DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/647599-tom-clancys-ghost-recon-breakpoint.html)

Rob V 09-09-19 01:43 PM

Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 13605395)
I still need to do Fallen Ghosts....

Same... and I'm so glad I still do. There are about 95% negative comments at the Ubi forums and normally I'd ignore them and get the game anyways. I canceled and might still pick it up on the cheap but regardless, loot boxes and upgrading my hat isn't my idea of what this game should be.

The devs were interviewed and they commented that most players primarily used one gun when playing Wildlands. They stated that they're trying to expose the player to all different types of guns in Breakpoint... dude, we used one type of gun because that's the gun we wanted to use... that's kinda how a more realistic situation might be. This game wants you to take drinks of water or rest at a campfire... but you gotta change your hat or shin guards in order to be more effective against a buff enemy? Come on!

This was literally my most anticipated game of 2019 and I canceled it :(

mattysemo247 09-09-19 01:45 PM

I'm also passing for the time being (and this is coming from someone with over 50 hours in Wildlands)

K&AJones 09-09-19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13605411)
Same... and I'm so glad I still do. There are about 95% negative comments at the Ubi forums and normally I'd ignore them and get the game anyways. I canceled and might still pick it up on the cheap but regardless, loot boxes and upgrading my hat isn't my idea of what this game should be.

The devs were interviewed and they commented that most players primarily used one gun when playing Wildlands. They stated that they're trying to expose the player to all different types of guns in Breakpoint... dude, we used one type of gun because that's the gun we wanted to use... that's kinda how a more realistic situation might be. This game wants you to take drinks of water or rest at a campfire... but you gotta change your hat or shin guards in order to be more effective against a buff enemy? Come on!

This was literally my most anticipated game of 2019 and I canceled it :(

There's a lot in the game(Beta) that has left some really scratching their heads...some say it's The Division 2.5...some say it's Wild Division....in any case quite a few don't like how the Beta is in regards to the Ghost Recon series....

I remember seeing that article about the guns and wanting to "expose more" to players.....but I've seen some who played the Beta and they stuck with a couple they liked and trashed the rest...it didn't change a thing. Just can upgrade them but that's another area to where can you keep some low level gun, upgrade it and still will do the same damage as the Devs claim?...if so then why have all these different levels of guns?

And as to the 'Water & Food Bit"...the two I was playing with said they found it it doesn't have a thing to do during normal gameplay...it's the Food & Drink Buff you can choose around the Campfire that last 20-30 minutes"....we kept looking for a gage or something that would tell us you need a Drink or Snack....no such thing.

Players don't like the Player Hub...you're either alone or with a few others with hardly anything and have to "Survive"...only to find yourself at some Party Hub with 12-16 other Ghosts...yea that's real for you...

I actually came close to going back into The Division 2...I did like it and the way it played...the Loot System works there because it's Urban Warfare...not Ghost Warfare

dsa_shea 09-09-19 07:24 PM

Even the Division 2 grows tiring with the huge number of exactly alike enemies that spawn around the map and the feeling that you should constantly be upgrading your weapons and gear. Ghost Recon should not be like this.

K&AJones 09-10-19 10:25 AM

Well...some on the board have started mentioning going to other games and one old topic popped up....COD Modern Warfare especially with some news about the inclusion of "Spec Ops"....from some of the threads, the PvP weren't happy either which has them looking elsewhere too. I'm not really big on the PvP side though I'll dabble in it and have with past COD games...I much prefer the single and coop stuff...including Survival, Horde and Zombie stuff.......might give it a look..Interesting video on What's Wrong With Breakpoint....

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HBj-5ZufUFw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

uteotw 09-10-19 10:59 AM

I enjoyed the beta and am keeping my preorder. I liked The Division 2 and Wildlands for different reasons, and even though I'll probably be deep into Borderlands 3 when this comes out, I know I'll still play it for some variety.

james2025a 09-11-19 10:26 AM

I cancelled my pre-order. The Beta is very close to release date and there is no way in hell they can right this ship in time. Maybe in 12 months with many updates and patches they can get together a better game, but as it stands its horrible. The fun and action of Wildlands is totally missing.

Rob V 09-11-19 10:33 AM

I could have probably overlooked a lot of TD2 features if they would have given us an "offline" mode where we directed 3 other ghosts.

mattysemo247 09-11-19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a (Post 13606408)
I cancelled my pre-order. The Beta is very close to release date and there is no way in hell they can right this ship in time. Maybe in 12 months with many updates and patches they can get together a better game, but as it stands its horrible. The fun and action of Wildlands is totally missing.

No doubt, Ubisoft usually sticks with their games and continues to update them. Rainbow 6 Siege and For Honor had similar issues when they launched and they were able to turn those around with time. The unfortunate part is a year after this release we will be close (if not already) in new console territory.

gerrythedon 09-11-19 10:50 PM

FYI, Amazon has the regular version for $49.94 and Prime members also get $10 credit

Prime Savings Prime Members eligible for $10 credit.
Prime Savings Prime members will receive $10 promotional credit when they pre-order this item. Credit will be sent 30-35 days after the game is shipped or digitally delivered.

Rob V 09-12-19 06:58 AM

Still not going to pull the trigger... I have a feeling this will be $20 on Black Friday. I have enough to keep me busy until then.

Decker 09-12-19 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13606826)
Still not going to pull the trigger... I have a feeling this will be $20 on Black Friday. I have enough to keep me busy until then.

Zero chance. Not on this Black Friday. Maybe $35, possibly $30 if it bombs. But $20 for a 6 week old game? No way, will not happen.

james2025a 09-12-19 12:26 PM

I will pick the game up when the price lowers and they get their shit together. But having the Gold Edition pre-ordered and for $109 plus tax. No goddam way. I am still in disbelief that they took something that should have been so clear cut and made it so broken. Those gun and vehicle sound effects and how weak they were immediately made me think of a few other sandbox sequels that promised a lot and were released totally lacking in every respect.

The one glimmer on the horizon is if they got their shit together and said, ok we have the PS% around the corner. Lets take that time to whip this into the shape it needs and give everyone what they wanted as one of the opening next gen titles. That would get me interested again, but the state its in right now. Not a chance in hell.

And i see the base game going for around $30 on Black Friday, but i won't even get it for that.

K&AJones 09-12-19 01:22 PM

Not a bad video from Gamespot...covers both sides…..Ghost Recon Breakpoint Isn't What You Think.....https://www.gamespot.com/videos/ghos.../2300-6450852/

This one has got a lot of views and just funny.....

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Go1NfX0pEr0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rob V 09-12-19 02:30 PM

That video is great... for many reasons that aren't just Breakpoint analysis.

K&AJones 09-24-19 08:05 AM

Well...take as you want but looks like it's coming.....Ghost Recon: breakpoint Will Have A Battle Pass, Time Savers and Microtransactions..... Ghost Recon: Breakpoint Has a Battle Pass, Time Savers, and Microtransactions - Push Square

Some friends told me there is another Beta this week and supposedly Ubisoft listened to the complaints and fixed a lot of the stuff...but don't think some of the main issues...like the Gear leveling and Grind part is changing or going away, especially with the above . Stioll not getting it day One, Week One or Even Month One.....sadly I think this is going to have some "Fallout"...but maybe not as extreme as Fallout 76 had when they changed the core of that game to include Open World w/PvP & PvE in the mix. Still hearing from the die hard GR players that Breakpoint went backwards from Wildlands and not forward....

james2025a 09-26-19 11:07 AM

I am gonna give the open Beta another shot today, but do not expect much. There was just far too much wrong with this game a few weeks ago for them to be able to address everything prior to release. It requires several months more work to get it somewhere closer to where it needs to be. I actually believe that its impossible to ever get to where it needs to be as its veered too far of course from what made Wildlands so damn fun to play. I will keep my eye on it, but i still stand by my decision to get this when its a serious price drop. Such a shame as it promised so much and failed to deliver on almost every aspect.

K&AJones 09-27-19 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a (Post 13614020)
I am gonna give the open Beta another shot today, but do not expect much. There was just far too much wrong with this game a few weeks ago for them to be able to address everything prior to release. It requires several months more work to get it somewhere closer to where it needs to be. I actually believe that its impossible to ever get to where it needs to be as its veered too far of course from what made Wildlands so damn fun to play. I will keep my eye on it, but i still stand by my decision to get this when its a serious price drop. Such a shame as it promised so much and failed to deliver on almost every aspect.

Will like to hear your take...I'm not playing it no matter what but two friends still getting it are. Like you I feel the game is not in line with Wildlands but more like a cross between Division 2 & Wildlands. It just didn't click with me playing the beta and cancelled my PO. What they did rtrying to infuse what worked in another game into the GR: Breakpoint was a serious mistake....sort of like Bethesda did with Fallout 76 trying to make it into Fallout 4 w/ Fortnight. Like to see where this game will be in 1-3 months from now. I might take my refund funds and get The Outer Worlds or just wait and save for Black Friday....I bet GR: Breakpoint will be on sale by then for $39....

james2025a 09-29-19 06:10 AM

Well I tried it again and I see minor improvements, but as far as I see it, at this point it's impossible for them to change it enough to make it the game it was supposed to be. The decisions they have made in this game baffle me. Whereas Wildlands was fast and exhilarating, this feels slow and ponderous. The menu systems are still a disaster and I cannot for the life of me see any need for the game to require to always be online and that Hub area is just stupid. Your character is supposed to be alone behind enemy lines but go to the Hub and you will interact with 40 other people. Stupid. There should always have been the option as well to have you be able to play alone or with 3 AI team mates. The teammates wasere handled really well in Wildlands, and I would appreciate the option of playing with or without. Not here, unless in coop.

Oh, and I find the landscape highly uninspired. One aspect I tend to relish in sandbox games is exploring the worlds. This one feels empty and repetitive. Seen a hundred times in other games.

I am REALLY glad I cancelled my preorder. I will get the game at some point when it's cheap and its had a great deal of work out into it, but i will not consider this a sequel to Wildlands. If they have any sense for any subsequent game they will address all this shit and go back to basics. Wildlands has managed to maintain an generally good selling point, this will drop fast. I don't think it will be that much of a sale by Black Friday, but by New Year I expect it will have come down to maybe $40. I am curious to know how many people have cancelled their preorders as it seems a huge amount.

K&AJones 09-29-19 08:33 AM

Thanks for the update...I glance over at the official board and frankly it's been quite compared to the first Beta. There's topics and replies but it's seems far less than before. Some might have made up their mind, some didn't want to replay the same part, some are playing other stuff that has come out. I don't wish bad tidings on any game but I think this will have somewhat close to the same response as fans of the Fallout series had with Fallout 76...that was near a major uprising with Pitchforks & Torches. I do believe the die-hard GR players or at least a good chuck of them won't be getting it based on a lot I read.....they're not happy with several points in the game from the landscape, The Wolves, Gear Selection, Loot System, the lack of real healing and use of resources, several of the guns and absolutely hate the HUB not to mention the mircro-transactions with some crazy looking outfits...one claims to have seen some just stupid ones...clown outfits to pink camo....

I know the first time several mentioned taking a look at COD again...new destiny is here, Borderlands 3 got released, Death Stranding is around the corner and The Outer Worlds is a few weeks away. But agree I bet the game will be $39 at Black Friday. Shame because all the trailers looked so good and promising....but after I played the first beta for one day, I looked into how to cancel the pre-order and my two friends were somewhat stunned...one is now almost regretting they didn't do the same now. It didn't click in no-way near to what I experienced in Wildlands. I guess we'll see how this game evolves down the road.

Maxflier 09-29-19 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a (Post 13615398)
I am curious to know how many people have cancelled their preorders as it seems a huge amount.

I never actually had it pre-ordered, but having enjoyed what I played of Wildlands, I was sold on this game from the first trailer. That changed the instant I heard a comparison to The Division (a game I loathed) and will not be buying the game at all now.

mattysemo247 10-03-19 03:55 PM

So Best Buy and Amazon both have this for $50 and it comes out tomorrow. At BB with GCU you are at $40 and it comes with the $10 reward zone certificate if you preorder today. I'm starting to think they don't have much faith in this release if they are dropping the price before release, but I guess we'll see.

K&AJones 10-03-19 04:27 PM

I've hit the official forums to read what some are saying...and it's close to what went on with Fallout 76 where there's no-in-the-middle...you either don't like it and on one side or like it and on the other side. So far it's almost been 50/50 but seems the "This is not GR" crowd might have the edge....most seem to be in the HC side and veterans of GR games of past....

Almost no reviews up but did find one at PushSquare...6/10...Ghost Recon: Breakpoint Review (PS4) | Push Square

...other than that, there's no real other reviews from the normal sites. I've seen a few with..."Review in progress" which to me tends to signal a Red Flag.....I'll have to rad the comments on the main forum though with the recent price cut announcement. I can remember the price cut of Fallout 76 just 2-3 weeks after release and people were livid over that.

K&AJones 10-05-19 08:51 AM

Some reviews have started to trickle in....

Gamespot….4/10.... https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gho.../1900-6417330/

Gamereactor….6/10.... https://www.gamereactor.eu/ghost-rec...kpoint-review/

Metacritic...out of 400+ User Scores, average is 2.7.... https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...con-breakpoint

lopper 10-05-19 12:12 PM

Great thing about these Ubisoft games is a) they typically support them with regular updates and patches, and b) they'll be $10 in a year.

This game looks perfectly mediocre but they didn't do themselves any favors calling it a Ghost Recon game and making it nearly nothing like Wildlands.