Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) - not to be confused with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) - not to be confused with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 11:48 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) - not to be confused with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

I've played about a dozen rounds so far, and here's my initial impression of 32vs32 Ground War mode.

I like the progression system. The last COD I played (WWII) was too confusing. There were loot boxes and cards and coins and it didn't make any sense. This is back to basics and very easy to follow.

I also like that games are short. I think they were around 15 minutes each. Sometimes a round of Battlefield can go on forever.

Getting placed in a match, and returning to the menu after the match was very quick. Much faster than Battlefield.

I don't like this map. The gameplay is too chaotic. 64-players feels really crowded. And rooms have too many entry points so you're constantly getting shot in the back. After 2-3 minutes, the killstreaks force everyone inside to avoid the missiles and helicopters.

Tanks are annoying. They're parked on the edge of the map and shooting through open windows, blindly killing anyone in the room.

Almost every game is a blowout, and I blame that on killstreaks. The team that's doing well gets killstreaks, then they start dominating the game. I only had one close game.

I hate snipers that sit on a roof and target spawn points. You shouldn't be able to kill players that are in their starting base.
Old 09-25-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) - not to be confused with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I've played about a dozen rounds so far, and here's my initial impression of 32vs32 Ground War mode.

I like the progression system. The last COD I played (WWII) was too confusing. There were loot boxes and cards and coins and it didn't make any sense. This is back to basics and very easy to follow.

I also like that games are short. I think they were around 15 minutes each. Sometimes a round of Battlefield can go on forever.

Getting placed in a match, and returning to the menu after the match was very quick. Much faster than Battlefield.

I don't like this map. The gameplay is too chaotic. 64-players feels really crowded. And rooms have too many entry points so you're constantly getting shot in the back. After 2-3 minutes, the killstreaks force everyone inside to avoid the missiles and helicopters.

Tanks are annoying. They're parked on the edge of the map and shooting through open windows, blindly killing anyone in the room.

Almost every game is a blowout, and I blame that on killstreaks. The team that's doing well gets killstreaks, then they start dominating the game. I only had one close game.

I hate snipers that sit on a roof and target spawn points. You shouldn't be able to kill players that are in their starting base.
Pretty sure I played original MW (and the follow-on). Aside from getting into Black Ops 4 with friends for the battleground play, I haven’t touched MW series in a long time. I did however check out the MW open beta.

I agree with a lot of your assessment. Once I learned to play the map, I did a lot better with positive streaks. However, as you said once middle strikes and barriers come in it’s just no longer fun. There were often times when I’d spawn and die instantly because a kill streak was in progress, or an enemy was walking by (because as you said - crowded).

I feel like to have a chance, you need to know you’re going to do poorly until you upgrade weapons and unlock kill streaks. I wish they’d either segment players, or severely nerf kills streaks and make them tactical advantages (radar, armor buff, etc.). Otherwise it’s like fish and a barrel.

I’d possibly pick it up in the $20-40 range, but won’t pay full price.
Old 09-25-19, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Fans Upset Over Call of Duty: Modern Warfare's Year-Long PS4 Exclusive Mode, Infinity Ward Reacts

Xbox and PC players won't get the Special Ops Survival Mode until October 2020

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09...ty-ward-reacts
Old 10-25-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

So this came out today. The reviews have been pretty good. I am a little upset that while Spec Ops has returned at last apparently it's very, very difficult and not very good. My best friend and I loved playing the co-op Spec Ops missions in MW1 & MW2 but these sound very different and pretty slapdash actually. With no co-op campaign mode I am not sure what we will do together, though there are apparently small quick 2v2 matches that are supposed to be really fun. If I'm not so terrible as to ruin the experience for everyone, I might check those out with him.
Old 10-25-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Spec Ops mode was a last minute addition as a PS4 "exclusive," since it's exclusive for one year for Sony (and like anyone is really going to play it a year from now when the next CoD is coming out on next gen systems)
Old 10-25-19, 09:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

I’m so torn on this now. I haven’t played a CoD since MW3 (having loved the trilogy). Have the others even remastered MW1 which I can’t wait to relive, but have yet to get to and now with start of Outer Worlds and yearn to get back to Borderlands 3, frankly I may wait on this. Who knows. Would be nice to jump into a realistic FPS for a change. Would only need standard edition...

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-26-19 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 10:10 PM

And bought. Dying for realistic shooter. Will try Sunday hopefully. Though Outer Worlds has been so enticing.
Old 10-26-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
And bought. Dying for realistic shooter. Will try Sunday hopefully. Though Outer Worlds has been so enticing.
I was all in on The Outer Worlds no matter what...and glad I am....but after I pulled up that video..."The First 20 Minutes of Story Mode in COD: Modern Warfare"....I almost went with COD. I've played COD since COD 2 mainly for the game has always provided a little for everyone; Story, campaign, SP, co-op and lots of MP variations. I know COD always been mostly about the MP part...which I don't play much but get in a little but last couple just got too technical with too many gizmos and somehow didn't feel like COD. I've always looked at COD 4:Modern Warfare as the staple of the series though I had fun with World at War in coop and Modern Warfare 3 was great also...

But can someone tell me more about the Story/Campaign (length) and especially the Spec Ops Mode which seems to be a bit of a mystery...do they plan to add more, has matchmaking, maps, objectives....this was one area I couldn't find much on except on the PS Store it had PlayStation Exclusive Spec Ops Survival...ok, one mode, 1-2 maps, etc...?
Old 10-26-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Starting playing it today and only played like an hour, but really enjoying it so far. The graphics are gorgeous on this one and the sound effects are superb.
Old 10-26-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

After waiting almost 6 hours to download and install everything I played it for about an hour too. It looks amazing and story has been interesting so far. Im excited to keep going.
Old 10-26-19, 07:16 PM

Yeah, I’m jumping into this tomorrow...
Old 10-26-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a good COD
Old 10-27-19, 04:34 PM

what a fucking amazing game. loving it so far. looks so good. plays so fluidly. flying drones, helicopters, playing as different characters all in first hour...just great!
Old 10-27-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still want to hear more on the Story and Spec Ops before buying.....otherwise it's good to see this game go back to it's roots.
Old 10-27-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Still want to hear more on the Story and Spec Ops before buying.....otherwise it's good to see this game go back to it's roots.
I don’t have the game, but from all I have heard: Spec Ops is trash, but the story is fantastic and is ~8 hours long.
I’m not into COD at all, but am very tempted to get it for the story mode.
Old 10-27-19, 06:33 PM

Very simple story too. You’re basically trying to rid the world of an al-queda like terrorist group with some Russians and others thrown in for good measure right now, date is even 10/25/19 in game (release date). The characters are particularly well written and the Karl Urban sounding guy is awesome.
Spoiler:
The terrorist scene in Piccadilly Square
was so well done and looked so damn good. Roughly 8 means at least 15-20 for me over a period of few months if I don’t jump around which may not bc really loving. And, yay! stealth takedowns!

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-27-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier

I don’t have the game, but from all I have heard: Spec Ops is trash, but the story is fantastic and is ~8 hours long.
I’m not into COD at all, but am very tempted to get it for the story mode.
Wonder why....on paper it sounded(s) good...sort of like how The Division 2 incorporated Raids as a extra coop feature. Glad to hear the Story is good but having a bit more like this Spec Ops mode to do in coop/PvE would've been better. Still early and new....maybe they can fine tune it?
Old 10-28-19, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Played a bit this weekend and love it... however, as you've all mentioned, the Ground War mode is utter chaotic bullshit. No thanks.
Old 10-29-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
the Ground War mode is utter chaotic bullshit. No thanks.
This is accurate. It's a mess.

I'm playing on PC and it's been a pretty rough launch. The game is as unstable as anything I've played in a very long time, and is filled with bugs. But when things are working as intended, this game is really good. I do wish they'd had Kill Confirmed available for public multiplayer though. It's my favorite mode but it can only be played in private matches right now.
Old 10-29-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

So, the campaign was decent and I'd say it's the second best - COD 4 MW is still the best (mainly the remaster).

The multiplayer is outstanding - yes you can still pointlessly run around and try wiping everyone out but a bit more strategy is needed now if you want to get some good streaks going.

I love the size of the maps as well - please people, don't complain that they're too big - they're not and I'm so sick of the tiny, boring maps from games past.

So far, Domination 20 (I think that's what it's called) is my favorite - mainly because of the tanks.
Old 10-29-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I got to play Domination last night... it's cool that you can filter on/off the modes you want / don't want. I think my biggest problem with the game besides snipers are the tanks. I don't need those in my CoD game --- Battlefield is where they should reside. I do like that cars can be blown up and there appears to be more destructive environments than ever before --- but not to the degree of BF. I dig it so far and I'll certainly complete the campaign for the first time in about 4 iterations of the game.
Old 10-30-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm so glad you can filter as I prefer the more objective based games over DM/TDM. So far the maps seem well balanced and encourage/allow lot's of different play styles. I prefer to hang around and secure objectives and play more of a support role.
Old 10-30-19, 09:05 PM

i'm off tomorrow and gonna play as much as i fucking can!
Old 10-31-19, 03:27 PM

Just loving this campaign. Has all the essentials I love, especially stealth takedowns and sniping. I love sniping and a good, lined up headshot for some reason. Especially if silent. The story is so simple, but character actors and models, especially, are amazing. Just a great, nicely defined FPS war game.
Old 10-31-19, 06:43 PM

Anyone finish this and know how long SP campaign is?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.