DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/648394-xbox-game-pass-game-pass-ultimate.html)

tonyc3742 07-15-21 03:56 PM

Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Thanks for the insight...Hmmm...I'm OK with a slow burn to an extent, but that seems reaaally slow. And while I would like to follow the story, I can watch ten movies in that time. I like where the combat was going, and I don't want it to get Dark Souls difficult, but I would like to use a little bit of strategy.
Do you recall what chapter you made it to?
Maybe I'll give it another session or two then consider moving on to something else. Or just play it now and then, instead of it being my 'main focus' game.

T-bone22 07-15-21 04:45 PM

I haven't played any of these but I thought I might give Yakuza Zero a shot. Worth it?

nickdawgy 07-15-21 06:57 PM

I hated the fact it was only Japanese voice acting.

Dan 07-15-21 07:27 PM

Yakuza Zero was great, but... So... Many... Cutscenes...

T-bone22 07-15-21 07:42 PM

I actually prefer original language with subtitles on Japanese games when that option is available. The voice acting is usually better. Did that recently with Ghost of Tsushima.

Decker 07-15-21 08:10 PM

Grab your new games and last chance at the old Freebies tonight

[url=https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1415461105833439236?s=20]
[/ame]

OldBoy 07-15-21 09:20 PM

Damn. Missed Midway AL.

Decker 07-15-21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13958214)
Damn. Missed Midway AL.

I don't think it's live yet. Supposed to be free 7/16-7/31

Gideon68 07-15-21 11:11 PM

It is live. 360 link below which will also give you the X1 version. Refresh if it doesn't come up free.

Search Results for "midway arcade origins" (xbox.com)

OldBoy 07-16-21 05:28 PM

it is live. thanks guys. this might be the One/XBSX link... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/midway-arcade-origins/bs97kvxlt9lk?wa=wsignin1.0#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

bluetoast 07-23-21 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by T-bone22 (Post 13958100)
I haven't played any of these but I thought I might give Yakuza Zero a shot. Worth it?

Very much worth it. Love that game.

Deftones 07-26-21 12:46 PM

Flight Sim looks amazing

maxfisher 07-26-21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13962272)
Flight Sim looks amazing

https://youtu.be/IHrUA5vLvsI

That does look fantastic. I actually bought the Thrustmaster stick back when they announced this for Game Pass, telling myself I was getting the game ‘for free’. I’ve just about wrapped up the PS5 Spider-Man remaster and am torn between immediately jumping into Miles Morales or taking a break for Flight Simulator.

T-bone22 07-26-21 02:23 PM

I really got into Flight Simulator 2020 when it came out on PC last year. I picked up a Thrustmaster stick and throttle. It really is amazing.

bluetoast 07-27-21 10:18 AM

Making sure: for the monthly Gold games, there’s no way to add them to my library like with PS+? I have to either download them, or start the download so they’re always in my queue/available. Is there another method to claim games without downloading?

Deftones 07-27-21 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13962589)
Making sure: for the monthly Gold games, there’s no way to add them to my library like with PS+? I have to either download them, or start the download so they’re always in my queue/available. Is there another method to claim games without downloading?

I am pretty sure if you claim them, they will always be yours. I have tons of games I claimed but never downloaded from Gold and they still show up in my library.

spainlinx0 07-27-21 10:23 AM

I have been able to claim them no problem. Sometimes they start downloading, and I just cancel the download, and I don't leave them in my queue. They still show up in my games available to download section.

Dan 07-27-21 12:26 PM

Yeah, I always have to cancel the download if I redeem the game from my console. PS+ is better in that regard.

Adam Tyner 07-27-21 01:11 PM

Is there another method to claim games without downloading?

You can do it over the web, although the interface is pretty clunky, especially for 360 games. It'll prompt you at the end what console(s) you want to download to, but you don't actually have to select anything.

Deftones 07-27-21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13962707)
You can do it over the web, although the interface is pretty clunky, especially for 360 games. It'll prompt you at the end what console(s) you want to download to, but you don't actually have to select anything.

And that may be why mine never downloads. I usually do mine via web or the app.

OldBoy 07-27-21 05:52 PM

102 GB!! Holy moley!! i'm definitely crashing into my house!! does the game tell you how to get to your location and stuff?

nickdawgy 07-28-21 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13962866)
102 GB!! Holy moley!! i'm definitely crashing into my house!! does the game tell you how to get to your location and stuff?

It's half that if you don't install the offline mode. You need great internet though. And you can't crash into your house. It's just a black screen.

T-bone22 07-28-21 08:31 AM

You can turn off crashing and instead of a black screen, you will just bounce off of your house.

Decker 08-22-21 09:33 AM

Big article in The Ringer on new Game Pass game Twelve Minutes. They rarely do video game stories. This sounds interesting. I plan to check it out today.

‘Twelve Minutes’ Will Suck You Into Its Time Loop

The Questyen 08-22-21 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13973783)
Big article in The Ringer on new Game Pass game Twelve Minutes. They rarely do video game stories. This sounds interesting. I plan to check it out today.

I gave thoughts in the What are you playing thread.

tonyc3742 09-09-21 02:55 PM

I dl'ed 12Min but haven't played it yet. It definitely looked intriguing.
Started CrisTales, which I had first heard of about a year ago in a PC Gamer preview. Sounded cool. And it is, to an extent. The time switching is interesting, both in combat and out. What annoyed me was the real-time nature of combat, where you have to hit a button to block or critical. The animation and art style is cute and unique, but also (at least for me) VERY hard to tell the proper time to hit. And even early on, I'm finding that timing will make or break your success. I put it aside.

My recent 'random try' game is Crown Trick.

It just came out. It definitely does not harness the full power of XSX, but it's got personality. It's sort of a cross between Hades, Slay the Spire, and Fatal Labyrinth, the old-ass Sega Genesis game. "Turn based roguelike" (Roguelikes are apparently Teh Hotness now). A run seems longer than Hades or STS, so we'll see what happens when I finish/lose one.
I like it so far, but it's definitely slower paced and more strategic than twitch. I actually prefer that, it's a nice change of pace, I have always liked turn based RPGs (although I do like Diablo-like games as well.)

mhg83 09-30-21 03:59 PM

Scarlet Nexus just got added.

Decker 09-30-21 04:02 PM

In far less exciting news, here's October's Games with Gold.
At least the 360 games are good.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...1689e34864.png

DVDChris 09-30-21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 13991256)
Scarlet Nexus just got added.

Nice! Also Marvel’s Avengers games which I’ve been wanting to try

Jeremy517 09-30-21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13991259)
In far less exciting news, here's October's Games with Gold.
At least the 360 games are good.

I only played the Steam version, but I thought Aaero was an enjoyable EDM rhythm game.

mhg83 09-30-21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 13991260)
Nice! Also Marvel’s Avengers games which I’ve been wanting to try

it's absolutely crazy how good a value Gamepass has become.
With the Halo, Forza this year, and Starfield next year, you have to wonder when a price hike is coming?

tonyc3742 10-01-21 11:14 AM

Ditto! Hopefully not for a long time...I hope MS is finding that balance between 'ongoing revenue stream' and 'enough money to buy publishers and release games.'
I'm actually good till mid 2023 and i've got another half-dozen subscription codes banked up.
I've been tempted to buy Avengers so I definitely downloaded that one. Downloaded like six GP games yesterday.

maxfisher 10-04-21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13973783)

I know I’m late to the party on this one, but I played it for a bit last night and it was the most disappointed I’ve been in a game in a while. I’m kind of shocked someone was willing to pay for big name voice talent for such a lousy game.

If you’re going to do a point and click adventure in 2021, it really feels like you either need to force enough linearity for the story and dialog to make sense or you have to add a lot more flexibility than this one has. It sits in a lousy middle ground where you end up with dialog options, actions and reactions that are repetitive and frequently seem stupid within the moment’s context. It was fairly buggy too, with the three characters frequently walking through each other and a couple instances of one of them passing through a door.

Also, I broke the plant in the bedroom on one loop and it stayed permanently broken on the resets, which I thought must mean something. I read a spoiler of the ending and it looks like the only thing the plant does is give you an achievement for watering it, so that was a crappy red herring, whether by design or just a bug.

tonyc3742 10-25-21 09:29 PM

Recent new GP game I've been playing:
Into the Pit.
Another 'roguelike/roguelite'.
The coloring is weird and it's definitely throwback graphics.
It feels like a cross between Hades and Heretic.
I've only gotten to the first dungeon's boss once, and he killed me, so it might end up being just a liiiiittle more repetitive than I want. Or it might be one of those "i want to play something for twenty minutes" like Slay the Spire.
So far each Chamber takes 2, maybe 3 minutes on average; there are 4 per level, and I think you have to go through 3 levels to get to the first boss. So about half an hour, unless you die.
It does support Quick Resume.

GP memberships (37% growth) reportedly didn't quite meet MS targets of 48% growth.
I know they're really pushing the cloud gaming as a new feature, hoping to get more subs that way.
I have to believe the poor purchasing experience of many people when trying to buy an XSX, and to a lesser extent XSS, is having an impact on that (I know PS5 sales are dealing with the same issues of scalpers and chip shortages.)
Does the console come with a GP trial yet? That seems like a no-brainer to me, toss in a card for a month sub with the console to get people to try it out.

Jeremy517 12-06-21 04:12 PM

GatorDeb 12-06-21 06:52 PM

Maybe you all can help me. It's been a couple months since I've been able to play. I have uninstalled, reinstalled. If I go to play a game it tells me I need to download something and takes me to the MS Store and the app says it's been downloaded already. I have uninstalled that and reinstalled and no cigar.

Jay G. 12-07-21 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 14021971)
Maybe you all can help me. It's been a couple months since I've been able to play. I have uninstalled, reinstalled. If I go to play a game it tells me I need to download something and takes me to the MS Store and the app says it's been downloaded already. I have uninstalled that and reinstalled and no cigar.

Did you try Xbox support?
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us

Barring that, we're going to need more details, like the specific error messages you've received, the specific app name, etc.

Here's some suggestions, but half of them are suggesting contact support:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3e7aa4e?auth=1

GatorDeb 12-07-21 11:57 AM

The issue appears to be Gaming Services. If you view the comments on the app page, tons and tons of people are in my same shoes, so it seems it doesn't affect everybody but it affects a lot of people. Right now I can't even download Gaming Services, it just does a refreshing icon and doesn't let you click the button. In the past it has told me I have to install it and then take me to its store page where it says installed.

Jay G. 12-08-21 10:11 AM

Just to be clear, this is for gaming on a PC, not on an Xbox, right?

Have you tried removing the app package?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...63c1269?auth=1

• Launch powershell as an administrator and enter “get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers”
  • In the same powershell window, enter “start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN”
  • Install the app on that page, including accepting the UAC prompt when shown.

GatorDeb 12-08-21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 14022705)
Just to be clear, this is for gaming on a PC, not on an Xbox, right?

Have you tried removing the app package?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...63c1269?auth=1

Ran as administrator:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
remove-AppxPackage : Removal failed. Please contact your software vendor.
Deployment Remove operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.GamingServices_3.59.11001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
from: failed with error 0x80070002. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app
deployment issues.
At line:1 char:44
+ ... t-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-AppxPackage], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Comman
ds.RemoveAppxPackageCommand

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Yep, I have it for PC only as I don't own an XBOX.

This is what the storefront looks like for me. Sometimes it says Alredy have, says get and I get it and still directs me there saying already got, sometimes it's a refreshing icon that never ends, sometimes this. Look at all the negative reviews of people affected.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e0c14d427c.png