Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Final Fantasy IX questions

Old 02-20-19, 10:10 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Final Fantasy IX questions

I realize this is ancient history for most of you but I just started playing this game (PSOne). Figured this might be a good place to ask questions.

First question (for now): On the main menu screen, when you're looking at your characters, for each character it gives you their current level, HP & MP amounts, the little blue ability stone, and a number beside it (1/30, 3/26, etc.). What the hell does that number mean? I've searched everywhere, either I don't know how to properly word my search or that information isn't widely available. I have characters where every available ability is equipped, and has used them, yet the number is still 0/26...

Thanks!

Edit: A random screenshot from Google images for reference:

Last edited by kd5; 02-20-19 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Final Fantasy IX questions

IIRC that's your limit for support abilities. In your screenshot Lucille has none equipped since it's still 20/20.
Old 02-20-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I realize this is ancient history for most of you but I just started playing this game (PSOne). Figured this might be a good place to ask questions.

First question (for now): On the main menu screen, when you're looking at your characters, for each character it gives you their current level, HP & MP amounts, the little blue ability stone, and a number beside it (1/30, 3/26, etc.). What the hell does that number mean? I've searched everywhere, either I don't know how to properly word my search or that information isn't widely available. I have characters where every available ability is equipped, and has used them, yet the number is still 0/26...

Thanks!

Edit: A random screenshot from Google images for reference:

It's been a long time since I've played this one, but IIRC those are the number of ability points you have for equipping abilities. Each ability costs a certain number of points to equip/activate, so you have to pick and choose which characters will equip which abilities. So in your screenshot, Zidane has 4 points remaining out of a total of 30, Garnett 9 of 25, Vivi 6 out of a possible 26, and Eiko has all 20 points remaining.
Old 02-20-19, 02:02 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So the higher the number, the better? How are they accumulated? Just by getting into battles? By using the abilities?

Thanks for helping out with this!
Old 02-20-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
So the higher the number, the better? How are they accumulated? Just by getting into battles? By using the abilities?

Thanks for helping out with this!
You equip abilities. You should get more "slots" as you level up, then you can equip more.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki...port_abilities
Old 02-20-19, 02:14 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, from your link it appears that you gain magic stones by leveling up? My Vivi character is at L25 but has 0/26 which makes no sense to me. And to clarify, the number means the number of magic stones that you have?
Old 02-20-19, 02:21 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I just found more abilities to equip (because I leveled up) which changed 2 more of my characters to 0/xx...

I'm baffled.
Old 02-20-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, the denominator (the number after the slash) is the max number of magic stones you can equip. When you level up, that number can go up, meaning you can equip more stones. It will be 0/26 if you already have 26 stones equipped, and you can't equip any more. When your level goes up and you get an increase, that should become 1/27 or whatever.
Old 02-20-19, 04:32 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So the "denominator" is basically the number of abilities (stones) a character is capable of possessing at any given point in the game, the higher their level, the more abilities (stones) they're capable of possessing. Beyond that, the first number isn't really all that important(?)

I wish I'd had a greater understanding of that when I first began. I don't always read all the documentation that ships with a game, in favor of learning about things as I go. I've lost out on some things in that way and started the game over again with my new-found knowledge. I'm not the kind of player who's only in it to win the game, I have more fun along the way, which is why I like role-playing games so much; I can take my time and find stuff while I'm kicking the crap out of monsters.
Old 02-20-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IIRC in FF9 you had to equip items and use them for a certain time frame to learn the abilities from that item for good; else you only could use the ability as long as it was equipped.
This mechanism made it to so people would actually use equipment and accessories they'd otherwise just skip out on using. It was kind of cool, but at the same time kind of annoying.

Because it was annoying, the new PC port has an option that allows you to "automatically" learn the abilities immediately upon equipping.

Last edited by Koby; 02-20-19 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 04:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I wish I'd known that at the beginning (my fault), I find myself wondering if there were any weapons/armor early on I should've learned the abilities from but instead (because I didn't know) got rid of. I hope not. I've kept everything lately and made sure I learned all of the abilities from them.