DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Google Stadia (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/647133-google-stadia.html)

Deftones 03-19-19 12:40 PM

Google Stadia

Basically a box to stream games. Info just coming out now during the presser.

stingermck 03-19-19 12:58 PM

Re: Google Stadia

Google announces Stadia, its streaming game platform, in an effort to upend the $140 billion video game industry
  • Google unveiled its Stadia game platform on Tuesday.
  • People will be able to play Stadia games at their highest quality on low-powered machines, from laptops to TVs and phones, wherever they have an internet connection.
  • Google will also sell a special Stadia controller.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/19/goog...zojteRhhTn0da4

Maxflier 03-19-19 01:28 PM

This thing will sell like <strike>hotcakes</strike> Ouya's.

redrum 03-19-19 01:36 PM

I will never be a fan of streaming games, don’t care how well it works there will always be a time when it won’t

Rob V 03-19-19 01:41 PM

isn't Microsoft already going to do this but with proven games, proven online platform and proven controllers?

RichC2 03-19-19 02:32 PM

It works well (Assassin's Creed looked fantastic in the Chrome version) but it's certainly an uphill battle. Don't like the controller.

This all said, "The company said that if someone is watching a video of a game on YouTube, they could hit a button that says "play now" and jump right into playing the game themselves in as fast as five seconds." is a great angle to sell it.

fujishig 03-19-19 02:36 PM

Yeah, the fact that you don't have to buy into an expensive device to play these games is most likely the draw (though you will need sufficient internet speeds, obviously, and that will probably be the huge caveat). It's definitely not an Ouya. I'm sure they're taking advantage of their CDNs and Google Cloud Platform, which makes me wonder why Amazon didn't beat them to the punch.

Mike86 03-19-19 02:48 PM

I guess my question is how are devices that weren't really designed to run games, especially ones that are graphically intensive able to run them without being crippled? I guess I don't competely understand the tech behind it. I don't think I'd buy into a gaming streaming service personally.

fujishig 03-19-19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13519025)
I guess my question is how are devices that weren't really designed to run games, especially ones that are graphically intensive able to run them without being crippled? I guess I don't competely understand the tech behind it. I don't think I'd buy into a gaming streaming service personally.

All the processing is being done elsewhere, the device you're using is basically just streaming the video from there. That's why input lag and stuttering are going to be important to minimize.

RichC2 03-19-19 02:57 PM

Yep. Yeah this is nothing new, at all. None have caught on in the past ten years, not sure this will either. But integration into YouTube is smart.

Playstation Now is kind of laggy from time to time, I haven't used GeForce Now.

Sample from the earlier beta:

starseed1981 03-19-19 03:21 PM

Google and / or Apple could take over the industry anytime they wanted too. They have enough capital to do it. That being said, while streaming & cloud processing is the future.....we aren't there yet.

Dan 03-19-19 06:12 PM

:lol:

I'm sure it'll be great though.

mattysemo247 03-19-19 06:40 PM

I have unlimited data, but that's fucking nuts

RichC2 03-19-19 07:13 PM

That'd make it what, 45mbps?

Coral 03-19-19 09:23 PM

I have unlimited bandwidth and a 150mbps connection, and I still wouldn't do this.

Streaming shows/movies is fine, but there's no way I'd rely on a constant internet connection for every second of gameplay.
I'm using cable, so if just a few homes in my neighborhood are doing this at the same time as me - there'd be huge latency issues and dropped frames, etc.

E Unit 03-19-19 09:34 PM

This will result in a loud fucking thump. I don’t see this going anywhere.

RichC2 03-20-19 10:16 AM

I have fiber and dug the beta so I'll definitely give it a shot. I imagine it'll be used primarily for demos and a subscription service.

Decker 03-20-19 10:53 AM

I have a hard data cap on my Internet. This will be a PASS for me

Sonny Corinthos 03-20-19 03:51 PM

So is this going to be something like a console we will have to buy and hook up to our TV or PC to play? Does anyone think the big game developers will bring their games to this?

slop101 03-20-19 05:14 PM

I'd be fine with streaming games - but we need better internet infrastructure, and ISPs need to be better regulated as well. Or heck, regulated at all.

fujishig 03-20-19 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13519826)
So is this going to be something like a console we will have to buy and hook up to our TV or PC to play? Does anyone think the big game developers will bring their games to this?

Presumably since it will be streaming off of servers, it will be available on most PCs that have an internet connection, ie: even low powered chromebooks. So you can play it as a platform on your existing PC, or presumably buy a pretty cheap streaming box akin to a chromecast and a controller. If the platform is viable and especially if google invests in game companies, games will come.

In theory that should be the big draw, you don't need to invest in expensive hardware up front to play top of the line games. But you need great internet.

DJariya 03-20-19 06:11 PM

AT&T has a data cap too. So I think this will be a pass for their customers. No way you can stream games and play HD and 4K video and not hit it.

I have Spectrum and there's no cap, but my Internet doesn't have consistent or fast enough downloads to support something like this.

Giantrobo 03-20-19 07:52 PM

Pass...

Michael Corvin 03-20-19 08:43 PM

This looks and sounds terrible.

Cloud based streaming appears to be the holy grail that all companies want, but it doesn't seem like it's what consumers want.

RichC2 03-20-19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13519909)
AT&T has a data cap too. So I think this will be a pass for their customers. No way you can stream games and play HD and 4K video and not hit it.

I have Spectrum and there's no cap, but my Internet doesn't have consistent or fast enough downloads to support something like this.

AT&T Fiber Gig has no cap (here at least), all other tiers are +$30/mo for unlimited which makes it the same price as Gig. It's weird. It's also Unlimited if you get a tv service from them.