Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Old 01-06-19, 08:22 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,173
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

God of War
fumanstan is offline  
Old 01-06-19, 08:23 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manch Vegas, NH
Posts: 8,171
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
haha, whatever. They are literally called handheld consoles. They have the fucking word right in the description
They can call it a console all they want, it's not a console.

Consoles are not portable, even if you can attach it to your TV.

We "all" grew up with home video game consoles... when they made handhelds, they decided to call them portable consoles, which is BS.
Music is offline  
Old 01-06-19, 10:38 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,652
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Thanks for the responses this year guys/gals even though there were more posts discussing if a handheld is a console then discussion of my list.
The Questyen is offline  
Old 01-07-19, 01:15 AM
  #54  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,317
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Thanks for the list! The Gardens Between is on sale for the Switch so I picked it up. I love interesting puzzle games. Definitely going to check out Gris too when I can.
kefrank is offline  
Old 01-07-19, 08:32 AM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,392
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Originally Posted by Music View Post
They can call it a console all they want, it's not a console.

Consoles are not portable, even if you can attach it to your TV.

We "all" grew up with home video game consoles... when they made handhelds, they decided to call them portable consoles, which is BS.
Wait, so the Switch is not a console?

Why would "they" care if you called it a console or not? Why is it BS?

Back on topic, I'm surprised at number 2 on the list, not because I've played it, but mainly because it seems to have been panned by a lot of people post launch, or at the very least considered not as good as the first one.

I've bought most of the console games on this list, but haven't really dug into them other than Spider-man and Yoku, but a great, comprehensive list (besides fighting games) and as always some stuff I've never really noticed. So thanks again!
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-07-19, 02:13 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,677
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wait, so the Switch is not a console?

Why would "they" care if you called it a console or not? Why is it BS?
Not by the logic used around here

But back on topic, thanks again Questyen for your list. I enjoy reading them every year. And this year I completely agree with your GOTY
mattysemo247 is online now  
Old 01-07-19, 06:53 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,317
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Meant to ask this before. Looks like Celeste didn't make your list - did you play it and if so, what did you think of it? I'm nearing the end of it on the Switch and I think it has quickly become one of my favorite platformers of all time. Part of that is because the gameplay is so brilliantly intertwined with real thematic substance, which I think is a rarity in platformers.
kefrank is offline  
Old 01-07-19, 10:14 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,652
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Meant to ask this before. Looks like Celeste didn't make your list - did you play it and if so, what did you think of it? I'm nearing the end of it on the Switch and I think it has quickly become one of my favorite platformers of all time. Part of that is because the gameplay is so brilliantly intertwined with real thematic substance, which I think is a rarity in platformers.
I just started playing it a day or two ago and got about 3 hours in. I'm not a fan of the hardcore platformer genre in general so this was never going to be a game I loved because at its core its just another one of those and 3 hours in I still don't care for the gameplay. So the main reason I even started playing it was because of the hype over the story and so far while the story is good it's nothing revelatory. You say you find thematic substance to be a rarity in platformers and while that might be the case for these "hardcore platfomers" it's quite common in the ones I play and Gris is a good example of one (Ori and the Blind Forest being another) that handles loss and depression in ways that I found far more interesting then the more standard storytelling in Celeste which is telling a pretty cookiecutter story (at least so far) except for the lead character being obviously depressed.
The Questyen is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 05:37 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,317
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I just started playing it a day or two ago and got about 3 hours in. I'm not a fan of the hardcore platformer genre in general so this was never going to be a game I loved because at its core its just another one of those and 3 hours in I still don't care for the gameplay. So the main reason I even started playing it was because of the hype over the story and so far while the story is good it's nothing revelatory. You say you find thematic substance to be a rarity in platformers and while that might be the case for these "hardcore platfomers" it's quite common in the ones I play and Gris is a good example of one (Ori and the Blind Forest being another) that handles loss and depression in ways that I found far more interesting then the more standard storytelling in Celeste which is telling a pretty cookiecutter story (at least so far) except for the lead character being obviously depressed.
Fair enough. What I find effective about Celeste is that the gameplay itself gives the player a level of first-hand insight into some aspects of being depressed and the kind of internal battle that presents. Throughout Celeste, you have to push through failure that can feel oppressive and relentless - the game even highlights this by telling you to be proud of your death count rather than seeing it as a negative because it means you kept going. Without giving away too much that you may not have gotten to yet, the gameplay also offers insight into the feeling of struggling against one's own self, falling discouragingly backward after making progress, and needing a community of genuine support around oneself to find health and balance - all of which are important and real experiences of those living with depression. The cutscenes really just reinforce the subtext that is all over the actual gameplay. As someone who has walked alongside many people struggling with depression, I think it's brilliantly done.

kefrank is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 07:50 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,392
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Yeah Celeste and Into the Breach were the ones I noted as absent, but those are specific genres that I figured you just weren't into. Well that and Astro Bot, but not everyone has PS VR.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-11-19 at 07:20 PM.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 08:00 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,652
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Yeah Celeste and Into the Brink were the ones I noted as absent, but those are specific genres that I figured you just weren't into. Well that and Astro Bot, but not everyone has PS VR.
Astro bot and Moss are the two big games I would want to play but not enough to get a PSVR. I'm surprised no one has asked about Red Redemption 2.
The Questyen is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 07:01 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,652
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Fair enough. What I find effective about Celeste is that the gameplay itself gives the player a level of first-hand insight into some aspects of being depressed and the kind of internal battle that presents. Throughout Celeste, you have to push through failure that can feel oppressive and relentless - the game even highlights this by telling you to be proud of your death count rather than seeing it as a negative because it means you kept going. Without giving away too much that you may not have gotten to yet, the gameplay also offers insight into the feeling of struggling against one's own self, falling discouragingly backward after making progress, and needing a community of genuine support around oneself to find health and balance - all of which are important and real experiences of those living with depression. The cutscenes really just reinforce the subtext that is all over the actual gameplay. As someone who has walked alongside many people struggling with depression, I think it's brilliantly done.


I did finish this up (although with a huge amount of help from the assist system which is literally a game changer and should be in more games) and I do think it's a good game (with a well told story) it just obviously didn't connect with me like it did with a lot of people and I love that about videogames.
The Questyen is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 07:08 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 40,810
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Astro bot and Moss are the two big games I would want to play but not enough to get a PSVR. I'm surprised no one has asked about Red Redemption 2.
We know you well enough to be more surprised when a big-budget AAA open-world title is included on your list than when it's missing.
Decker is online now  
Old 01-12-19, 05:07 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,317
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2018

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I did finish this up (although with a huge amount of help from the assist system which is literally a game changer and should be in more games) and I do think it's a good game (with a well told story) it just obviously didn't connect with me like it did with a lot of people and I love that about videogames.
kefrank is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.