Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Doom Eternal (3/20/20: PC, PS4, XB1, Switch, Stadia)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Doom Eternal (3/20/20: PC, PS4, XB1, Switch, Stadia)

Old 03-29-20, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Doom Eternal (3/20/20: PC, PS4, XB1, Switch, Stadia)

Sometimes there's only one type of enemy (ie the floating eyeball things), sometimes there's multiple types. You just have to kill all the enemies in the specified time frame. They're usually around the 30 second range. Sometimes more, sometimes less. They don't appear until mission 2 (there's two of them in mission 2 and they're both pretty easy).

If you look at the map you can kinda see where they are when you're close. They're bright pink on the map.
Old 03-30-20, 03:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

some of this traversing is maddening. as bad if not more so than in Fallen Order...
Old 04-01-20, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Seriously, not that bad, but some of this traversing and double jump on rails and dash and shit takes particular angles and timing.
It gets so much worse. I'm just about at the end of the game, but this...?

Makes me want to give up entirely. I've burned through three lives. Literally dozens of attempts. Cannot for the friggin' life of me get the timing right. Propel through the air, grab onto a wall, jump onto a rocket-wall, jump onto a second rocket-wall, shoot an icon to drop some laser walls, and jump inside. That last one is the killer.
Old 04-01-20, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

^I wonder if you've chosen the maneuverability upgrade that's supposed to give you a lot more control in the air, and if it would help?

I'm starting to be okay with jumping around, though I still die too much. Granted, I'm not near the end, so I can, and probably will, eat those words.

My biggest beef, is still the constant, massive battles. It's just getting tedious. As it has been phrased by others, it's 'hallways connecting arenas.' You spend a good 10 minutes or more, in a single battle, then die at the end and have to start over. It's just not fun to have enemies spawn over and over and over until you finally die. I'm repeating myself, but the level design was so much better in the original.

It is still fun, especially rage mode, it just could be better.
Old 04-01-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
^I wonder if you've chosen the maneuverability upgrade that's supposed to give you a lot more control in the air, and if it would help?
I'm using that, yeah. One headache is that it's a shared button, and sometimes weapons I'm using will do something I don't want (like the heat blast for the plasma rifle) when I'm trying to slow time. The agonizing thing is that I can get so close. At least the checkpoint is right there. (I'm on something like life 6, continue 4.)

Edit! Took a break for lunch. Got it on my second try afterwards. Which sounds about right. I think the trick for me was to boost before the gate was open instead of after.
Old 04-01-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Unless thereís more in the final level that I have not seen, thereís not much swimming at all. But what little there is is too much.

I really wanted to finish this today. Itís starting to out stay itís welcome and is kind of dragging at this point. I made it to what I believe is the final level and I should finish tomorrow.

Although I did hit a platforming portion that almost made me uninstall the game today. It was awful, and took me honestly 20ish tries to make it. Canít wait for you all to get there.
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
It gets so much worse. I'm just about at the end of the game, but this...?

Makes me want to give up entirely. I've burned through three lives. Literally dozens of attempts. Cannot for the friggin' life of me get the timing right. Propel through the air, grab onto a wall, jump onto a rocket-wall, jump onto a second rocket-wall, shoot an icon to drop some laser walls, and jump inside. That last one is the killer.
This is the one.
Old 04-01-20, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I'm using that, yeah. One headache is that it's a shared button, and sometimes weapons I'm using will do something I don't want (like the heat blast for the plasma rifle) when I'm trying to slow time. The agonizing thing is that I can get so close. At least the checkpoint is right there. (I'm on something like life 6, continue 4.)

Edit! Took a break for lunch. Got it on my second try afterwards. Which sounds about right. I think the trick for me was to boost before the gate was open instead of after.
ugh. can't wait
Old 04-01-20, 05:49 PM

You know itís unfortunate that this game doesnít give me the sense of urgency to play like the first one did. Itís like I get to a point and Iím just done. No need to finish level, or particularly hard section. Iíll get to it tomorrow or something. Too bad. I mean, I still want to play and finish before moving on to something else, but doesnít quite give me that itch...
Old 04-01-20, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Same boat. I was addicted to the first, this one I'm enjoying but I feel no need to get back to it.
Old 04-01-20, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tough crowd.

I'm on my second playthrough and actually enjoying it more now than my first run through it. I feel like my first run was more experimenting with ALL the weapons and focusing too much on the challenges and masteries. Now that I know what weapons not to bother with and what actually works best for my play style, I've been pretty much ripping through the levels doom style.
Old 04-01-20, 07:23 PM

You know, when RE3 hits Friday, I may, just may, jump ship for a bit...
Old 04-01-20, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This game is fucking sweet!!! started it on Monday, I'm on level 5. I'm searching for everything so it's takes me a while to finish one level. Yup it can be tough and I die a lot especially the bullshit platform stuff. But love the feeling when I finish a Secret Challenge Battle. Give me my muthafucking key!
Old 04-03-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished this game to 100% today. Had 46 lives to spare at the end of my "extra life mode" run. The game is MUCH easier (and way more fun) the 2nd time through.
Old 04-03-20, 06:02 PM

i just have no desire to keep playing this. sure, i like the killing of beasties and that remains in tact, but getting these clues and exploration, which i enjoy...i see these bars and crawl ups and know i have to jump, double jump, dash, double jump again, dash, grasp and crawl again or whatever to get to some of these things or even to your goal in the level is just beyond frustrating and kinda defeating. just no desire...
Old 04-03-20, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So far on Chapter 9... this game is fucking sweet (as stated before). I decided to go back to replay 3 levels. One I was missing a vinyl, the other I missed a secret battle and lastly I was missing a Slayer gate. I coulda been done by now... oh well back to playing. Oh yeah also took a break to watch RISE OF SKYWALKER
Old 04-03-20, 08:15 PM

What are those red beastie markers in map sometimes and in 1st level or maybe 2nd, I was literally on the icon in map, but nothing triggered, no beastie? And thus remained red...
Old 04-03-20, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about, but the red markers on the map mean it's an area with a big battle and you have to clear all the enemies to proceed (similar to the first game where the path to continue the mission doesn't open until they're all dead (all the big demons anyway)).
Old 04-03-20, 09:18 PM

Yeah, some i know that’s what it means and when beat them turns green, but there was one on I think first level where I was literally on top of the red icon, but nothing came out and no beasties at all. Even went back by starting mission over. Still red...
Old 04-04-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I never finished the last Doom. Reading this thread tells me I will never even attempt this one.
Old 04-04-20, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I never finished the last Doom. Reading this thread tells me I will never even attempt this one.
do finish last one though. much different and better imo...
Old 04-04-20, 04:13 PM

this game is not fun.
Old 04-05-20, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The most outspoken Doom fan before this game came out is now the most outspoken against it.
Old 04-05-20, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i just have no desire to keep playing this. sure, i like the killing of beasties and that remains in tact, but getting these clues and exploration, which i enjoy...i see these bars and crawl ups and know i have to jump, double jump, dash, double jump again, dash, grasp and crawl again or whatever to get to some of these things or even to your goal in the level is just beyond frustrating and kinda defeating. just no desire...
This right here will be the reason I will never play the game. I loved the first one but held off on this to play my backlog. Platforming has no business being in FPS games. Posted that as my pet peeve in games in the thread on that.

Old 04-05-20, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first game had some platforming as well. Granted the dash and climb are new to Eternal, but the double jump has always been there. I played Doom (2016) a week before Eternal came out so it's still fresh in my mind. It had a few levels that required some perfectly timed jumps as well. I think people are making it a way bigger deal than it actually is. With the exception of the 2nd to last level in this game, it's really not bad at all. And honestly by the time you get there, you should be pretty comfortable with it. The actual battles are way harder than the platforming.
Old 04-05-20, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

The platforming isn't really that bad in this, imho. Though I'm still relatively early on in the game so maybe it gets worse.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.