Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Doom Eternal (3/20/20: PC, PS4, XB1, Switch, Stadia)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Doom Eternal (3/20/20: PC, PS4, XB1, Switch, Stadia)

Old 03-25-20, 02:43 AM
Cool New Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Doom Eternal (3/20/20: PC, PS4, XB1, Switch, Stadia)

Cannot wait to try it... currently downloading
Old 03-25-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Ugh. Swimming parts. The worst. Takes me back to Kameo (not in a good way).

Lol totally agreed.

Iíve moved past a lot of my issues with this game, but then they had to introduce a swimming mechanic which is unforgivable.

I think I should be able to wrap this one up today. Iím ready to get back to the mindless grind of Division 2 for a while.
Old 03-25-20, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm kind of fed up that this game seems to be running from one massive fight arena to the next. The first game had much better overall level design.

Haven't had the swimming portion, yet, so there's that to look forward to, based on the positive reviews!
Old 03-25-20, 07:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Swimming sounds very odd. How long are those segments? And why no more Rune trials? I always thought it was a fun, sometimes aggravating, but ultimately satisfying when you figured out the pattern of kills and won the new power. Oh well, but swimming? Really? Ugh!
Old 03-26-20, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unless thereís more in the final level that I have not seen, thereís not much swimming at all. But what little there is is too much.

I really wanted to finish this today. Itís starting to out stay itís welcome and is kind of dragging at this point. I made it to what I believe is the final level and I should finish tomorrow.

Although I did hit a platforming portion that almost made me uninstall the game today. It was awful, and took me honestly 20ish tries to make it. Canít wait for you all to get there.
Old 03-26-20, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like the average time to beat it is around 16 hours - so yeah, that's a bit too long for a game like this - maybe trim 4 hours of fat, and make it a tight 12 hours.
Old 03-26-20, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Looks like the average time to beat it is around 16 hours - so yeah, that's a bit too long for a game like this - maybe trim 4 hours of fat, and make it a tight 12 hours.
Yep. There's a clear 'point of no return' where you can't go back to your ship before the end of the game, and I hit that maybe two full missions ago, with one (I think) mission remaining.

I think upgrading the Super Shotgun should be on everyone's to-do list. Once it's at mastery level, the grappling hook sets enemies on fire, so when you shoot them they automatically drop armor. Also, coupled with the perk that slows time in mid-air, it's cool as hell to zip towards a flaming enemy in slow motion before you kill them.

I find myself not really using the end game weapons (ex BFG) all that much. It's nice to have them in a pinch, but most encounters I've been able to clear out with my regular arsenal. Maybe on higher difficulties they become more of a necessity.
Old 03-26-20, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm already at 10 hours, and nowhere near the end. I keep wasting time looking around, and attempting the challenges. And I also have the habit of pausing the game, and going to do something else, for a while. Not usually long, but 5 or 10 minutes here and there.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the Revenant drone. It was a bit too easy, but it was pretty cool!
Old 03-26-20, 06:48 PM

I’m glad it’s that long. For me, that means a good 3 or so months of playing and I love searching, so I’m gonna try to get all the goodies. I hated leaving Doom (2016) and glad I just finished again before this. So used to the mechanics from start even though parts still kick the ever living shit out of me. But, I fear I would hate to leave Eternal’s world as well. Hopefully the dlc’s are nice SP ones...
Old 03-27-20, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wrapped this one up tonight. The final boss is a real mother. If you die enough the game gives you the option to restart at the last checkpoint with some sort of super armor, and I gladly took it up on that offer, and it was still a pain in the ass.

I donít know if Iíve ever been so happy to be done with a game that I more or less enjoyed. Steam says 25 hours play time, but I let the game sit idle for long stretches, so Iíd put my time at the typical 16-18 hour mark, maybe a little more since I went back and replayed earlier levels a few times. They could, and should, have trimmed at least two hours off the game.
Old 03-27-20, 08:58 PM

Anyone change the climbing (right stick) skill to some other button that is better, more reasonable? Not loving that mechanic. And that button is horrible. I lose all my extra lives bc I’m double jumping, then dashing then right stick climb, sucks...
Old 03-27-20, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm playing on a PC, so the climbing button is the action button (E).

I find the best thing about climbing is the if you dash toward the climbable surface, you automatically grab it. Dash is pretty essential, so I've improved it, when possible.
Old 03-28-20, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Anyone change the climbing (right stick) skill to some other button that is better, more reasonable? Not loving that mechanic. And that button is horrible. I lose all my extra lives bc Iím double jumping, then dashing then right stick climb, sucks...
I don't know about changing the controls, but I'm not sure that you actually lose lives if you die from not making jumps. I feel like there was quite a few jumps that took me multiple tries and my extra life count didn't change. Seems like they only ever got subtracted if I got killed during a fight.
Old 03-28-20, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 19K View Post
I don't know about changing the controls, but I'm not sure that you actually lose lives if you die from not making jumps. I feel like there was quite a few jumps that took me multiple tries and my extra life count didn't change. Seems like they only ever got subtracted if I got killed during a fight.
yeah, i think if you miss a jump you just lose health. too many times, then you die...
Old 03-28-20, 02:58 PM

shit this game is fucking hard. i'm only in 2nd section or so of Exultia and getting my assed kicked. so many different enemies and goes on. i had it down to one with guy with turret, but i died and haven't gotten back since. i refuse to go down difficulty though...
Old 03-28-20, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wait until you get to later levels when that turret guy becomes as common as some of the other demons and there's multiple instances of him in one fight. Good times.

If you're struggling this early, you should probably drop the difficulty. The game gets much harder.

Have you done a gore nest yet? They're similar to the rune trials where it's a timed encounter that you have beat specific enemies. I just did one that I had to kill a turret guy, a fast snake thing (not sure what level those appear at but they're annoying as hell), and an invisible pinky all in under 30 seconds. And I didn't have any bfg ammo. Took me way more attempts than I care to admit.
Old 03-28-20, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 148 Likes on 100 Posts

Free Amazon Twitch Prime Loot

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot...M_DE01_P1_CRWN
Old 03-28-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait, I might be talking about a different turret guy. Lol. If you're only on the second level you should just quit now. Lol. Just kidding. Kinda.
Old 03-28-20, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm not proud of it, but I have to admit that I dropped my difficulty down before the first mission was even over (the final assault, to be fair, after 4 attempts when Iíd continually be down to just one or two dudes left). I'm sure I could've gotten past the part that was giving me a hard time, but I figured that if I'm getting whomped that hard at the beginning that I was just setting myself up for abuse and that I might as well embrace the inevitable.
Old 03-29-20, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What difficulty is everyone playing on? I always play Hurt Me Plenty for these, and it seems okay. My oldest boy usually plays Ultra Violence, but said he dropped down to Hurt Me Plenty this time.

I find it pretty intense at this difficulty, and I usually die more than I should, but eventually get through. I'm only on Gore Nest, though, so I have a long way to go.
Old 03-29-20, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played on whatever the default difficulty was. Canít remember what it was called though.
Old 03-29-20, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did the lowest difficulty, only because I'm doing every collectible, challenge, gore nest, slayer gate, weapon mastery, etc on the 1st playthrough. If you want to get 100% of the achievements you have to play through twice anyway so I might up it the second time around, although that's the "extra life mode" run so maybe not. I'm hoping my 2nd playthrough will be more of a speedrun as I won't have to worry about searching every last inch of the map and I'll kinda know what expect with each enemy. There are no difficulty related achievements this time around so it doesn't mean anything except internet bragging rights. Plus, there are some fights at the end (ie every instance of the marauder) that would just annoy the hell out of me on higher difficulties.
Old 03-29-20, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 19K View Post
Just wait until you get to later levels when that turret guy becomes as common as some of the other demons and there's multiple instances of him in one fight. Good times.

If you're struggling this early, you should probably drop the difficulty. The game gets much harder.

Have you done a gore nest yet? They're similar to the rune trials where it's a timed encounter that you have beat specific enemies. I just did one that I had to kill a turret guy, a fast snake thing (not sure what level those appear at but they're annoying as hell), and an invisible pinky all in under 30 seconds. And I didn't have any bfg ammo. Took me way more attempts than I care to admit.
yeah, I figured. I had to drop to wussy mode, but it is still challenging, so all for it. Finally got passed one section in Exultia when I dropped down. Oh well. Having fun playing sections over and over and over again. Seriously, not that bad, but some of this traversing and double jump on rails and dash and shit takes particular angles and timing. One I gave up and shut system off when I could’ve played more, but I was sick of not getting timing or even knowing exactly what to do. A lot more then likable, but core still in tact. Shooting bunch of ugly shit, but the lack of ammo so far is annoying.

Are there rune trials? I haven’t come across one. Got one without any challenge to do. I figured they did away with. And no gore nest yet. All that was was go up to it and interact and destroy heart. Then kill all around. Those were nothing. Now, they are timed to kill it? I don’t do well with these timed things. Are those numerous? Is there any reward?

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-29-20 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-29-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are no rune trials. I call them gore nests, not sure if that's the official name, but yeah those are the pink orbs where you destroy the heart and it starts a timed trial where you have to kill a specific combination of enemies. The trials are usually somewhat hidden so you might have to go out of your way to find them. If you beat it in time the reward is just weapon points that you use towards unlocking weapon skills and masteries similar to the first game. There's typically 2 gore nests per level. Some are easy, some are stupid hard. I think the first two might be on the 2nd mission so you may have done one already.

Also, there are still runes to pick up. But theyre more like collectibles and you just have to find them. There's just no time trial involved. Once you find it, it's yours to equip.
Old 03-29-20, 06:35 PM

Yeah, I know about runes. I said I got one like you said just collectible, but no challenge which I kinda liked. I’m pretty sure haven’t done gore nest yet. Didn’t find anything in level one and I think I got most collectibles. When you say combination, like specific types of enemies in a row or u lose?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.