Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Days Gone (Bend Studio) PS4 exclusive - 04/26/2019

Old 04-23-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Days Gone (Bend Studio) PS4 exclusive - 04/26/2019

Review embargo lifts at 1pm on Thursday, so basically 11 hours before the game is released. I wouldn't say that's an encouraging sign.

The review embargo for God of War last year was around a week before it came out. Yet Spider-Man was 3 days. So I guess it varies with their exclusives.
Old 04-25-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Review are out. It doesn't sound like a total disaster but definitely doesn't sound like a day one purchase.
Old 04-25-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Review are out. It doesn't sound like a total disaster but definitely doesn't sound like a day one purchase.
Yeah, 6.5 from IGN, 6.0 from Destructoid. Not terrible, but hardly a must-buy either. I will cancel my Collector's Edition and wait for a sale on a digital copy. No need to spend over $100 on that title, even with the cool statue.

Old 04-25-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After my time with RDR2 and reading this in the Destructoid review:

For one, you can't fast-travel if you don't have the fuel
I'll be passing on this one until it's bargain bin.
Old 04-25-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

72% so far on Metacritic. The way some of those reviews sound, they don't really match the score. They almost seem a little too generous.

It kinda sounds like this was a weak attempt at an open world Ubisoft game featuring zombies.
Old 04-25-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is probably the death knell for Bend. You can't spend 7 years on something like this.
Old 04-25-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll probably get it when it goes on sale for $19.99. Here's an hour on gameplay. I watched the first 10 minutes of it and it looks ok.

Old 04-25-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally, a AAA game I don't feel compelled to buy right at launch. Considering how fast GoW and Spiderman dropped in price, or at least how soon they went on sale, I'd bet this will be easy to find at ~$30 by the end of summer.
Old 04-25-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sort of sad and somewhat shocked a bit by the low scores. I wasn't going to get it but had hoped it would come out with some positive numbers. Well...for those who were hoping to whack and deal with Zombies, you can always grab "World War Z"...seems like the scores on it may have exceeded some expectations. or wasn't close depending on who wrote it but at $39.00....
Old 04-26-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is already being bundled with Xcom 2 for $59 and Newegg and BB.
Old 04-26-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I spent some time with reading two reviews...one giving it a 9/10 from Playstationlifestyle and the other a 7/10 from Push Square. I found it interesting that for the most part, both agreed the game play, map, weather, audio with the sense of the unkowing, Zombies, taking care of your motorcycle, option of either being sneaky or going full guns blazing...all checked the boxes. However, with Push Square Review, what brought the score down was the lack of direction, some quests/missions being the same over and over (Fetch Missions) and the story seemed incomplete.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...s-gone-review/ ....9/10

Days Gone Review (PS4) | Push Square ....7/10
Old 04-27-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man the Collector's Edition is nice looking. I picked mine up but didn't open it (want to keep my options open for the moment). Seriously, that statue is amazing looking.

Old 04-27-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the God of War Limited Edition hit $60, it's only a matter of time before this does as well (if not cheaper)
Old 04-27-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Good point. I very well may wait this one out. They're still available on BestBuy.com .

My only thing is those Spider-Man ones were gone well before the game ever got released and they NEVER came back. I missed out on that one and regret it.
Old 04-27-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I played it this morning and that Push Square review seems to be on the ball about the good and bad qualities for this game. I love the sandbox style of play as it takes from different games so game controls are somewhat familiar. However, I just played a few hours and the missions are starting to become tedious and repetitive. Killing the freakers and the drifters and making sure that I take the bounties is tiresome. Also the traveling via the bike with the lack of scrap and fuel are another minus. I would give it 6.5 for now.

I would suggest reading a guide about which skills to give Deacon first as a wrong one might make playing the game more annoying. However, there’s no trophy associated with difficulty so you can play this on Easy.
Old 04-28-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
^ Good point. I very well may wait this one out. They're still available on BestBuy.com .

My only thing is those Spider-Man ones were gone well before the game ever got released and they NEVER came back. I missed out on that one and regret it.
Yeah, for whatever reason that Spider-Man CE was really limited, especially for $150. I'm glad I got one, but not thrilled I had to pay full price after I missed the BB preorders with GCU.

Fortunately I don't think you will have to worry about that with this game
Old 04-29-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I played it this morning and that Push Square review seems to be on the ball about the good and bad qualities for this game. I love the sandbox style of play as it takes from different games so game controls are somewhat familiar. However, I just played a few hours and the missions are starting to become tedious and repetitive. Killing the freakers and the drifters and making sure that I take the bounties is tiresome. Also the traveling via the bike with the lack of scrap and fuel are another minus. I would give it 6.5 for now.

I would suggest reading a guide about which skills to give Deacon first as a wrong one might make playing the game more annoying. However, there’s no trophy associated with difficulty so you can play this on Easy.
I have two friends who watched some streamer(s) playing it and ended up getting it yesterday...I don't think they even looked at reviews or asked me what I head about the game...oh, well...see what they have to say after a few days of playing. hey Lopo, I know you played Diablo III some but did you ever try Path of Exile since it's been out on PS4? I'm loving it...far deeper than Diablo for sure...loot system is not shared though which can be a pain when wanting to play with others.

Old 04-29-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
I have two friends who watched some streamer(s) playing it and ended up getting it yesterday...I don't think they even looked at reviews or asked me what I head about the game...oh, well...see what they have to say after a few days of playing. hey Lopo, I know you played Diablo III some but did you ever try Path of Exile since it's been out on PS4? I'm loving it...far deeper than Diablo for sure...loot system is not shared though which can be a pain when wanting to play with others.
My advice about this game is to get it when it gets cheap. My pre-order price was good enough for me not to cancel it and get it on release but otherwise, I would had waited for a cheaper price.

I'll explain in detail your question in regards to Path of Exile in that thread Buzz so we don't sidetrack this one. But in short, the answer is no.
Old 04-29-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Played about two hours last night. Why do the Bikers sound like they have marbles in their mouths? Made sure to put subtitles on I could barely understand what they were saying lol

Had a lot of fun in those two hours though. The Zombies are Uber stupid and easy to get one away from the pack .

Got a little freaked out at
Spoiler:
Having to kill Zombie Children

Haven't seen that before in a videogame . That's even rare in the movies and TV.
Old 08-27-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally finished this. Overall its a decent game, but man is this game loooong. At one point I figured I was close to done and had 30 more story missions left. Overall it has a lot of good going for it(the map is huge, crafting was fun, riding you bike and customizing it was enjoyable) but it also has things that hold it back too(the main character is a douche, the side characters aren't memorable story isn't anything great). Overall I would give it a3.75/5. It has a lot of potential for a sequel but the first one feels like a game with too many good ideas and concepts that were never fully realized.
Old 08-27-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Finally finished this. Overall its a decent game, but man is this game loooong. At one point I figured I was close to done and had 30 more story missions left. Overall it has a lot of good going for it(the map is huge, crafting was fun, riding you bike and customizing it was enjoyable) but it also has things that hold it back too(the main character is a douche, the side characters aren't memorable story isn't anything great). Overall I would give it a3.75/5. It has a lot of potential for a sequel but the first one feels like a game with too many good ideas and concepts that were never fully realized.
I'd agree with this. The last third of the game really isn't necessary. And the main characters basically feel like a bad idea a creative director had ....and nobody told that person that it was a bad idea.