DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/647241-sega-genesis-mini-coming-9-19-19-%2480.html)

starseed1981 06-04-19 10:36 AM

Re: Sega Genesis Mini coming 9/19/19 for $80

This is a no brainer at this point. I'm happy to spend $80 on it.

Draven 06-04-19 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13560147)
This is a no brainer at this point. I'm happy to spend $80 on it.

Agreed. They really hit a lot of the highlights.

lwhy? 06-04-19 01:46 PM

Mortal Kombat II is the one game that I'm going to really miss on this. I played it with friends back in my elementary and middle school days. I have had this pre-ordered for awhile and I can't wait to add it to mini collection.

Mike86 06-04-19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13560247)
Mortal Kombat II is the one game that I'm going to really miss on this. I played it with friends back in my elementary and middle school days. I have had this pre-ordered for awhile and I can't wait to add it to mini collection.

Yeah, I’d have swapped Street Fighter II for Mortal Kombat II personally. Just because Street Fighter II is available so many ways including the SNES Classic plus various compilations. I suppose you could say that Mortal Kombat has been released on previous Genesis mini’s done by AT Games though. Still though I feel like the Mortal Kombat series was the definitive fighting series on the Genesis.

SmackDaddy 06-04-19 04:07 PM

I was trying to resist, but Eternal Champions is one of my all time favorites...

joeblow69 06-04-19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 13560311)
I was trying to resist, but Eternal Champions is one of my all time favorites...

I was working at Kay Bee Toys when Eternal Champions came out (right around the same time as the Genesis port of Street Fighter 2). SF2 carts were always in low supply, so corporate told us to try to get people who come in looking to buy SF2 to buy Eternal Champions instead. So I did, frequently. Some lady came back after xmas telling me that I ruined her sons xmas morning, because he was SURE that he was getting SF2, but I had convinced her to get Eternal Champions instead. He HATED it. :(

kefrank 06-15-19 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Music (Post 13525783)
The good thing about the mini is that it supposedly has an actual cartridge port so you can use any games you still have.

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 13526269)
The box does say it has a cartridge slot, which makes it much more compelling IMO. If it also supported original controllers, I'd really be interested, so I could use my Arcade Power Stick.

Everything I'm seeing about this now suggests the cartridge slot is just cosmetic. If that's the case, this is much less compelling to me. Anyone have confirmation of anything different?

RichC2 06-15-19 11:20 AM

I haven't read anything to suggest that it has a functioning cartridge slot :shrug:

Mike86 06-15-19 02:05 PM

This doesn’t have a cartridge slot. I think there was one that did (one of the AT Games releases if I recall). These mini systems typically don’t include the actual cartridge slots or disc readers. Doing that would probably result in a higher price.

kefrank 06-15-19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13565664)
I haven't read anything to suggest that it has a functioning cartridge slot :shrug:

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13565707)
This doesn’t have a cartridge slot. I think there was one that did (one of the AT Games releases if I recall). These mini systems typically don’t include the actual cartridge slots or disc readers. Doing that would probably result in a higher price.

I thought it was far-fetched when Music posted that rumor originally, but at the time I did a search to see if I could find any indication of it and versions of the box art at that time on retailer websites definitely said something along the lines of "Includes cartridge slot!" That still didn't necessarily mean it was a working cartridge slot, but it was enough to fuel reasonable speculation.

majorjoe23 06-16-19 04:18 AM

In one of the hands-on E3 videos they said the cartridge slot does open, but it doesn’t have any connectors and it’s too small for a cartridge.

DJariya 08-14-19 09:30 PM

So is anyone picking this up next month?

I watched a few YouTube demo and unboxing videos and it looks pretty good. The buzz so far has been positive unlike the PS Classic disaster.

Here's an unboxing and demo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vAAqqxdt9ck" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The interface looks really good. I might hold off and ask for this for my birthday in October.

lwhy? 08-14-19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13593698)
So is anyone picking this up next month?.

I preordered it on Amazon back in April. I hope it ships and doesn't end up on backorder. I also bought the Sega Genesis Classics Collection for ps4 last week. It was on sale for $17. They each have different games and I'm excited to add the mini to my collection with my nes and snes mini.

fujishig 08-14-19 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13525533)
The thing about the NES and SNES classics were not only the perceived rarity, but also the fact that there weren't 20 iterations of standalone systems that played these games. The subpar Genesis "50 games in one" systems have been out for years and years clogging up shelves, they'll have to pull out some real gems (like Herzog Zwei, which may have even been on some of these) to get traction here.

Now give me a Saturn or Dreamcast, systems that most people probably haven't played all the games, and now we're talking.

I almost made this exact post again. I'm all in on the Turbographx 16 mini, but I'm still undecided on the Genesis mini despite the Genesis being one of my favorite consoles. The sega ages and the recent Genesis collection are probably enough to satisfy the itch, there's just not enough obscure titles that haven't been released before. Like I'm not sure how it holds up but I wouldn't mind stuff like Revenge of Shinobi, moonwalker (which would never happen), Batman,some of the Disney games that were completely different from the SNES ones, Herzog Zwei, Phantasy Star 2 and 3, aero blasters etc. In some ways it probably had too many good games to include on a collection.

Mike86 08-15-19 09:26 AM

I have it pre-ordered. From the video it looks like a nice unit and will compliment the NES and SNES Classics nicely. The game list to me is a bit hit or miss, but there are things on it that I haven’t played and are expensive to purchase physical cartridges that make me think it’s worth it.

astrochimp 08-18-19 07:05 PM

Seeing him unbox that, I really want one. I think they just look so cool. Not sure how much I'd play it, but they have a done a great job making it mini.

fujishig 09-18-19 11:21 AM

This comes out tomorrow.

Sega apparently sent out press kits that came with a fake "tower" including plastic add ons for the Sega CD and 32x and a sonic "cartridge" and now I want that version instead. Someone opened it up and there's a printout of the actual sega cd circuitboard inside. I have no idea why they'd go through the trouble of making these and then not selling them as even a special edition or something.

Noonan 09-18-19 11:34 AM

My Amazon pre order hasn't shipped and says it'll arrive on the 23rd. Maybe I missed out on the first batch?

Mike86 09-18-19 11:46 AM

I cancelled my pre-order for now. Might see if someone will gift it to me for my birthday or Christmas. I wouldn’t mind having it but as much as I like the Genesis it really isn’t a must have. I have a lot of the original games already and also compilations that include a lot of what’s on here.

lwhy? 09-18-19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13609832)
My Amazon pre order hasn't shipped and says it'll arrive on the 23rd. Maybe I missed out on the first batch?

Mine is the same way. They have charged my credit card though. I hope it'll be here on Monday.

Noonan 09-18-19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13609894)
Mine is the same way. They have charged my credit card though. I hope it'll be here on Monday.

I actually just complained via their online chat. I basically said I pre-ordered so I'd have it on launch day; not have it ship out on launch day. It's not a case of having to wait for a 2nd shipment.

They can't cancel the order so I told them I would just refuse delivery on Monday and take a full refund. Apparently they're going to try to get it to me tomorrow so they don't lose the order. We'll see....

lwhy? 09-18-19 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13609896)
I actually just complained via their online chat. I basically said I pre-ordered so I'd have it on launch day; not have it ship out on launch day. It's not a case of having to wait for a 2nd shipment.

They can't cancel the order so I told them I would just refuse delivery on Monday and take a full refund. Apparently they're going to try to get it to me tomorrow so they don't lose the order. We'll see....

It's annoying, but I'm not in any hurry. I preordered it, because I wanted to make sure I get one. If I don't get one, I'm going to raise hell with customer service.

Noonan 09-18-19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13609900)
It's annoying, but I'm not in any hurry. I preordered it, because I wanted to make sure I get one. If I don't get one, I'm going to raise hell with customer service.

I'm not really in a hurry either but it didn't take much to do their online chat. Just said that when I pre-order something months in advance, I expect to receive it on its launch day, which is true. When I pre-order games through them, they arrive on the release day; this should be no different.

My Switch Lite/Zelda pre-order is properly set to arrive on Fri, not ship out Fri to arrive next week.

Boba Fett 09-18-19 08:44 PM

Damn, was killing some time in a WalMart before a movie last night and saw a shelf of these on sale. Didn't realize they weren't officially out yet.

majorjoe23 09-18-19 11:22 PM

Mine just shipped from Amazon. Despite picking no-rush shipping, Amazon says it will be here Friday.