Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Old 07-18-20, 02:08 PM

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,028 Posts
re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Wait, it will play 4K UHD movies on a 4K HDTV but the games won't be in 4K? Huh, I figured that was where all of this was leading.
Old 07-18-20, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 654 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Wait, it will play 4K UHD movies on a 4K HDTV but the games won't be in 4K? Huh, I figured that was where all of this was leading.
No, they are saying the digital only console’s downside is that it cannot play 4K discs, which is important to some particularly on this forum due to 4K (or any really) movie discs.
Old 07-18-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I also don't want an 80 plus gb drain on my monthly bandwidth to download these games. There are pluses and minuses to both. I would also like to have a second 4k player in my house, since they dropped the ball with the Pro.
Old 07-18-20, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 887 Likes on 627 Posts

Digital only means you are dependent on a single company offering up sales. Disc based means you have dozens of retailers with potential sales and B2G1 discount opportunities not to mention used if you're still into that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
Deftones (07-18-20), story (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,870 Likes on 4,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Digital only means you are dependent on a single company offering up sales. Disc based means you have dozens of retailers with potential sales and B2G1 discount opportunities not to mention used if you're still into that.
It also means that all the PS4 games that you currently have on disc would be useless going forward unless you keep a PS4 hooked up as well.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It also means that all the PS4 games that you currently have on disc would be useless going forward unless you keep a PS4 hooked up as well.
Wait, PS4 digital won't work on a PS5? Oh you mean discs if you don't have the drive. That's true.

The sales thing is a good point. Right now, PSN sales are incredible, but if they ever get people to go all digital and then pull a Nintendo with sales, that will screw a lot of people.
story (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 05:27 PM

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Yeah, the way the Wii store purchases ended up was pretty garbage.
Old 08-03-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

PlayStation 5: Answering your questions on compatible PS4 peripherals & accessories.

If you have questions that aren’t addressed, feel free to leave them in the comments below.

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
  • Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.
Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles.

Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?

No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

Is the PlayStation Camera for PS4 compatible with PS5?

Yes, PlayStation Camera will work with PS5 for playing supported PS VR games. It will require a PlayStation Camera adaptor that will be provided at no additional cost to PS VR users. More details on how to get the adaptor will be announced at a later date.

And that’s it! We’ll continue to provide updates on PlayStation 5 down the road, so make sure to check back soon.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08...s-accessories/

So, PS4 Controllers will work with supported PS4 games, but not PS5 games. Interesting.
Old 08-03-20, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 364 Likes on 294 Posts

It doesn't feel like Sony is going to give PS5 VR an update. Which is a bummer.
Old 08-03-20, 12:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts

So basically, even if a game doesn't take advantage of the newest DualSense features, if it's a PS5 game, then the PS4 controllers just won't work?

That makes sense for big AAA games or smaller games that rely on the new features of that controller... but I would expect that many, if not most, games would not bother with the new controller features (especially if they're cross-platform games, for example, where they're targeting functionality across Playstation, Xbox, and, assuming, whatever the next-gen Switch equivalent is.)
That said, it seems like it'll mostly be a non-issue anyway... how many people will really be using their PS4 controller with their PS5 anyway? I'd use mine as a backup, at best, if ever. Just seems really weird that they'd set an arbitrary limitation that's based on whether it's a PS4 or PS5 game instead of the actual features of the game.
Old 08-03-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
So basically, even if a game doesn't take advantage of the newest DualSense features, if it's a PS5 game, then the PS4 controllers just won't work?

That makes sense for big AAA games or smaller games that rely on the new features of that controller... but I would expect that many, if not most, games would not bother with the new controller features (especially if they're cross-platform games, for example, where they're targeting functionality across Playstation, Xbox, and, assuming, whatever the next-gen Switch equivalent is.)
That said, it seems like it'll mostly be a non-issue anyway... how many people will really be using their PS4 controller with their PS5 anyway? I'd use mine as a backup, at best, if ever. Just seems really weird that they'd set an arbitrary limitation that's based on whether it's a PS4 or PS5 game instead of the actual features of the game.
Probably easier to mandate it for all PS5 games instead of detecting which ones use new functionality. Also $$$. Not like dualshock controllers last all that long anyway under moderate use.
Old 08-03-20, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I wonder if Sony does have a VR update coming in a year or two? I would bet they do but don't want to overwhelm the consumers with a new expensive console and likely as close to just as expensive new VR set. I think they want to focus on the sales of the consoles and get a good base in as many households for the first year or so. Then we will likely hear rumblings of a new VR after that. Just my guess.
Old 08-03-20, 12:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Probably easier to mandate it for all PS5 games instead of detecting which ones use new functionality. Also $$$. Not like dualshock controllers last all that long anyway under moderate use.
​​​​​​​^ ha! true! Speaking of which, I've just had terrible luck with DualShock 4 controllers. On my original PS4, the DS4 battery was always terrible. When I got the PS4Pro, the battery was better, a bit, but my backup controller wasn't as great. However, both died suddenly about a year and a half ago. They wouldn't power up at all, whether plugged in or not. I even opened them up and bought replacement USB boards for them, and no dice. Had to throw those controllers away and buy a replacement. That one, after about a year, suddenly doesn't hold a charge at all. It HAS to be plugged in to turn on, and the second I unplug it, it's dead. I'm thinking it could be due to dirty power in my house, but I don't know. Nothing else has had problems with charging... only PS4 controllers.
Old 08-04-20, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 116 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm not really surprised the next State of Play event starting tomorrow will focus on PS4, VR and PS5/PS4 games....right now Sony is on a roll & tear with just the PS4 so why bail on it right now. Two of the Hottest Games out there; Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima is propelling Sony's earnings and popularity. Throw in The Store Deals which have been pretty good....Sony is in a great position...PS4 is seriously kicking butt and the PS5 has major interest.....

I've talked to several I game with and all said they plan on getting the PS5...BUT.....if they don't get one at launch no big deal and won't cry a river because we all don't see anything wrong with the PS4 and current catalog of games out there which we all have plenty to play and want to get......and four of us are playing Ghost of Tsushima and that game has us in awe....

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...ch_new_heights
Old 08-04-20, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But people digging the PS4 isn't a good thing for Sony... they want to sell PS5s so they need a reason for the customer to put their $500 out there. New AAA titles in the last few months is great, but it's not really helping Sony's bottom line. I doubt many PS4s were sold so somebody could play those games.
Old 08-04-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
But people digging the PS4 isn't a good thing for Sony... they want to sell PS5s so they need a reason for the customer to put their $500 out there. New AAA titles in the last few months is great, but it's not really helping Sony's bottom line. I doubt many PS4s were sold so somebody could play those games.
Do they make money on the hardware, though? At least initially, they are losing money. Especially if supply for PS5 is constrained, software sales of any kind on PS4 will absolutely help, unless I'm misunderstanding something? Even 3rd party software sales help, so first party stuff is definitely padding their bottom line. The only way this really hurts them is if the PS5 demand is so low that it doesn't instantly sell out, which I don't think is likely.
Old 08-04-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 169 Posts

I want info on PS5, I don't need to hear about PS4 anymore.
Sonny Corinthos (08-05-20)
Old 08-04-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 116 Likes on 104 Posts

I think they know full well that the demand will exceed supply for at least the first 4-6 months....They did announce they were increasing production with somewhere around 9-10 million units...but that number is thru March 2021. They also know as of now there's like 112 Million PS4's out there and a lot of people are going to keep playing it for awhile. Not everyone will have $500-$700 right away when you factor in games for the PS5...especially now with this worldwide virus hitting the economy. So for them to keep the PS4 in play is smart while assuring owners they are not being forgotten.
Old 08-05-20, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Do they make money on the hardware, though? At least initially, they are losing money. Especially if supply for PS5 is constrained, software sales of any kind on PS4 will absolutely help, unless I'm misunderstanding something? Even 3rd party software sales help, so first party stuff is definitely padding their bottom line. The only way this really hurts them is if the PS5 demand is so low that it doesn't instantly sell out, which I don't think is likely.
Allegedly, they make $18 per PS4 sold right now; clearly it's easier to get royalties off of games sold but I wouldn't expect games to sell systems at this point in the life cycle.
Old 08-05-20, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Allegedly, they make $18 per PS4 sold right now; clearly it's easier to get royalties off of games sold but I wouldn't expect games to sell systems at this point in the life cycle.
My point is that the AAA titles, even for last gen, are what's helping the bottom line right now.
Old 08-05-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Seven years in? That doesn't sound right. Maybe on the Pro? IIRC, this gen was so underpowered because both MS & Sony wanted to make a profit on day one on hardware and not take a loss on every one sold like previous gens.

I was looking at PS4's the other day hoping to get a couple as gifts and was shocked that they're still so expensive. We're at end of life nearing next gen. We should be in the $250 range at this point.
Old 08-05-20, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts

Two Christmas's ago Best Buy had the regular PS4 with Spider-Man for $200 and I was so close to buying it. Wanted to surprise the family but wasn't sure how mad my wife would get. She said later that she would have been okay for something like that.

We later found a used Pro for my son's birthday for a good price.
Old 08-05-20, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seven years in? That doesn't sound right. Maybe on the Pro? IIRC, this gen was so underpowered because both MS & Sony wanted to make a profit on day one on hardware and not take a loss on every one sold like previous gens.

I was looking at PS4's the other day hoping to get a couple as gifts and was shocked that they're still so expensive. We're at end of life nearing next gen. We should be in the $250 range at this point.
It still sells, though, and the next gen isn't out. There's no motivation for them to decrease the price, at least not until the holiday season. And sometime there is no price decrease, they just stop production (like I don't think the WiiU or the Wii got a massive price drop when their replacements came).
Old 08-05-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Wii did via dumbed down releases without HDMI and gamecube support and all that stuff. The WiiU tanked so it was never going to get a price drop.

Seems like now(or earlier this year) would have been a better time for a price reduction than this coming Winter where they will be competing against themselves with the PS5.
Old 08-05-20, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Wii did via dumbed down releases without HDMI and gamecube support and all that stuff. The WiiU tanked so it was never going to get a price drop.

Seems like now(or earlier this year) would have been a better time for a price reduction than this coming Winter where they will be competing against themselves with the PS5.
But either plays PS4 games. So if someone purchases a PS5 instead of a PS4, does Sony lose out somehow?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.