DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Fallout 76 - (PS4, XB1, PC) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/645850-fallout-76-ps4-xb1-pc.html)

Ginwen 10-25-19 06:49 PM

Re: Fallout 76 - (PS4, XB1, PC)

I’m not only still playing it pretty much daily, I paid for a year of the subscription service (which all it does is add some quality of life stuff it’s not mandatory)— the things it added make it more fun for me. Greatest ever, no, but considering how long I’ve been playing I easily got my moneys worth already.

atrium 11-02-19 12:30 PM

The Australian government stepped in and is offering refunds to those who bought it. :lol:

https://kotaku.com/australia-allows-...mer-1839517936

K&AJones 12-06-19 09:21 AM

I've probably ripped this game...along with Ghost Recon Breakpoint ...as much as any. But next week there is a patch coming that if those playing have kept up with it more and knows the ins & outs better. I hated the way they made this into a PvPw/PvE all in the mix but this next update sounds like they are going to put in a true Solo Mode that even has a Friends Only Option.

Fallout 75 Update Arrives Next Week With Solo Play, Festive Activities and Free Trial....https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fa.../1100-6471947/

Rival11 03-02-20 09:43 AM

Good on the Aussie government because this game is hot trash - seriously one of the worst I've ever played. I was expecting somewhat of an engine overhaul and it looks like all they did is make things look brighter. I don't need to say much else on this, the Angry Joe review sums up everything nicely - I swear that dudes reviews help lower my stress levels sometimes.

K&AJones 03-09-20 08:44 AM

Bethesda on Fallout 76: If Devs Don't try Something Different We Won't Get Games Like Horizon Zero Dawn ……. https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-76-reception/

"Bethesda’s Pete Hines has said that the studio doesn’t regret trying something different with Fallout 76, and just because the change wasn’t well-received, it doesn’t mean it was a bad decision.

“The main reason for Fallout 76 was that the studio felt like multiplayer and shared experience was something that was brought up the most by folks who play Elder Scrolls games and Fallout games,” Hines explained. “They wanted to expand a little bit and try something different, not to the exclusion of ever making the kind of games that they’re known for.”

They're still clueless....and arrogant...on how they viewed this game along with taking fans and players of Fallout for granted. I haven't touched the game in 10+ months nor checked the forums but between this and Ghost Recon Breakpoint, you had two of the biggest hyped games that became the biggest disasters because the Devs didn't listen and assumed. Bethesda bent over for the PvP Crowd screaming for PvP in Fallout. Well that's fine and all but no-where has there been any successful game built around a "Forced" PvPvE on the entire map. He cites Elder Scrolls....well it has a dedicated map and region for PvP...just like a lot of other games; Destiny, Division, COD. If any of them went with a PvPvE model like Fallout 76, they would fall flat also. Just a terrible decision and the player numbers to reviews speak for themselves.

Ginwen 03-09-20 01:14 PM

I've gotten a ton of value because I still play a bit most days. Currently, I just log on for a few minutes and do the daily challenges so I can buy silly stuff in the atom store (they've actually added some things that for me are kind of irresistible like the secret Nuka Cola vending machine door), maybe farm a few legendary weapons most of which I turn in for Scrip. Basically, it's working great as a casual game for me, and even though I much prefer Fallout 3 and New Vegas (and a little bit prefer Fallout 4), I've actually been able to play this one a lot longer (partly because in other Fallouts, in my experience at least as I remember I remember it, I reached a point where I'd killed most things and it didn't really respawn, so even if I just wanted to hang out in Fallout World, there was basically nothing to do).

I have no idea how many people play but most times if I'm on a regular server (as opposed to private) there are a decent amount of players on (and probably 10-20 vendors all selling crap). The majority of them seem to have the stash box that comes from Fallout First, so it's possible that even with all the negativity they're not losing money so may have been worth the risk to them as a business in that sense. Also there still seems to be a lot of Fallout merch for sale so they didn't totally kill that cash cow.

Wastelanders (with NPCs) is coming out in less than a month. I don't think it's a full world of characters at least at first but with NPCs and private server (because it turns out I just find other players mostly annoying), it'd almost be the new Fallout game I wanted in the first place.

Brian Shannon 03-10-20 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ginwen (Post 13700562)
Wastelanders (with NPCs) is coming out in less than a month. I don't think it's a full world of characters at least at first but with NPCs and private server (because it turns out I just find other players mostly annoying), it'd almost be the new Fallout game I wanted in the first place.

That is what I am waiting for to get back in

Rival11 03-25-20 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 13700367)
Bethesda on Fallout 76: If Devs Don't try Something Different We Won't Get Games Like Horizon Zero Dawn ……. https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-76-reception/

"Bethesda’s Pete Hines has said that the studio doesn’t regret trying something different with Fallout 76, and just because the change wasn’t well-received, it doesn’t mean it was a bad decision.

“The main reason for Fallout 76 was that the studio felt like multiplayer and shared experience was something that was brought up the most by folks who play Elder Scrolls games and Fallout games,” Hines explained. “They wanted to expand a little bit and try something different, not to the exclusion of ever making the kind of games that they’re known for.”

They're still clueless....and arrogant...on how they viewed this game along with taking fans and players of Fallout for granted. I haven't touched the game in 10+ months nor checked the forums but between this and Ghost Recon Breakpoint, you had two of the biggest hyped games that became the biggest disasters because the Devs didn't listen and assumed. Bethesda bent over for the PvP Crowd screaming for PvP in Fallout. Well that's fine and all but no-where has there been any successful game built around a "Forced" PvPvE on the entire map. He cites Elder Scrolls....well it has a dedicated map and region for PvP...just like a lot of other games; Destiny, Division, COD. If any of them went with a PvPvE model like Fallout 76, they would fall flat also. Just a terrible decision and the player numbers to reviews speak for themselves.

I really do hope this doesn't mean bad news for Fallout 5 - While F4 lacked the graphical polish, it was still a beast of a game.

Edison 03-26-20 06:49 PM

Anyone still playing on Xbox One? I need to do the tadpole stuff to get a bigger backpack. The one specifically is "revive an ally" and if we are in the water I could work on the swimming badge too.

Ginwen 03-26-20 10:39 PM

Me. I’ll check for you when I’m in. The swimming one is one of the easiest if you use 3rd person and kneel any time you see your guy stand up. Otherwise, it’s incredibly annoying.

atrium 03-30-20 07:47 PM

This game still exists? :lol:

Ginwen 04-14-20 11:02 AM

If anyone cares besides me, there are NPCs now, plus a ton of bug fixes (they said about 1000), a new main quest, factions, new group quests and smaller quests. It’s a big download (has to redownload the whole game). Since I liked it anyway, my opinion on whether it’s good or not doesn’t matter—but I don’t really know yet, anyway.

K&AJones 04-15-20 08:21 AM

I have a few friends that have gone back to this here and there but no so recently...like 2-3 weeks ago...playing other stuff and all. I need to ask them on what this all means and if they have tried it yet. I saw the announcement trailer (below) and yea it looks darn good and all...in fact more like a bit of Fallout 4 than Fallout 76....but a lot said the same thing on all the pre-release trailers making the game look fun-as-h*ll...and we all know how that went......not sure though, still can't get by how this looks compared to other games I'm playing now...AC:Odyssey, Warframe, just started Dark Souls 3 and heck even Elder Scrolls looks good compared to the NPC's and all....personally they should've have these in the game to begin with and had a more strict allow or not allow PvP part in the game...then it would've been the game everyone actually thought we were getting....

K&AJones 04-20-20 08:26 AM

Update and after playing this weekend (4/19)....

I fired this up early last week after re-installing it...thankful for having the Digital Versions which made it easy....and the fact Wastelanders was already in the DL....

When I started this it showed the last time I played...November 2018....and to say I was a bit rusty is a understatement. I spent nearly 2 hours getting familiar with everything including my "Shanky Shed" of a house that at the time most everyone was still early in the game that had everyone just slapping up whatever they could find and put together.....I had two sleeping bags, stash box, no crops, no generator, no defense....looking back I can remember the beef with the game was the lack of drops, materials, weapons while dealing with gangs of PvPers and better equipped and more powerful enemies.

This time around...with help from my Level 74 Friend, the experience was far more enjoyable though had to basically re-learn Fallout...so basically after nearly 17 months away and jumping back in, has the game got better, worse, improved here or step backwards there...

Wastelanders...Dealing With The NPC's (should've been there at beginning)....what worked and was the staple of Fallout 4 are now here though not in droves like in FO4. They're scattered about offering various conversations and some are tied together for a mission which is what we did. It's not as clear when you are in a group though....two of joined another which made her "Leader"....so when we came up to a door to go inside we got two options.....Help Leader or continue Solo....so if you hit Solo, even though you're in someone else's Party/Group you will go in solo, experience and choose your responses in the conversations. If you choose Help Leader, you'll go in with them but you cannot make or choose any conversation nor pick up some items and rewards....you are there basically as backup. You also don't get credit for completing the mission, only the Leader....sort of like how co-op works in Far Cry...join someone's game, they get the credit but you can and do pick up some items.. It felt good to see them since it did add that Fallout 4 flavor and look in the game that just had Robots you could talk to.

Map & Location....nothing has really changed though I didn't see or experience bugs and glitches like I saw way back where you would see parts of scenery, landscape, items, building sort of "Phase in & out"....though I did seem to experience a bit of slight lag in the camera movement....no doubt the map and landscape does look good though I still say they seem to have pulled items out of Fallout 4 (like the cars, trucks and military stuff) and gave them a fresh coat of color)...it's vibrant, colorful and almost a step out of Fallout 4 with refreshing look.

Gameplay, Combat and Character Models....well sadly this area seems to have Not Changed....maybe it's me but after playing the likes of Warframe, Dark Souls 3, The Outer Worlds, Elder Scrolls Online and currently AC Odyssey, the character models and combat is like out of XB and PS2.....the jumping looks like out of some 20 year old game, melee is basically two moves and movement in general for a game that came out on PS4, XBO and PC is way, way behind....the gameplay and combat mechanics in The Outer Worlds is far better. Sorry but this part...when you look at the landscape & map....leaves you shaking your head.

Overall had a good time and it's made for for co-op...we didn't have to deal with anyone and frankly I'm on the side that if PvP was to be a part of this, it should've been 100% separated.......two friends...level 74 and 49...are trying to get me up so we can run the harder stuff. We saw some new enemies and all but there's places I dare not go. it was fun to get back into Fallout 76 but time will tell with Wastelanders are they going to win players back or not...

Edison 09-16-20 11:58 AM

New One Wasteland add-on is out, makes enemies scale to your level as well as other stuff. I died quite a bit last night. I tried a couple of events like campfire tales and wolf horde. That being said I would like to try daily ops, but it's going to require a group. Anyone still playing on Xbox? I'm off weekends and usually get on for a bit in the evening to do daily scoreboard stuff.

Why So Blu? 10-01-20 11:43 PM

I was able to get this brand new for $18. I have fast Internet now and the full installation of the disc took a few hours and it's only 77GB and some change. I was only able to play for a little bit. I'm rusty as hell in terms of mechanics.
It said my version was 1.44, so I assume that is the latest version with Wastelanders included?

I'll play more this weekend.

Edison 10-05-20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13815977)
I was able to get this brand new for $18. I have fast Internet now and the full installation of the disc took a few hours and it's only 77GB and some change. I was only able to play for a little bit. I'm rusty as hell in terms of mechanics.
It said my version was 1.44, so I assume that is the latest version with Wastelanders included?

I'll play more this weekend.

Yes, 1.44 is the latest and includes all updates (Wastelanders, and One Wasteland).

Brian Shannon 10-20-20 09:04 AM

Just started back up in 76, really like the new story lines and quest updates.

Looking forward to Shelters and the arrival of the Brotherhood of Steel

Ginwen 10-20-20 08:25 PM

I played for a long time, but with wastelanders and the game board and gold bullion and the reputation, after doing it once it was too grindy for me to be able to stand do it all again. Still, it was fun to do all the new Wastelander stuff once, just not over and over.

Plus there was a massive dupe of presents they did nothing about which made subsequent events uneven (the rewards are just stupid camp stuff and costumes, but if you cheated you get all of them, if you didn’t you have almost no shot at any) which after all that time was the thing that irritated me just enough to push me into playing some other games, and for now, I have no interest.

Why So Blu? 11-16-20 04:40 PM

Played all day yesterday and couple of hours this morning.

Cool thing happened today as I was in my camp making stuff and cooking. This random player walked by - I thought he was gonna bait me into shooting so we could fight. Instead he dropped a duffel bag (I did not have the mic on) and I looked through it and it had a bunch of plans and weapons I did not have. There was a machine gun, a sniper laser gun, etc. The sucky part is that they're all leveled higher than I am, so can't use them yet. What a nice guy. I googled it and saw that it's quite common for really high leveled rando's to drop stuff for lower leveled players every once and a while. I've yet to play with other people since I'm doing the story portion of it.

Why So Blu? 11-24-20 10:36 PM

Don't think it's the Steel Dawn update but went to play some right now and there's a 15GB update now loading. :thumbsup:

EDIT - Just finished the update and it is the Steel Dawn update. Wow, 2-3 weeks early! Nice surprise.

K&AJones 11-25-20 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13848602)
Don't think it's the Steel Dawn update but went to play some right now and there's a 15GB update now loading. :thumbsup:

EDIT - Just finished the update and it is the Steel Dawn update. Wow, 2-3 weeks early! Nice surprise.

Yea...a friend messaged me last night telling me we got it early....well that's a good thing but I had plans to work on two other games...one Red Dead 2 with a new round of Double XP, other Bonuses and specials announced this week. Plus still have AC: Valhalla which is getting a patch.....guess I'll dive into this Holiday Weekend.

Brian Shannon 12-01-20 06:35 AM

Steel Dawn is good, hope there is more content coming as the quest line was left open.

The new Shelters will be great once all three are in the game, lots of content and things to grind for and obtain. The game has finally moved closer to Fallout 4 with random NPC's and ally quests. I am playing more now than I did in the beginning.

Why So Blu? 12-10-20 07:19 PM

It's double XP through the weekend. I finally leveled up to 50 today.

Brian Shannon 12-11-20 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13855987)
It's double XP through the weekend. I finally leveled up to 50 today.

Yes and this also help the score board. Season 2 ends Tuesday

Fallout 76: Inside the Vault - December 2020 Updates (bethesda.net)

Really glad I got back into this game, having fun with Shelters, camp building and the new locations