Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Old 11-13-23, 09:09 AM
  #5151  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 77,849
Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Bleacher Report reviews both the Portal and the wireless earbuds, the Pulse Explore, and really liked them both.
Old 11-13-23, 09:15 AM
  #5152  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,944
Received 1,068 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

No chance I'm buying another pair of headphones just for this thing. I assume it has a headphone jack, which is good enough.
Old 11-13-23, 09:17 AM
  #5153  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 77,849
Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Yes it does. It just doesn't have Bluetooth, which is really odd.
Old 11-13-23, 09:21 AM
  #5154  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Decker
Yes it does. It just doesn't have Bluetooth, which is really odd.
They said it would interfere with the connection or something. But phones have the same connect functionality and have bluetooth so...
Old 11-13-23, 09:25 AM
  #5155  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,199
Received 1,250 Likes on 887 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Portal v2 will have Bluetooth, no doubt.


The Verge is not as impressed as others.

It doesnít do any kind of cloud streaming like Nvidiaís Geforce Now or Sonyís own PlayStation Plus Premium subscription, and it canít run anything locally (not even YouTube or Netflix). The Portal is purpose-built to use a singular feature Sony first debuted with the PS3 and PSP back in 2006 thatís also widely available on other devices you may already own, making me wonder: why does this exist? After spending a couple of days with it, Iím still not sure.

Last edited by Dan; 11-13-23 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-13-23, 10:24 AM
  #5156  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 77,849
Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

That doesn't say anything that we didn't know going in. It's a PS5 wifi extending device, not a stand-alone gaming system. We all know that. Kind of a useless review in that regard. I just want to know how it works and how it feels (which seem to be fine), not questioning why does it exist. Yes every review should and does mention that, but since that was all known going in, it shouldn't really be the main focus of the review, IMO.
Old 11-13-23, 10:40 AM
  #5157  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 77,849
Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

And FWIW, I currently have a $100 Backbone and it doesn't work well at all for the same purpose as the Portal, so there are people who know what a Portal is and what one isn't and are still interested in getting one that works well as designed.
Old 11-13-23, 10:44 AM
  #5158  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,199
Received 1,250 Likes on 887 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

The review does mention all of those things too. Their point is that itís Ďfineí at what it does but thatís not enough to justify the $200 cost.
I donít know how thatís Ďa useless reviewí except that they said negative things you donít like.

Theres more than enough review-as-PR content out there for those that want it.
Old 11-13-23, 10:55 AM
  #5159  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,977
Received 856 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

PlayStation's Black Friday Deals start November 17th and runs through November 27th. https://blog.playstation.com/2023/11...ay-deals-2023/
Old 11-13-23, 11:23 AM
  #5160  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 77,849
Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Dan
The review does mention all of those things too. Their point is that itís Ďfineí at what it does but thatís not enough to justify the $200 cost.
I donít know how thatís Ďa useless reviewí except that they said negative things you donít like.

Theres more than enough review-as-PR content out there for those that want it.
I probably didn't articulate my issues with the story well enough. I don't actually disagree with anything they said, it's just how they present their review -- which is to basically question why does this exist, which could easily have been done (and probably was) when it was announced. It would be like if the first review for the Apple Watch was basically "You have an iPhone, you have a watch already. Why would you need this?" -- on one level, sure it's an unneeded luxury item, but on the other hand, let me know how and if it works and let me decide if I want to buy it.
I think it would be unrealistic to expect a PS Portal to be a portable PS5 for $199. Sure you want to tell people its MANY limitations. But what people who are reading the review want to know is how does it perform and how does it compare to other devices that work similarly like the Backbone or the Logitech G Cloud.
Old 11-13-23, 11:37 AM
  #5161  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Decker
I probably didn't articulate my issues with the story well enough. I don't actually disagree with anything they said, it's just how they present their review -- which is to basically question why does this exist, which could easily have been done (and probably was) when it was announced. It would be like if the first review for the Apple Watch was basically "You have an iPhone, you have a watch already. Why would you need this?" -- on one level, sure it's an unneeded luxury item, but on the other hand, let me know how and if it works and let me decide if I want to buy it.
I think it would be unrealistic to expect a PS Portal to be a portable PS5 for $199. Sure you want to tell people its MANY limitations. But what people who are reading the review want to know is how does it perform and how does it compare to other devices that work similarly like the Backbone or the Logitech G Cloud.
The Backbone is that phone attachment, right? In the reviews I've seen, they said the streaming is basically the same (maybe a tiny bit worse) as the streaming to a phone, so depending on what your issues with the backbone are (is it the controls, the screen, or the streaming) this might not be the answer.

Also that review does touch on this:
I’ve initially played a handful of hours with various PS5 games (Resident Evil 4, Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon, and Astro’s Playroom, to name a few) in my limited time with the PlayStation Portal so far. One thing I can certainly say right off the bat is that it feels familiar. At various points in the last two years, I’ve tinkered with using Remote Play to stream games from my PlayStation 5 to my PS4, my PC, various Android devices, an iPhone, an iPad Pro, and even a Steam Deck using open-source software Chiaki. The PlayStation Portal offers mostly the same experience as what I’ve seen with those other solutions, except being purpose-built streamlines the process.
and:
I need to continue using the PlayStation Portal to see if more differences appear between using it and something like a Backbone One controller. My first impression is that this device is primarily for PlayStation diehards who want a simple, dedicated tool for streaming games around their homes.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (11-13-23)
Old 11-13-23, 11:51 AM
  #5162  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,199
Received 1,250 Likes on 887 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Decker
I probably didn't articulate my issues with the story well enough. I don't actually disagree with anything they said, it's just how they present their review -- which is to basically question why does this exist, which could easily have been done (and probably was) when it was announced. It would be like if the first review for the Apple Watch was basically "You have an iPhone, you have a watch already. Why would you need this?" -- on one level, sure it's an unneeded luxury item, but on the other hand, let me know how and if it works and let me decide if I want to buy it.
Many reviews of the first Apple Watch were focused on the performance of the device and, in addition to that, the ďwhy does it exist and why do you need it?Ē question. Itís weird to me to suggest that the latter is useless, particularly when talking about a device that isnít cheap enough to be an impulse buy (for most people anyway)

I think it would be unrealistic to expect a PS Portal to be a portable PS5 for $199.
I donít think anyone, including The Verge, suggested they thought it should be.
However it is a bit disappointing that it canít even stream games via PS Plus Premium on its own, at least not in its current software iteration. It doesnít take PS5 hardware to do that at all.

Sure you want to tell people its MANY limitations. But what people who are reading the review want to know is how does it perform and how does it compare to other devices that work similarly like the Backbone or the Logitech G Cloud.
The review addresses that though. They say itís the most streamlined solution, but that in itself isnít necessarily enough and when it fails, it fails as bad as anything else.

Personally I think the device looks fine but I would have wanted the screen to be like half an inch higher up or slightly adjustable, but adding moving parts never would have passed. I havenít held one in my hands though.
Old 11-13-23, 11:59 AM
  #5163  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Here's a more in depth comparison (but still not fully in depth, I think Digital Foundry will release their review soon):
Old 11-13-23, 11:59 AM
  #5164  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 77,849
Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Here's how the IGN review starts. It also addresses all the limitations and the fact that other, cheaper devices can do many of the same things, but it also, up front, explains why the Portal is better at doing them :
I did not think for a second I was going to be impressed by the PlayStation Portal, Sony's small-screen Remote Play solution for the PS5. With Remote Play already working great on tablets and phones, and controller solutions like the Backbone designed specifically for playing console games remotely, the Portal seemed like a solution to a problem no one had. Why spend $200 on a single-purpose device when there are much cheaper solutions already available? And yet, after spending time with the PlayStation Portal, I gotta sayÖ this thing rules. That's not to say I wouldnít change anything about it. In fact, it has some missing features that make me scratch my head, but my initial skepticism has been replaced by enthusiasm.

First off, when it comes to the "just use your phone" argument against the Portal, that disintegrates once you see the screen. It's not OLED, which is a bummer, but it's an extremely high-quality 8" LCD screen. That's much bigger than my iPhone 13 Pro Max, and it really looks fantastic. Colors are extremely vivid and absolutely pop. There's no smearing or ghosting whatsoever, and when things are in motion they look exactly like you'd expect them to look. The viewing angle, too, is quite nice: you can freely tilt it in whatever way is most comfortable while you're using it without losing color or detail. Everything just looks crisp and alive on the screen, and I really do prefer it over using Remote Play on my phone.


On the opposite extreme, if you use Remote Play on a full-sized tablet, you get a bigger screen. That might be the best way to strike the perfect balance between portability and screen real-estate, but you still have to supply a controller, which, given the fact you clearly own a PS5, is not that big of a deal. However, the advantage of the Portal over a tablet is you get the good sized screen with the controller built right in into an all-in-one solution, so you can hold onto the Portal and play your games in any position you like. Playing on a tablet with a controller means you need to place it on a surface, probably with a stand, which makes it kind of hard to play if you're, say, sitting on the bus or even your couch.

Because it's effectively a DualSense with the middle stretched and turned into a screen, the Portal is instantly familiar to feel and use. It even has the DualSense features like vibration and resistive triggers. The only feature it's missing is the touch pad, but a quick tap of the screen brings up a virtual replacement. I had to figure this out myself, because there's no mention of it anywhere in the sparse manual that comes with the Portal, but the functionality of every part of the traditional DualSense controller is right there literally at your fingertips.
Old 11-13-23, 12:09 PM
  #5165  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

That "sitting on a bus" complaint seems odd unless bus wifi has like significantly improved or something.
Old 11-13-23, 12:15 PM
  #5166  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 77,849
Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by fujishig
That "sitting on a bus" complaint seems odd unless bus wifi has like significantly improved or something.
I think he just came up with an example of a place it would be hard to use a tablet, but yes, your point is a good one. You can't use a Portal on a bus either.
Old 11-13-23, 12:31 PM
  #5167  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,466
Received 1,066 Likes on 845 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

As is par for the course with Sony handhelds, it looks to be a well made device crippled by their own decisions to keep it locked down. Alas, it will be an interesting device once it's hacked.

Old 11-13-23, 12:34 PM
  #5168  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 77,849
Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by RichC2
As is par for the course with Sony handhelds, it looks to be a well made device crippled by their own decisions to keep it locked down. Alas, it will be an interesting device once it's hacked.
I'm hoping that with an update they will at least enable cloud streaming gaming off your console. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to do that, is there?
Old 11-13-23, 12:55 PM
  #5169  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm hoping that with an update they will at least enable cloud streaming gaming off your console. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to do that, is there?
I mean the PS5 will have to stream a game to it and then stream it out to your device so maybe bandwidth? Do the other solutions allow that?
Old 11-13-23, 12:56 PM
  #5170  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,944
Received 1,068 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

I don't see this as a device that will get hacked for more/better functionality. Part of the reason it's cheap is because its internals are only powerful enough to accept the wifi signal and output it. I doubt it has any internal memory to allow loading another OS for emulation.
Old 11-13-23, 01:00 PM
  #5171  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,466
Received 1,066 Likes on 845 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean the PS5 will have to stream a game to it and then stream it out to your device so maybe bandwidth? Do the other solutions allow that?
​​​​​​​They need to just allow it directly on mobile devices or at least the Portal.

Microsoft has been doing that with Game Pass Cloud Gaming for a while now and it works pretty well (works in most any web browser and even does emulated touch controls for certain titles when played on a mobile device.)
Old 11-13-23, 01:00 PM
  #5172  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 77,849
Received 6,651 Likes on 4,542 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean the PS5 will have to stream a game to it and then stream it out to your device so maybe bandwidth? Do the other solutions allow that?
As of now, no. The PS Portal works in the same manner as other Remote Play solutions and all streaming (including Netflix and You Tube) are currently disabled in Remote Play. But I don't see why it HAS to be that way, besides maybe excessive lag?
Old 11-13-23, 01:02 PM
  #5173  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by RichC2
​​​​​​​They need to just allow it directly on mobile devices or at least the Portal.

Microsoft has been doing that with Game Pass Cloud Gaming for a while now and it works pretty well (works in most any web browser and even does emulated touch controls for certain titles when played on a mobile device.)
The problem with that (from their perspective) is they want you to need a PS5. And yeah it's probably bandwidth/latency to disallow streaming.

And they can't even do something dumb like "prove to us you have a PS5 and we'll let you stream to other devices" because then the cats out of the bag.
Old 11-13-23, 01:05 PM
  #5174  
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 50,047
Received 1,012 Likes on 846 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Is there anyway to reconfigure the games that show on the top of the home page? like can you remove some games that you aren't currently playing that shows because they were updated or downloaded, etc. and just keep the games you are currently playing?
Old 11-13-23, 01:06 PM
  #5175  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,466
Received 1,066 Likes on 845 Posts
Re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by fujishig
The problem with that (from their perspective) is they want you to need a PS5. And yeah it's probably bandwidth/latency to disallow streaming.

And they can't even do something dumb like "prove to us you have a PS5 and we'll let you stream to other devices" because then the cats out of the bag.
Good point, but it still seems like it should be an included perk for people paying for that option.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.