Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What are some of the easiest traditional turn-based RPGs around?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What are some of the easiest traditional turn-based RPGs around?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: What are some of the easiest traditional turn-based RPGs around?

Originally Posted by dom56
I enjoyed the heck on Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360 and was disappointed that there wouldn't be a sequel since Mistwalker went kaput.
Another great suggestion. Played like a real FF game.

I'll also give a nod to Blue Dragon on 360.
Old 05-22-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper

Ive been mildly interested in this one since it came out. I've out it off because early word was the combat can be very dense and complex, and they don’t necessarily do a great job explaining how everything works.

It it certainly seems like something I’d like but I’m honestly too intimidated by everything I’ve seen and heard to actually pull the trigger.

I may go ahead and pick up the stand alone expansion though. It sounds like they ironed out some of the rough and tedious edges while still keeping the good stuff.

And Final Fantasy X is looking pretty good to me for whatever reason. So I may go down that road too.
If you ever have designs of playing the regular Xenoblade 2 game I'd hold off on the expansion for story reasons alone.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of those games where learning the combat takes you well within the story, so if you put it down and forget everything and try to come back to it, it can be a mess. It's also highly dependent on this really stupid "gacha" random method of getting "blades" because the affinity of your equipped blades lets you do the combos, and getting most optional blades are through random chance when opening a crystal. You can probably go through the game with basic blades, but the OCD in me wants to only focus on the rare ones.

In any case, there's an easy mode that makes the enemies have way less hit points. The combat can be fun but it can also last a while.

Originally Posted by Noonan
Another great suggestion. Played like a real FF game.

I'll also give a nod to Blue Dragon on 360.
Which I believe is on sale with backwards compatibility right now on the One. I remember finding it super tedious and I still think a modern DQ game would be a better pick up, but maybe I'll give it another go.
Old 05-22-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was considering listing DQ but I feel those are probably too grinding for the OP, based on the comments. They're very "simplistic" in layout but they require a good bit of grinding to keep up.
Old 05-22-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I was considering listing DQ but I feel those are probably too grinding for the OP, based on the comments. They're very "simplistic" in layout but they require a good bit of grinding to keep up.
I’m really looking forward to DQ 11 and Fire Emblem this year on Switch.
Old 05-22-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about 25 hours into DQ11 on PS4 and it's fantastic (if you're a fan of the series).
Old 05-22-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you ever have designs of playing the regular Xenoblade 2 game I'd hold off on the expansion for story reasons alone.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of those games where learning the combat takes you well within the story, so if you put it down and forget everything and try to come back to it, it can be a mess. It's also highly dependent on this really stupid "gacha" random method of getting "blades" because the affinity of your equipped blades lets you do the combos, and getting most optional blades are through random chance when opening a crystal. You can probably go through the game with basic blades, but the OCD in me wants to only focus on the rare ones.
This isn’t exactly making the game sound any more appealing to me. Lol

But let’s say I don’t really care about the story (because I don’t). Would you still recommend the full game over the expansion?
Old 05-22-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper

This isn’t exactly making the game sound any more appealing to me. Lol

But let’s say I don’t really care about the story (because I don’t). Would you still recommend the full game over the expansion?
I haven't personally tackled the expansion yet, but from what I hear the expansion does change and in many ways improve the combat system, so if you absolutely don't care about story starting with Torna is probably the way to go.

But the combat system in the base game isn't bad as long as you are properly equipped and know what you're doing. If not, you'll just be chipping away and dying a lot. It does have a lot of really odd design choices though (for instance, there are food/items you can equip on characters that they will automatically keep eating... there's no way to unequip them, the only thing you can do is equip something else or let it run out). And the constant chatter when battling is probably the worst part. "Think you can take me? Don't forget me!" over and over and over until I finally found the setting to turn it off.

Old 05-23-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Easiest recent ones would be Costume Quest 1 & 2. They're cute but not at all challenging in the least. They were the first ones I had my boy play.

https://youtu.be/7GWbCep4rBg

That's a great idea. Perfect intros.
Old 05-24-19, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

CQ is available for Android. I'll give it a try, thanks!
Old 05-25-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I realized that I really only play my Switch in 10-20 minute bursts, and that’s probably not the best way to get into a Final Fantasy or XC. Ended up with Steam World Quest. It’s fine, scratches the itch I guess.

Thats why why I loved Octopath so much. Small stories that you could easily jump in and out of, with fun combat and a great look.

Slay the Spire comes out in a couple weeks. Think that’ll be another good one for the slower more tactical combat I’m looking for.
Old 05-25-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I am curious if you have checked out Steamworld Quest yet. I think it is a Switch exclusive. I have heard good things about it. It is a card based turn-based RPG. I have really liked all of the previous Steamworld games.

Old 05-25-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am curious if you have checked out Steamworld Quest yet. I think it is a Switch exclusive. I have heard good things about it. It is a card based turn-based RPG. I have really liked all of the previous Steamworld games.

https://youtu.be/ZWcKFzFr5Mc
I bought that. It’s fine, but not blowing my socks off. I haven’t played more than a couple hours of it yet so I’m willing to keep going.
Old 05-26-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

https://youtu.be/ZWcKFzFr5Mc
I don't have a Switch

I DO love card games and I've never tried a card game RPG.

It's hitting steam on 5/31! May have to get it.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-26-19 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-26-19, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I don't have a Switch

I DO love card games and I've never tried a card game RPG.
I was asking Lopper.
If you had a Switch, I would tell you to get Octopath Traveler. It's not super easy but it's not difficult and is an absolute joy to play. Wonderful beautiful game.

Steamworld Quest is a Switch console exclusive but is also on the PC apparently. I will pick it up in the first sale on the Switch. I'm sure it is worth full price but I can wait a bit.
Old 05-26-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both Octopath Traveler and Steamworld Quest are coming out on Steam. I wonder if this will happen with all Switch exclusives.
Old 05-27-19, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Both Octopath Traveler and Steamworld Quest are coming out on Steam. I wonder if this will happen with all Switch exclusives.
It won't for Nintendo titles, but third party ones, probably.