Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Some reviews have started to trickle in....

Gamespot….4/10.... https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gho.../1900-6417330/

Gamereactor….6/10.... https://www.gamereactor.eu/ghost-rec...kpoint-review/

Metacritic...out of 400+ User Scores, average is 2.7.... https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...con-breakpoint
56! That has to be the lowest scoring AAA major-studio sequel release in a while.
Old 10-05-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Great thing about these Ubisoft games is a) they typically support them with regular updates and patches, and b) they'll be $10 in a year.

This game looks perfectly mediocre but they didn't do themselves any favors calling it a Ghost Recon game and making it nearly nothing like Wildlands.
Some of the reviews I read compared it to The Division.

I was looking forward to picking this up but I'll probably wait for a significant price drop.
Old 10-07-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I really wanted to like this game. I even liked the demo pretty well, and I (sadly) pre-ordered the digital version. Spent a fair amount with it this weekend, and it is pretty darn awful. The graphics are decent, an improvement from Wildlands, but a lot of it is just brutal. For example, the screen goes totally black before every cutscene, which is annoying and takes you out of the moment. Also some checkpoints are horrible--got stuck on one where I had to watch an unskippable cutscene 3 times because I died.

And then there is this, as pointed out in the GameSpot review, which I read this morning: "As a result, traversing on foot revolves around spending a lot of time sliding down undulating slopes. This quickly drains your stamina, sending you into an uncontrollable roll that inflicts damage with each nick and bump." That's a nice way to say what I was experiencing: This elite tough guy solider is wholly incapable of walking downhill without wiping out and sliding uncontrollably, thereby losing plenty of health. When it comes to walking down a slope, he's like a 90-year-old with bad knees and no balance. It's beyond ridiculous.

This is also completely true: "Enemies in Breakpoint are mind-numbingly dumb to the point where playing on the highest difficulty doesn't present a significantly harder challenge. Their reaction to a buddy getting shot in front of them is often one of confusion; they'll stand still in the open instead of scurrying for cover." It's laughable, and again totally takes away from the supposed theme of the game.

I could say a lot more, but I'll only add this: The cool "sync shot" aspect of Wildlands is ruined too. You can purchase the skill, which I was initially very glad to see, but instead of a cooldown it's now a "consumable," meaning you have to harvest parts (of drones, or...something?) or else you cannot craft it (and this can only be done from fast travel sites you unlock) or, you know, actually use it. I'm tempted to just delete this now and try forget I ever wasted my money it.
Old 10-07-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well...add another brutal review...PC Gamer - 40/100....https://www.pcgamer.com/ghost-recon-breakpoint-review/

And to add gas to the fire....Metacritic Reviews continue to be horrendous....56 Average of 23 Critic Reviews and a 2.6 Score out of 616 User Reviews.... https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...con-breakpoint

But to be fair, there were some better reviews....

Dualshockers.... 7/10.... https://www.dualshockers.com/ghost-r...w-ps4-xbox-pc/

PlaystationLifestyle.....7.5/10.....https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-ps4/#/slide/1

Last edited by K&AJones; 10-07-19 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Glad I passed. I hope the devs take this as a lesson learned and give us a true sequel to Wildlands.
Old 10-07-19, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With all the work they put in with the Wildlands DLC, Predator, Splinter Cell, etc., I don't know how they didn't go the sequel route. That game hit all the right cords with me.
Old 10-08-19, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
With all the work they put in with the Wildlands DLC, Predator, Splinter Cell, etc., I don't know how they didn't go the sequel route. That game hit all the right cords with me.
Totally agree. I actually played that last night instead of Breakpoint. It is way, way better.
Old 10-08-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reading the official forum...I get the sense this is "Fallout 76 2.0"....where all these great trailers were shown, game was hyped and but ended up dividing the fan base trying to make FO76 into Fallout Fortnite….sadly it's the same with Breakpoint as you're either in the traditional GR Tactical Shooter Camp or in the GR Meets The Division Looter Shooter Camp.

Those who are liking the game point out they love seeing a bit of Division/Destiny Loot Style in the mix, having a player Hub, gear and weapons drop all over the place, a dumb AI....while all that is exactly what is turning off the traditional GR Base...which is exactly what Bethesda did with Fallout 76 putting in PvP and PvE in the same mix....sorry but just like with FO76, Ubisoft with Breakpoint won't be able to please both sides but instead divide the base....

Add another review in the mix....Gameinformer...6/10... https://www.gameinformer.com/review/...oul-of-a-drone

Last edited by K&AJones; 10-08-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eurogamer.....Avoid...https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...bisoft-formula

"A smudge of systems from other Ubisoft games fail to coalesce - and sometimes are plain crippled - in this weak open world shooter"
Old 10-10-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I can't see picking this up even when it's on sale. I know I won't get to it and you couldn't pay me to play The Division 2 anymore.
Old 10-10-19, 11:21 AM

^ I love Division 2. But I can't see myself picking up this until it's dirt cheap and massively patched. Even then I'm not sure I will...
Old 10-15-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In case anyone is interested....

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint's First Post-Launch Patch Addresses Several Well Known Issues.....https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...kpoint-update/

...and still not getting it...
Old 10-16-19, 09:40 AM

In case anyone is interested....

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint's First Post-Launch Patch Addresses Several Well Known Issues.....https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...kpoint-update/

...and still not getting it...
Right. They fixed a lot of bugs, but that's it. Frankly, there shouldn't have been that many bugs to begin with, and none of this even remotely addresses any of the larger issues.
Old 10-16-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

That patch is a joke. The problem they have is the games glaring issues are not bugs and cannot be fixed by patches, they are fundamental choices made for gameplay and design. The only way they could have fixed it was was to delay release and go back to the drawing board. I always wonder why companies feel the need to make release dates. Sure i get that the holidays are coming up, but if you release a piece of shit and no one buys it, what difference does it make what time of year you release it.

The only way Breakpoint can ever be released to success at this point is if they overhaul the entire game and re-release a remastered version for the PS5. But to have that done in 12 months would be an impossible task.

I am personally sick and tired of games companies being lazy in their production, pushing micro-transactions and putting on show reels that are blatant lies to the general public. When they do this, they deserve to have huge loses as a result.
Old 10-24-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know how to respond to this as if they are shocked.... Ghost Recon: breakpoint Sales Have Been 'Very Disappointing", says Ubisoft.... Ghost Recon: Breakpoint Sales Have Been 'Very Disappointing', Says Ubisoft - Push Square

Ubisoft expected the recently released Ghost Recon: Breakpoint to perform better than it has done. We don't have any clear figures to work with, but in the company's latest financial report, Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot says that "critical reception and sales during the game's first weeks were very disappointing".
Old 10-25-19, 09:41 AM

I don't know how to respond to this as if they are shocked.... Ghost Recon: breakpoint Sales Have Been 'Very Disappointing", says Ubisoft.... Ghost Recon: Breakpoint Sales Have Been 'Very Disappointing', Says Ubisoft - Push Square

Ubisoft expected the recently released Ghost Recon: Breakpoint to perform better than it has done. We don't have any clear figures to work with, but in the company's latest financial report, Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot says that "critical reception and sales during the game's first weeks were very disappointing".
Huh. Maybe this will send a message to Ubisoft. Or not. Actually tried playing this again last night, and it's just so bad. I keep trying to make myself like it, esp. since I was dumb enough to keep my digital preorder. But it sucks. The word "cumbersome" comes to mind--the menus, trying to get around, trying to craft BS consumable items. I think it's just time to move on.
Old 10-25-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I grabbed The Outer Worlds last night.....yet to play......but I looked at a YouTube video on The First 20 Minutes of Story Mode COD; Modern Warfare...and I was impressed. That looked really good. I haven't seen or read much into that since it was mainly geared toward the PvP part but they added the Story and also this Spec Ops with coop in mind. I've got some friends here at work that are big into the COD and got this and they said they'll do some looking and get me the details on the Story and the Spec Ops which for PS4 owners is also to get a Spec Ops Survival...like a Horde/Defend Mode. But if anyone is interested...Warfare looks impressive...

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WgFkLW12j84" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-25-19, 10:56 AM

There's a thread for that
Old 10-26-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thia game reminds me of when they released Far Cry 2 and it had the mechanics for guns Breaking down and having to constantly inject yourself to stop malaria from killing you. In theory they are both interesting ideas, and if you had the ability to switch them on/off it would have been great. But to have them on the game and have to be dealt with turned a lot of people off. Breakpoint takes these ideas and expands upon them, slowing the game down and making it cumbersome. Like how RDR2 shows a long animation for skinning an animal instead of keeping it short and succinct. People want action games to move at a good pace and slowing it down for irrelevant shit is never a good way to go. The menu systems in thsmis game are quite possible the worst I have ever seen. Just a mess of a design that runs any fun as far as I see it. Whoever designed them needs to be fired as they have no idea what the hell they are doing. Finally, the lack of people in this game really hurts it. They used a story excuse to make it an empty sandbox, but thay only hurts the experience. Makes it feel like a game world and not akin to a real breathing world. Lazy game design.

I hope they learn their lesson for a next gen follow up that gives us a true sequel to Wildlands, but games companies seem to all too often have their heads up their arses. So I wont count on it.
Old 10-26-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm glad I didn't buy this. I can walk over to the neighbor's yard and get a dog turd for free.
Old 11-04-19, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a
Thia game reminds me of when they released Far Cry 2 and it had the mechanics for guns Breaking down and having to constantly inject yourself to stop malaria from killing you. In theory they are both interesting ideas, and if you had the ability to switch them on/off it would have been great. But to have them on the game and have to be dealt with turned a lot of people off. Breakpoint takes these ideas and expands upon them, slowing the game down and making it cumbersome. Like how RDR2 shows a long animation for skinning an animal instead of keeping it short and succinct. People want action games to move at a good pace and slowing it down for irrelevant shit is never a good way to go. The menu systems in thsmis game are quite possible the worst I have ever seen. Just a mess of a design that runs any fun as far as I see it. Whoever designed them needs to be fired as they have no idea what the hell they are doing. Finally, the lack of people in this game really hurts it. They used a story excuse to make it an empty sandbox, but thay only hurts the experience. Makes it feel like a game world and not akin to a real breathing world. Lazy game design.

I hope they learn their lesson for a next gen follow up that gives us a true sequel to Wildlands, but games companies seem to all too often have their heads up their arses. So I wont count on it.
This really does sum it up. Started the new CoD, which stands in stark contract to the Wildlands debacle.
Old 11-05-19, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far with GR: Breakpoint, the parallel with it and Fallot76 is striking...sadly.....both games highly anticipated, both with excellent trailers & footage, both with tons of hype....and both were a utter disaster within the first week of release that split their community and fan base.

Not sure what they can do and can be don but they say they're looking at "fixing it"....just don't know how long, if it can be done and players will want to come back months and months later... https://www.gameplanet.com.au/playst...back-on-track/
Old 11-06-19, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If this game is on sale for $20 during Black Friday then i will pick it up in the hopes that over the next 12-18 months they fix it and its finally playable (as much as it could be at this stage anyway). Adding AI team mates is a step in the right direction, but there is soooooooo much that still needs to be done. I still cannot get over how bad the SFX are in this game. Truly pathetic, especially after playing something like Modern Warfare where the sound is superb. These games are centered on the run and gun aspects, so to not give some TLC to those aspects is mind boggling in its stupidity.
Old 11-06-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure if even $20 would pull me in......I have 2-3 friends playing and telling me it's settled down, not as bad, got kind of use to it.....but there's still a lot out there who is ticked and I doubt they'll come back. It's not just the bugs and all...it's just how the whole game turned out. It might take awhile and good luck to Ubisoft but they dug this hole themselves trying to make some game with parts & pieces from 2-4 other games that don't belong in the Ghost Recon Universe.....if it boils down to seeing GR: Breakpoint and COD: Modern Warfare on sale...I'll take COD even though it has a short campaign and all but it's actually gone back to being COD whereas GR:Breakpoint distanced itself further from Ghost Recon......besides I'll probably be in Jedi Fallen Order....
Old 11-06-19, 09:14 AM

So far with GR: Breakpoint, the parallel with it and Fallot76 is striking...sadly.....both games highly anticipated, both with excellent trailers & footage, both with tons of hype....and both were a utter disaster within the first week of release that split their community and fan base.

Not sure what they can do and can be done but they say they're looking at "fixing it"....just don't know how long, if it can be done and players will want to come back months and months later... https://www.gameplanet.com.au/playst...back-on-track/
I appreciate Ubisoft taking some responsibility and realizing who far off the mark this was, but I do wonder about them saying they are "aware that some of the design choices made have caused polarized reactions and discussions regarding the direction taken by the Ghost Recon franchise."

"Polarized reactions" makes it seems like some people really loved the game while others, in contrast, were displeased. Not sure that's the case. I almost deleted the game entirely, but as long as I have space I'll leave it in hopes there are some major changes. Honestly right now I can't even bring myself to open it, even in my most bored moments, but I do know I will never, ever buy another such game at launch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.