Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-10-18, 02:29 PM   #76
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Re: Assassins Creed: Odyssey - 10/05/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
and just to be clear, i'm buying RDR on release and will probably start up right away, but if i don't it's still there and that is good enough for me...
For me, anyway, I'm really not the type to juggle more than one game (unless the other is something pick-up-and-play, like Overwatch or Splatoon). If I'm not going to be able to get to another game anyway, I might as well hold off, and maybe the price will have dropped by the time I can. (...or, as in this case, get it for no money out of my pocket since my birthday is right around the corner.)
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 10-10-18, 03:15 PM   #77
beckham

Iíll talk to you Oldboy.

I played origins and liked but didnít love it. The appeal wore off. Iím a lover of looter RPGs like division/destiny, so this is addictive to me.

I convinced myself to buy gold to play early and after one week and forty hours later, I am forcing myself to not play it at all today as itís getting ridiculous.

I heard there was an XP/level wall around the area Iím at, but it hasnít really bothered me yet.
Old 10-10-18, 07:15 PM   #78
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

The timing of the release date doesnít seem to have hurt sales.

Old 10-10-18, 10:01 PM   #79
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckham View Post
I’ll talk to you Oldboy.

I played origins and liked but didn’t love it. The appeal wore off. I’m a lover of looter RPGs like division/destiny, so this is addictive to me.

I convinced myself to buy gold to play early and after one week and forty hours later, I am forcing myself to not play it at all today as it’s getting ridiculous.

I heard there was an XP/level wall around the area I’m at, but it hasn’t really bothered me yet.
i know. addictive as hell. i think about playing and stuff. i love that type of itch in gaming. glad your enjoying as well...
Old 10-11-18, 06:54 PM   #80
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
The timing of the release date doesnít seem to have hurt sales.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoxTCg5D...=1k2te8y8sbw8n
what were sales? compared to others in franchise?
Old 10-12-18, 10:43 AM   #81
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
what were sales? compared to others in franchise?
If you look at the articles in regards to the Odyssey sales, Ubisoft doesn't mention actual sales number.
Old 10-12-18, 10:58 AM   #82
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well..it's been reported that the "Physical Sales" sales compared to Odyssey were down like 22-24%. But...I've seen a trend with that on several games so take that however you want. But the sales figure might be along the line of $$$ more than per actual game. All this might change over the course of a few months especially after Black Friday which is still six weeks away but long enough for a lot of players to probably hold off.

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 10-12-18, 11:10 AM   #83
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Well..it's been reported that the "Physical Sales" sales compared to Odyssey were down like 22-24%.
That was just the UK. Worldwide, including digital (which in turn includes PC), first-week sales are stronger than Origins. Ubisoft hasn't indicated by how much.

I'm very glad to hear that the game has been so well-received and that it's enjoying the success it should. Very much looking forward to playing it!
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 10-12-18, 03:07 PM   #84
mhg83
DVD Talk Legend

Looks great but I still have Origins to start (only put 5 hours in lol) Plus red dead 2 right around the corner it's best I wait till BF .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 10-12-18, 10:29 PM   #85
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
That was just the UK. Worldwide, including digital (which in turn includes PC), first-week sales are stronger than Origins. Ubisoft hasn't indicated by how much.

I'm very glad to hear that the game has been so well-received and that it's enjoying the success it should. Very much looking forward to playing it!
you won't be sorry...
Old 10-12-18, 10:47 PM   #86
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Posting this article for information purposes only, NOT as a criticism of the game.

Assassinís Creed Odysseyís best feature costs an extra 10 bucks

Permanent XP Boost makes Assassinís Creed Odyssey a better game

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 10-12-18, 10:53 PM   #87
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

I mentioned in the Orgins thread that I would have bailed on the game early on if I didn't get that level boost with the Gold Edition. I don't want to grind that much in my open world games.
Old 10-12-18, 11:03 PM   #88
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

The Gold Edition of Origins came with some Helix credits. Does the Gold edition of Odyssey?

Old 10-13-18, 12:25 AM   #89
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Is it worth it and what does it do to character exactly?
Old 10-13-18, 12:30 AM   #90
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Well, you could clink the link. But the gist is :

For 1,000 Helix Credits ($9.99), the Permanent XP Boost gives the player 50 percent extra experience points for the remainder of the campaign. Accumulated XP raises the hero’s level and, with each level, they receive ability points that can be spent to unlock not just the best combat moves that Odyssey has to offer, but a number of quality-of-life settings that make for a more enjoyable experience.

For example, the series is known for stealthy assassinations (it’s called Assassin’s Creed!). But in Odyssey, you can’t insta-assassinate a character if they’re too far above your level. Say your character is level 8 and the enemy is level 11. You can barely scratch them; your dagger lands with the impact of a soggy toothpick.

Permanent XP Boost changes that. Not only does your level rise faster, you also unlock dramatically more powerful assassination moves earlier in the campaign. Which is to say, using the $10 option makes Alexios or Kassandra more likely to be the same level as their target, and gives your character stronger moves to deal a lethal blow rather than a torpid poke. You’re paying for Ubisoft to make you feel like the hero you should be in this sort of game.

This gets at a frustrating point: Odyssey feels more like an Assassin’s Creed game with this option purchased than it does without. The mode doesn’t just make Odyssey more accessible; it makes it altogether more enjoyable.

Old 10-13-18, 12:40 AM   #91
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Thanks. I did click link, but wanted little more layman’s terms. Seems good though and since playing might just get it bc while I do love assassinating, sneaking on a higher level enemy won’t assassinate and then things just get messy...
Old 10-13-18, 12:53 AM   #92
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

I hate "pay to win" model but reading that piece, it sounds like it's totally worth it (even though it's kinda bullshit to have to pay $10 just to make the game more fun and accessible). When I get this game on BF, I will try to also grab some discounted MS Spacebucks and buy the required Helix credits at a bit of a discount, if possible.

Old 10-13-18, 12:57 AM   #93
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Tbh: I find it pretty accessible as is. Having never played or maybe a few minutes of Part 2, I think, I haven’t died as many times as in other games. That’s saying something. But, I could see how, from playing, this perk would be worthwhile...
Old 10-13-18, 09:26 AM   #94
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

On the one hand, it's pretty shitty to make people pay for a feature that's basically a lowered difficulty mode. It's not like this XP boost is extra content that required extra work on their part. But on the other hand, this is a game you bought to play, and you can level up just fine by playing it and all it's side-quests. If you find that grindy, well, then every game is grindy.
Old 10-13-18, 09:49 AM   #95
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I agree. I find it shitty that they are doing the pay to win with XP. Just play the game and level up by doing all of the side crap. You have to do it anyways if you want to 100 percent the game or get anywhere close. Now, an XP boost for Karnov back in the day and I would have been sold.
Old 10-13-18, 10:42 AM   #96
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

well, i fucked up, per usual...i kept hitting the buy helix for $9.99 bc my credits for the first was still showing as 0, so thought did something wrong. hit it 2 more times and then stopped. called MS to try and get refunds, but they said no.

i guess it was on some kind of delay bc they were all charged and then all showed up. oh well, i bought all the maps. i think those will come in handy considering i love finding and exploring for stuff and this game begs for it. but, i do need help so these will...
Old 10-13-18, 10:52 AM   #97
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
well, i fucked up, per usual...i kept hitting the buy helix for $9.99 bc my credits for the first was still showing as 0, so thought did something wrong. hit it 2 more times and then stopped. called MS to try and get refunds, but they said no.

i guess it was on some kind of delay bc they were all charged and then all showed up. oh well, i bought all the maps. i think those will come in handy considering i love finding and exploring for stuff and this game begs for it. but, i do need help so these will...
Ubisoft thanks you.
Old 10-13-18, 11:11 AM   #98
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

yeah, i guess i owed them or it was G-d's payback for cop not giving me a ticket when got pulled over yesterday. would have been a slew of tickets, he said, for something so stupid, on my part, but he didn't, so guess extra $20 rather than hundreds is better
Old 10-13-18, 11:33 AM   #99
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well...I had mentioned I'd rather give Origins a try first before playing this one...and lordly behold, current PSN Mega sale has Origins 1/2 off at $29.00.

So now the question is.....think Origins might go lower around BF or stay around that price? And...compared to Odyssey, really that much difference in terms of gameplay; close to same or much better? Hold off and wait and see come BF on Odyssey?...the 1/2 off on Origins is very tempting to me and I love the Ancient Egypt setting...but Odyssey with Sparta.....that has a slight nod.

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 10-13-18, 12:05 PM   #100
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
So now the question is.....think Origins might go lower around BF or stay around that price?
Origins was $29.99 at Best Buy a couple months back (or $24 with GCU), and Target had it for $29.99 as a Cartwheel thing in July. I can definitely see it being that price again on Black Friday, and maybe even down to $20. I can't remember how often you see previous AC games on sale on BF when a new one has just come out, though.
-Patton Oswalt
Sponsored Links