Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, XB1, Switch, PC) - 4/23/19

Old 04-24-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4, XB1, Switch, PC) - 4/23/19

Originally Posted by DeanoBKN View Post
This has already dropped to $49.99 at Amazon & Walmart.
I'm pretty sure that's pricematching Target's 10 gift card offer. You lose out on Shao Khan which you have to buy for like 7 bucks, though. Which is why I'm hoping Best Buy matches soon.
Old 04-24-19, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I do miss the days of just being able to unlock things like extra outfits, characters, or stages. Now we’re so preconditioned to thinking it’s normal to buy extra items. I think it’s more irritating knowing a lot of those items are likely finished and just being held back so they can charge more later, but that’s modern gaming.
In terms of Fighting Games, not all companies followed that model.

Out of the larger companies, Namco & SNK had a lot of Character Unlocks through just playing the game, which was fun & challenging, depending on the perimeters.

Companies like Capcom (and in this case originally) Midway, required the purchase of a brand new game for any new content.

Street Fighter II alone had 5 different versions released for it between 1991-1995.

The Mortal Kombat Series didn't have many Character Unlocks early on, with the bulk of them initially coming in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

While I do agree that paying $4.99 for a new Character (or Stage) each time is annoying/costly, it wasn't that much better within Fighting Games previously.
Old 04-24-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure why you made the distinction between Namco/SNK and Capcom. SNK pumped out tons of fighting games back to back to back. While Capcom had games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2 which featured a ton of unlockable characters.
Old 04-24-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Something about the purchaseable characters makes modern fighters feel incomplete to me
Old 04-24-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Something about the purchaseable characters makes modern fighters feel incomplete to me
I'm almost the opposite. I would rather them have season or character passes to extend the life of the current game rather than have them release sequels every year for $60. Think of how many different versions of Street Fighter 2 came out. I would rather have a new Mortal Kombat game every 4 years now. Especially since the DLC often goes on sale for 50% off or more.
Old 04-25-19, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm not sure why you made the distinction between Namco/SNK and Capcom. SNK pumped out tons of fighting games back to back to back. While Capcom had games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2 which featured a ton of unlockable characters.
Even though Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 had most of its Roster as Unlockables, I made the distinction because in comparison, Namco & SNK have traditionally have had a consistent amount of Unlockable Characters within their series, namely Tekken, Soul Calibur, and King of Fighters.

I am well aware of how many different versions of World Heroes & Fatal Fury/Real Bout there are but I was commenting less on that and more of the amount of Unlockable Characters there were in their games.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was the exception in all of Marvel's Versus Series. Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter & Marvel Vs Capcom 1 had a good amount of Unlockable Characters but they were mostly palette swaps with different move sets and character attributes.

Apologies if I caused any confusion.

Regardless off all this, I'm looking forward to seeing Competitive Players get their hands on MK11.

Last edited by asianxcore; 04-25-19 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NLBC (Next Level Battle Circuit) ran a tournament for the game today.

No surprise that SonicFox was in Grand Finals. Great to see him playing Erron Black again.

Old 04-25-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Even though Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 had most of its Roster as Unlockables, I made the distinction because in comparison, Namco & SNK have traditionally have had a consistent amount of Unlockable Characters within their series, namely Tekken, Soul Calibur, and King of Fighters.

I am well aware of how many different versions of World Heroes & Fatal Fury/Real Bout there are but I was less commenting on that and more of the amount of Unlockable Characters there were in their games.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was the exception in all of Marvel's Versus Series. Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter & Marvel Vs Capcom 1 had a good amount of Unlockable Characters but they were mostly palette swaps with different move sets and character attributes.

Regardless off all this, I'm looking forward to seeing Competitive Players get their hands on MK11.
Maybe I just read your post wrong. I thought you were saying SNK/Namco had unlockable characters, while Capcom required the purchase of a new game if you wanted new characters. But it seems like SNK required the purchase of a new game a lot more frequently. But I was always more of a Street Fighter guy and the KOF series alone always blended together all their various iterations, so I'm probably mistaken.

I think SF IV, the forgotten game in the series, had lots of unlockables as well, or at least made you play through story mode with various characters.

I don't mind spending extra money for extra characters; the balancing alone must take a ton of time. I do hate when they don't really reveal all the season pass characters before you buy it... for instance, I'm sure MK fans loved it but I was a little ticked when Sub Zero and Raiden took up two of the DLC slots in Injustice 2, considering how many DC characters they had to pull from.
Old 04-25-19, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Maybe I just read your post wrong. I thought you were saying SNK/Namco had unlockable characters, while Capcom required the purchase of a new game if you wanted new characters. But it seems like SNK required the purchase of a new game a lot more frequently. But I was always more of a Street Fighter guy and the KOF series alone always blended together all their various iterations, so I'm probably mistaken.

I think SF IV, the forgotten game in the series, had lots of unlockables as well, or at least made you play through story mode with various characters.

I don't mind spending extra money for extra characters; the balancing alone must take a ton of time. I do hate when they don't really reveal all the season pass characters before you buy it... for instance, I'm sure MK fans loved it but I was a little ticked when Sub Zero and Raiden took up two of the DLC slots in Injustice 2, considering how many DC characters they had to pull from.
Oh no, my original point was just how much Unlockable Characters and related items like Colors were a part of a game per Series. SNK definitely put out an endless stream of titles (World Heroes, Fatal Fury/Real Bout and King of Fighters have a ridiculous amount of iterations & sequels) but many had Unlockable Characters as part of the fun of playing the game. One of my favorite games in the King of Fighters series, King of Fighters XI, I believe had 14 Unlockable Characters.

There were a good amount of Unlockable Characters for Street Fighter 4's Console release and it was great to see both a bunch of Colors & Taunts unlockable by just playing the game. Later iterations of the game still kept Colors & Taunts being unlockable by simply playing the game (within various modes) but made new Characters available only with new iterations of the game. Still an absolutely great game.

Capcom was doing the Season Pass route for Street Fighter V but it might have changed with their release of just Kage in late 2018. We'll see where they go this year with the game.
Old 04-25-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
NLBC (Next Level Battle Circuit) ran a tournament for the game today.

No surprise that SonicFox was in Grand Finals. Great to see him playing Erron Black again.

I'm sure in 3 weeks he'll have 20 mains in the game. They ended up nerfing Erron Black in MKX because of him. Hopefully that doesn't happen again haha
Old 04-26-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I'm sure in 3 weeks he'll have 20 mains in the game. They ended up nerfing Erron Black in MKX because of him. Hopefully that doesn't happen again haha
Erron definitely his is Main right now but I've seen him play Geras and Cassie on Stream.

With how fast the MK/Injustice Community finds things out the lab as well as how often NetherRealm Studios applies Balance Patches, it probably will happen again.
Old 05-28-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazing weekend of Mortal Kombat 11 at Combo Breaker in Illinois.

800 person tournament!

Top 96

Top 24

Top 8

Old 05-28-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very high level play in that top 8 for a game that's only a month old. It also seems like alot of the weaknesses with Geras and Erron Black are starting to be exposed. The Evo top 8 is gonna 4 Cetrions Vs. 4 Jades lol.
Old 05-28-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Very high level play in that top 8 for a game that's only a month old. It also seems like alot of the weaknesses with Geras and Erron Black are starting to be exposed. The Evo top 8 is gonna 4 Cetrions Vs. 4 Jades lol.
Yup! I knew all the NRS regulars would figure out some solid stuff within the game in such a small amount of time.

Definitely going to be a lot of Cassie, Sonya & Jacqui players at EVO, assuming a patch from NRS doesn't release before then. Wouldn't be surprised to see more Baraka players.

I was over the Geras Mirrors at locals that I have been following, so it was great to see a little bit of variety here and there at Combo Breaker.

Neat to see different styles of Jade play, comparing how WAZ played her and how Kitana Prime played her.

So satisfying to see the Sonic Fox/Tweedy Rivalry from the previous NRS games but namely Summit of Time Tournament bleed into this specific Tournament.

I traded a few games into Gamestop this afternoon and picked up a new copy of MK11 for around $32.XX. Looking forward to jumping in as I haven't played an MK (or NRS game) since MK9.

Last edited by asianxcore; 05-29-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished all of the Tutorials this morning.

Making my way through Story Mode, which has been solid thus far!
Old 05-29-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really need to pick this up.
Old 05-29-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I really need to pick this up.
Walmart is still showing $48-49 for the PS4 & Xbox One versions but I'm sure it can still be had cheaper if you dig.
Old 05-31-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apparently this was the first game in over a decade to be the top seller for a month across all three systems. Kind of crazy.
Old 05-31-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Apparently this was the first game in over a decade to be the top seller for a month across all three systems. Kind of crazy.
Makes sense, the only other AAA title I can think of that has come out on Nintendo platforms at the same time as the other 2 is NBA 2K. The Switch doesn't even get Madden.
Old 06-04-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mortal Kombat 11 Season Pass Characters.

Spoiler:
Old 06-04-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love that they went with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa's likeness & (actual) voice for Shang Tsung.

I hope we get Ermac, Rain, Reptile and Smoke sooner than later.

Interested in seeing how Nightwolf will be played in this iteration of the game.
Old 06-04-19, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bruce Campbell made some cryptic tweet about the game, leading people to believe Ash may well be a DLC character soon.
Old 06-08-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished Story Mode earlier today as well as the Towers of Time Tutorials.

Slowly making my way through this game
Old 06-08-19, 08:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I wish I could still play these games. I was such a Soul Caliber IV or whatever was on Dreamcast. Still a memorable game that I no where near finished before it was time to give Sega up and go Nintendo. Now Xbox of course. But with all the combos and different things to do just so confusing and can never remember. Even when I do something, I rarely remember how I did it. I so want to play as Freddy or Jason which I believe you can do in 10 which I have from Gamepass...
Old 06-09-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Currently, I'm appreciating the option for AI Control within the Klassic Towers.

Almost fully admitting how ridiculously grind-y this game is for Fatalities, Skins, etc.

Being able to farm decent amounts of Koins & Hearts via the AI Control has been nice.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.