Reload this Page >

Playstation Classic -- With 20 preloaded games

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation Classic -- With 20 preloaded games

Old 11-26-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Playstation Classic -- With 20 preloaded games

I ended up canceling my preorder for this. I just can't see spending the $100 on something I know I'm not going to get much use out of, especially around Christmas time. IMO this is also the generation that has held up the least when it comes to graphics and gameplay, so I don't feel I would get much enjoyment out of the included games.
Old 11-26-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I ended up canceling my preorder for this. I just can't see spending the $100 on something I know I'm not going to get much use out of, especially around Christmas time. IMO this is also the generation that has held up the least when it comes to graphics and gameplay, so I don't feel I would get much enjoyment out of the included games.
I want to cancel my preorder. But I know that the moment I do and I'm unable to find one anywhere I'll want the thing.
Old 11-26-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I cancelled my pre-order last week as well. The game selection just wasn't there outside of a few titles for me.
Old 11-26-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Keeping mine for hopes of hackability...

...and IQ.
Old 11-26-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Actually I don't really "need" this because I have more than enough games on my XBox One S, PS4 and the 2 Nintendo retro consoles to keep me entertained for many many months. That in addition to all the movies and shows I have to watch.

I have a pre-order as well, but I'm debating whether or not to keep it. Comes out next week and right now you can't even order this on Amazon. I have a feeling this might be hard to find this Christmas. If I don't end up keeping it, I might keep the pre-order and give it to a good friend of mine for Christmas.
Old 11-26-18, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Destructoid is reporting this will be using the PAL versions of 9 games.. even outside of PAL territory.

https://www.destructoid.com/nine-gam...s-532726.phtml

This could not be looking more like a rushed cash-in. So sad. There's no shame in following another company's lead, but you have to at least do it right. And why push so hard to get it out this year if you're not even on the shelves for Black Friday?
Old 11-26-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$100 puts it right outside of impulse purchase for me too. Especially right now when you can spend twice that and get a PS4 or XB1.
Old 11-27-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey reviews are out.

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2018...classic-review

The PlayStation Classic does what it promises: It plays 20 original PlayStation games, and functions well in that regard. But there are few frills, no extras and absolutely no sense of care that the PlayStation represents an important part of Sony’s video game legacy other than that the plastic shell looks authentic. The system is hampered by a list of games that fail to match its “classic” distinction, presumably for business reasons — licensing issues or newly released remasters, for instance. Ultimately, the absence of so many PlayStation classics detracts from the experience of the PlayStation Classic.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/27/...eview-3d-games

There’s a lot that could have been done differently with the PlayStation Classic. The lack of wireless controllers and a dedicated home button are baffling, and there is a list of other classic games that should have been included over the likes of Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six or Cool Boarders 2. Meanwhile, the fact that there are no real modern features at all, such as rewind or visual customization options, makes the PlayStation Classic feel like a minimum effort product from Sony.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11...classic-review

The PlayStation Classic feels more like a halfhearted acknowledgement than a top-shelf tribute to Sony’s era-defining console. The list of 20 games seems to miss more of the system’s greatest hits than it manages to include. Furthermore, the progress of time and television technology has not been kind to the look of many of these early 3D titles, and the inclusion of digital-only controllers makes many of them feel unwieldy by modern standards. The PlayStation Classic is a neat collector’s item that will look great on a shelf in your games room, but it’s a much more attractive ornament than it is a viable gaming system.
https://www.gamesradar.com/playstation-classic-review/

Because of all that, the PlayStation Classic becomes a difficult sell. It retails for the fairly pricey figure of $99.99 / Ł89.99 (in comparison the NES Classic Mini is $59.99 / Ł49.99 and the SNES Classic Mini is $79.99 / Ł69.99), and the presentation of the games, along with the actual line-up of games, is never going to appeal to everyone. It's wonderful for that initial wave of nostalgia - from the console itself, to that loading screen and then starting up one of your childhood games - but be prepared that the glorious nostalgia bath can leave you covered in suds of disappointment.
Old 11-27-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok then. Pre-order cancelled.
Old 11-27-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now I'm REALLY glad I canceled. Sounds like a rushed job to capitalize on what Nintendo succeeded in doing. Maybe they will get it right if they do a PS2 classic.
Old 11-27-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I love to have a PS2 Classic if it came with a better selection of games than the PS Classic does. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Sony went with that lineup of games.
Old 11-27-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm not at all surprised this turned out crap like it did. Didn't have much potential in the first place.
You'd be better off just finding these discs super cheap (they'll play just fine on a PS2 or 3 - you might even find an old functioning PS1 for cheap), and you'll be able to get more/better games than the $100 asking price for this POS.
Old 11-27-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Yeah, I’m glad I didn’t really want this. It seemed like it was going to have issues from the get go with not revealing the full game list up front and weird decisions like cheaping out and not doing Dual Shock controllers (yeah, I know they weren’t with the original console but I’m sure more people preferred playing a lot of games with the joy sticks) and not even including an AC adapter/power cable. Then with the full game list it became evident that they were holding back because it was a shit list for the most part.

Now on top of everything it sounds like it’s no frills and they went with PAL versions of a good chunk of the games. This almost feels like it was done by AT Games or something rather than an in-house Sony release.

Nintendo screwed up with the NES Classic Edition by not having stock available initially, but at least the actual product (as well as the Super Nintendo Classic Edition) was a quality product and felt like it was done with love and care.
Old 11-27-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Also canceled my preorder...no real want for this anymore.
Old 11-27-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Yeah, I'm out as well.
Old 11-27-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I just cancelled my preorder too. I only wanted to play Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Rayman, and Wild Arms. I don't think $110 dollars with 10% Tennessee Sale Tax is worth it.
Old 11-27-18, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I just cancelled my preorder too. I only wanted to play Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Rayman, and Wild Arms. I don't think $110 dollars with 10% Tennessee Sale Tax is worth it.
You can, right now, play Playstation One versions of FF VII, Wild Arms, Rayman 1 & 2 and Tekken 1 & 2 on the PS4. All those PSOne Classic games are available for purchase at $5.99 in the Playstation store.
Old 11-27-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
You can, right now, play Playstation One versions of FF VII, Wild Arms, Rayman 1 & 2 and Tekken 1 & 2 on the PS4. All those PSOne Classic games are available for purchase at $5.99 in the Playstation store.
Thanks! That would be cheaper. I did notice that those titles have: Purchase this PS one® Classic and play it on both your PS3™ and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems!

So, they're playable on the PS4 too?
Old 11-27-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah, not including the power cord, not including dualshock controllers, and having a shitty line-up of games, while having such a hefty price tag... seems like they wanted it to fail from the get-go. None of the games I really expected to see made it on the list... and honestly these "classic consoles" should have a bigger list of games or the ability to "legally" add more.
Old 11-27-18, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Thanks! That would be cheaper. I did notice that those titles have: Purchase this PS one® Classic and play it on both your PS3™ and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems!

So, they're playable on the PS4 too?
Oh shit! Sorry. No, I guess not. I have them but for the PS3. Sorry I made that mistake.

FFVII and Wild Arms 3 are playable on the PS4, but they're different versions than the PS3/Vita ones.
Old 11-27-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I cancelled too. Judging by the reviews and the overall disappointing impressions with it, it doesn't sound like it's worth $100.

I'm better off saving that $100 for something else I'll get more use of. I have a feeling I would probably play it a few times and then it would start gathering dust and become an expensive ornament.
Old 11-27-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Cancelled both my preorders. From what I've read so far, there's just no point to this. Even if it gets more games, the lack of graphics/sound adjustments and no analog stick makes this a no-go even if it gets hacked for more games.
Old 11-28-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Still have not canceled but might. The PSX is what got me back into gaming, and I have more fond memories of the PSX then the NES or SNES. But, by the same token, I played my NES classic twice, and never opened my SNES classic and they are both collecting dust. So I probably should as this most likely will too.
Old 11-28-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I would have preorder if it had the Japanese version. They are much better.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...list/#/slide/1
Old 11-28-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They really fucked this up

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...z-letterboxing

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.