Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Decker
And Complaint has been filed :

Complaint Summary
Complaint Type: Consumer to Business Complaint
Nature of complaint: Product Issues
Problem description:
I bought a PlayStation 5 at launch. Since the day the system came out it has crashed when playing any of a number of PS5 games. The game will freeze then close and give the same error message CE-108255-1. Sony has a website where they suggest a number of different fixes, some which require wiping the hard drive. I have done all these. I have called Sony's help line at (800) 345-7669 numerous times. I am always told to wait for a patch to fix it. They refuse to repair or replace the system. I have waited over a month and still have the same issues. Three different games, Miles Morales, Watch Dogs Legions and Immortals Fenyx Rising all have the same crashing problem and are pretty much unplayable on the system. I called and asked that my case be escalated to a manager. When I spoke to her on 12/15/20 she told me "Rome, for example. wasn't built in a day" and that I just need to be patient. I have purchased a $500 consumer electronic product - DIRECTLY FROM SONY, and it won't play the games it was designed for. I can't take it back to the store and ask for a refund because I bought it directly from Sony. I am just stuck waiting for a fix that after over a month doesn't seem to be coming.
Desired Resolution: Exchange
Desired Outcome
I would like Sony to exchange my clearly malfunctioning Standard Edition PlayStation 5 with an identical unit that works without crashing.
I'm just stumped. The fact that you have a defective console that you spent a lot of money on and they are being extremely stubborn about getting you a replacement is ridiculous.

And they're just blaming it on a software patch issue? It's not like you're trying to cheat them. You have a $500 brick right now that can't even play the new games properly.

Do you think they're being stubborn because of low inventory?
Old 12-17-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm just stumped. The fact that you have a defective console that you spent a lot of money on and they are being extremely stubborn about getting you a replacement is ridiculous.

And they're just blaming it on a software patch issue? It's not like you're trying to cheat them. You have a $500 brick right now that can't even play the new games properly.

Do you think they're being stubborn because of low inventory?
Honestly no idea. I guess it's cheaper to push a patch than swap hundreds of consoles. But the patches aren't working for a lot of people and they know it. I was just so stunned at how obstructive they are being about an issue that is clearly their fault. That manager telling me that since I "admitted" that AC Valhalla works it's clearly not a hardware issue had me slack jawed. They really think they can bully their customers into submission, and honestly it seems like they sort of can. I suppose that I could sort of lie about the issue but I am sure my account is already "flagged" and I am afraid that they will send me back the same unit without fixing the problem.
Like I said the only way to get them to do anything is to publicly shame them with bad publicity.

General message to members here : Sorry if my PS5 issues are dominating the thread here. I hope I can get it fixed and have us discuss the gaming console and upcoming games and the like instead.
The following users liked this post:
dsa_shea (12-17-20)
Old 12-17-20, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Don't feel bad. We all want you to get resolution. Knowing how you did it may help someone else.
Old 12-18-20, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

That really sucks Decker! I hope you can get this resolved with Sony replacing your system.
Old 12-18-20, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I am tired of feeling like this guy

Have they offered to replace it with a slug yet?
Old 12-18-20, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I am tired of feeling like this guy

or this guy

Old 12-18-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just received my shipping notification! It should be coming in today. I have been refreshing the Purolator page all morning and I will continue to do so until I see that it has been delivered so I can go home and pick it up.
The following 5 users liked this post by LorenzoL:
Deftones (12-18-20), dsa_shea (12-18-20), lopper (12-18-20), Michael Corvin (12-18-20), uteotw (12-18-20)
Old 12-18-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

General message to members here : Sorry if my PS5 issues are dominating the thread here. I hope I can get it fixed and have us discuss the gaming console and upcoming games and the like instead.
Very sorry this is happening to you Decker. We are all in your corner! And, please keep giving us updates and don't worry about this dominating the thread. It is very informative and may help another member who is having the same issue.
Old 12-18-20, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gooter
Very sorry this is happening to you Decker. We are all in your corner! And, please keep giving us updates and don't worry about this dominating the thread. It is very informative and may help another member who is having the same issue.
Thank you. Checking Twitter, a search for 108255 shows that a lot of people seem to be dealing with this particular PS5 issue as well, and are also getting the total run-around.
Old 12-18-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Very sorry this is happening to you Decker. We are all in your corner! .
Speak for yourself. I hope he never gets a working system!!
Old 12-18-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Speak for yourself. I hope he never gets a working system!!

Old 12-18-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Hey guys, check out this totally legitimate survey/giveaway where I won a PS5!

uteotw (12-18-20)
Old 12-18-20, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow--Congrats!!!! Just enter your credit card information...
Old 12-18-20, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Imagine if they were to get just one dollar from a few thousand people. I had that happen at a local restaurant. Somehow their credit card system was compromised and many of the customers, including me, had very small charges of just cents on our bank cards. A small enough amount to hope we wouldn't notice. The funny things is that the day all of the charges were made was on a holiday where the restaurant was closed.
Old 12-19-20, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you. Checking Twitter, a search for 108255 shows that a lot of people seem to be dealing with this particular PS5 issue as well, and are also getting the total run-around.
I wonder if this means they actually know what is causing the problem and it can be fixed with a patch but don't want too push too many patches right away.
Old 12-19-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had to go and pick up my PS5 at the Purolator Depot this morning as the freaking driver yesterday, did one of those phantom drops in indicating that nobody was home and just dropped it at the Depot. Driver never made an attempt for delivery as somebody was home and nobody rang the bell.

Besides that unpleasant delivery experience, the PS5 is now fully hooked up and I’m very happy with the system. I don’t have a PS5 game yet but my PS4 games plays beautifully. I transferred my PS4 profile and games saves already. I also tested a few Blu-rays and even with the lack of some of the Audio choices, I’m happy as a player too. I’m loving the controller too even though I loved the PS4 one too.

I’m not too crazy about the UI as hiding the Power button is kind of dumb. Also the way the trophies are laid out find it less intuitive than on the PS4.

I was able to order the controller charger from Sony but it’s back ordered. I’m okay in waiting. I need to buy another controller and maybe I’ll purchase the media remote. I have been looking at that Pulse 3D headset but that’s another big purchase. My daughter is getting me the Miles Morales game and I’ll just play my PS4 games until the Lego Star Wars game until next year.

Old 12-19-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I wonder if this means they actually know what is causing the problem and it can be fixed with a patch but don't want too push too many patches right away.
I actually believe that they know it is not software related but dont want to replace systems yet while trying to set that first month sales record. If it were as easy as a patch and they knew it, the patch would already be out. If it were a software problem, it would be a problem on all working consoles, right?

On a different note, they need to start making moves on allowing us to expand our console storage.
Old 12-19-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I actually believe that they know it is not software related but dont want to replace systems yet while trying to set that first month sales record. If it were as easy as a patch and they knew it, the patch would already be out. If it were a software problem, it would be a problem on all working consoles, right?
No and no.
Old 12-19-20, 03:07 PM

No and no.
Care to expand on that? Why do some people with the identical firmware for the same console have constant crashes and most have none? Sony hasn't explained it yet, despite it being a 'known issue', they are 'still investigating the problem', so I am wondering how you can be so certain. I'm all ears.
Old 12-19-20, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He doesn't no. Get it? Just wants to be a contrarian without any evidence. Sure my take was simply an opinion. However, like I mentioned before, if it were simply a software issue then the problems would likely be more widespread across a majority of consoles. This does not seem to be the case. Even if there are a hundred thousand out there with this problem, this comes nowhere close to being much of a factor in the total number sold, which I'm going to guess is easily 5 million units sold.
Old 12-19-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Care to expand on that? Why do some people with the identical firmware for the same console have constant crashes and most have none? Sony hasn't explained it yet, despite it being a 'known issue', they are 'still investigating the problem', so I am wondering how you can be so certain. I'm all ears.
He said it can't be a software issue because then it would happen exactly the same to everyone which is not true in the slightest. Their have been bugs/issues that only happen to small percentages of gamers in tons of games over the years. He also said Sony doesn't want to admit it is a hardware problem so it doesn't affect their sales which is conspiracy nonsense. If they knew just swapping a system would fix the issues they would do it. They do not want that bad publicity.
Old 12-19-20, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they are willing to allow a small percentage of players to stew to keep the sales flowing. What bad publicity has come from it either way? Yes, there are some YouTube videos talking about bunk systems but what else? Once Sony admits that there are some hardware issues out there then some buyers might pull back. A public acknowledgement would be just that. Why do you think Nintendo quietly fixed or replaced Joycons instead of just going public and announcing that a problem existed. My guess is that there is a hardware issue on some of the motherboards causing certain games not to function properly and booting the player back to the console menu. Of course I might be wrong and I can admit that if a magical patch comes out and these systems start working as they should be
Old 12-19-20, 06:22 PM

He said it can't be a software issue because then it would happen exactly the same to everyone which is not true in the slightest. Their have been bugs/issues that only happen to small percentages of gamers in tons of games over the years. He also said Sony doesn't want to admit it is a hardware problem so it doesn't affect their sales which is conspiracy nonsense. If they knew just swapping a system would fix the issues they would do it. They do not want that bad publicity.
Now that is nonsense. They know they could swap out my console and it would take care of the problem. They don’t want to do that. They clearly have no concern about getting any bad publicity as their treatment to me and the others with this problem have been totally stonewalled. I wonder if you would feel the same way if you were the one with a faulty console and getting the run-around.
I would like you to provide me with another single example of a single error message that occurs across several different games on one console for a few people, and where that wasn’t due to a hardware issue.

I have discovered that I can play Miles Morales if I do what the last CD rep suggested and change from Fidelity to Performance mode (disabling Ray Tracing and getting 60 FPS). The fact that my system can run games but can’t perform next gen effects seems like it’s probably a hardware issue here. Am I supposed to turn off my graphics settings and suck it up and just hope it gets patched? Because that is what Sony is telling me.
Deftones (12-19-20)
Old 12-19-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that is nonsense. They know they could swap out my console and it would take care of the problem. They don’t want to do that. They clearly have no concern about getting any bad publicity as their treatment to me and the others with this problem have been totally stonewalled. I wonder if you would feel the same way if you were the one with a faulty console and getting the run-around.
Jeff Gertsmann at Giant Bomb was having issues with his PS5 pre-release so they swapped his out and his new one had the same issues. They don't know swapping it out would take care of the problem. I would be just as frustrated as you are if I was the one with the faulty console and I honestly shouldn't even have responded because anything other then "Yes Decker Sony is intentionally fucking you over" was going to be not what you wanted to hear.
Old 12-19-20, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts

They don't know swapping it out would take care of the problem.
They don’t know that everything would be fine after a swap; there seem to be enough problematic consoles out there that it’s entirely possible to get two duds in a row. But I think we can also safely say that most PS5s aren’t experiencing these problems, so chances are that everything would be fine afterwards.

I can’t pretend to be a hardware engineer or anything, but I’ve read things about how Sony, Microsoft, etc. build in redundancies so that if a certain number of CUs in the hardware fail that it’s still a viable unit. Maybe the issue is that some of these consoles are more on the edge than Sony accounted for, and this is something they think they can work around in software...? I can’t really think of another explanation about how one console with the same hardware running the same software would be problematic while an identical PS5 would work like a champ.
The following 3 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
Dan (12-19-20), Decker (12-19-20), Deftones (12-19-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.