Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rank the Gears of War games.

Old 06-25-19, 03:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Rank the Gears of War games.

So, with 4 games and Judgement, of course 5th on the way, Iím getting into this now. Starting with the UE of 1.

How would you rank the games in terms of play, graphics, mechanics (if theyíve changed at all), story, design, etc. and should they all be played in succession?
Old 06-25-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Rank the Gears of War games.

Taking your kids to see The Emoji Movie in a theater
Root Canal
Colonoscopy
Jury Duty

Judgement
Old 06-25-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1>3>Judgement>2>4
Old 06-25-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2...Great story, 2-player co-op and the infamous Horde Mode introduced...and nothing has come close since
3....Up the entire game with more weapons (Crossbow), great DLC packs, more executions, artillery
1....First one set the tone and history was made...nothing like it before and nothing like it since.
4...Different bunch made this and while ok and fun to some degree, didn't have the magic as 2 and 3

Note...to this day I don't think I've played a game with better overall movement...like crouch and run to the cover system...as GOW.
Old 06-25-19, 09:07 PM

I just don’t think I’m used to this particular 3rd person movement. Is it like that at first? Do you get used to? Does it matter to play in succession?
Old 06-25-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2 -> 3 -> 1 -> 4 -> Judgment
Old 06-26-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1 was lightning in a bottle.
Old 06-26-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Decker
Old 06-26-19, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

Taking your kids to see The Emoji Movie in a theater
Root Canal
Colonoscopy
Jury Duty

Judgement
Was Judgement that bad? Was it not like any other Gears game?
Old 06-26-19, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
1 was lightning in a bottle.
Holy fbomb. Playing/watching the end of one of the chapters in Act 1, where Kim gets killed by that really big dude was like watching a movie I would damn well like to see. Kinda getting the hang of it and my it is a stunner of a looking game..
Old 06-26-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Was Judgement that bad? Was it not like any other Gears game?
It was ok but it lacked that same "Rush & Fun Factor" as the others...made by a different bunch, it added and changed some things. They put in a more scoring/tally system along with modifiers where it sort of made it cumbersome. The story/campaign was short compared to the others. They put in a "Survival Mode" in place of the Horde where you picked from four classes...Engineer, Medic. Soldier, Scout. On paper it was ok but instead of building fortifications like in Horde, you repaired the existing ones and that was the engineer's job. In random matches everyone wanted to be the Scout or Soldier...not so with Medic and Engineer. but the look of the game had a sort of pastel look....not as sharp and distinctive as the other three.
Old 06-26-19, 08:13 PM

I’m liking it. Very cinematic, but not getting used to movement mechanic, unfortunately...
Old 06-27-19, 07:13 PM

i think i'm getting the hang of the first. just seems like blast some enemies (a few at most) and then long stretches of just searching buildings for paths and stuff. i usually get lost bc no clear direction even though so linear. i get twisted around all the time. only 2 Acts in, like the Hammer of Dawn, but seems like there would have been more action by now. do like some of the uniqueness like staying in the light and staying away from the Kryll, but i dunno...
Old 06-28-19, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Iím liking it. Very cinematic, but not getting used to movement mechanic, unfortunately...
I'm surprised...to this day I don't think any game has come close to the movement, vaulting over walls, blind fire, rolling and especially the crouch run while throwing in various execution styles that highlighted the game. I've never rules out getting a XBO but I'll get a PS5...Ö.I miss the Gears games and I still have my XBL (still play 360 here and there) so if a XB comes up on sale good enough might grab one.
Old 06-29-19, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
I'm surprised...to this day I don't think any game has come close to the movement, vaulting over walls, blind fire, rolling and especially the crouch run while throwing in various execution styles that highlighted the game. I've never rules out getting a XBO but I'll get a PS5...….I miss the Gears games and I still have my XBL (still play 360 here and there) so if a XB comes up on sale good enough might grab one.
I’m not saying the play mechanics aren’t fluid and spot on, it’s just that playing so much FPS and only AC: O recently, I’m not used to the mechanics at all, but getting better. As I said, I’ve always been run and gun and this is mostly the antithesis...

Last edited by OldBoy; 06-29-19 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

My Gears experience is kind of strange. Even though I bought a 360 at launch, I hardly used it for whatever reason and missed out on essentially all of its landmark games (Gears, Halo 3, Mass Effect, etc.). I bought the Ultimate Edition of Gears of War on the Xbox One when it came out, and I picked up GoW 4 at launch as well, but I never actually played anything in between until now. So, over the past 6 days, I played through the first 3 games: the Ultimate Edition of Gears a second time and GoW 2 and 3 via BC. (Doesn't hurt that they're all so short!)

I'm holding off on replaying 4 until late August/early September, especially since I'm already feeling kind of burned out on Gears. Since it's one of just a handful of Atmos games on the XB1, I'm really looking forward to playing that one on this home theater for the first time and in 4K/HDR.

But I'd definitely rank the first three as 2 > 3 > 1. I'm not completely sure where I'd place 4 until I replay it, but at worst, it'd be 2 > 3 > 4 > 1. I can't get over how gorgeous 2 and 3 look on the Xbox One X. The 4K resolution works wonders. Despite some of the stiff animations, facial models, occasional low-res textures, and aged pre-rendered cinematics, they frequently look like they could pass for current-gen games. There are certainly ways in which they far outclass the Ultimate Edition of the original.

As I said, Iíve always been run and gun and this is mostly the antithesis...
You can play more sloppily in 2 and 3 since your AI teammates can revive you. By and large, unless a sniper blows your head off (and there's a warning chime to let you know that's coming), you'll hardly ever "die". (Well, that's dangerous to say. I hardly ever died. Your mileage may vary. ) At least that's the case on 'Normal' difficulty. The default difficulty on 2, 3, and 4 is significantly easier than the default on the first game. The AI squad is so unusually competent in 2 and 3 that sometimes an objective would be complete and I hadn't even had time to contribute. Oh, and as for not being sure what to do at a given moment, 3 will put a waypoint on-screen and tell you exactly what you need to do when you press LB.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 06-29-19 at 04:34 PM.