DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-02-18, 10:49 AM   #1
Mark Shepherd
Cool New Member

Hi. New to Forum. Question about a Sega Genesis I bought on ebay.

Hello everyone,

I bought a used Sega Genesis (Model II) on ebay. And it works. I played a game on it. It came with two controllers. One was a regular standard genesis controller. And another one was like a Turbo controller with six buttons.

The standard genesis controller is the only one that works. The turbo controller won't. Unless it put the switch all the way to fast (turbo) then it starts going nutts and automatically selecting stuff without me pushing buttons.

I am wondering if there is an issue with the controller or the Sega Genesis? The Sega Genesis says made in Taiwan. I thought maybe this was a illegitimate console. But I opened up the system and the metal plate covering the motherboard is full of spots of rust. And on another forum, AtariAge forum they said that Sega Genesis model II were made practically everywhere, from Japan, to China, and yes even Taiwan.

The Genesis I have feels kind of cheap. The plastic feels cheap. I remember playing the Sega Genesis when I was a kid and I don't remember it feeling like it was made out of cheap plastic. I always remember the Sega Genesis feeling and looking really strong and durable.

So anyone have any thoughts? Do I keep buying Model II's and trying out the controller in different machines? What's funny is that the only thing that looks and feels durable about this set up I bought on ebay is the Controller that doesn't work. It actually looks like it is made out of better plastic and it says, "Made in China." The controller and system that says Made in Taiwan feels flimsy and cheap in comparison.

Thanks
Old 08-02-18, 11:07 AM   #2
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hi. New to Forum. Question about a Sega Genesis I bought on ebay.

I assume you've swapped controller ports to see if the port is the issue.

These controllers are old. Sometimes the connections break or decay. If one controller is working and the other isn't, it's probably the controller.
Old 08-02-18, 11:16 AM   #3
Mark Shepherd
Cool New Member

Yeah I tried the bad controller in the second port. That wouldn't work at all. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-02-18, 11:34 AM   #4
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

I have no advice for you, but welcome to the forum.
Old 08-02-18, 11:39 AM   #5
Noonan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like the controller is sticking. If you're able, I'd try to take it apart and clean out the inside. Buttons are registering as being pressed when they're not.
Old 08-02-18, 12:29 PM   #6
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shepherd View Post
Yeah I tried the bad controller in the second port. That wouldn't work at all. Thanks for your help.
If you are experiencing the same issue in both ports, that sounds like a controller issue. But that also doesn't mean that the system isn't a fake either.
Old 08-02-18, 01:55 PM   #7
Mike86
DVD Talk Legend

Not saying it couldn’t be a fake but the Genesis isn’t exactly uncommon and I wouldn’t think there are that many fakes out there. When you’re into retro the bigger thing to be wary of is the games.
Old 08-02-18, 02:25 PM   #8
Mark Shepherd
Cool New Member

Mike, Matty, Noonan. Thanks a bunch! A lot to process there. The reason I thought it might be a fake is because I hear that a lot of the reproduction black market games are being made in Taiwan. I know that's where they are making tons of Pokemon games that are fake.

I'll try that with the controller. Whenever something is small like that and I take it apart I usually break it! But hey if it is already broke then what's the harm. I know the Sega Genesis I have the power button sticks in half the time I press it. I hate that.

Also the plastic cover to me looks practically brand new. But it was supposedly used when I bought it on ebay. When I opened it up the metal plate covering the mother board definitely has spots of rust all over it. So it is not new. I also saw something online that if the metal plate covers the entire motherboard (where you see the air holes in the back) then it is a bad Sega Genesis. And if it only covers it up partially then it is a good Genesis.

But I hear that Sega Genesis are really common. So I don't know why they would make reproduction ones. Maybe this is why Sega went out of business. Maybe their production standards starting going low, almost to the point of what they were making started looking like repos. Anyway thanks everyone. I'll just be on the look out for a Sega Genesis model II that doesn't look so cheap.
Old 08-02-18, 03:18 PM   #9
Mike86
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, games are a different story. There’s so much there that bootleggers try to pull fast ones on collectors with. Anything from reproducing labels and sticking them on common cartridges to make it look like a rare game to repro boards people try and pass off as the real deal and still try and charge top dollar for. Sometimes just slapping a reproduction label on a cartridge with a damaged label too (which can diminish the value of some rarer games). I’ve heard about those kinds of things more with NES and SNES games but I don’t doubt there are some rare Genesis games that have been faked.
Old 08-02-18, 03:36 PM   #10
wtsang

I wouldn't worry that the console is a fake. As has already been touched on, Sega had production in Japan, China, Taiwan, and Malaysia. The varying quality of controllers is very obvious when you have them all in hand, yet each is official. When you've seen a selection of everything it's quite clear Sega were more concerned with profits than quality control.

The Model 2 itself, given that it was a cost-cutting measure vs. the bigger original model, doesn't surprise me at all in having noticeably cheap plastics, etc. And there are a huge number of Model 2 revisions, varying in quality in a number of ways. If you want something that feels more substantial I'd look for a nice M1 or check out more 2's. But maybe start trolling yard sales and retro stores rather than continuing to roll the dice on eBay.

There's info online on the different versions of the console if you search. They even affect the quality of video and sound output, and - again - this is all within officially produced consoles. Sad, but good ones can be found if wanted.
Old 08-02-18, 04:31 PM   #11
Mark Shepherd
Cool New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtsang View Post
But maybe start trolling yard sales and retro stores rather than continuing to roll the dice on eBay.
That is well said. Definitely true. Ebay is nothing but a roll of the dice. I have had some luck and usually when I get lucky I am duped into thinking that I am always going to get the same luck. Then I get a clunker.

Thanks. I have really been trolling every place that I can troll. (Please don't think that I mean here!). I guess my last question would be if this is a fake Sega Genesis but it works when playing games, could it harm or damage a game that I put in it, like in the long run.
Old 08-02-18, 04:33 PM   #12
Mark Shepherd
Cool New Member

Wtsang if there is one positive out of this then it is that I am glad that I wasn't a Sega Fanboy when I was a little kid. I can handle disappointment a lot better now being much older.
Old 08-03-18, 05:26 PM   #13
wtsang

That's cool. Good luck finding a nice one.
Old 08-04-18, 10:17 PM   #14
milo bloom
DVD Talk Legend

Is that second controller a third party one? That could be the issue too. They weren't manufactured to the same standards as the 1st party ones.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 08-04-18, 10:42 PM   #15
story

Welcome, Mark, I hope you stick around and have a good experience. And thank you, everyone, for being so welcoming and helpful!
Old 08-04-18, 10:54 PM   #16
Kurtie Dee
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
Welcome, Mark, I hope you stick around and have a good experience. And thank you, everyone, for being so welcoming and helpful!
Seconded!

(Not a gamer, but liking the helpful, welcoming vibe.)
Old 08-08-18, 04:01 AM   #17
tanman
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really like this guy's channel. He puts out a lot of good stuff. I had no idea that there was a genesis 3. Might help you a little with the differences between the different versions.
Old 08-08-18, 05:49 PM   #18
Mark Shepherd
Cool New Member

Hi Milo Bloom. I think it is a third party controller. I have to go back to my house to see what it says on it! It says something on it that I think means it is a third party controller. I posted this same thing in a different video game forum. Here is something someone said. I don't know if this is right. Or you agree with it.

Quote:
Anyway to answer a few more questions, the much later 6 button controllers with the turbo switches are some of the worst that Sega ever released and most of them were released along side the Genesis model 3 in the late 90s. Most of those I've come across just have really shoddy wire within the controller cord that breaks. I much prefer to game on my Genesis with the original 3 button or 6 button controllers. I steer clear of the turbo ones because they either never work right and require repair, or mainly because they just don't feel right to me.

But I'm on the opposite side of the fence regarding the Genesis styling. I personally have always preferred the model 1 and only have model 2 units because I got them in bundles way back when. To me the model 1 will always been what I think of when I hear mention of the Sega Genesis.

As for ebay, I've not used it that often as I used to. At least not for retro gaming stuff, but I've always had good experiences buying on ebay. In fact my first Genesis I actually still play on nearly daily, I picked up in the late 90s, came from ebay and was the reason I signed onto ebay LOL.
Old 08-08-18, 05:50 PM   #19
Mark Shepherd
Cool New Member

Appreciate the welcome Kurtie Dee, Story and Michael!
Old 08-10-18, 05:14 AM   #20
cruzness
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shepherd View Post
Hi Milo Bloom. I think it is a third party controller. I have to go back to my house to see what it says on it! It says something on it that I think means it is a third party controller. I posted this same thing in a different video game forum. Here is something someone said. I don't know if this is right. Or you agree with it.
I remember those turbo controllers from back in the day. They were junk and the one I owned did exactly what you are describing