Old 11-05-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 568 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Old 11-05-20, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 247 Likes on 184 Posts

*Unpopular opinion - Jedi: Fallen Order sucks and needed another 9+ months in the oven. It's an average game at best. Easily my most disappointing game that I played this year.

So... free is the correct price.
Old 11-05-20, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
*Unpopular opinion - Jedi: Fallen Order sucks and needed another 9+ months in the oven. It's an average game at best. Easily my most disappointing game that I played this year.

still haven't finished this game.
Old 11-05-20, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Game Pass just keeps knocking it out of the park. Its made it so Iím almost afraid to buy any games because in the back of my mind Iím always thinking it might come out on game pass eventually. I had stars wars on my wish list but held off due to so so reviews. Now I can play it and not feel like I wasted money if I donít like it.
Old 11-06-20, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hated it but didnít want to piss in anyoneís Cheerios so I just posted the Tweet without comment.
Old 11-06-20, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
still haven't finished this game.
Me either. I gave up on it.
Old 11-06-20, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Fallen Order is an amazing game with a better Star Wars story than most of the movies. A bit Souls-like, which is probably a reason for the divided reaction.
Old 11-06-20, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I hated it but didnít want to piss in anyoneís Cheerios so I just posted the Tweet without comment.
It's a discussion forum.

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
Fallen Order is an amazing game with a better Star Wars story than most of the movies. A bit Souls-like, which is probably a reason for the divided reaction.
Story was fine (or so I want to say, pretty forgettable, so not terrible I guess?) Fighting mechanics were spotty, but enjoyable enough. I liked the skill tree, but the game takes too long for me to be a badass.

My main beef is polish. The game is basically Tomb Raider which is a highly polished series at this point, and I played Rise right before Jedi so the flaws were that much more evident. Traversal and platforming were an annoyance instead of a fun part of the game like TR. You look forward to figuring out how to climb a mountain in TR hopping from ledge to ledge, grappling here or there. The game is smart enough to know what you're trying to do so if you're jumping a chasm to a small ledge, the game "gets it" and you make the jump. Jedi plays like 90s Tomb Raider where you're constantly missing jumps, ledges, inadvertently falling to your death. I don't think there was a single "slide" in the game where I nailed it on the first try. Slide down hill and jump to grab a rope with pinpoint precision to get over a chasm. Slide to my death. Slide to my death. Slide to my death. Oh, maybe this time's the time... nope... slide to my death. You'd think a Jedi would be able to, oh I don't know, use the force to grab that rope every time?

It just always felt the game was fighting my enjoyment at every turn. That being said, I powered through and finished so the game had promise. A sequel should be much better.
Old 11-06-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I got lost so many times in those levels. It was super-frustrating. Unless you're playing a game based on Blair Witch Project, you shouldn't spend half your time wandering around lost and unsure where to go next.
Old 11-06-20, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 296 Likes on 206 Posts

No argument here. I'm admittedly more on the "average game at best" end of the spectrum rather than straight-up "sucks", but it was a letdown. Boring lead, mostly uninvolving story (the Order 66 sequence is pretty incredible, though), maps being too cumbersome to enjoy exploring (including but not limited to lack of waypoints or fast travel), annoying platforming/environmental puzzles, oodles of bugs/general lack of polish, combat that doesn't sing quite the way I wanted, button presses that went unacknowledged (I'd use that stim, dammit, and yet nothing would actually happen)... I guess I had a good enough time to chase down all the achievements, and I've played games this year that I disliked more -- Doom Eternal and Super Mario 64, for instance -- but relative to expectations, nothing disappointed me more than Fallen Order.
Old 11-06-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I got lost so many times in those levels. It was super-frustrating. Unless you're playing a game based on Blair Witch Project, you shouldn't spend half your time wandering around lost and unsure where to go next.
Oh yeah, the dreaded map and endless backtracking and walking in circles. I forgot all about those gems. Fun times.
Old 11-09-20, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Backtracking is buuuuuuullllshit.
Old 11-09-20, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't played it, but yes, yes it does. I've played enough games with it to agree wholeheartedly.

I finished Afterparty Halloween weekend. It's not on GP anymore but it was a decent, funny 5 hour adventure.
Didn't like the dwarven mining FPS after my twenty minutes of playing it.

Not every GP game is a AAA homerun. But I'm OK with that. I'm getting to where I enjoy the 3-6 hour adventure type games, and most of those I probably wouldn't buy.
Like Fractured Minds - it's a 30 minute game made by a young woman with anxiety, meant to reflect some of those feelings.

I like some movies, shows, games, that aren't 'the best', but are enjoyable. GP gives a good variety of stuff that I probably wouldn't be able to try otherwise, and some of them are surprisingly fun.

Saw a headline - rumor - or buzz - that MS tweeted something regarding Mandalorian. Unclear if it refers to the show or a partnership with Disney+. I just hope GP doesn't get 'too big'. From a consumer level, I think 15/month is about the most it could charge, no matter what is included (and of course most of us are able to find deals to bring that down a bit.)
Old 11-09-20, 12:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 185 Posts

I've heard good things about River City Girls. Will probably check that one out.
Old 11-09-20, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Crap, I just downloaded Talos. It may not be my kind of game anyway.
Looking forward to Gears Tactics and will definitely try River City Girls. Streets of Rage-ish?

So the Disney+ thing is a 30 day free trial for GPU members who are new to D+.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/11/...-this-holiday/
Old 11-09-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excited to play Tetris and Star Wars tomorrow

Old 11-09-20, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EA Access is live
Old 11-09-20, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 296 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
Looking forward to Gears Tactics and will definitely try River City Girls. Streets of Rage-ish?
River City Ransom is a closer point of comparison. (Doesn't hurt that it is a River City Ransom game!) There's stats, leveling, backtracking, abilities to unlock, consumables to buy, side quest-y things, yadda yadda. But it is a brawler, yeah.

It's a pleasant surprise to see Planet Coaster on there. That's another third-party title to launch (on console, anyway) on GamePass! And something like the third game I've thought about ordering for my wife over the past few weeks that wound up being "free".
Old 11-10-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
Crap, I just downloaded Talos. It may not be my kind of game anyway.

So the Disney+ thing is a 30 day free trial for GPU members who are new to D+.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/11/...-this-holiday/
Thanks for the heads up about Disney+. I had previously done a 7 (?) day trial a couple of months ago, but it let me claim the 30 day from the Xbox One dashboard. I can see Mandalorian season 2 now. I did see Gears Tactics available I will have to give it a shot.
Old 11-10-20, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Old 11-10-20, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Game Pass is going to force me to buy more storage. I just downloaded Doom and Deep Rock Galactic last week. Now I'm downloading Gears Tactics and after hearing about Titanfall 2s excellent campaign I have that 62 gig file in the que. I just hope I can get them all played before they leave.