Reload this Page >

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-17-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

NIS America has announced that they will release The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III for PlayStation 4 in North America and Europe in Fall 2019. NIS America will also be holding a panel regarding the game at PAX South tomorrow on January 18 at 11 AM CST. Trails of Cold Steel III originally released in Japan in September 2017.

NIS America also states that this release will see the return of certain English localization staff that have worked on previous titles in the series. The game supports both English and Japanese voice overs with English and French text options. An English website can be found here.

About the game:
Nearly a year and a half has passed since the Erebonian civil war, and much has changed since then. From the shifting stances of countries to the internal politics of the Empire, and even the life of Rean Schwarzer, the shadows of the past have given way to the embers of a new chapter. Now graduated from Thors Military Academy, Rean has become an instructor at the Thors Branch Campus, a newly-opened academy that quickly finds itself thrust onto the national stage. It is here that he takes the lead of a brand new Class VII, and must guide a new generation of heroes into an unknown future. Though all is calm now, the nefarious Ouroboros organization continues to weave a dark plot that could engulf the entire continent in war...or perhaps something even more sinister.

Trails of Cold Steel III invites players into a world full of intrigue and excitement that is years in the making. They will embark on a whirlwind tour through the never-before-seen lands of the recently expanded Erebonian countryside, and encounter fresh faces as well as old friends familiar to fans of the series. In true Trails fashion, the deep, engaging story pairs with an incredible cast of characters and a combat system refined over decades of innovative RPG worldbuilding. This renowned title has also now been developed natively for PlayStation®4 hardware, a series first.XSEED Games had previously handled the localization and publishing of the series, including the previous two titles in the Cold Steel sub-series. XSEED isn't completely divorced from the franchise yet, however, as they are releasing PlayStation 4 enhanced ports of the first two Cold Steel titles soon in 2019.

NIS America previously handled the localization of Nihon Falcom's other flagship franchise with Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana in 2017. This was not a smooth endeavor, however, as Ys VIII suffered a poor initial localization that had to be significantly overhauled, as well as a troubled PC port that met several delays and patches. One can hope that Trails of Cold Steel III's eventual release won't be as problematic.More information regarding the localization will be revealed during the company's PAX South panel on Friday, we were told that players should expect news regarding who will be helming the title's translation, with an emphasis on NISA bringing aboard talent that already has experience with the series, to "help contextualize, translate and localize the title".

Source: RPGsite
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t6vva9KYRAc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-30-20, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III

Cold Steel 3 certainly seems to take much longer to progress while trying to do everything you can during each segment. I'm nearing 20 hours of gameplay and still in the middle of the first chapter during the first field day for Class VII.

My characters are around level 15 to 17 and so far all the battles have been a cakewalk. I don't believe I've even had to heal even once during any battle up to this point. Brave Orders is new in this installment and while Crafts certainly seem to be higher cost CP-wise and less effective, BO's really seem to break the battles with their abilities such as the one that makes you fully invincible for 4 turns and any damage an enemy attempts to inflict on you gets reflected back at them.

It's been fun thus far, but I'm definitely missing the old Class 7 members.
Old 05-27-20, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I'll use this thread rather than starting a new one.

For people familiar with the series, is it important to play the original 3 games before starting up the Cold Steel series? Or could I start with CS1 and be OK?
Old 05-27-20, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I'll use this thread rather than starting a new one.

For people familiar with the series, is it important to play the original 3 games before starting up the Cold Steel series? Or could I start with CS1 and be OK?
Fans of the series are typically divided on this.

Technically there are 5, not 3, games prior to Cold Steel 1. However the whole Crossbell arc has never been officially localized. There are fan translations for them though and considering Falcom just re-released them on PS4 this year, chances are they will be localized sooner rather than later. Those two being Trails From Zero and Trails To Azure.

Anyhow back to your question.... I fall on the side of the fence that says you can be perfectly fine starting with Cold Steel.

The games do a good job of telling you everything you need to know to understand the plot and re-introduces characters from previous arcs when they appear so that people aren't alienated for having not played prior games. You of course have the bonus of knowing about the characters and certain backstories by having played the previous games... but you certainly won't feel lost if you haven't.

So think of it as a bonus, not a requirement, to play past games. Starting with Cold Steel 1 is fine.
The following users liked this post:
Noonan (05-29-20)
Old 05-29-20, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Cool; thanks. I picked up the first 3 on Steam a while back during a sale but I really wanted to start CS now that I finished Trails of Mana.

What gen were the two non localized games? Sprites like the first 3 or polygons like CS?
Old 05-30-20, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
What gen were the two non localized games? Sprites like the first 3 or polygons like CS?
It's not what I'd call Sprites, but it's more like the Sky games as seen below.