Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Old 11-24-19, 07:27 AM
  #101  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,389
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Amazon has priced matched also
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-24-19, 12:57 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,148
Received 734 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Never picked this up so I think I’ll grab it. Glad I waited.
Old 11-27-19, 09:25 AM
  #103  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 38,566
Received 1,102 Likes on 859 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Ha, now I wish I waited a couple of days.

$45 as deal of the day on Amazon and Gamestop.
Old 11-27-19, 09:30 AM
  #104  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 16,489
Received 434 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

At that price, this thing is a steal. I don't regret paying full price at launch one bit.
Old 03-22-20, 07:37 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 69,915
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sega-ge...86&mpid=159047

Currently on sale at Best Buy for $39.99 for those who have yet to pick it up.

If you're going to be home a lot during these crazy times, this is a very good time killer.
Old 03-23-20, 09:01 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,018
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

I hacked mine over the weekend. At this point I’ve hacked all my minis and use them more this way than when they were new.
Old 03-23-20, 12:12 PM
  #107  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 16,719
Received 920 Likes on 696 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

It's back up to 59

I can't bring myself to grab this one, I love the NES and SNES ones, I just don't have time to really play them.

I kinda wanted the Neo Geo one, but the reviews weren't great.

The only other one I really want is the TG16 one and that's going to be delayed.
Old 06-02-20, 03:03 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,956
Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Just received my order of this from BB (for $40!), and for me, it's worth it just for Willy Wars!

But I'm mostly excited to mod it soon and add over 100 additional games; some missing favorites, and some obscure Japanese games I never had a chance to try.
Old 06-03-20, 11:57 AM
  #109  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,148
Received 734 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

So not sure if this is really worth a new thread so I’ll post it here. Sega announced that they’re releasing Game Gear Micro’s. Only announced for Japan though so not sure if they’ll arrive in the US or not.

Kind of odd how they’re doing them though. They’ll be available in different colors with different games and each only has four games. Also the screen size is really tiny (around 3.15” wide and around 1.7” tall). In a way it would be cool to have one as a novelty item, but I don’t know if I’ll get one.

The colors being released and games:

Black:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Puyo Puyo 2
OutRun
Royal Stone

Blue:
Sonic & Tails
Gunstar Heroes
Sylvan Tale
Baku Baku Animal

Yellow:
Shining Force Gaiden
Shining Force Gaiden 2
Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict
Nazo Puyo Arle no Roux

Red:
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special
The GG Shinobi
Columns

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/3/212...te-price-games


Old 06-03-20, 12:02 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 38,566
Received 1,102 Likes on 859 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
So not sure if this is really worth a new thread so I’ll post it here. Sega announced that they’re releasing Game Gear Micro’s. Only announced for Japan though so not sure if they’ll arrive in the US or not.

Kind of odd how they’re doing them though. They’ll be available in different colors with different games and each only has four games. Also the screen size is really tiny (around 3.15” wide and around 1.7” tall). In a way it would be cool to have one as a novelty item, but I don’t know if I’ll get one.

The colors being released and games:

Black:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Puyo Puyo 2
OutRun
Royal Stone

Blue:
Sonic & Tails
Gunstar Heroes
Sylvan Tale
Baku Baku Animal

Yellow:
Shining Force Gaiden
Shining Force Gaiden 2
Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict
Nazo Puyo Arle no Roux

Red:
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special
The GG Shinobi
Columns

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/3/212...te-price-games
The screen size is one thing, but how would you even play it? It's smaller than a gameboy micro.
Old 06-03-20, 12:04 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 16,489
Received 434 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Pass. I can't imagine they'll be able to sell many in NA.
Old 06-03-20, 12:08 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,148
Received 734 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The screen size is one thing, but how would you even play it? It's smaller than a gameboy micro.
Yeah. I’m not really sure what the thought process for it is. It’s way tiny and almost seems more like a display piece versus something you’d actually play. It would be cool if it was bigger and easier to play. Plus four games isn’t much at all.

I actually wish Nintendo would consider a GameBoy classic or mini, but done in a way that’s more practical for play purposes.

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Pass. I can't imagine they'll be able to sell many in NA.
Well it’s not announced for North America yet. Unless that changes. So far it’s a Japan only release.

Old 06-03-20, 12:19 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 38,566
Received 1,102 Likes on 859 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

For handhelds, they don't even have to make them mini, just put a bunch of games on them. I would buy a Gameboy and a Gameboy Advance Classic. I would definitely buy a Turbo Express (they could even make that mini, since that thing was huge) Heck, I would buy a Gamegear Classic if it wasn't micro sized.

I don't even think the Shining Force Gaiden or the Megami Tensai Gaiden games were released in the US, so no way are they going to do translations of them (which makes it even more insane that they're releasing text-heavy games for this thing). Maybe they release a US version with the two Sonic games, outrun and Columns/gunstar heroes/shinobi but I doubt it'll sell all that well.
Old 06-03-20, 12:31 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,389
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
For handhelds, they don't even have to make them mini, just put a bunch of games on them. I would buy a Gameboy and a Gameboy Advance Classic. I would definitely buy a Turbo Express (they could even make that mini, since that thing was huge) Heck, I would buy a Gamegear Classic if it wasn't micro sized.
How about Lynx reissue with wireless connectivity and network games like Checkered Flag, Warbirds, and arcade ports like Klax, APB, Qix, Rampage, Ninja Gaiden etc. That's wishful thinking


The following users liked this post:
Trevor (06-03-20)
Old 06-03-20, 12:49 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 38,566
Received 1,102 Likes on 859 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
How about Lynx reissue with wireless connectivity and network games like Checkered Flag, Warbirds, and arcade ports like Klax, APB, Qix, Rampage, Ninja Gaiden etc. That's wishful thinking
I never owned a lynx but my friend did and I always wanted one. I didn't include it because atari is pretty much dead (not really, but might as well be) and there's no way they'd license the good games for a re-release. Like I'd buy it with slime world
Old 06-03-20, 01:58 PM
  #116  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,181
Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I never owned a lynx but my friend did and I always wanted one. I didn't include it because atari is pretty much dead (not really, but might as well be) and there's no way they'd license the good games for a re-release. Like I'd buy it with slime world
Slime World was a ton of fun, single and multi player.
Old 06-03-20, 02:29 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,389
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

The Lynx was way ahead of its time graphically compared to the original Gameboy at the time, and even the NES. Plus the fact that you could network 4 (maybe 8) systems together for multiplayer. Rampart was another arcade port that I loved on that system.
Old 06-03-20, 07:47 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 7,590
Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

I got my mini way back in January with one of those tru blue mini things

Amazon Amazon

Pretty cool it has like 800 genesis games even has all regions game sets of the mini, North America, Asia and Europe

Last edited by Deadman31; 06-03-20 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 08:14 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 7,590
Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Sorry, 4 regions. NA, Europe, Asia and Japan
Old 08-23-20, 10:47 AM
  #120  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 61,654
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,034 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

The Sega Genesis Mini is now on sale for
$31.93 $31.93
at Amazon. That was a price that I couldn’t pass on.
Old 08-23-20, 11:22 AM
  #121  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,956
Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Great resource for modding your Genesis mini...

https://modmyclassic.com/2020/06/23/...1-update-news/
Old 08-24-20, 12:06 AM
  #122  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 8,525
Received 520 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The Sega Genesis Mini is now on sale for $31.93 at Amazon. That was a price that I couldn’t pass on.
Yeah me too. Close enough to my $30 threshold. Not sure how much I'll play it but should be good to play with my 8 y.o. to introduce her to Sonic.
Old 08-24-20, 05:30 PM
  #123  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,683
Received 632 Likes on 443 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

It was on sale for $40 about a month ago so I bit then. Also bought the wireless controller to go with which is solid.

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Great resource for modding your Genesis mini...

https://modmyclassic.com/2020/06/23/...1-update-news/
As someone who never had a Sega console (until Dreamcast), outside of the games it comes with, what games should I load it with?
Old 08-24-20, 07:22 PM
  #124  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,956
Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
As someone who never had a Sega console (until Dreamcast), outside of the games it comes with, what games should I load it with?
This is a pretty solid list...

The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 10:02 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,135
Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
It was on sale for $40 about a month ago so I bit then. Also bought the wireless controller to go with which is solid.



As someone who never had a Sega console (until Dreamcast), outside of the games it comes with, what games should I load it with?
1.X-Men Il Clone Wars (Caution: This game will drop you into action after booting the system) Later in the game, you have the option to play as Magneto.
2.The Adventures of Batman And Robin (This game will kick your ass with nonstop crazy!)
3.Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Even though his name was scratched, Michael Jackson had some input with the score)
4.Sonic And Knuckles
5.Batman (89)
6.Ghostbusters
7.Toy Story
8.Aladdin
​9.EarthWorm Jim 2
10.Mortal Kombat(The game that sparked the infamous video game violence debate)

These are just some of the games that proves Sega does what nintendon't!



Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.