Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Assassins Creed: Odyssey - 10/05/2018

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 09:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Re: Assassins Creed: Odyssey - 10/05/2018

Holy shit. I just looked up the list of story missions for this game. Just so many. I want to do as many side missions, bounties, as can, but this will take me years. Sheesh...
Old 10-21-18, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
20 hours in and the real ultimate villain finally got revealed...

Spoiler:
It's the fucking people who post photos on top of fast travel points, making me again to spend an hour to nudge the icon just right so I can get the fast travel option instead of their dumb picture!
You can make them disappear. I believe if you click R2 it switches between your photos, public photos and no photos. Same with L2 which displays something like campaign, side quests and a few other that I can't recall off the top of my head.

I am level 44 and have been playing through campaign side intermittently. I am tempted to leave the campaign when I get close to the cap at 50 as I know when DLC comes through cap will get raised. I made the mistake with Origins of playing on at the cap only to realize I had maybe gone 20 levels more without leveling up when the DLC came out and the cap raised. Campaign missions also gave way more XP generally.

I am loving the game, as I loved Origins, and I am just amazed at the size of the game world. After around 60 gAme hours I still haven't uncovered the entire map. I am trying to get a lot done before RDR2 this week.

Last edited by james2025a; 10-21-18 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 03:34 PM

I’ve been taking every side mission, bounty, etc. I see some of them are timed. If I don’t complete, is that a big deal? Do I just lose out on some xp and maybe a weapon or 2?
Old 10-21-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I started playing I also took every mission going, including timed. I have come to realize that if you want to make serious progression relatively fast then its better to ignore the timed missions for the moment. Take a few, but don't take on too many at once. I think the timers only start once you choose them, so no point taking any mission you are not certain will be done in the next 24 hours.

I have made it now to level 47 and am concentrating on just opening up the rest of the game world. I want to obtain skill points without getting too much XP as I don't want to hit that 50 cap good soon. I am not having much problem with much in the game at this point, but the level scaling is both a blessing and curse. I prefered it in Origins how regions stay at certain levels, but here the whole world levels up as you do. I had a hell of a time killing the boar in one quest and I hoped to return after significant leveling, only to find it had leveled with me. Explosive arrows helped me win that one.

Oh and a tip. As soon as you have a decent amount of money, buy all the materials you can from each seller. Once you start equipping your ship its amazing how fast you burn through wood and iron. Buying it saves a lot of time than collecting it.

I have so far only engraved one of my weapons. I want to make sure I have level 50 weapons before I start using them. Also, remember you can store weapons and clothes on your ship in the trunk (behind where you steer the ship). I put all my low level stuff in there a d then systematically sell and break them down to make space when needed.

Last edited by james2025a; 10-21-18 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
...the level scaling is both a blessing and curse. I prefered it in Origins how regions stay at certain levels, but here the whole world levels up as you do. I had a hell of a time killing the boar in one quest and I hoped to return after significant leveling, only to find it had leveled with me. Explosive arrows helped me win that one.
I don't care for the level scaling - wish they would've kept that like Origins.

As for that boar... I had a higher level mercenary follow me to the boar's lair, let them duke it out while I watched from a distance, taking on the smaller boars. Mercenary killed the boar, but the boar had nearly killed him, so I finished him off pretty easily, getting credit for both kills!
Old 10-22-18, 05:52 PM

man, that boar was a bitch!
Old 10-22-18, 08:34 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
man, that boar was a bitch!
if you thought that was bad...wait until you fight the boar that farts on you....hardest fight in the game.
Old 10-22-18, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
if you thought that was bad...wait until you fight the boar that farts on you....hardest fight in the game.
That made me chuckle...
Old 10-23-18, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, whilst I understand their choice to include level scaling, I also think you should have the choice. It makes it pointless to show different regions with different levels at three beginning if they all systematically level up with you. I am hoping they include it in an update as it seems a lot of people are pissed about it.

Well I made it to level 50 last night and now not sure what to do. I don't want to waste too much lost XP on leveling up with the cap reached. I having even completed the main storyline yet. I think until DLX is released and the cap raised I will spend time discovering all uncovered locations, stick to timed missions only and the special weekly events. That way I will gain XP and rewards, but won't lose the XP I would get for completing game missions.

I have been addicted as hell to this game and its really been fantastic, if not a little buggy. Curious if the next game is gonna be set in Rome. Seems through logical next step after this and Origins.
Old 10-23-18, 09:32 AM
gamer for life

Curious if the next game is gonna be set in Rome. Seems through logical next step after this and Origins.
There has been talk for years of a game set in Japan, which would work with the assassin angle....would be a nice change for the games..
Old 10-23-18, 05:50 PM

Yeah, whilst I understand their choice to include level scaling, I also think you should have the choice. It makes it pointless to show different regions with different levels at three beginning if they all systematically level up with you. I am hoping they include it in an update as it seems a lot of people are pissed about it.

Well I made it to level 50 last night and now not sure what to do. I don't want to waste too much lost XP on leveling up with the cap reached. I having even completed the main storyline yet. I think until DLX is released and the cap raised I will spend time discovering all uncovered locations, stick to timed missions only and the special weekly events. That way I will gain XP and rewards, but won't lose the XP I would get for completing game missions.

I have been addicted as hell to this game and its really been fantastic, if not a little buggy. Curious if the next game is gonna be set in Rome. Seems through logical next step after this and Origins.
explain to me this level cap. why can't you finish the game?
Old 10-23-18, 09:00 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by OldBoy
explain to me this level cap. why can't you finish the game?
He does not want to play the game if he is no longer leveling up...especially since a future patch will probably extend the level cap above 50...

I agree with him that it sucks once you hit 50 and you don't really get any more rewards.
Old 10-23-18, 09:03 PM

But you still want to finish the game and see how it ends, don’t you? I’m sure you don’t have to be level 50 to finish...
Old 10-24-18, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could keep playing the game and complete it for sure, but as Fox said, I don't want time lose level XP once I hit that cap of 50. Same thing happened with Origins and I lost around 20 level ups once the first DLC came out due to continuing to play the game. With RDR2 close I am. OK with playing this less until DLC gets released. I don't wish I didn't have to as I am loving it. I will do as I say though and keep doing the aspects of the game that won't provide too much XP.
Old 10-24-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

It is...when Origins came out and right before Odyssey, Ubisoft said this was going to be a Trilogy of this time period...Ancient Egypt, Sparta and then Rome. Will be interesting to see just what they'll come up with since they've announced no new AC Game for 2019

As to Ancient Japan & Asia...there's been rumors and talk of that coming later which would seem a likely choice. But would depend on the era because they could go with a Trilogy of Asia with Japan, China and Mongolia...now that would be interesting....
Old 10-24-18, 09:44 AM
gamer for life

When Creed came out with Black Flag, the ship combat was so different than anything the games had done before, it refreshed the series for me. This happened again with Origins and now Odyssey with the shift toward loot and RPG elements.

A change to Japan/China would be another nice shift I think that would keep the series exciting. I am not sure if the focus would shift more toward stealth again, but it is a setting that really would make the series feel new.
Old 10-27-18, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m a newbie and struggling with the boar. I get to where his 4 buddies show up but can’t seem to beat him. I have the ability to regenerate health but doesn’t seem to help over all
Old 10-27-18, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Redeyejoker
I’m a newbie and struggling with the boar. I get to where his 4 buddies show up but can’t seem to beat him. I have the ability to regenerate health but doesn’t seem to help over all
yeah, he's a bitch. got to stick with it. take 3 boars out and leave 1 almost dead, but not quite. go to work on big guy. dodge and parry when he/they attack. keep on the move, but get in big guy hits. he regenerates health too, up until a point, i believe. keep pounding away with swords or daggers and hopefully you have the poison or fire ability and regenerate health ability. took me a long while, but finally got it...
Old 10-29-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well once you get the explosive arrows it really seemed to help against the Boar for me. It kept it at a distance and any of the others surrounding it tended to take damage as well. It was a pain though and glad i got it done.

Well i have kept on doing missions that are timed and decent money rewards and the weekly events. I was going around to visit all locations with question marks, but i realized thats just also wasting XP, so stopped that as well. So i am gonna just concentrate on the weekly missions and a few timed mission until DLC. I have to admit that at this point i can take on most things in the game with ease, with one exception. the mission similar to the Boar, but with the Lion. Finding that tough, so need to concentrate on it, but don't want to lose any XP gained from it. So likely take a rest, especially as i am about 10 hours into RDR2 as well.
Old 10-29-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I said this before, but see if you can get a mercenary, one at a level or two higher than you, to follow you to the boar - get them to fight each other, hang back and take care of the smaller boars, and then finish off the survivor between the boar/mercenary fight, who's health should be way low (if the mercenary kills the boar, you'll get credit for it).
Old 11-14-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, she sounds way better.

I will probably do what I did last year. I again have a lot of discounted Microsoft spacebucks. I will wait until the Black Friday Sale and then by the Gold Edition at a discount. Last year I got AC Origins GOLD for $69.99 on 11/18/17. Totally worth waiting a month for a deal like that.
Today's the Day!

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - $40.19 - 33% off
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - DELUXE EDITION - $53.59 - 33% off
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - GOLD EDITION - $64.99 - 35% off
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - ULTIMATE EDITION - $77.99 - 35% off

So the question I guess I have is this :
Is this extra content that usually costs $20 more in the Deluxe and Ultimate versions of the game worth spending $13 more spacebucks on? Is it useful content or just cosmetic stuff that you won't keep using?

Wish it came with some Helix creadits because it looks like I will still have to spend $10 on that for the permanent XP booster.

Last edited by Decker; 11-14-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Or just wait another month or so once Target combines their DPCI numbers and pick up the gold edition

I will say that the weapons that came with the gold edition for the last game were more powerful than anything else I picked up for most of the game until I started the DLC.
Old 11-14-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
So the question I guess I have is this :
Is this extra content that usually costs $20 more in the Deluxe and Ultimate versions of the game worth spending $13 more spacebucks on? Is it useful content or just cosmetic stuff that you won't keep using?
Don't spend any extra money on weapons/armor. It's all mostly cosmetic, and will become under-leveled as soon as you level up. There's plenty of that gear within the game that you get for beating missions and certain enemies and loot chests.

The DLC (new missions/map) might be worth it, but it's not out yet.
Old 11-14-18, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I was going to buy the Ultimate Edition, but then I compared what came in that vs the Gold edition, and bought the Gold instead.
Old 11-14-18, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Don't spend any extra money on weapons/armor. It's all mostly cosmetic, and will become under-leveled as soon as you level up. There's plenty of that gear within the game that you get for beating missions and certain enemies and loot chests.

The DLC (new missions/map) might be worth it, but it's not out yet.
when is DLC out?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.