DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Yet Another Mini Thread TurboGrafx-16 mini coming (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/647891-yet-another-mini-thread-turbografx-16-mini-coming.html)

starseed1981 07-12-19 02:23 PM

Re: Yet Another Mini Thread TurboGrafx-16 mini coming

It would've been cool to see the Japanese PC- Engine version of SF 2. It's crazy how well of a port that is. Very cool to see Snatcher though. I've always wanted to play it but never had the extra $600 sitting around to buy the Sega-CD version ha!

fujishig 07-15-19 07:13 PM

Finally up for preorder on amazon:

dom56 07-15-19 11:37 PM

Just went and preorder :)

Noonan 07-16-19 07:01 AM

Order in last night when I saw it posted.

starseed1981 07-16-19 09:19 AM

$99.99? Too much imho.

Mike86 07-16-19 11:14 AM

Higher than I expected but I’m still interested. Might put in a pre-order for now. It’s a ways out so I have time to think it over. I’ll probably never play an actual TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine so this might be a good alternative.

fujishig 08-08-19 12:55 PM

They announced more games, which I was surprised by:

Splatterhouse!

Noonan 08-08-19 01:28 PM

Splatterhouse!

milo bloom 08-08-19 04:10 PM

Yeah, I saw several comments here and there saying the lack of Splatterhouse kept them from buying. My wife would rather we emulate things like this, but I like the form factor and interface of mini systems better.

flansered 04-27-20 09:13 AM

I cancelled my preorder on Amazon and ordered one off Amazon Japan. I placed my order Saturday morning (4/18) and it arrived on Tuesday afternoon (4/21). Surprisingly quick. But after spending the weekend with it I am happy that I went ahead and ordered it. I never had an original TurboGrafx 16 but always wanted one, so this is my first time actually playing these games. Some of the game choices are questionable, like who is getting this for the TG-16 port of Space Harrier? But overall there's more good than bad. I didn't notice any lag problems while playing with it, and nothing seemed broke and unplayable. The controller has a better build quality than the Genesis mini's and I was surprised that they kept the shield in the back as a separate removable piece.

Noonan 04-27-20 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by flansered (Post 13731111)
I cancelled my preorder on Amazon and ordered one off Amazon Japan. I placed my order Saturday morning (4/18) and it arrived on Tuesday afternoon (4/21). Surprisingly quick. But after spending the weekend with it I am happy that I went ahead and ordered it. I never had an original TurboGrafx 16 but always wanted one, so this is my first time actually playing these games. Some of the game choices are questionable, like who is getting this for the TG-16 port of Space Harrier? But overall there's more good than bad. I didn't notice any lag problems while playing with it, and nothing seemed broke and unplayable. The controller has a better build quality than the Genesis mini's and I was surprised that they kept the shield in the back as a separate removable piece.

Is there any difference with the model sold in Japan? I ordered mine on Amazon as soon as they posted it and my order was just "updated" to have a delivery date of Jan 5th.

fujishig 04-27-20 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13731120)
Is there any difference with the model sold in Japan? I ordered mine on Amazon as soon as they posted it and my order was just "updated" to have a delivery date of Jan 5th.

There are three different models sold in Japan. The TG16 is the same as the one sold here (it doesn't even come with a plug). While all consoles have both JP and EN versions of most games, there are slight differences (US has salamander, PC Engine has Tokimeki Memorial, PC Engine has a controller with no turbo, etc.)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/b?ie=UTF8&node=6974564051

Right now Japan has just shut down a lot of shipping options to the US. Amazon Japan uses DHL and as of yet is not affected but if you want it I would act sooner rather than later.

edited to add: The Turbographx version is as of right now sold out on Amazon Japan and is only available through 3rd party sellers. Probably a lot of people cancelling their orders from the US contributed to this.

milo bloom 04-27-20 09:25 AM

I totally slept on this. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger. Maybe I'll wait for a few more reviews.

flansered 04-27-20 11:21 AM

Wow, I'm kind of surprised that it's not available now. If it does come back in stock it ended up costing me $116.16 with shipping, but since $16 of that was shipping I felt like it wasn't too bad. It's still going to come out here eventually, but I just decided that I would rather spend the money now rather than have Amazon just randomly charge me and ship it whenever things get sorted out with everything that's going on.

fujishig 05-14-20 02:28 PM

This is now releasing in the US (according to Amazon) next week, 5/22.

Noonan 05-14-20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13741335)
This is now releasing in the US (according to Amazon) next week, 5/22.

Good to hear. My order is still showing the placeholder 12/31 release date.

slop101 05-22-20 03:49 PM

Woot! Mine shipped, should have it Monday or Tuesday (probably tuesday, due to Memorial day).

From the reviews, looks like this a retro mini-console done right!

dom56 05-23-20 11:29 PM

Got mine today. First the back cover was a pain to remove, once I plug in the A/C and HDMI I never put it back on. Haven't played all the games yet just a few shooters and Alien Crush. Glad that the controller cord is longer than the NES mini. So far I liking this mini and going play some more tomorrow.

milo bloom 09-14-20 10:06 PM

This is back in stock at Amazon. My wife ordered on Friday and it came today. Been sampling a bit of everything.

Why in the blue hell are these shooters so brutal? What’s the point of designing a whole game if you can’t get past the first few levels?

slop101 09-15-20 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13805554)
Why in the blue hell are these shooters so brutal? What’s the point of designing a whole game if you can’t get past the first few levels?

Since they were originally in arcades, to suck your quarters from you.
Then, later, when more people rented games, it was so people couldn't beat a game over the course of one rental.

joeblow69 09-15-20 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13805554)
This is back in stock at Amazon. My wife ordered on Friday and it came today. Been sampling a bit of everything.

I don't remember Blazing Lazers being TOO difficult. That was my favorite shooter back in the day. A fully powered up lazer gun would cover the whole damn screen practically. So fun

PerryD 09-15-20 09:44 AM

The shooters definitely involved getting into a zen mode, and the most psychedelic backgrounds, the better. Gaiares, Thunder Force IV were the pinnacle.

PerryD 12-12-20 09:43 AM

I broke down and picked it up. Amazon Warehouse has some in "Like New" condition for $82, and from what I can tell, it's brand new inside the box with the one that I received
​​