Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

JUST CAUSE 4: Xbox One / PS4

Old 02-09-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: JUST CAUSE 4: Xbox One / PS4

Well guys I tried giving an honest opinion as I played the game from day one. After feeling ripped off by JC3 from a day one purchase I wanted to ensure that people got an honest opinion to either support a great game or earn people of the potential disappointment they might have faced.

I felt pretty cheated with JC4 when I started playing and it felt inferior to JC2 and more like a PS2 game than a PS4 game. I was once again massively disappointed. I could see that there was the potential for a solid game here, but areas that they needed to address from JC3 had happened, but in doing so they seem to have failed to achieve the few successful parts of JC3 (namely clean looking action).

After the release of the patch I decided to give the game a second chance and I was pleasantly surprised that it had received significant improvements. It was not perfect, and probably still isn't (not played it in a while now), but it's nice to see developers actually working to try and right a sinking ship.

I would not recommend the game when it came out. Post update I would say its maybe worth it (action and blowing stuff up is still a lot of fun, and if you like Bionic Commando style games then this is probably right up tour alley), but probably not at full price. How do I feel now? Probably pretty much the same. At $20 it will be worth taking a chance with. Not sure of the future for this series as it feels like they have pissed away a lot of goodwill with fans of the series.
Old 02-09-19, 07:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

that's too bad, but great insights james. i'll get when it hits Game Pass, like JC3...
Old 03-05-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, this thing hit game pass already? It must have really tanked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com..._cause_4_just/
Old 03-05-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Damn, this thing hit game pass already? It must have really tanked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com..._cause_4_just/
As commented earlier in the thread, reviews were garbage, the game was rated very negatively, etc... Hell it's already dropped to half the MSRP on PC as of several weeks ago.
Old 03-06-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome, I've been waiting for this. I've played all of the JC games but sure as heck wasn't going to buy this one.
Old 03-07-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's actually not terrible, at least not after that last batch of updates, but it's definitely lacking.
Kinda fun to play in bursts, but nothing to grab you beyond that.
Old 03-07-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just need to get to full chaos to get the platinum but don't feel like grinding for 2-3 hours per level for the last two levels. Sucks to just blow the same stuff up over and over again after you have already wiped the map of everything else to do.
Old 03-07-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I downloaded it for Game pass and while it’s fun, my main complaint is that it’s too complicated. There’s menu after menu of changing this and that. It’s like:

”Ok we need you to get the helicopter. First pull up this menu, press this button, then this button, and hold this button. Now select a pilot. Now change his loadout by pressing these buttons. Now select this area of the map. Press this button. Now choose an option. Now press this button. Now select this.”

I literally just exited out at that point. I’m so glad I didn’t buy this. It actually makes me want to play JC3.
Old 03-07-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I just need to get to full chaos to get the platinum but don't feel like grinding for 2-3 hours per level for the last two levels. Sucks to just blow the same stuff up over and over again after you have already wiped the map of everything else to do.
I put like 10 hours into my rental on the PS4 and now it has come to Game Pass. Trying to decide if I have the stomach to do all of it over again just to get to where I currently am on the PS4 or if I should just never play this game again.
Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I downloaded it for Game pass and while itís fun, my main complaint is that itís too complicated. Thereís menu after menu of changing this and that. Itís like:

ĒOk we need you to get the helicopter. First pull up this menu, press this button, then this button, and hold this button. Now select a pilot. Now change his loadout by pressing these buttons. Now select this area of the map. Press this button. Now choose an option. Now press this button. Now select this.Ē

I literally just exited out at that point. Iím so glad I didnít buy this. It actually makes me want to play JC3.
Yeah, those are really annoying tutorials and way too complicated. Fortunately you don't need to do any of that stuff to play the game. I find the other non-tethering abilities totally useless.
Old 03-07-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I find the other non-tethering abilities totally useless.
The balloons are pretty awesome -- essential for some challenges if you're trying to unlock every vehicle and make plenty of other things trivial (like making those giant stone heads float up and follow you). I didn't use them remotely as often as the tethers of course, and I barely touched the boosters.
Old 05-23-19, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I downloaded the latest update yesterday and gave the game another spin. I have to admit it, but just like the support that No Mans Sky has continually gotten since launch, this has shaped up to be a great game. Its now at a point where the graphics, world, and gameplay are what they should be. Its still not perfect, but few games are. After the mess that was JC3 I just wanted another great game in the mold of JC2. On launch we didn't get that, but now I am happy to say that JC4 is the follow up we all wanted. If anyone hasn't given the game a try then I would highly recommend it as its a blast. The wing suit flying mechanics have always been fun in this game, but now it feels even better.
Old 05-23-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Thanks, James. I have yet to fire this game up and I'm glad I waited.
Old 05-23-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its good that you didnt boot it up closer to launch as the game really was a mess at that point. The graphics were shocking. They looked last gen at best. The graphics have received a number of updates it seems, and along with the next lighting update this time, the games very nice indeed. The one thing that still remains which is very clunky is having to go through menu after menu for drops and what not. Sure they could have come up with a rudimentary wheel icon, such as the one used in Wildlands, to make this more efficient.