DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Assassins Creed: Odyssey - 10/05/2018 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/645179-assassins-creed-odyssey-10-05-2018-a.html)

K&AJones 04-17-20 07:48 AM

Re: Assassins Creed: Odyssey - 10/05/2018

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13725145)
There are also special bows and engravings that you can get that turn all arrows into poison and fire arrows without having to craft them. You might not be that far into the game for those to start showing up.

I really haven't sen Special Bows...just Gold Armor Pcs that are part of Set Pcs.....I'm wondering though getting some of these early on; if later I do end up getting a Full Set if and how much it would be worth upgrading. Though I'm just 27, taking a item and upgrading it from 22-24 is still a lot....I've seen some set pcs though that would seem to be worth it...I think there's a Spartan Warrior Set or something that with all pcs you get a extra 50% Damage Boost...that would come in handy with those Conquest Battles.....

At first I though I had found a "Easter Egg" in the Foundry with the four Forges.....The Spear, The Sword, Some Polearm looking weapons and then a huge two-hand Battle Axe...which I first thought part of the future AC: Ragnarok.... a Viking Axe....

Osiris3657 04-18-20 08:54 AM

Looking forward to playing this. I just ordered the Ultimate Edition from the PS Store. $29.99 (normally goes for $119.99)

lwhy? 04-18-20 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 13725372)
I really haven't sen Special Bows...just Gold Armor Pcs that are part of Set Pcs.....I'm wondering though getting some of these early on; if later I do end up getting a Full Set if and how much it would be worth upgrading. Though I'm just 27, taking a item and upgrading it from 22-24 is still a lot....I've seen some set pcs though that would seem to be worth it...I think there's a Spartan Warrior Set or something that with all pcs you get a extra 50% Damage Boost...that would come in handy with those Conquest Battles.....

At first I though I had found a "Easter Egg" in the Foundry with the four Forges.....The Spear, The Sword, Some Polearm looking weapons and then a huge two-hand Battle Axe...which I first thought part of the future AC: Ragnarok.... a Viking Axe....

There's an armor set later on that will resurrect you with full health if you die. I have that equipped and I upgrade it, but it costs a lot of drachmae and materials.

K&AJones 04-19-20 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13726025)
There's an armor set later on that will resurrect you with full health if you die. I have that equipped and I upgrade it, but it costs a lot of drachmae and materials.

I've started to at least put pieces of Legendary Sets in storage and see if I can use them later....shame don't get a Mercenary Discount on Upgrade, just Buying and Engraving which at Tier 8 now I'm saving a lot. I'm at a very important part of the Story now regarding...Mom...but I've stalled at getting clues to Cultists for some reason along with getting and finding Tablets to upgrade the Ship which so far is doing pretty good....I have four Legendary Lieutenants with good boost in Arrow, Javelin and Stamina....I hardly board anymore just lighting them up and then cut in half....just need tablets to upgrade....

Rob V 06-04-20 11:54 AM

I'm about 6 or so hours into this game and LOVING it. While I didn't clear out every ounce of the map in Origins, I find myself exploring every inch in Odyssey. I'm playing as Kassandra.

I do find "stealing" as an odd addition to this game. If it's there, I'm taking it. Do you get a different ending if you steal often?

Noonan 06-04-20 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13752727)
I'm about 6 or so hours into this game and LOVING it. While I didn't clear out every ounce of the map in Origins, I find myself exploring every inch in Odyssey. I'm playing as Kassandra.

I do find "stealing" as an odd addition to this game. If it's there, I'm taking it. Do you get a different ending if you steal often?

You picked the right character. Her voice acting is far superior. I don't think stealing effects anything, IIRC. It's been a good few months since I've fired it up. You have easily 100+ hours ahead of you; enjoy the ride!

lwhy? 06-04-20 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13752727)

The only thing that happens if there are people around that catch you stealing, you will get a bounty and the citizens might try to fight you.

Rob V 06-04-20 01:39 PM

^ Ah, ok... good to know. I try to play "just" characters generally... but I can't pass up the free cash :)

Rob V 10-19-20 11:14 AM

Finally wrapped this up... I figure I have over 100 hours into it and am glad to be done. I really hope Valhalla cuts out some of the nonsense missions and gives us a bit better story and less filler.

I enjoyed the Greek setting more than Origins but I enjoyed the Origins story far more.

uteotw 10-19-20 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13826169)
Finally wrapped this up... I figure I have over 100 hours into it and am glad to be done. I really hope Valhalla cuts out some of the nonsense missions and gives us a bit better story and less filler.

I enjoyed the Greek setting more than Origins but I enjoyed the Origins story far more.

Could you please give me any guidance on what I need to do to wrap this up? I am 87 hours in, have really enjoyed it, but am ready to be done, def. before the PS5 launch date. Like you mentioned, there are just SO many side/nonsense missions. Right now I am about to get the last Atlantis artifact. Thanks.

Rob V 10-20-20 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw (Post 13826369)
Could you please give me any guidance on what I need to do to wrap this up? I am 87 hours in, have really enjoyed it, but am ready to be done, def. before the PS5 launch date. Like you mentioned, there are just SO many side/nonsense missions. Right now I am about to get the last Atlantis artifact. Thanks.

you really only need to complete the main Odyssey missions... if you stick to those, you'll blow thru the cult leaders and get the final cut scene.

I did get all the Atlantis artifacts and while they were cool, Medusa was difficult as hell and in the end, the cut scene was one of the longest, most boring things about the game. It did offer a cool tie-in to the present so if you're on the last one, you might as well finish it.

uteotw 10-20-20 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13826639)
you really only need to complete the main Odyssey missions... if you stick to those, you'll blow thru the cult leaders and get the final cut scene.

I did get all the Atlantis artifacts and while they were cool, Medusa was difficult as hell and in the end, the cut scene was one of the longest, most boring things about the game. It did offer a cool tie-in to the present so if you're on the last one, you might as well finish it.

Ugh that's exactly where I'm at, Medusa. After that I'll focus purely on the Odyssey missions. It's been loads of fun, but I'm getting close to being over it... Thanks.

Rob V 10-20-20 10:15 AM

^^ So just do yourself a favor and youtube how to beat her. It's not the hack n slash method. Took me at least 10 tries (on easy) even after watching the tutorial. I suck at gaming but that was beyond frustrating.

uteotw 10-20-20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13826703)
^^ So just do yourself a favor and youtube how to beat her. It's not the hack n slash method. Took me at least 10 tries (on easy) even after watching the tutorial. I suck at gaming but that was beyond frustrating.

I am absolutely not above doing that and will do so. Thx for the tip.

Edit: So glad I took this advice. Watched one YouTube, followed it, and was able to beat her on the first try. It is a LONG battle and I went through like a million arrows. At one point when all those dudes are wailing on you while you try to hide behind a pillar I was in the red, probably 3/4 into the battle, so it was a pretty close call. Phew

ViewAskewbian 11-10-20 06:21 PM

Love the Discovery Tour mode.

ViewAskewbian 05-25-21 12:27 PM

Oy, the person that said this game is a long one wasn't kidding. I just hit 90 hours and only started the chapter 7 missions (currently the one where I have to help somebody win at the Olympics). I admit, I find myself really getting lost in the game design and it's world. Like origins, I have accentuated my playing watching some documentaries and such as I go along about ancient Greece, Sparta, Greek mythology.

Glad I choose the female version of the character because, now with the armour set, I can pretend Kasandra is Wonder Woman :p

I think enjoying the world so much I don't mind the side missions like "please delivery this over there". There's enough cool stuff in between (read: the Atlantis missions). I am enjoying the story, too, regarding the cult and links of family between the history of the time period.

looking forward to diving deeper into Discovery tour once beating the game...eventually. :p

Edit to add: I also like that Bayek, and Aya are my ship Lieutenants.

davidh777 06-06-21 09:32 AM

I’m at level 29 with still a long way to go. :lol: I do some of the “run 300 meters and hand this to someone” missions as a cheap XP boost, but mostly I’m roaming around discovering areas. The first time I tried to take a fort, I just charged in and quickly got killed by reinforcements and bounty hunters, but now I enjoy the “Die Hard in Greece” approach, though it takes a long time. I’ve also gotten good enough at the combat commands to take out the bounty hunters instead of just paying them off, but I need to dig more into the subtleties of the equipment.

For some reason I picked the male character and soon regretted it, but I had already started leveling up and didn’t want to start over.

Although I own most of the AC games through freebies and whatnot, I went several years between them. Syndicate was fun but it took me a while to reacquaint myself with the mechanics of the game such as synchronizing the viewpoints, so I decided to jump back in immediately with Odyssey and am not regretting it. After I finally get through this one, I might wait a while before I start any of the others, though. :)

I was a mythology/Trojan War nut as a kid, so I’m enjoying the setting.

lwhy? 06-06-21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13942495)
I’m at level 29 with still a long way to go. :lol: I do some of the “run 300 meters and hand this to someone” missions as a cheap XP boost, but mostly I’m roaming around discovering areas. The first time I tried to take a fort, I just charged in and quickly got killed by reinforcements and bounty hunters, but now I enjoy the “Die Hard in Greece” approach, though it takes a long time. I’ve also gotten good enough at the combat commands to take out the bounty hunters instead of just paying them off, but I need to dig more into the subtleties of the equipment.

For some reason I picked the male character and soon regretted it, but I had already started leveling up and didn’t want to start over.

You're missing out. The game is so much better playing as Kassandra.

I love to charge into forts at times. I was surrounded by twenty people one time and I was able to take them all out. I do take the stealth approach at times. Rushing in can get you into trouble at times if there are bounty hunters that are 5-10 levels above you and they one or two shot kill you.

Rob V 06-07-21 06:21 AM

when attacking forts, I always tried to take out the "alarm" first... getting surrounded by 3-4 bounty hunters (or more) can be tough until you're much, much higher.

davidh777 06-24-21 12:10 PM

Up to level 41 now. I was content to keep exploring the maps and taking out forts, but then I got a hankering to start making more progress on the story and am now gradually taking out the cultists.

I really suck at ships and avoid all those missions unless they’re required. :lol:

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13942514)
You're missing out. The game is so much better playing as Kassandra.

I love to charge into forts at times. I was surrounded by twenty people one time and I was able to take them all out. I do take the stealth approach at times. Rushing in can get you into trouble at times if there are bounty hunters that are 5-10 levels above you and they one or two shot kill you.

Yeah, the dude is fine, but I’ll probably go back and play her for at least a bit.

I randomly ran across a bounty Hunter the other day and tried to stealth him, but it barely made a dent be cause he turned out to be 11 levels above me. :lol:

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13942719)
when attacking forts, I always tried to take out the "alarm" first... getting surrounded by 3-4 bounty hunters (or more) can be tough until you're much, much higher.

In my last fort, I boobytrapped the brazier then took out all the guards. The only one left was the polemarch, who then announced that he was going to run to the brazier and call for reinforcements. I enjoyed watching him run over and blow himself up. :lol: :up: