no reason to think that if it's anything like Lost Legacy or inFamous First Light or Miles Morales that it wouldn't provide $20 worth of content. In fact show me any modern full game's expansion pack that retails for much less than $20. I mean maybe some sell for $15, but that price point is pretty reasonable by today's standards.
The nice thing is you can't even buy​​​​ the upgrade until it comes out so nobody is getting ripped off here - - you'll know exactly what you're getting by the time you make your upgrade purchase.
Old 07-10-21, 01:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

"If" it's anything like Lost Legacy or First Light or Miles Morales... but... is it? I hope so! If that's the case, it makes an easy decision even easier for me personally.

However you can pay the $20 ($26 CAD!) now to upgrade from PS4-to-PS4-DC. You just can't play the PS4-DC until it's released. But you're right that you can't buy the PS4-to-PS5-DC or PS4-DC-to-PS5-DC upgrades yet. The description of the PS4-DC upgrade outlines this... sorta... but honestly, I don't know why they didn't just make all the options available at the same time.
Old 07-10-21, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Iíve mentioned before, but for those still looking, I highly recommend checking target in their app on Thursday mornings. That when I finally got mine and it seems the Twitter trackers lag on announcing them compared to other retailers.

So, having played through Ratchet & Clank 3x, the Astro-Bot pack in and about half of the remastered Spider-Man, I feel like PS5 has a noticeable edge over Series X on graphics. I suppose it could be the games Iíve played, but those PS5 games have been prettier than any of the 8 or 9 games Iíve played on the X, though Resident Evil Village is close to being on the same level. Itís been a while since I played Spider-Man on PS4, but the remaster really feels like a big step forward in how good it looks.

Also, I canít speak highly enough of the haptic feedback. It wasnít even on my radar as a consideration, but Sonyís done something really cool with their controllers.
I very nearly got one at Target this week. Received a Twitter alert ~7am, but got stuck in a ďweíre limiting transactionsĒ message. I allowed me to try at another local store but that was gone too. Next closest was ~15-20 miles and I was t even going to try.

Iíll see if I can try the app next time instead with better luck!
Old 07-11-21, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,017 Likes on 808 Posts

After spending entirely too much time with Returnal, I can safely say my only complaints so far with the PS5 are 1) Slow down if you resume a game too many times (this is probably more on the game developer) and 2) Controller batteries die way too quickly.
Old 07-12-21, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 389 Likes on 292 Posts

I agree with the batteries thing. On Returnal it was dead after a 3-4 hour session.
Old 07-12-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 548 Likes on 401 Posts

I have one of those charger docks and it works great. I just set the controller on it when I'm done playing.
Old 07-12-21, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,479 Posts

The question is, how long will the batteries keep a charge?
Old 07-12-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Iím betting thereís a pretty wide range for battery life. I feel like I played NieR: Replicant for very long stretches without having to futz with charging, but that also doesnít have any haptics, speaker use, and all that. But something like Rift Apart, itís a guarantee need to charge after every play session.
Old 07-12-21, 01:05 PM

Yeah I've come right around on charging cradles. Thought they were pointless but I picked up this cheap third-party one at best buy. It works great. But you do need your own USB-C power block, which is kind of a shitty omission.
Old 07-12-21, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,479 Posts

What I meant though is how long before the batteries won't even charge up? That happened to all my PS4 controllers eventually, so I'm wary of doing stuff like keeping them plugged in...

Hopefully they minimize wear and tear on the battery at this point (my biggest fear was my switch needing a replacement)
Dan (07-12-21)
Old 07-12-21, 02:17 PM

Oooh, I don't know that. I only plugged im my DS4 when they were low. This keeping them in the charger is new to me.

That said, at least one of my two controllers is already semi-fucked thanks to R&C Rift Apart which had me franticly and often pressing the triangle button to pull up the weapon wheel. Now that button sticks and isn't clicky like the rest.
Old 07-12-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I have the official Sony Dock, and I leave the controllers on there all the time if I'm not using them. It only charges when the battery is not full.
Old 07-12-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

I really don't get how docks are that much more convenient. Is it a real hassle to plug a cord into the back of the controller vs putting it on a dock?
Old 07-12-21, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by T-bone22
I really don't get how docks are that much more convenient. Is it a real hassle to plug a cord into the back of the controller vs putting it on a dock?
This is what I have always said and why I never used one. But it is kind of convenient to keep them clean and together and fully charged. Probably the least-necessary accessory, but I figured for $16 (open box at Best Buy), it would be worth it. -- Then I discovered I still had to buy a charging block that was like another $10.
T-bone22 (07-12-21)
Old 07-12-21, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I want to keep my entertainment system nice without any wires hanging out of the front of anything. Also, I can trust my kids to drop it on the dock when they're done a lot more reliably than I can for them to plug it in.

Is it a necessity? Certainly not, but I like it.
Old 07-12-21, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Not sure about PS5, but the PS4 only charged while in sleep mode, and I think the USB ports were only active for an hour after sleeping (maybe configurable?) And the PS3 was never powered during sleep. So, if it wasn't charged and not in sleep w/ active ports, or you don't want to use sleep mode, its nice to have the station there.
Old 07-12-21, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,399 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I want to keep my entertainment system nice without any wires hanging out of the front of anything. Also, I can trust my kids to drop it on the dock when they're done a lot more reliably than I can for them to plug it in.

Is it a necessity? Certainly not, but I like it.
Yeah, my kid spent some of his own money on a charger for the controllers and he always remembers to put them on. Something about the action of putting it on a device sticks in the brain better. I kinda understand that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.