Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you concerned about game sizes and console storage for the next generation of consoles?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Are you concerned about game sizes and console storage for the next generation of consoles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 03:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Not surprisingly, major blockbuster video games are getting larger and larger, with some console games now around 100 GB in size. In addition, the hard drive on both the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X is one terabyte, which can fill up pretty quickly. Considering current games often require large downloads even when buying the game on a disc, as well as mandatory installs quickly filling up the console's hard drive, are you concerned about increasing game sizes and limited hard drive space for the next generation of video game consoles?
Old 09-01-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts
Re: Are you concerned about game sizes and console storage for the next generation of consoles?

I've never once been concerned with console storage sizes. When I finish a game I delete it. If I want to replay it I redownload it. I'm willing to bet I own more digital games on consoles than 98% of the people on these forums and I've never even used half of my storage space.
Old 09-01-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Re: Are you concerned about game sizes and console storage for the next generation of consoles?

Well I have a data cap and came within 85% of it last month. I am concerned since I can't freely download, delete and re-download games without going over my limit. I pay enough every month for my ISP as is
Old 09-01-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

No not really, who knows, maybe stronger systems will allow us to go back to using compressed assets.

Nvme and ssd storage has dropped drastically in price lately as well. Plus fiber here with no cap.
Old 09-01-19, 08:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

As Quest said, I just keep what I want readily available. I play, I finish, I delete. If I want to ever play again, I reinstall. My internal is like 1/4 full and 2 TB drive not even half full and most of what I have I won’t get to for years
Old 09-02-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

My only concern is for the people who have ISP caps, or incredibly slow download speeds. Otherwise, with the ability to add external storage easily and cheaply, space isn't really an issue. Like others here, if I do run out of space, I'll just delete what I've already played, like I do on the PS3.
Old 09-02-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I think as long as they give a reasonable initial amount of storage with the console as well as the ability to add cheap external storage for those who need it, all will be fine. Like it is now, basically.
Old 09-02-19, 12:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

It's something I think about, sure, but I never seem to have a problem with storage space. Like others, I just delete stuff I don't think I'll revisit.
Old 09-02-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
I think as long as they give a reasonable initial amount of storage with the console as well as the ability to add cheap external storage for those who need it, all will be fine. Like it is now, basically.
I just wish it were easier. It's very clunky having a something like the Xbox One S, a premier model of the Xbox line, and we have to hook up an external hard drive with it's own power source to hold all the games.
They really need to make it easier to upgrade these things.
Old 09-02-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

They're gonna probably ship with 2 TB storage for next gen systems .

I'm not a fan of streaming games but if it gets to insane file sizes may have to eventually use streaming.
PS6 games will probably be close to 300 GB lol
Old 09-03-19, 12:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I just wish it were easier. It's very clunky having a something like the Xbox One S, a premier model of the Xbox line, and we have to hook up an external hard drive with it's own power source to hold all the games.
They really need to make it easier to upgrade these things.
umm... What?
Every modern USB3.0 external drive I've used or seen can pull enough power from the port. Never seen one with its own power source needed since these consoles were launched. Unless you're talking about really large drives... But even a 4TB drive I bought a few months ago doesn't need its own power.
Old 09-03-19, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I don’t have a data cap and can always find something to delete if I’m running low on space. My main problem is saying “Hey, everyone’s gone to bed so maybe I can slip in a few minutes to try that new game!” ... then it takes a half-hour for an update to download.
Old 09-03-19, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

For people with fast internet and no data caps, great. For a lot of the rest of the world (and it feels like companies are getting more restrictive on data caps not less), not so great.

But as long as HDD/memory card technology continues to improve and gets cheaper, and the companies make it easy to add storage, it's probably ok for most people. If they ever go the Apple model of charging a premium for space AND making it proprietary (again), though...

It will make discs almost useless, though. We're already pretty much at a point where most major games require patches to play. You won't be able to break out your disk 25 years from now and play it if the update servers are all down, even for a completely offline game.
Old 09-03-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

The only thing I care about is the initial install for loading games. I'm constantly hearing that there will be no load times at all for games - hopefully it's true.
Old 09-03-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rival11
The only thing I care about is the initial install for loading games. I'm constantly hearing that there will be no load times at all for games - hopefully it's true.
No load times or no install times? I doubt either is true. If you want to lessen load times you need to install to the internal disk/memory card and you're at the mercy of how fast your internet, or the media read/write speeds are (and they usually cheap out on that, I doubt we'll get SSDs as default in the next gen). Even if you put everything in internal memory for quick access, that will take some amount of time and even with a ton of memory developers would start exceeding that anyway.
Old 09-05-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
No load times or no install times? I doubt either is true. If you want to lessen load times you need to install to the internal disk/memory card and you're at the mercy of how fast your internet, or the media read/write speeds are (and they usually cheap out on that, I doubt we'll get SSDs as default in the next gen). Even if you put everything in internal memory for quick access, that will take some amount of time and even with a ton of memory developers would start exceeding that anyway.
No load times, saw numerous articles online about it - I bleieve IGN had one as well. I myself am not saying it's true (really hope it is of course).
Old 09-05-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I don’t have a data cap and can always find something to delete if I’m running low on space. My main problem is saying “Hey, everyone’s gone to bed so maybe I can slip in a few minutes to try that new game!” ... then it takes a half-hour for an update to download.
That is an annoyance with modern games. Either waiting for an update to process, which normally seem to take a half hour at minimum or installing, which takes as long or longer in many cases.
Old 09-05-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The amount of time (and space) a PS4 game takes to patch is ridiculous, I think it's the way they structured it so there was no improving it this gen. Like seriously, if you have a minor update for a game it can take forever, even if you can download the patch on a really fast connection. Maybe that's where they're talking about gains, but if they're really saying there's no load times, the only thing I can think of is they're going to put everything on disc which means even more storage used up, unless there's been some magical technology advancement I'm unaware of.
Old 09-05-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Isn't the thing about huge patches being that it's not just a few lines of code that are being added or replaced, but because of how programming works, the patch is actually replacing a huge chunk of the programming surrounding the offending part? So what may seem like a huge patch isn't really increasing the size of the file by that whole amount, just a smaller percentage. Am I off base on that?
Old 09-05-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Isn't the thing about huge patches being that it's not just a few lines of code that are being added or replaced, but because of how programming works, the patch is actually replacing a huge chunk of the programming surrounding the offending part? So what may seem like a huge patch isn't really increasing the size of the file by that whole amount, just a smaller percentage. Am I off base on that?
I think the way it works, at least on PS4, is that when a game is patched it reinstalls the whole game again with the patched code. So yeah, at the end of the day the actual file size isn't that much bigger, but you need basically double the space to even install the patch regardless of how big it is, and the time to write all that data takes forever. That's why I said I hope they architect it differently this time.
Old 09-05-19, 06:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies.

Here is an article that discusses improvements in load times for the upcoming PlayStation 5:

Sony’s New PlayStation 5 SSD Won’t Just Reduce Load Time, It’ll End It
Old 09-05-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
Thanks for all of the replies.

Here is an article that discusses improvements in load times for the upcoming PlayStation 5:

Sony’s New PlayStation 5 SSD Won’t Just Reduce Load Time, It’ll End It
Interesting. I wonder if this means it'll be a secondary drive and there will still be a primary drive to hold most of the data, or if we're stuck with some kind of cool but proprietary drive that we can't easily (or cheaply) upgrade ourselves. Wait, this is Sony.
Old 09-05-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, I see that and all I read is "Upcharge". It's probably just an NVMe PCI-E x4 SSD (which generally run about 5 times faster than SATA III-based SSDs.) In the PC world, a high quality 2 TB NVMe SSD is already less than $200.

Hopefully they're taking lessons learned from their failed PSP instead of tips from Apple.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-05-19 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 09:19 AM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Well, I wasn't, but now I am!
Old 09-06-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't played RDR2 but I was curious about that comment in the article that it has no loading screens, especially since there's no fancy SSD in the current crop of PS4s. Instead, googling RDR2 loading screen shows a ton of people complaining about getting stuck on loading screens... so I'm confused.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.