Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Old 01-07-23, 12:42 PM
  #451  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 50,468
Received 766 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
Great. Iím going to try it out and see if I like it first. Iíve always heard good things. Do you all have any preference on what Xbox controller I should pick up? Iím using a PS4 controller currently and itís throwing me off a little since Xbox uses different button symbols than PlayStation.
The different placement of X has always been a struggle for me as I switch between consoles.
Old 01-07-23, 01:10 PM
  #452  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,345
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

I'm glad you're finding some fun games!

I agree - many pundits seem to believe because there's a dearth of AAA titles, GP/GPU is doomed. I see that as a feature, not a bug. Well, rephrase - I see the low volume of AAA as not a big deal, when there are couple hundred non-AAA and indie games, which to me is a major feature. The AAA games will sell anyway, but there's a ton of games I would likely never play or buy without trying them out via something like GP. I have bought some of them, others I've played through once and that was enough, and others I've played once and realized I don't like it that much. There's so much variety in the game pass library.

My son just played through Superliminal and he loved it. It's only a couple hours of play but very creative and unique. He probably wouldn't have blind bought it, but he tried it, got hooked, and really enjoyed it.

I'm currently playing Persona 5 Royal, Chained Echoes, Vampire Survivors, It Takes Two, As Dusk Falls, just downloaded Potion Craft, and am waiting to see if the rumor of Shadow Warrior 3 coming to GP is legit.
That said, I'm hoping the developers of the games on GP are making money. I assume they are, and from what I've read, most developers/publishers are pleased with their GP deals.

Anyone have any tips on Vampire Survivors? (And yes, I know it's a five dollar game. I'll probably buy it.) I cannot last more than 15 minutes on the first map. I was able unlock the second map somehow, but last even less. I always go for garlic, but not sure if it's better to have a couple weapons maxed out, or a variety.
The following users liked this post:
lwhy? (01-07-23)
Old 01-07-23, 03:12 PM
  #453  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 8,598
Received 544 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
I'm glad you're finding some fun games!

I'm currently playing Persona 5 Royal, Chained Echoes, Vampire Survivors, It Takes Two, As Dusk Falls, just downloaded Potion Craft, and am waiting to see if the rumor of Shadow Warrior 3 coming to GP is legit.
That said, I'm hoping the developers of the games on GP are making money. I assume they are, and from what I've read, most developers/publishers are pleased with their GP deals.
I loved Persona 5, but I haven't played Persona 5 Royal yet. I own the PlayStation version of it. It took me over 150 hours to beat the base version and I was burnt out on it after. I hear Royal has a lot of quality of life improvements. I'll play it someday.
Old 01-07-23, 03:13 PM
  #454  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 8,598
Received 544 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
The different placement of X has always been a struggle for me as I switch between consoles.
Yes! that was really confusing me.
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (01-13-23)
Old 01-07-23, 04:00 PM
  #455  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,514
Received 851 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
I'm glad you're finding some fun games!

I agree - many pundits seem to believe because there's a dearth of AAA titles, GP/GPU is doomed. I see that as a feature, not a bug. Well, rephrase - I see the low volume of AAA as not a big deal, when there are couple hundred non-AAA and indie games, which to me is a major feature. The AAA games will sell anyway, but there's a ton of games I would likely never play or buy without trying them out via something like GP. I have bought some of them, others I've played through once and that was enough, and others I've played once and realized I don't like it that much. There's so much variety in the game pass library.

My son just played through Superliminal and he loved it. It's only a couple hours of play but very creative and unique. He probably wouldn't have blind bought it, but he tried it, got hooked, and really enjoyed it.

I'm currently playing Persona 5 Royal, Chained Echoes, Vampire Survivors, It Takes Two, As Dusk Falls, just downloaded Potion Craft, and am waiting to see if the rumor of Shadow Warrior 3 coming to GP is legit.
That said, I'm hoping the developers of the games on GP are making money. I assume they are, and from what I've read, most developers/publishers are pleased with their GP deals.

Anyone have any tips on Vampire Survivors? (And yes, I know it's a five dollar game. I'll probably buy it.) I cannot last more than 15 minutes on the first map. I was able unlock the second map somehow, but last even less. I always go for garlic, but not sure if it's better to have a couple weapons maxed out, or a variety.
To put AAA games on the platform there needs to be AAA games released and that has been ... lacking, as of late.

I think it's a steal for what it is.
Old 01-07-23, 09:35 PM
  #456  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 32,608
Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
The different placement of X has always been a struggle for me as I switch between consoles.
I get more confused by the B and A being swapped on the Switch.
Old 01-24-23, 07:33 PM
  #457  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 48,153
Received 741 Likes on 633 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Does Game Pass not let you download games anymore? Just play from cloud? I wanted to download Monster Hunter Rise, but only option through Xbox itself was play game. No download.
Old 01-24-23, 07:41 PM
  #458  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 8,598
Received 544 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Does Game Pass not let you download games anymore? Just play from cloud? I wanted to download Monster Hunter Rise, but only option through Xbox itself was play game. No download.
I can download games on PC. I don't have a Xbox.
Old 01-24-23, 07:46 PM
  #459  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 48,153
Received 741 Likes on 633 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

I went to MS store, went to game page and only option was to play. Couldn’t download straight through console.
Old 01-24-23, 07:55 PM
  #460  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 48,153
Received 741 Likes on 633 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Yeah my bad. It was already installed and I didnít remember installing.
Old 01-25-23, 08:24 AM
  #461  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,345
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

I have noticed that for some games, if you go through the Card, the default is to Play via cloud, but you can move right to install.
I've played a few games via cloud on console just to try it, and it seemed to work pretty well. But I prefer downloading.
Old 01-25-23, 08:27 AM
  #462  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 41,633
Received 1,497 Likes on 1,158 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
I have noticed that for some games, if you go through the Card, the default is to Play via cloud, but you can move right to install.
I've played a few games via cloud on console just to try it, and it seemed to work pretty well. But I prefer downloading.
This works great for the points challenges.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
Dan (01-25-23), Music (01-25-23)
Old 01-25-23, 09:19 AM
  #463  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 8,721
Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Old 01-25-23, 09:20 AM
  #464  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 27,434
Received 1,025 Likes on 735 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

^ finally. Is online multiplayer still exclusive to Nintendo for that? Looks like split-screen local mp is the only option.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
This works great for the points challenges.
Especially the ones where the points are awarded for just launching the game. Not as great when it's a game that takes a lot longer, as I find, at least on my connection, it loses sync after a few minutes and has a hard time getting it back.
Old 01-25-23, 10:28 AM
  #465  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 68,425
Received 4,553 Likes on 3,100 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Ugh this thread is stuck. Can't see newer posts on my mobile browser.
Edit. Now after I posted it shows for me. Sorry for the interruption.
And yeah Goldeneye is local multi-player only on Xbox unfortunately. ​​​​​​​
Old 01-25-23, 07:49 PM
  #466  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 32,608
Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Ugh this thread is stuck. Can't see newer posts on my mobile browser.
Edit. Now after I posted it shows for me. Sorry for the interruption.
And yeah Goldeneye is local multi-player only on Xbox unfortunately.
Sometimes pics that people post donít show for me. And sometimes I canít quick reply.
Old 01-26-23, 12:41 AM
  #467  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 68,425
Received 4,553 Likes on 3,100 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

This game could be cool.

Old 01-26-23, 06:23 AM
  #468  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,125
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Its really fun smooth gameplay. Not sure how this is a rhythm game when there are barely any button prompts?
Old 01-28-23, 07:57 PM
  #469  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,891
Received 1,089 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

GP has 120M active users. Damn. Guess that is why they don't give a shit about giving away AAA games on there.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gamin...y-active-users
Old 01-28-23, 08:10 PM
  #470  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,514
Received 851 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

That number will impress once the $50 upgrade deals are over.
Old 01-28-23, 08:38 PM
  #471  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,891
Received 1,089 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
That number will impress once the $50 upgrade deals are over.
Well sure. But let's be real, how many people have the knowledge to do that trick? 10%? 25%? I can't imagine the number is much higher than that. I bet it is like Netflix where people just keep the subscription going because inertia. MS must be very pleased at how the service has turned out.
The following 4 users liked this post by Deftones:
Adam Tyner (01-29-23), Dan (01-29-23), Jay G. (01-29-23), Spiderbite (01-30-23)
Old 01-29-23, 07:26 PM
  #472  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,663
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
That number will impress once the $50 upgrade deals are over.
Uh maybe you should do a little math buddy....120 million even if every single person got it for $50.....120 M x 50....is SIX BILLION pal...
Old 01-29-23, 08:35 PM
  #473  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,891
Received 1,089 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Uh maybe you should do a little math buddy....120 million even if every single person got it for $50.....120 M x 50....is SIX BILLION pal...
Yeah but that's a year. I am sure they would much rather have 120M paying $15/month.
Old 01-29-23, 09:39 PM
  #474  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 27,502
Received 1,509 Likes on 988 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Uh maybe you should do a little math buddy....120 million even if every single person got it for $50.....120 M x 50....is SIX BILLION pal...
50 * 120,000,000 = $60 billion, not $6 billion.

Pretend you didnít see me post that.
Old 01-29-23, 10:40 PM
  #475  
Moderator
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,261
Received 446 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
$50 * 120,000,000 = $60 billion, not $6 billion.
You tell Ďem boss. 👍🏼

(I donít math very well either.)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.