Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
re: PlayStation 5 - 11/12/20

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I don't think so.....as of last count there's been roughly 108 Million PS4's sold....roughly 550,000 were sold the first 5 weeks after launch. Yes, they're planning on 9-10 Million ready but still, that's 1/10th of the PS4 owners out there. I wouldn't be surprised the demand will be close to 15-20 million. It'll be interesting to watch how fast Pre-Orders sell out....then watch and wait when they pop back up, sell out again...and wait and see when and how many. I'd like to see the actual numbers on Pre-Orders through out all this up to release day.
Preorders are going to sell out for sure. You have the scalpers, you have Xmas, and in general the (stupid, to me) thinking that a console launch is some kind of failure if it's readily available.
Old 07-16-20, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Preorders are going to sell out for sure. You have the scalpers, you have Xmas, and in general the (stupid, to me) thinking that a console launch is some kind of failure if it's readily available.

I'll bet the pre-orders all sell out within 1-2 hours.....the question I'd like to know....How many pre-orders are they going to have out this first round. Is it going to be on the safe side and say 2-3 million to see what happens and then slowly allow say another million next round....wait a couple of weeks and allow another. in any case, I still say from now all the way up to November any and every available pre-order will sell out. What I would be concerned about....if they sell Too Many PO's with not enough consoles to cover. Plus everyone knows all the 'Family & Friends Being taken Care Of 1st" backroom deals that goes on at Best Buy to Gamestop to Target to Walmart to Amazon and other places. I remember seeing PS4 Sales on EBay day one with people posting their PO Confirmation as evidence.
Old 07-16-20, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I remember getting a PS4 at launch without a pre-order. But that was being lined up at midnight.
Old 07-16-20, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Just saw this article over at Pushsquare on Sony increasing the Production.....https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...emand_than_ps4

.....one glaring sentence caught my eye....

"Sony appears to have real confidence in the PlayStation 5, as it's increase of production on the next-gen platform. Previously, the Japanese Giant said it had planned to ship between 5-6 million units by the end of March 2021; it now expects that number to be somewhere in the region of 10 million during the same time period. This is significantly more than the 7.5 Million Unitsthat the PlayStation 4 managed during its first two quarters on the market."

Well...how many then come around November and Black Friday...how many in time for Christmas....Or, is it even going to be ready by then?
Old 07-16-20, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Could this lead to us finally getting a chance to pre-order the dang thing? My patients is wearing thin.
Old 07-16-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I still want them to release an offset analog version separately. Include the standard PS layout because...reasons, but let the people vote with their wallets. I think Sony's scared to admit that people would prefer it like the Xbox and Nintendo pads.

Just saw this article over at Pushsquare on Sony increasing the Production.....https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...emand_than_ps4

"Sony appears to have real confidence in the PlayStation 5, as it's increase of production on the next-gen platform. Previously, the Japanese Giant said it had planned to ship between 5-6 million units by the end of March 2021; it now expects that number to be somewhere in the region of 10 million during the same time period. This is significantly more than the 7.5 Million Unitsthat the PlayStation 4 managed during its first two quarters on the market."

Well...how many then come around November and Black Friday...how many in time for Christmas....Or, is it even going to be ready by then?
Yeah, and remember when the Wii was 2 Gamecube's duct taped together and Nintendo was gonna have 10-20 million the first few months? Yeah, never happened. Instead there were shortages. In a world where assembly lines were shut down for months due to Covid, I find the 10m figure to be hard to believe.
Old 07-16-20, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
https://twitter.com/summergamefest/s...43952332795904

Could this lead to us finally getting a chance to pre-order the dang thing? My patients is wearing thin.
I kind of doubt it, sounds like a look at the controller. You'd think they would advertise an announcement (and host it themselves).
Old 07-16-20, 05:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My patients is wearing thin.
Maybe suggest that they change their diet, or alter medications?
The following 2 users liked this post by Groucho:
majorjoe23 (07-16-20), Sonny Corinthos (07-17-20)
Old 07-16-20, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Never try correcting a Doctor.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Black Friday? Surely you kid. There won't be a Black Friday this year. Cyber Monday for sure, though.
Old 07-17-20, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Maybe suggest that they change their diet, or alter medications?
I screwed up on that one even after I looked it up to make sure it was spelled correctly. I blame it on autocorrect. lol
Old 07-17-20, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PS5 Preorders Won't Be a Surprise, Sony Says.

Earlier this week, rumors began to swirl that the PlayStation 5 would go up for preorder, much to the surprise of, well, everyone, including Sony. In the wake of those rumors, PlayStation has promised that PS5 preorders won't catch players by surprise.Speaking to Geoff Keighley after a brief showcase of the PS5's DualSense controller, Worldwide Head of Marketing Eric Lempel said "I think it's safe to say...we'll let you know when preorder will happen.

It's not going to happen with a minute's notice. We're going to at some point let you know when you can preorder PlayStation 5. So, please, don't feel like you have to go run out and line up anywhere until you receive official notice on how that will work."

Rumors kicked into overdrive on Monday, with many speculating that the PS5 would go up for preorder, in part because the PS5 Amazon page of information was added. And while website updates like that only fanned the flames of speculation, the system never ended up being available for preorder. And that fervent expectation even surprised Sony.

"We don't know what happened there, we had nothing to do with it. I got a message from someone saying 'People are lining up at stores' and we had no idea why," Lempel said.

So while players can't still buy a PS5, it's safe to say Sony is aware of the demand and will give players some warning ahead of when it is available to preorder.

https://www.ign.com/videos/playstati...-on-livestream

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-pre...rise-sony-says

This makes me feel a lot better.
Old 07-17-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PS5 Preorders Won't Be a Surprise, Sony Says.

Earlier this week, rumors began to swirl that the PlayStation 5 would go up for preorder, much to the surprise of, well, everyone, including Sony. In the wake of those rumors, PlayStation has promised that PS5 preorders won't catch players by surprise.Speaking to Geoff Keighley after a brief showcase of the PS5's DualSense controller, Worldwide Head of Marketing Eric Lempel said "I think it's safe to say...we'll let you know when preorder will happen.

It's not going to happen with a minute's notice. We're going to at some point let you know when you can preorder PlayStation 5. So, please, don't feel like you have to go run out and line up anywhere until you receive official notice on how that will work."

Rumors kicked into overdrive on Monday, with many speculating that the PS5 would go up for preorder, in part because the PS5 Amazon page of information was added. And while website updates like that only fanned the flames of speculation, the system never ended up being available for preorder. And that fervent expectation even surprised Sony.

"We don't know what happened there, we had nothing to do with it. I got a message from someone saying 'People are lining up at stores' and we had no idea why," Lempel said.

So while players can't still buy a PS5, it's safe to say Sony is aware of the demand and will give players some warning ahead of when it is available to preorder.

https://www.ign.com/videos/playstati...-on-livestream

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-pre...rise-sony-says

This makes me feel a lot better.
So there will be ample time for scalper bots to get their scripts ready?
Old 07-17-20, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

So there will be ample time for scalper bots to get their scripts ready?
Exactly...
Old 07-17-20, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

This is literally the way preorders for new systems always works. Once they announce pricing and release dates then they say when you can preorder.

Old 07-17-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
This is literally the way preorders for new systems always works. Once they announce pricing and release dates then they say when you can preorder.
I thought sometimes they allow preorders like right after the announcement. I expect there to be waves like usual, though. Just that now, as we've seen with the Switch shortages, there are a ton of bots out there that are going to hit these pages mercilessly.
Old 07-17-20, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I am pretty sure I preordered elthe PS4 right after their E3 announcement where they confirmed that you could just loan a game disc to a friend. Fairly certain it wasn't later than that.
Old 07-17-20, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

PS5 controller demo. Looks very very cool

Old 07-17-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought sometimes they allow preorders like right after the announcement. I expect there to be waves like usual, though. Just that now, as we've seen with the Switch shortages, there are a ton of bots out there that are going to hit these pages mercilessly.
That's what I meant. They aren't going to do preorders until they have an announcement with price and release dates. Preorders aren't just going to show up on Amazon out of nowhere like people were saying.
Old 07-17-20, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm not sure there was much of a pre-order window for the PS4. I remember the E3 presentation and them announcing date and price and almost directly following the presentation I pre-ordered.
Old 07-17-20, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm not sure there was much of a pre-order window for the PS4. I remember the E3 presentation and them announcing date and price and almost directly following the presentation I pre-ordered.
Yep that's we already said.
Old 07-17-20, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

You'll forgive a stupid question, I never frequent this forum:

What the hell is a "digital" version of the PS5? Some kind of lame internet-only service?

Not having the physical, hardware-based version of the console doesn't even make sense.
Old 07-18-20, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Digital means that there is no disc drive and all of the games will have to be downloaded. Not something I am personally interested in.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Just two years ago I would have never wanted a digital only console, but after we bought our Xbox One S, we bought a couple games on disc but then we discovered Gamepass and Games with Gold and we have tons of digital only games via those methods.

You can’t buy used (or sell) but if you only use subscriptions like that and only buy top tier games you know you won’t sell later, it’s a fine alternative.
Old 07-18-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Just two years ago I would have never wanted a digital only console, but after we bought our Xbox One S, we bought a couple games on disc but then we discovered Gamepass and Games with Gold and we have tons of digital only games via those methods.

You can’t buy used (or sell) but if you only use subscriptions like that and only buy top tier games you know you won’t sell later, it’s a fine alternative.
The big difference (for members of this forum) is that it won't be able to play 4k discs.

Otherwise, if you take out the resell thing (which I know is important to some) the disc is mainly just an annoyance: it's a license check on what becomes a purely digital product anyway. It's not like after install the disc is used for anything, basically the whole game is installed on the (now super fast) drive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.