1. Fetch quests
2. Fetch quests
3. Fetch quests
Old 02-25-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Most annoying video game cliches?

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
The Last Of Us was notorious for complicated control schemes.
I gave up on The Last of Us because of this. I hate complicated controls. Hate!
Old 02-25-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe it's just been awhile, but I don't remember anything overly difficult about the controls in that game.
Old 02-25-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Driving/Vehicle Levels... mostly because few games have good driving controls. Batman Begins (old xbox) has been the only game where that was well done IMHO. Even the HALO games... where as fun as warthogs are to drive.. can be annoying.

Sniper Levels... There always seem to be a some forced gimping of the weapon or environment.

Hidden items so hidden you need to go online to find them.
Old 02-26-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Ugh, I'm going to have to also say complicated control schemes. I'm just getting too damn old to remember all these damn buttons. If I start a new game, and take a few days off, I already forgot how it all works, and feel lost. Oh, the gold ol days of the NES and their wonderful 2 buttons!
This happened recently with Red Dead Redemption 2. I put in about 5 hours the first day, then stopped playing for a week to tackle Resident Evil 2 since I knew it was short. I started playing RDR again and I feel like I need to watch a controls tutorial or something because there is so much I forgot.
Old 02-27-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll pile on dream sequences and any time you're drugged or drunk. Waste of time and never done well.

Top of my list, though, is when you start the game with full powers or abilities and have them taken away. My issue is that I want those things revealed as the game goes on, not right at the start. Let me discover them as I progress through the game.
Old 02-27-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Top of my list, though, is when you start the game with full powers or abilities and have them taken away. My issue is that I want those things revealed as the game goes on, not right at the start. Let me discover them as I progress through the game.
This covers nearly every Metroid game.

Anoter cliche, is fighting your evil doppelganger.
Old 02-27-19, 11:14 PM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I was about to say, but what about Metroid? Because I'd give Metroid a pass for being so awesome.
Old 02-27-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Cut scenes and dialogue options you can't skip (especially if you are playing over again because you died or missed a checkpoint)
Originally Posted by joeblow69
Ugh, I'm going to have to also say complicated control schemes. I'm just getting too damn old to remember all these damn buttons. If I start a new game, and take a few days off, I already forgot how it all works, and feel lost. Oh, the gold ol days of the NES and their wonderful 2 buttons!
These may be annoyances, but the're not cliches!
Old 03-01-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

"Missing Waypoints, Icons, Beacons and/or audio direction"...like what's going on with Quickplay in Anthem.....drop in the match/area, see the objective listed in the corner telling you what to do...but no beacon, waypoint, radar, audio and not even enemies.....just fellow characters enjoying the sights & sounds....

"Infinite Load Screens".....be it on a platform, area, in orbit, in a field, inside a building....tick, tick, tick....forever...

"The Bullet Sponge Effect"...call it a glitch or just poor design but basically can effect you in any game where you feel like you're fighting a army of Terminators with paintball guns....
Old 03-13-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
"Missing Waypoints, Icons, Beacons and/or audio direction"...like what's going on with Quickplay in Anthem.....drop in the match/area, see the objective listed in the corner telling you what to do...but no beacon, waypoint, radar, audio and not even enemies.....just fellow characters enjoying the sights & sounds....

"Infinite Load Screens".....be it on a platform, area, in orbit, in a field, inside a building....tick, tick, tick....forever...

"The Bullet Sponge Effect"...call it a glitch or just poor design but basically can effect you in any game where you feel like you're fighting a army of Terminators with paintball guns....
Forgot about the Bullet sponge - very annoying.