Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Trademark Suggests A Nintendo 64 Classic Is On The Way.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Trademark Suggests A Nintendo 64 Classic Is On The Way.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Trademark Suggests A Nintendo 64 Classic Is On The Way.

Yeah, I think the NES Tecmo Bowl had all the player names removed, didn't it?

Most of the n64 games I'd like to play that haven't been re released are in licensing limbo like rogue squadron and the wrestling games.
Old 09-22-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Pretty sure that I just said that, but yes.

Old 09-22-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I wish if there were going to release one soon, Nintendo would make an announcement. Otherwise, I going to rebuy the NES Classic.
How is a potential N64 classic preventing you from just buying the NES Classic again? They seem to be pretty easy to get if you regret giving up yours.
Old 09-22-18, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure he wants to make a choice -
Old 09-22-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Most of the n64 games I'd like to play that haven't been re released are in licensing limbo like rogue squadron and the wrestling games.
I think the original NES Tecmo Bowl had no names since they did not have the rights.
Old 09-22-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I think you're confusing third party publishers with licensed properties. None of the games that come pre-loaded on either system are based on a licensed property, like Star Wars.

Licenses expire, and even the original publishers of licensed games do not have the license to re-publish them. [...]
They are both considered licensing agreements. Also, this is Star Wars, not some THQ wrestling game, where the IP license has lapsed and so a three-way deal must be struck. LucasArts was the publisher for Rogue Squadron and Nintendo was the publisher for Shadows of the Empire. Nintendo's publishing deal no longer applies, so the rights for both would be held by LucasArts, which still exists as a licensor. Long story short: it's just like negotiating an agreement for Castlevania from Konami or Mega Man from Capcom. Nintendo just needs to strike a royalty deal with LucasArts.

It all depends on how much money LucasArts demands.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 09-22-18 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I think the original NES Tecmo Bowl had no names since they did not have the rights.
The original had real NFL player names but no team names, just cities. Nintendo removed the player names, since EA holds the (exclusive) video game rights to player names and likenesses.
Old 09-22-18, 08:53 PM

There is no LucasArts. Disney dissolved it. It exists in name only to license out their properties. They can make arrangements with Disney, but my suspicion would be that Disney isn't interested in this and either won't entertain it or will ask for a lot of money. I could be proven wrong though.
Old 09-22-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

I don't know. All these Sony games got re-licensed and re-bundled pretty recently.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...00000000001560

Description
Capture a deranged Dark Jedi. Defeat the Empire’s doomsday army. Race against the universe’s best Podracers. Experience epic Lightsaber™ duels from Episode III. Oh, and save Naboo. Do it all in the STAR WARS™ Throwback Pack, featuring:

• STAR WARS™ Bounty Hunter™
• STAR WARS™: Dark Forces
• STAR WARS™: Racer Revenge
• STAR WARS™: Episode III Revenge of the Sith™
• STAR WARS™ Starfighter™
Old 09-22-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
How is a potential N64 classic preventing you from just buying the NES Classic again? They seem to be pretty easy to get if you regret giving up yours.
I don't have room on my TV but for one. I would prefer to have a N64 Classic if it has the right games I enjoyed. If it's going to be another year or so, I would just buy the NES Classic and play it.
Old 09-22-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

It might happen, but dealing with licenses can be tricky, especially if its Lucasfilm or sports.

They might want enough money that it would be cost-prohibitive to include those games, like adding an extra twenty bucks to the cost of the unit.

It might happen, but nobody should get their hopes up.
Old 09-22-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The second one, Tecmo Super Bowl, is an even better game so if they are going to release one I hope that is it.

Not sure if everyone knows this but for Tecmo Super Bowl fans the game is updated and released in cartridge and Rom form every single year. They add teams, rosters, extra plays, rules, and features when needed (like Penalties, 2 Pt Conversions ... )
Old 09-22-18, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The second one, Tecmo Super Bowl, is an even better game so if they are going to release one I hope that is it.

Not sure if everyone knows this but for Tecmo Super Bowl fans the game is updated and released in cartridge and Rom form every single year. They add teams, rosters, extra plays, rules, and features when needed (like Penalties, 2 Pt Conversions ... )
I don't think they could even keep the name for Tecmo Super Bowl. Maybe they could call it Super Tecmo Bowl or something.

Which version gets updated roms? The PlayStation one?
Old 09-23-18, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The wrestling rights could be tricky. All of the great N64 WWE games were made by THQ, which is no longer I business. Now that 2K has the WWE license, I don't know if they own the rights to all the games THQ made in the past.
Old 09-23-18, 10:17 AM

The likeness agreements for all of the wresters that appear in the game have expired too. WWE was allowed to use their likenesses only as long as they were under contract. So even if WWE or 2K or AKI (the actual developer, which still exists, THQ was just the publisher) had the rights to the code to license it to Nintendo, you would also have to make new agreements with all of the wrestlers (or their estates), or do new development on the game to use the current WWE roster.

For all those reasons, it will likely never happen.
Old 09-23-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is no LucasArts. Disney dissolved it. It exists in name only to license out their properties.
"...so the rights for both would be held by LucasArts, which still exists as a licensor."
Old 09-23-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The likeness agreements for all of the wresters that appear in the game have expired too. WWE was allowed to use their likenesses only as long as they were under contract. So even if WWE or 2K or AKI (the actual developer, which still exists, THQ was just the publisher) had the rights to the code to license it to Nintendo, you would also have to make new agreements with all of the wrestlers (or their estates), or do new development on the game to use the current WWE roster.

Shameless plug (though I'm in no way affiliated with them)but if you like the old school wrestling games give Firepro a try, there are CAWs for most of the modern day wrestlers with more being created ever day. It's a different system but still old school wrestling game style, and if you want you can just create whatever wcw characters you want if they don't already exist.
Old 09-23-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Yeah, as much as I think the wrestling games are some of the best on N64 there’s just no chance in them being on this. You’d be better off getting an N64 and copies of the cartridges or using an emulator. Licensing would never happen for all the former stars. Plus Benoit was in a bunch of those games and I don’t imagine Nintendo or WWF/E would want his likeness used.
Old 09-23-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I don't have room on my TV but for one. I would prefer to have a N64 Classic if it has the right games I enjoyed. If it's going to be another year or so, I would just buy the NES Classic and play it.
An HDMI switch won’t work for you?
Old 09-23-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Shameless plug (though I'm in no way affiliated with them)but if you like the old school wrestling games give Firepro a try, there are CAWs for most of the modern day wrestlers with more being created ever day. It's a different system but still old school wrestling game style, and if you want you can just create whatever wcw characters you want if they don't already exist.
One of the best things about WWF No Mercy on N64 was the "create a wrestler" feature. They could arguably put that game on the Classic with all of the real wrestler likenesses/names removed and just let people create them manually if they want them.

I made a pretty awesome Bruce Lee on that one.
Old 09-23-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
An HDMI switch won’t work for you?
With these tiny portable systems, you don't really need one, just swap out whatever system you want into a plug in HDMI cable on the side of your TV.
Old 09-23-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Here's the list I came up with back in the SNES Classic thread and I still think it's pretty representive of what we'll see (not counting the up in the air quotient of the stuff that got re-released on Rare Replay and Goldeneye):

Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: OoT
The Legend of Zelda: MM
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Starfox 64
Diddy Kong Racing (criminally underrated)
Pokemon Snap
Kirby 64
F-Zero X
Super Smash Bros
Wave Race 64 (not my thing but people like the series)
Paper Mario
Excitebike 64
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (people love Turok)
Star Wars: Roque Squadron
Ogre Battle 64
Mario Golf
Mario Party (I'm going to assume at least one of 1-3 would be included)
Pokemon Puzzle League
Harvest Moon 64

I'd probably say Yoshi Story gets in over Ogre Battle or Excitebike. And if they're going to put in a snowboarding game it better be Snowboard Kids and not that crappy 1080 Snowboarding game.
Old 09-23-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think they could even keep the name for Tecmo Super Bowl. Maybe they could call it Super Tecmo Bowl or something.

Which version gets updated roms? The PlayStation one?
The second NES game. A lot of the files are kept on Tecmobowl.org.
Old 09-23-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
With these tiny portable systems, you don't really need one, just swap out whatever system you want into a plug in HDMI cable on the side of your TV.
Thing I hate about this is one; HDMI switches are expensive or really cheap and crappy and then there aren't ones available with a lot of ports. And two, HDMI connectors are notoriously fragile so I don't really want to keep unplugging and plugging in systems when I want to change them out.

Last edited by tanman; 09-24-18 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
Thing I hate about this is one, HDMI switches are expensive or really cheap and crappy and then there aren't ones available with a lot of ports. And two HDMI connectors are notoriously fragile so I don't really want to keep unplugging and plugging in systems when I want to change them out.
This. Plus my entertainment center is full. I will only have room for one old school console.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.